ADVERTISEMENT

interesting ESPN piece on how Miles dug his own grave at LSU....

Good find and info........as I see it, and I may be wrong, LSU wants Tom Herman and that is why they moved so fast now after 4 games???? We shall see what they do and if they can get him!

Les Miles will have plenty of choices depending how season go at USC, ND, PSU, Texas, A&M, OU and if FSU Fisher goes elsewhere too?

i think Les Miles will sit out a year or two and do what CoachRod did, go TV, reflect, and get back in when he chooses and where?

It actually funny, but LSU did not Fired Miles, and A&M, UTenn, Auburn, Kentucky, Arkansas, and other SEC Programs also near looking for another Coach like Georgia last year, all are missing the points too???....IT IS NICK SABAN"S WINNING AT BAMA that is Firing these Coaches by beating them and winning SEC & NCS!

And so far nobody can stop Saban, except maybe Urban Meyers!!

The other Coach getting Program's to consider dumping their Head Coaches is Tom Herman at Houston, a Meyer's Branch Coach, everyone wants Herman NOW not later and that may extend to USC, ND, and TEXAS too soon!

We shall see?

Last edited:
If you read that article without reading his record you would think he only average 7 or 8 wins per year. His offenses were good enough for double digit wins, conference titles and a National Championship.

Just like Mark Richt at Georgia last year, Les was fired because he couldn't do what nobody else has done. Beat Lou Saban.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
In all seriousness, I do agree with you that fan bases can be crazy at times.

LSU fans act like it is their divine right to win 10 or 11 games per season. Take a look at their history and tell many how many coaches they've had that were more successful than Les Miles?

If there are any coaches on that list, it is not a long one.

Reactions: freddietee511
Last year when there was all that buzz about miles being fired, Jimbo had originally told them yes....then he changed his mind and backed out. That left LSU in a tight spot and they circled back to Les.

LSU finished 5-3 twice and 4-4 once the last three years in conference play. Which is basically average, and I am sure average isn't good enough for that fanbase with the talent they have.

LSU fans act like it is their divine right to win 10 or 11 games per season. Take a look at their history and tell many how many coaches they've had that were more successful than Les Miles?

Kinda reminds me of our basketball fans and Jamie Dixon.

Actually, it's pretty much par for the course for any fan base in that conference, safe for Vandy and Kentucky.

It's why I get a chuckle when posters here talk about a coach leaving Pitt due to our message boards. We ain't got nothing on some of those loons.

Reactions: sherepower
Wasn't Miles on the short list when Rodriguez was fired from UM? I vaguely remember all the hubabaloo when ESPN, etc. announced he was taking the job and then ended up staying at LSU. Oh well. The guy made a ton of money - he'll land somewhere else - soon.

Wasn't Miles on the short list when Rodriguez was fired from UM? I vaguely remember all the hubabaloo when ESPN, etc. announced he was taking the job and then ended up staying at LSU. Oh well. The guy made a ton of money - he'll land somewhere else - soon.
Close. It was 2007, when UM dumped Carr. Les won the SEC Championship game and ended up playing for a National Championship when Pitt upset WVU later that night.

Actually, it's pretty much par for the course for any fan base in that conference, safe for Vandy and Kentucky.

It's why I get a chuckle when posters here talk about a coach leaving Pitt due to our message boards. We ain't got nothing on some of those loons.

Pretty much true. Had UT lost to Florida on Saturday, the heat would have been turned up tremendously on Butch Jones, despite a 9 game win streak, the Vols largest in 18 years.

Sumlin appears to be safe for now. Buzzards are still hovering over Malzahn, Stoops, and Mason.

If you read that article without reading his record you would think he only average 7 or 8 wins per year. His offenses were good enough for double digit wins, conference titles and a National Championship.

Just like Mark Richt at Georgia last year, Les was fired because he couldn't do what nobody else has done. Beat Lou Saban.
:rolleyes::eek::cool:;)

Right, but we don't have the resources or the commitment level either. That's the difference. It's one thing to be crazy, it is quite another to be both insane and frugal. That's a losing combination.

Right, but we don't have the resources or the commitment level either. That's the difference. It's one thing to be crazy, it is quite another to be both insane and frugal. That's a losing combination.

Nobody at Pitt cares about us, what we say or do, the little guy, haven't the last 30 years showed you this ?

Why would you assume that everyone on this message board is a little guy?

I've got news for you, that is an incorrect assumption.

Also, what kind of business would not use this forum as a free market research tool?

People have no idea what the hell they're talking about.

Reactions: PITTLAW

LSU has taken a decided turn after the 2011 NC loss. They haven't won their division once and have only won 9, 8, and 8 regular season games the last 3 years. Then they started this year 2-2, losing to a bad Auburn team, and looking likely to finish with a max of 8 wins and no threat in the West. Since that dismantling in the 2011 NC in their backyard, the ship has been sinking in Baton Rouge. He hasn't been winning double digit games, conference titles or National Championships for a long time and that isn't going to cut it for the Tiger boosters.

I am not sure this is the best way to handle this, unless LSU can get Herman, Gary Patterson, or Bob Stoops, but they aren't firing a coach who is winning the SEC and NCs. They are firing a coach who is winning 8 or 9 games and not challenging for their division, but is among the highest paid in the business with a backyard absolutely chock full of talent.

I think it's Miles's amazingly bad clock and game management as much as anything else that drives LSU fans completely insane.

I watched that game on Saturday night and I don't give a damn about LSU or Auburn. However, I am telling you that I was literally in my game room yelling through my television at BOTH teams during various parts of that game.

The final play was not the only play that both teams mangled, they seemed to be taking turns making idiotic decisions.

However, the final play was especially ridiculous.

For people who did not see the game, LSU roared down the field and was in position to score. However, they also wasted a ridiculous amount of time in the final minute. Players weren't going out of bounds when they had the opportunity to do so, players were lallygagging getting back to the line of scrimmage, you name it.

The clock was running the entire time.. tick, tick, tick – tick – tick– tick, tick, tick....

Nobody seemed to give a shitt at all....at all.

However, what made the final play so especially ridiculous - and ultimately a fireable offense - was that there was a penalty on LSU immediately prior to it. That meant that the Bayou Bengals had a full 60-90 seconds to get lined up to get that snap off. However, they STILL couldn't do it!

It was impossible for me to understand why they were running around like chickens with their heads cut off prior to the snap whenever the officials had been gathering for a full minute plus prior to signaling for the clock to start.

I am not kidding when I say that I was literally yelling at my television, "What the hell are you idiots doing? Get lined up! You are not going to get this play off, you boneheads."

I must've said that two or three times before the snap. My wife, who was upstairs, yelled down to me, "Is everything all right down there?"

LOL! That's code for, "Shut the hell up, weirdo."

What made the play so incredible was that Auburn was ALSO unprepared!

For some imbecilic reason, the Tigers dialed up an all out blitz – which is its own special kind of batshitt – and were apparently so confident they would get home on the blitz that they didn't even bother to cover ANYONE!

LSU's quarterback, Ettling, was able to escape the rush and find a wide-open receiver in the back corner of the end zone. No receiver should ever be that wide open in that situation unless a DB either slips or runs into a teammate.

I have never seen a game in which I felt very strongly that both teams deserved to lose. However, that is how I felt on Saturday evening watching that game.

I think the SEC teams are so athletic but SOOOOOO poorly coached. I think Alabama is the only well coached team in that entire conference. The rest of them get by mostly on sheer athleticism. Their strategies and discipline and basic game awareness is beyond lacking.

How in the blue hell did all of those LSU players not get lined up in time? I still can't figure out what the hell everyone was doing while the officials were conferring and announcing the penalty? It was completely bizarre and I knew after the game that Miles's days in Baton Rouge were limited. I didn't think they would fire him this week but I knew he would not be back for another season.

Last edited:
Kinda reminds me of our basketball fans and Jamie Dixon.
when did Dixon win a national championship, consistently make the final four or elite eight (similar to making an appearance in one of the rose, Fiesta, etc bowls), etc? I really like Dixon, but this comparison is crazy.

Reactions: TD_istheman
I think it's Miles's amazingly bad clock and game management as much as anything else that drives LSU fans completely insane.

I watched that game on Saturday night and I don't give a damn about LSU or Auburn. However, I am telling you that I was literally in my game room yelling through my television at BOTH teams during various parts of that game.

The final play was not the only play that both teams mangled, they seemed to be taking turns making idiotic decisions.

For people who did not see the game, LSU roared down the field and was in position to score. However, they also wasted a ridiculous amount of time in the final minute. Players weren't going out of bounds when they had the opportunity to do so, players were lallygagging getting back to the line of scrimmage, you name it.

The clock was running the entire time.. tick, tick, tick – tick – tick– tick, tick, tick....

However, what made the final play so especially ridiculous - and ultimately a fireable offense - was that there was a penalty on LSU immediately prior to it. That meant that the Bayou Bengals had a full 60-90 seconds to get lined up to get that snap off. However, they STILL couldn't do it!

It was impossible for me to understand why they were running around like chickens with their heads cut off prior to the snap whenever the officials had been gathering for a full minute plus prior to signaling for the clock to start.

I am not kidding when I say that I was literally yelling at my television, "What the hell are you idiots doing? Get lined up! You are not going to get this play off, you boneheads."

I must've said that two or three times before the snap. My wife, who was upstairs, yelled down to me, "Is everything all right down there?"

For some imbecilic reason, the Tigers dialed up an all out blitz – which is its own special kind of batshitt – and were apparently so confident they would get home on the blitz that they didn't even bother to cover ANYONE!

LSU's quarterback, Ettling, was able to escape the rush and find a wide-open receiver in the back corner of the end zone. No receiver should ever be that wide open in that situation unless a DB either slips or runs into a teammate.

I have never seen a game in which I felt very strongly that both teams deserved to lose. However, that is how I felt on Saturday evening watching that game.

I think the SEC teams are so athletic but SOOOOOO poorly coached. I think Alabama is the only well coached team in that entire conference. The rest of them get by mostly on sheer athleticism. Their strategies and discipline and basic game awareness is beyond lacking.

How in the blue hell did all of those LSU players not get lined up in time? I still can't figure out what the hell everyone was doing while the officials were conferring and announcing the penalty? It was completely bizarre and I knew after the game that Miles's days in Baton Rouge were limited. I didn't think they would fire him this week but I knew he would not be back for another season.
Les is well kmown for his epic, inexplicable crunch time gaffes and clock mismanagement. His postgame explanations for those typically require translation for most of us who aren't fluent in Lesanese.

If they have to check a message board to see what fans are thinking, they are equally clueless.

Have to? Of course not. But it is a way to easily get a read on what people are thinking. They would have to be complete idiots not to be doing it.

LSU's offense is essentially Alabama's offense. If Miles is to be criticized for anything it's his marked inability to ever sign a decent QB(sound familiar).

Les is well kmown for his epic, inexplicable crunch time gaffes and clock mismanagement. His postgame explanations for those typically require translation for most of us who aren't fluent in Lesanese.

Last week was mild compared to some of the Les Miles follies over the years.

It shows you how well he recruits and how good a coach he is in other respects, because he is the worst at end of game clock management that I've ever seen. Easily.

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
Yes it is-it's basicly pro set power Fb.
Those two offenses are run very differently. Alabama's offense is far more nuanced than LSUs. Lot more motion, lot more variety in formations including some shotgun spread looks, a lot more inside zone run plays as opposed to traditional power run plays.

I was puzzled as to why there wasn't a 10 second runoff on LSU's penalty on the next to last play of the game.

Those two offenses are run very differently. Alabama's offense is far more nuanced than LSUs. Lot more motion, lot more variety in formations including some shotgun spread looks, a lot more inside zone run plays as opposed to traditional power run plays.

It is now that they have a QB who can run with the football this year. For the past couple of years they ran traditional power run plays.

1. I agree with badby2 regarding the difference between Alabama and LSU's offenses
2. Les Miles is a prime example of a coach staying in one place too long......That is the way of the world in college football now, you will never see a Paterno, Beamer, Mack Brown, Bobby Bowden situation ever again......Either by intense pressure and scrutiny or just simply a need for a coach to change, the max limit you will see is 10 to 12 years....

It is now that they have a QB who can run with the football this year. For the past couple of years they ran traditional power run plays.
I'm talking about the past few years, and specifically since Kiffin got there. Sure, they are run heavy, but they do it very differently than LSU does. Much more going on in the Bama run schemes and formations.

Plus take a look at Bama's stats in 2014, when Amari Cooper had 1800 receiving yards, and Blake Sims--right, who?--threw for almost 4000.

They do a very good job there of utilizing the best weapons they have regardless of whether its in the run game or the pass game. They have been far more multiple offensively than LSU, which was running stone age stuff with Cam Cameron.

I'm talking about the past few years, and specifically since Kiffin got there. Sure, they are run heavy, but they do it very differently than LSU does. Much more going on in the Bama run schemes and formations.

Plus take a look at Bama's stats in 2014, when Amari Cooper had 1800 receiving yards, and Blake Sims--right, who?--threw for almost 4000.

They do a very good job there of utilizing the best weapons they have regardless of whether its in the run game or the pass game. They have been far more multiple offensively than LSU, which was running stone age stuff with Cam Cameron.
Which is surprising because I thought Cam Cameron ran a prostyle but more open offense when he was a hot shot coordinator at San Diego

Without a doubt they are more multiple in the passing game than LSU, who has only had two QBs throw for 3,000 yards in the past 10 years when the likes of Odell Beckam Jr, Dwayne Bowe, Early Doucet, Brandon LaFell, Demetrius Byrd, Reuben Randle, etc. have passed through their program. Talk about an embarrassment of riches and doing less with more at the WR position.

I guess it depends on the definition of "nuanced". LSU ran a lot of zone read type stuff with their more mobile QBs. This resulted in a greater number of short passes within 5-10 yards from the line of scrimmage. Alabama likes to stretch the field a bit more and allow their QBs (who have been much better than LSU QBs recently) to throw the ball downfield to incredible receivers like Amari Cooper.

Without a doubt they are more multiple in the passing game than LSU, who has only had two QBs throw for 3,000 yards in the past 10 years when the likes of Odell Beckam Jr, Dwayne Bowe, Early Doucet, Brandon LaFell, Demetrius Byrd, Reuben Randle, etc. have passed through their program. Talk about an embarrassment of riches and doing less with more at the WR position.

I guess it depends on the definition of "nuanced". LSU ran a lot of zone read type stuff with their more mobile QBs. This resulted in a greater number of short passes within 5-10 yards from the line of scrimmage. Alabama likes to stretch the field a bit more and allow their QBs (who have been much better than LSU QBs recently) to throw the ball downfield to incredible receivers like Amari Cooper.
What I'm saying is Bama uses a lot more pre-snap motion, misdirection, offset formations, shotgun spread formations on run plays, etc. than LSU, which pretty much just lines up and runs traditional power blocking schemes.

ADVERTISEMENT