ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Lamar Patterson tweet on TJ McConnell

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
The "whether TJ McConnell could have gotten off the bench at Pitt" debate that turned into the "whether TJ McConnell could have started at Pitt" debate that turned into "why in the world didn't Jamie recruit TJM" debate was answered by some saying that Dixon did want TJM after he announced his transfer from Duquesne and TJM wanted to come here but Duq blocked him. Well, in a tweet thats a few months old, Lamar Patterson basically says that TJM wanted Pitt and vice versa.

"Loved watching TJ McConnell at Duq and became an even better player at Zona wish that transfer to Pitt would've went thru"

Also, on his Twitter is a link to a Top 10 Euro rookie list where he comes in at 5 and a link to Gilbert Brown having a recent play of the week in Italy's top division. I didnt realize GB was playing in Serie A. That's a great, high-paying league. Congrats to him!

https://twitter.com/LP21_

The "whether TJ McConnell could have gotten off the bench at Pitt" debate that turned into the "whether TJ McConnell could have started at Pitt" debate that turned into "why in the world didn't Jamie recruit TJM" debate was answered by some saying that Dixon did want TJM after he announced his transfer from Duquesne and TJM wanted to come here but Duq blocked him. Well, in a tweet thats a few months old, Lamar Patterson basically says that TJM wanted Pitt and vice versa.

"Loved watching TJ McConnell at Duq and became an even better player at Zona wish that transfer to Pitt would've went thru"

Also, on his Twitter is a link to a Top 10 Euro rookie list where he comes in at 5 and a link to Gilbert Brown having a recent play of the week in Italy's top division. I didnt realize GB was playing in Serie A. That's a great, high-paying league. Congrats to him!

https://twitter.com/LP21_

It's been fairly well documented that Duquesne blocked any transfer to Pitt.

Reactions: GrowthHormone
It's industry standard to block anyone on your schedule so the City Game probably cost us TJ.

It's been fairly well documented that Duquesne blocked any transfer to Pitt.
Uh, yea, I know. Everybody knows that. Duquesne blocked Pitt and RMU. What Lamar seems to be saying is TJ wanted to come to Pitt and we wanted him to play for us. Its never been officially reported that that was the case, not that his tweet makes it official but for those that have said he wanted us and we wanted him, it seems like that was true.

Uh, yea, I know. Everybody knows that. Duquesne blocked Pitt and RMU. What Lamar seems to be saying is TJ wanted to come to Pitt and we wanted him to play for us. Its never been officially reported that that was the case, not that his tweet makes it official but for those that have said he wanted us and we wanted him, it seems like that was true.

What I can tell you for certain is that TJ "told some people" that he was coming to Pitt before his transfer was officially announced.

What I also know for sure is that TJ wanted to play at a higher level. I can't say for certain if he really wanted Pitt and the ACC, or any higher level, whatever that is. I think it's possible that he knew he'd get blocked for Pitt, but put the Pitt rumor out there to get the conversation going.

What I can tell you for certain is that TJ "told some people" that he was coming to Pitt before his transfer was officially announced.

What I also know for sure is that TJ wanted to play at a higher level. I can't say for certain if he really wanted Pitt and the ACC, or any higher level, whatever that is. I think it's possible that he knew he'd get blocked for Pitt, but put the Pitt rumor out there to get the conversation going.
Makes sense. Makes a lot of sense. But DT, I forget which way this went, but Daryl Shephard played at both Pitt and Duquesne and didn't Marlon Ferguson or someone like that?? At the rivalry was real back then. I guess times change.

Last edited:
Makes sense. Makes a lot of sense. But DT, I forget which way this went, but Daryl Shephard played at both Pitt and PSU and didn't Marlon Ferguson or someone like that?? At the rivalry was real back then. I guess times change.
T.J. McConnell Transferring ... But Not To Pitt
By CardiacHill@AnsonWhaley on Mar 22, 2012, 12:00p 4

TWEET (3)
SHARE (2) PIN
I've got to admit I was surprised by T.J. McConnell's decision to transfer from Duquesne when I heard it driving in to work yesterday. Not only that, but a few others are leaving as well. The Dukes' program has made some strides under Ron Everhart and then to have this happen?

I felt bad for Duquesne since I think the city benefits by having more than one good program, but then I got to thinking about how McConnell might look in a Pitt uniform. That apparently won't happen, but maybe not for the reasons you think.

With the Chris Jones pickup a few weeks ago, Pitt is at their limit for players for next season. But as we've seen, a player 'moving on' definitely has happened under Dixon's watch.

McConnell, according to his father, is moving on because he wants to play at a higher level. Playing at Pitt and in the Big East/ACC certainly fits that criteria. But here's the thing - suiting up against the Dukes on an annual basis doesn't really appeal to the guard:

"We just decided that those are two schools we would not pursue, just because of local rivalries," Tim McConnell said. "We don't think it would be a good idea to leave, and come back and play Duquesne on a yearly basis. We will look into some schools, but we will not look into Pitt or Robert Morris."

Pitt obviously has a point guard in Woodall next season, but playing both at the same time in various points in a game could have been an option. Because Woodall's around, McConnell might not have been the perfect fit, but I would have loved to see what he could do at Pitt.

So where could he end up? Who knows. Adam, Our assistant editor over at SB Nation Pittsburgh says Penn State could be a great fit and I'm inclined to agree with his reasoning. But getting back to McConnell's desire to leave ...

I've got no issue with him wanting to play against better competition, but here's the thing.

Playing in the A-10 isn't exactly like many mid-major conferences. The Dukes play against Xavier and Temple, both pretty good programs. Saint Louis and UMASS also had good seasons this year and St. Bonaventure, Dayton, and La Salle all won 20 games as as well. Duquesne also took on Pitt and Arizona in the non-conference as well as George Mason and major conference team Penn State.
And here's the thing, McConnell's a very good player, but he's not been dominating the Dukes' foes. This year he averaged just over 11 points, four rebounds, and five assists a game. Good numbers, but they don't exactly scream that McConnell isn't getting any competition. The fact that two others are leaving the program as well really make me wonder if there's more to this story about the school, Everhart, or something else.

Either way, hope to see it end well for McConnell - I think he's a heck of a player.

Be sure to join Cardiac Hill's Facebook page and follow us on Twitter @PittPantherBlog for our regular updates on Pitt football and basketball.

Oh fun, it's been a while since we've had a conversation about McConnell.

Reactions: mvk112

Yea, we'll never know for sure and it doesn't really matter but Lamar's tweet certainly made it seem like TJ and Dixon wanted to hook-up for lack of a better term. FWIW, though I really like TJ's game, I think he's only a little better than Robinson offensively. He'd be a bigger defensive upgrade over Robinson, however and has better leadership qualities but all that said, I wouldn't think we would have won many more games with TJM. He's a perfect fit for a loaded team like AZ. Pitt needs a PG who can create offense and neither TJ, nor Robinson do that.

Oh fun, it's been a while since we've had a conversation about McConnell.
The real test is if McConnell threads have the staying power of the "Was it right to get rid of Walt/Wanny" threads that have been going on for many moons.

Makes sense. Makes a lot of sense. But DT, I forget which way this went, but Daryl Shephard played at both Pitt and Duquesne and didn't Marlon Ferguson or someone like that?? At the rivalry was real back then. I guess times change.
Sheppard played for Duquesne as a freshman. In fact, he was a key player in a Dukes victory over the Panthers. If I remember correctly, Sheppard wanted to play guard, as he had NBA dreams (don't they all), and knew he'd never make it as a forward. Jim Satalin wasn't inclined to play him in the backcourt, so he transferred. Unfortunately for him, the move to the BE allowed Pitt to upgrade it's recruiting, making Sheppard much less valuable going forward. Marlon Ferguson never played for Duquesne, but the 2 schools ended up locked in an intense recruiting battle for him. The story that was floating around was that the kid was leaning towards Duquesne, while his parents wanted him to attend Pitt. He too got buried when Pitt went to the BE. Both players probably would have played major roles for Pitt in the Eastern 8, but considering what happened with the move to the BE, both would have been better off at Duquesne.

Worth noting that Gilbert is playing with Brad's old club, clearly they enjoy the Pitt connection.

Last edited:
Of course, no one really ever said this. Some may have said he wouldn't have started, and few would him have predicted to be as good as he was. But no one ever said that he'd never get off Pitt's bench.
Are you sure about that? I seem to remember some posters being very dismissive about him when he was coming out of high school. After his first year at Duquesne, some of these admitted that he might be a useful player, but not a starter, or a guy who got major minutes. Then he became a guy who was "ok", but not in the same class as James Robinson.

Hey, I don't blame Jamie for not recruiting him. He was a classic "late bloomer". I just wanted to tweak the posters who were so dismissive of him 4-5 years ago.

Are you sure about that? I seem to remember some posters being very dismissive about him when he was coming out of high school. After his first year at Duquesne, some of these admitted that he might be a useful player, but not a starter, or a guy who got major minutes. Then he became a guy who was "ok", but not in the same class as James Robinson.

Hey, I don't blame Jamie for not recruiting him. He was a classic "late bloomer". I just wanted to tweak the posters who were so dismissive of him 4-5 years ago.

No one was really even worried about him coming out of high school. Why should anyone have been? But after his freshman year at Duquesne, I don't think anyone was overly dismissive.

No one was really even worried about him coming out of high school. Why should anyone have been? But after his freshman year at Duquesne, I don't think anyone was overly dismissive.
Here's the thing. There are folks that go nuts on Dixon for not getting every player we don't get, or any kid from western PA. I think some people may get sick of that and go too far negative in their analysis of a kid, though for sure TJ had some legit questions coming out of HS and Duquesne.

But you never see guys starting threads about the kids who these same posters melted down about who ended up not doing as much. It is always easier 4 years after the fact to pick and chose the few that this crowd gets right and say, See, I told you, while ignoring the five that were wrong. If some people are outraged on every kid we don't get, of course some will do well. But cherry picking those that do well and beating those to death, while ignoring the ones that end up not doing well is pretty dull.

The biggest reason most people were dismissive of TJ McConnell was because he committed to Duquesne as a 5'1" sophomore in high school. And then there was nothing to really suggest he was anything more than a mid-major level recruit until the state playoffs his senior year. Then Duquesne blocked him from transferring to Pitt.

If people want to revise history and think that Pitt/Dixon missed on TJ McConnell, because he didn't try to steal a No-Star (on this site) recruit away from the other local program at the last minute, then that's their own shortcoming.

Oddly, even when Duquesne gets things right, they get it wrong at the same time.
I want the AD job there.....
I've lurked on their board occasionally. Their AD is about as popular as Pedey was around here, and they're hoping for the same outcome. LOL!

It's way deeper than the AD. There's little to no commitment from the top 2 dogs at Duquesne. I believe 1 or both are leaving soon so we'll see if anything changes.

Oddly, even when Duquesne gets things right, they get it wrong at the same time.
I want the AD job there.....

The situation with Duquesne is very Wannstedt-ian. Unpopular AD fires a coach who had some success but came up short when it mattered. Fires the coach on the eve of the best incoming recruiting class in recent history. Sound familiar?

At any rate, DK had a link to his original Trib story on the firing; just curious for those who follow b-ball closely. Did any of the players mentioned in this story ever amount to anything? Or was it like Pitt and a bunch of Vic Chestnuts, Bill Beltons, and the QB from Rutgers?
http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/s_788366.html#axzz3ccSky2Lp

Donovan Jack had a nice sophomore year at Penn State, but his junior year this past year, he took a step back. I would guess he'd be a good option in the Atlantic Ten.

Willie Moore was okay at Miami (OH), but likely wouldn't make a huge difference at Duquesne. He averaged 9 points his first year there, and 7 this past year. He did shoot 38% from 3pt this year.

Khalil Johnson was the best of the recruits I believe, and he quit basketball at Cal in 2013. Probably would have played a much bigger role at Duquesne, who knows how that would've turned out.

Brandon Taylor played 30+ mpg for Utah the past two years, averaged over 10 points per game both years, and shot 40%+ from 3pt both years. He'd be a big time PG in the Atlantic Ten.

Coty Clarke had 2 pretty good years at Arkansas. He was a JUCO kid.

Moore and Jack were the only 2 who were committed I think, the other three were interested though.

Last edited:
Donovan Jack had a nice sophomore year at Penn State, but his junior year this past year, he took a step back. I would guess he'd be a good option in the Atlantic Ten.

Willie Moore was okay at Miami (OH), but likely wouldn't make a huge difference at Duquesne. He averaged 9 points his first year there, and 7 this past year. He did shoot 38% from 3pt this year.

Khalil Johnson was the best of the recruits I believe, and he quit basketball at Cal in 2013. Probably would have played a much bigger role at Duquesne, who knows how that would've turned out.

Brandon Taylor played 30+ mpg for Utah the past two years, averaged over 10 points per game both years, and shot 40%+ from 3pt both years. He'd be a big time PG in the Atlantic Ten.

Coty Clarke had 2 pretty good years at Arkansas. He was a JUCO kid.

Moore and Jack were the only 2 who were committed I think, the other three were interested though.
Amadio is leaving Duquesne for Quiinpiac.
Safe to say, they won't be joining the Big East anytime soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT