ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting NCAAT draw for men's soccer

I was in Akron as of today and let me tell you. It was colder than a witch’s titty. It was mid 20s but windchill put in in single digits. Our hotel had free hot chocolate in the lobby and I think I drank about 20 cups of coffee and 10 cups of hot chocolate in two days.
Yeah, knowing the type of crowds they get, I was disappointed to see that there was little atmosphere yesterday due to the weather. I guess it was a good thing.

The bleachers are normally full and they charge premium pricing for those seats. The bleachers behind the goals are general admission and cheap. The small hillside between the goal and the bleachers are often filled 5-6 people deep and is where the students watch. They are usually there banging their drums and singing. They make it tough for the visiting GK.

A few years ago my daughter was on a recruiting trip there and we took in an Akron mens game vs Pitt on a Friday night and then stayed the weekend and watched the women on Sunday. It was early in Jay’s tenure. Akron had won but I was just happy that Pitt hung with them and had quality looks on goal. That’s how far we’ve come. But that atmosphere for that game was electric. I’m sure there were a couple thousand there. They had fireworks and all kinds of festivities. Yesterday had nothing.

Yeah, knowing the type of crowds they get, I was disappointed to see that there was little atmosphere yesterday due to the weather. I guess it was a good thing.

The bleachers are normally full and they charge premium pricing for those seats. The bleachers behind the goals are general admission and cheap. The small hillside between the goal and the bleachers are often filled 5-6 people deep and is where the students watch. They are usually there banging their drums and singing. They make it tough for the visiting GK.

A few years ago my daughter was on a recruiting trip there and we took in an Akron mens game vs Pitt on a Friday night and then stayed the weekend and watched the women on Sunday. It was early in Jay’s tenure. Akron had won but I was just happy that Pitt hung with them and had quality looks on goal. That’s how far we’ve come. But that atmosphere for that game was electric. I’m sure there were a couple thousand there. They had fireworks and all kinds of festivities. Yesterday had nothing.

Official attendance was 586.

I wonder if, like Pitt and seemingly most other schools these days, Akron is off all week for Thanksgiving and the students are already at home.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT