ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting NCAAT draw for men's soccer

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
We host Horizon Tournament Champ Cleveland State and then go to #16 Akron Sunday. #1 seed Kentucky awaits.

So Pitt, in essence, got the 17 seed which you cant really argue with. I was at Pitt/Akron earlier and the 2 teams were very evenly matched. Probably have to go with Akron at home though in what should be a raucous environment.

If Pitt were to get past Akron, you cant ask for a more beatable #1 seed to play than Kentucky. That may sound strange since they actually haven't been beaten. But they play in the quasi-mid-major Sun Belt and had a pretty weak schedule. I am definitely picking the Pitt/Akron winner to beat Kentucky.

We host Horizon Tournament Champ Cleveland State and then go to #16 Akron Sunday. #1 seed Kentucky awaits.

So Pitt, in essence, got the 17 seed which you cant really argue with. I was at Pitt/Akron earlier and the 2 teams were very evenly matched. Probably have to go with Akron at home though in what should be a raucous environment.

If Pitt were to get past Akron, you cant ask for a more beatable #1 seed to play than Kentucky. That may sound strange since they actually haven't been beaten. But they play in the quasi-mid-major Sun Belt and had a pretty weak schedule. I am definitely picking the Pitt/Akron winner to beat Kentucky.
Wasnt the Sun Belt number 1 in overall RPI? Clemson as a 6 seed is a little ridiculous.

Wasnt the Sun Belt number 1 in overall RPI? Clemson as a 6 seed is a little ridiculous.
5th. But its really just a "high mid-major" league. They only got 2 teams in with Marshall being the other. I dont love 7 of the national seeds going to non-power conference teams. Is Cornell, Tulsa, and Lipscomb really better than Pitt?

Akron game atmosphere might be the best in the country and it’s one of the best stadiums and fields in the country. They will have a huge crowd and student section. It won’t be easy.

5th. But its really just a "high mid-major" league. They only got 2 teams in with Marshall being the other. I dont love 7 of the national seeds going to non-power conference teams. Is Cornell, Tulsa, and Lipscomb really better than Pitt?
Of course not. But as I argued in the volleyball thread, in addition to a strong schedule, sometimes you just need to win more games. And those draws in our record are a plenty.

Reactions: jctrack
Akron game atmosphere might be the best in the country and it’s one of the best stadiums and fields in the country. They will have a huge crowd and student section. It won’t be easy.
They wont beat Akron. This isnt a great Pitt team.

Akron 2
Pitt 1

One and done just like I said before the season

I'm not sure exactly what you are getting at, but the women's tournament has 64 teams and the men's only has 48, so it can't be exactly the same.
Of course, that’s what I mean, different number of teams and teams getting a bye into next round. Why are they different, is it because there are more womens teams and conferences so larger number of teams. Maybe I should have just said why are they both different.

I didn't see West Virginia or Penn St. When do they play?🤣
WVU was the 2nd worst team I saw Pitt play other than Howard. To give you an idea how bad the Sun Belt is, they finished 4th in a 9 team league. So hope we get a chance at "#1" Kentucky. I am more afraid of Akron.

that sounds about right. That’s generally how many D1 schools there are each year.

@Sean Miller Fan - How did SMU get one of the top 16 seeds? I didnt see them ranked by topdrawer or anyone else the entire season.
We both know rankings in any sport are meaningless. SMU's RPI was 14. Say what you want about RPI but that's the primary factor for seeding.

I also take back what I said about our draw. I was looking at it like if we had to draw a 1 seed in the Sweet 16, a quasi-mid-major like Kentucky would be the one to pick. However, the game at Akron will be very tough, almost unwinnable considering how poor we are on the road especially on grass. I would have much preferred a mid-major in the R32. UNCG, Lipscomb, SMU, friggin Cornell, etc. I mean Pitt would be a HEAVY favorite over Cornell. If we use a football analogy, Pitt would be a 14 point favorite at Cornell. Instead, we'll be like a 5 point underdog at Akron.

We did score 3 unanswered goals against Akron, so they can be had. Just a matter of getting out of the gate quicker this time and not falling behind with sloppy play. I think Gallina played heavy minutes that game and did not play well. It would be nice if we could get Abdulnadi back, along with Leerman and Gilman, not a horrible back line. Sullivan's played well late. Maybe Almeida starts to play well. Lots of variables. I was hoping to draw Lipscomb in round 2, but nothing we can do. Kentucky is also grass, and oddly enough, their field looks like sh*t. You'd think they'd be good at turf maintenance.

We did score 3 unanswered goals against Akron, so they can be had. Just a matter of getting out of the gate quicker this time and not falling behind with sloppy play. I think Gallina played heavy minutes that game and did not play well. It would be nice if we could get Abdulnadi back, along with Leerman and Gilman, not a horrible back line. Sullivan's played well late. Maybe Almeida starts to play well. Lots of variables. I was hoping to draw Lipscomb in round 2, but nothing we can do. Kentucky is also grass, and oddly enough, their field looks like sh*t. You'd think they'd be good at turf maintenance.
Well there’s not a better surface in the country than Akrons. Well maybe Penn St because that’s their specialty. But Akrons surface is as manicured as Augusta National. Let’s hope it helps us.

Reactions: Brian Brush Fan
Not a good night for the ACC teams. High Point beat North Carolina 2-0. Ohio State beat Wake 3-0. Louisville scored a late goal to take Western Michigan to overtime, but WMU scored early in overtime and leads 2-1.

Not a good night for the ACC teams. High Point beat North Carolina 2-0. Ohio State beat Wake 3-0. Louisville scored a late goal to take Western Michigan to overtime, but WMU scored early in overtime and leads 2-1.
Wow the Big South and the MAC getting it done. Soccers a funny game.

ACC men and Women just not as dominating this year as last. I think on the woman’s side, Duke, UNC, FSU, and ND should have the most success, but think FSU might not be the better of that list. Pitt women have a tough opponent with Georgetown.
Pitt women need to score early and come out fast. Georgetown women have a solid defense and can just hang with anyone.

But I cannot believe how poorly the mens side did, thankfully Pitt showed up last night. That game really should have been like 4-1.
Big East Georgetown and Creighton men move on, and freakin Penn survives by winning 3-0 over Rutgers. Penn was horrible last year but finally figured out how to score.

I skipped the game last night due to weather and hoops. I watched it on delays on basketball commercial breaks and after. Cleveland State looked ok. Lower-level ACC like NC State, BC which is good for a mid-major. Pitt had most of the ball but didnt create many good chances. At no point, though, after watching a few minutes did I feel Pitt could lose

The crowd seemed light. And did Cleveland State bring a bus of students? The crowd noise didnt seem right? I could hear this girl screaming at weird times.

I’ve watch a bunch of games for womens ncaa, and fan support has been extremely week. I understand the PSU WVU game with the snow and cold, but Stanford BYU has 5 people in the stands. More ball boys than fans.

I’ve watch a bunch of games for womens ncaa, and fan support has been extremely week. I understand the PSU WVU game with the snow and cold, but Stanford BYU has 5 people in the stands. More ball boys than fans.
Has to be at Stanford. They hate sports. BYU probably could have probably got 70K for it at their place. Massive school and religious pride/support

Reactions: LVNVPanther
I was in Akron as of today and let me tell you. It was colder than a witch’s titty. It was mid 20s but windchill put in in single digits. Our hotel had free hot chocolate in the lobby and I think I drank about 20 cups of coffee and 10 cups of hot chocolate in two days.

ADVERTISEMENT