ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Potential Scenario

If the playoff goes to 8 teams, the New SEC could have 5

If the playoff goes to 12, the new SEC could have 7

The new system will likely have a spot for the best of the crap leagues,

Leaving Clemson OSU, ND and maybe USC or Oregon.

The point being, I'm not so sure ND has an easier path to a new playoff system by remaining independent.

I think the B1g is going to make a huge pitch for ND.

I have a sick feeling the ACC will end up the Pac 12 East, if it isnt already.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Wouldn't be bad. Although Michigan and Ohio State would seem like one of the more obvious pairings for the same division.

What I find interesting is that if the next step is actually four 16-team conferences (which I’m not certain is the case), that means someone in the current Power 5 (64+Notre Dame) will be left out. It might come down to Baylor and TCU, and in this scenario it appears the Bears won out.
TCU would be out imho with 64 teams. The more things change to larger conferences the more I see ND joining a conference.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
This makes way too much sense. Which someone else said, it won't happen. There is no one out there looking out for the overall health of college athletics. These 64 schools have always been a part of the "in crowd". Unfortunately, this is going to be done in a messy fashion and there will be multiple schools left out, and a future where people may be wondering "hmm, if we just looked at this organized, this may have worked".

Reactions: Mikefln
This makes way too much sense. Which someone else said, it won't happen. There is no one out there looking out for the overall health of college athletics. These 64 schools have always been a part of the "in crowd". Unfortunately, this is going to be done in a messy fashion and there will be multiple schools left out, and a future where people may be wondering "hmm, if we just looked at this organized, this may have worked".
I have to think that the TV networks have input and they want many games with meaning ..... which translates to conferences and a decent amount of teams! It is all about $$$$

posted in another thread but now rumors (always unsubstantiated of course) of big 10 looking at aau schools in pac ten. saw a colin cowherd tweet on it. again, another rumor in an endless sea of rumors so who knows..

ND isn't joining anything because they don't have to. This was negotiated with the 12 team expansion. They can't get a bye, but they can be in the playoffs every year if they meet minimum requirements.
And that shows how underhanded this whole thing is. The SEC commish was leading the 12 team playoff discussion all while knowing he was expanding his conference. Making sure ND has a way into the playoffs without having to join the ACC.

If the playoff goes to 8 teams, the New SEC could have 5

If the playoff goes to 12, the new SEC could have 7

The new system will likely have a spot for the best of the crap leagues,

Leaving Clemson OSU, ND and maybe USC or Oregon.

The point being, I'm not so sure ND has an easier path to a new playoff system by remaining independent.

I think the B1g is going to make a huge pitch for ND.

I have a sick feeling the ACC will end up the Pac 12 East, if it isnt already.
LOL!

Reactions: FireballZ
If ND would just suck it up, this could happen. Or if the conferences would just force them.

Though, it could also happen with another team in NDs spot, too.

If ND would just suck it up, this could happen. Or if the conferences would just force them.

Though, it could also happen with another team in NDs spot, too.
1 vs 63 is dangerous odds. Maybe ND could pull it off? 😏 Or maybe not? 🤷‍♂️

If you go to Four 16-Team Conferences and play 10 conference games, then ND will have to join.
BINGO. This has been predicted for a long time. Everyone knew that the Big 12 was vulnerable and was going to go away. Four 16 team conferences with two divisions in each. This will shake down when it’s all over..,

Reactions: Las Panteras
And when that day comes, ND will most likely join the B10, because it will benefit them more financially. In the meantime, the ACC is going to continue to bend over for them.
That day might be within the next 5 years and they would join the ACC in that scenario.

Whoever made that chart is clueless since there’s no way that the PAC12 would add Baylor, the PAC 12 schools want no part of an ultra conservative scandal ridden private Baptist school with a small fan base located on the middle of nowhere.

Also the ACC scenario should have ND, Pitt, Syracuse and BC in a pod and Louisville, WVU, VT and UVA in a pod, ND would want to play Pitt, Cuse and BC every season since they have fans in those areas.

And that shows how underhanded this whole thing is. The SEC commish was leading the 12 team playoff discussion all while knowing he was expanding his conference. Making sure ND has a way into the playoffs without having to join the ACC.
It's not like it was a big secret, 1 of the 4 people working on it was Notre Dame's AD...

there’s no way that the PAC12 would add Baylor, the PAC 12 schools want no part of an ultra conservative scandal ridden private Baptist school with a small fan base located on the middle of nowhere.

Also the ACC scenario should have ND, Pitt, Syracuse and BC in a pod and Louisville, WVU, VT and UVA in a pod, ND would want to play Pitt, Cuse and BC every season since they have fans in those areas.

Welp,

They did take Utah. Is there a more conservative state ?

It's not like it was a big secret, 1 of the 4 people working on it was Notre Dame's AD...
The secret was that a seperate deal was being brokered for SEC expansion, unbeknownst to the public. Did I really need to have explain that?

It could happen if the 64 Presidents get together. That is not that many.

It could happen if the 64 Presidents get together. That is not that many.
But everyone looks out for themselves. You see all the reasons stated about as to why this won't work. And they are legit. There just isn't anyone that will sit back and say "let's work on the greater good".

In fact I thought the 12 team playoff proposal and the group presenting that was actually doing that for the first time. Then literally a week later, boom.

But everyone looks out for themselves. You see all the reasons stated about as to why this won't work. And they are legit. There just isn't anyone that will sit back and say "let's work on the greater good".

In fact I thought the 12 team playoff proposal and the group presenting that was actually doing that for the first time. Then literally a week later, boom.
It depends if you are talking NFL level media contracts just simple game theory would make them see it is the best solution. However, we are discussing Universities Presidents.

Reactions: JSSTartan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT