ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update International prospects among standouts at Pitt's latest camp

Chris Peak

Lair Hall of Famer
Staff
Jun 19, 2004
There was an international flavor to Pitt’s prospect camp on Sunday, with nearly a dozen - by my count - prospects coming to the South Side from outside the U.S. borders. They came as part of a tour organized by PPI Recruits, a group that helps international prospects get exposure in the United States. They've been on the road to a number of college camps in the last week or two, and they rolled into Pittsburgh on Sunday.

- The one international prospect who stood out to me the most was Phil Oesterling. A 6’2” 220-pound defensive end prospect, Oesterling was dominant in one-on-one’s, using explosiveness and an impressive engine to win every rep that I saw (and I watched most of them). Pitt was Oesterling’s final camp after he worked out at Mercer, Kennesaw State, Memphis, Michigan, Ohio State and Central Michigan.

He told me he was confident that Central Michigan would be coming through with an offer, and after a phone call with the Michigan coaches on Sunday night, Oesterling will be heading back to Ann Arbor on Thursday for a private workout.

- I was also impressed with cornerback Tyriq Taiwo. He’s from England and he’s a big corner - probably big enough to play safety in Pitt’s defense at 6’1” and pushing 200 pounds. But he lined up at cornerback during drills and stood out for more than his size. Taiwo had a really nice pass breakup on the first rep of one-on-ones and continued to do things like that throughout the camp, rarely getting targeted and breaking up passes when quarterbacks tried to test him.

Taiwo has been playing JUCO ball the last few years, with stops at Snow in Utah, then at Navarro in Texas and Independence C.C. in Kansas. He picked up a few offers along the way, but coaching changes threw a few wrenches into things, so he’s still looking for a home for 2024.

I don’t think Pitt has the space to add him, but there were a lot of college coaches at Sunday’s camp; at least one of them should see the upside and have the room for a defensive back with his size.

- The other standout corner from the PPI tour was Franck Elokan. He’s a 2025 prospect from Belgium with five years of eligibility, and like Taiwo, he looks the part. Elokan has good size and had a knack for making plays on the ball.

I think that being international has kept guys like Taiwo and Elokan and Oesterling under the radar - or off the radar entirely. If they were playing in this country, I don’t think they’d be hunting for offers right now.

- A couple linebackers from the PPI tour had good days as well: Floris Akova (Holland) and Jadiel Wahab (England).

- One other foreign player I wanted to mention was quarterback Elijah Barnes. He stood out at first with his size - he’s in the 6’4” range - and his throwing arm, since he’s a lefty (like Kade Bell and 2024 Pitt recruit Julian Dugger). I’m piecing together info on Barnes, but it looks like he’s been out of high school for a couple years and was on the roster at Carleton University in Ottawa last season, although it doesn’t look like he played a lot.

I don’t know where Barnes will end up, but he has a good arm and threw some really nice passes at Sunday’s camp.

- They weren’t all international on Sunday. Malvern Prep athlete Bernard Blakey was at the camp, and while he is listed in the Rivals database as a tight end, Pitt is recruiting him as a defensive end, which is where he worked out for the coaches.

Blakey is a tall, thin athlete - close to 6’5” and about 215 pounds - and that really stands out in a shorts-and-shirts camp with no pads to help him fill out. He’s athletic and can move, but he’s going to need to add some bulk at the next level.

Blakely has an offer from Pitt and is scheduled to take an official visit with the Panthers this weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News