ADVERTISEMENT

Is College Football all smoke and mirrors?

MorningCoffee13

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2023
I look forward to the 12 team playoff because it seems like college football has become impossible to tell which teams are truly the best or just the best in their conference. It seems that if any “top 20 team” travels to play even someone half decent, they lose. Then other elite teams play embarrassingly weak opponents as late as this past weekend. Typically the top out of conference games happen at the beginning if the season to allow recovery from any loss.

So the bulk of the season are conference games that weed out who really is the elite in the conference. But what about the teams that finish below te top two or three? Are they actually any good or just a product of a great PR schedule? At one point Carolina was 10th in the country but now they suck.

The top four in the CFP seem to be almost a given unless a team, like Florida State, pulls off a slight surprise year. Moving to 12 teams hopefully allows for less manipulation of perception, but who knows. Why would a team like Penn State or LSU or Clemson even risk anything other than a conference loss.

College football at this point sort of feels like AEW rasslin. Baby faces and Heels

I look forward to the 12 team playoff because it seems like college football has become impossible to tell which teams are truly the best or just the best in their conference. It seems that if any “top 20 team” travels to play even someone half decent, they lose. Then other elite teams play embarrassingly weak opponents as late as this past weekend. Typically the top out of conference games happen at the beginning if the season to allow recovery from any loss.

So the bulk of the season are conference games that weed out who really is the elite in the conference. But what about the teams that finish below te top two or three? Are they actually any good or just a product of a great PR schedule? At one point Carolina was 10th in the country but now they suck.

The top four in the CFP seem to be almost a given unless a team, like Florida State, pulls off a slight surprise year. Moving to 12 teams hopefully allows for less manipulation of perception, but who knows. Why would a team like Penn State or LSU or Clemson even risk anything other than a conference loss.

College football at this point sort of feels like AEW rasslin. Baby faces and Heels

Can you imagine PSU getting in a 12 teamer after beating 10 bad teams and losing their only 2 games vs good teams. They'll be there next year. Just need to get off the bus 10 times.

Can you imagine PSU getting in a 12 teamer after beating 10 bad teams and losing their only 2 games vs good teams. They'll be there next year. Just need to get off the bus 10 times.
Exactly. How long will it take until they no longer play any Power team in OOC play?>

Really the best thing to do is just take the idea of "best teams" out of it altogether, because that's subjective, just award the playoff spots to the teams that win their conferences automatically, I don't see how that is wrong? Win on the field and you're in, who cares if the team you beat is better on paper, they lost on the turf, I don't get how people feel bad for them? In reality being the champion has absolutely nothing to be with being the best team, sometimes the champion is the best team, sometimes not.

Disgustingly true. Next year they swap out a loss to Michigan to a loss at USC.

If you can just walk off the bus and roll 10 opponents, you probably should be in a 12 team playoff.

College football is all about talent procurement.

Reactions: Pitt8189
If you can just walk off the bus and roll 10 opponents, you probably should be in a 12 team playoff.

Exactly. Pitt fans like to penalize them for playing exactly to relatively high, albeit not elite, expectations. I'd like to se what Pitt's record would be against Iowa (31), Rutgers (21), West Virginia (23), Illinois (17), Northwestern (28), and Maryland (36)... all teams likely going to a bowl.

In the parentheses are the amount of points Penn State beat them all by. All more than what they lost to Michigan (9) and Ohio State (8) by. So yeah - they're not as good as the best of the best. They're also significantly better than most of the teams in college football.

Pretty much. And they don't play Michigan next season and get Washington the year after Pennix leaves. But I think Franklin will shat the bed against someone.

To a point. However, the B10 is really just a mid-major league with 3 P5 teams in OSU, Mich, and PSU. The talent level in the rest of that league is beyond awful.

To a point. However, the B10 is really just a mid-major league with 3 P5 teams in OSU, Mich, and PSU. The talent level in the rest of that league is beyond awful.
This year the ACC doesn’t have 3 FSU, Louisville I guess NC St then teams with the same 6-5, 5-6 as the B1G. Hate sure clouds your vision, and you over state how bad some of those teams are.

This year the ACC doesn’t have 3 FSU I guess UNC then teams with the same 6-5, 5-6 as the B1G. Hate sure clouds your vision, and you over state how bad some of those teams are.

The ACC sucks too. The B10 and ACC are both really bad leagues. ACC is a little stronger in the middle and bottom. B10 stronger at the top with its Top 3.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT