ADVERTISEMENT

Is Kenny Pickett the last of a dying breed?

Las Panteras

All Conference
May 11, 2014
A buddy was reminiscing about an old Gene Collier article where he stated (correctly, I think), that the Pirates will NEVER have another hall of fame player go in as a Pirate.

We started discussing CFB and he believes that a guy like Pickett, a QB who A) stayed all 4 years and B) stayed at the same school, and made it to the NFL is something that will be come extremely rare.

I suspect we will see a few examples going forward, but not many to be sure.

A buddy was reminiscing about an old Gene Collier article where he stated (correctly, I think), that the Pirates will NEVER have another hall of fame player go in as a Pirate.

We started discussing CFB and he believes that a guy like Pickett, a QB who A) stayed all 4 years and B) stayed at the same school, and made it to the NFL is something that will be come extremely rare.

Collier likes to formulate clever sounding arguments but it's not a systemic problem that prevents the Pirates from winning. It's the owner.

Same with Pitt. You have an all American DT this year who was in a similar position and chose to stay. It turned on wanting to play for a position coach that gave him the best chance to get to the NFL. Sometimes you just don't want to look for greener pastures.

Collier likes to formulate clever sounding arguments but it's not a systemic problem that prevents the Pirates from winning. It's the owner.

Same with Pitt. You have an all American DT this year who was in a similar position and chose to stay. It turned on wanting to play for a position coach that gave him the best chance to get to the NFL. Sometimes you just don't want to look for greener pastures.
Your point is valid. I Don't disagree

But look at the QUARTERBACK carousel this year. My post is specific to the QB position.

Your point is valid. I Don't disagree

But look at the QUARTERBACK carousel this year. My post is specific to the QB position.
I think some of it has to do with the talent around them. If your stud WR's are all packing it in and leaving for the NFL, why would you not want to look elsewhere? I also think that the talent level at QB is a bit diluted at the moment so a lot of schools are looking for a guy that can get them through the next season.

Pitt‘s opponent today has a QB that has started his entire career there and will be drafted in the NFL. DTR won’t be a 1st round pick like Pickett, but will be more like a 5th-6th round guy.

Pitt‘s opponent today has a QB that has started his entire career there and will be drafted in the NFL. DTR won’t be a 1st round pick like Pickett, but will be more like a 5th-6th round guy.

Came here to say this. You'll have dudes who do 4 years at the same place and get drafted all the time. 1st round will be rare though and they'll all be from non-powerhouses like Pitt and Arkansas.

Of course not. QBs like Young from Alabama, who is going to lure them away? Plus, a player like Pickett, who played relatively poorly most of his career statistically will probably continue to play at his team, especially when you consider the backups are transferring out more because they want a starting role.

i think the NIL business was still new and had Pickett been a year or two later, some school would have made him an offer he couldnt refuse. If a guy like Mayo got a few million dollar offer to transfer, Pickett would have as well.

Came here to say this. You'll have dudes who do 4 years at the same place and get drafted all the time. 1st round will be rare though and they'll all be from non-powerhouses like Pitt and Arkansas.
Good one with the Arkansas mention, KJ Jefferson definitely one of those guys who someone in the NFL will draft late hoping he can take the next step.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
ADVERTISEMENT