ADVERTISEMENT

Is Murphy available for Clemson?

Concussion protocols are BS overkill, My daughter got into that one year in high school soccer, they had mandatory 2 weeks off, she could of played the next game like 4 days later. SHE WAS FINE.

Concussion protocols are BS overkill, My daughter got into that one year in high school soccer, they had mandatory 2 weeks off, she could of played the next game like 4 days later. SHE WAS FINE.
For every example like your daughter, you could find an example of someone who doesn't bounce back as quickly. It's one of the most unique, individualized injuries that you can have.

For every example like your daughter, you could find an example of someone who doesn't bounce back as quickly. It's one of the most unique, individualized injuries that you can have.

I'm actually saying, it should be customized for each individual, some should stay out longer, others should come back when they feel good enough. My daughter bumped heads with another player trying to head a ball, she had a little bump on her forhead, she actually played the final 20 minutes of the game after it happened.

Next day they said, she can't play or practice again until she sees a doctor. So we went to the doctor, doctor fills out a form saying she has a concussion without even examining her, of course "Play it safe, PC USA" weak ass BS. He said he just checks yes every time, to be safe. So she was out a mandatory two weeks for something that was not that bad at all. I'm just glad I lived in the '60s and '70s and experienced unPC life where risks where taken.

I'm actually saying, it should be customized for each individual, some should stay out longer, others should come back when they feel good enough. My daughter bumped heads with another player trying to head a ball, she had a little bump on her forhead, she actually played the final 20 minutes of the game after it happened.

Next day they said, she can't play or practice again until she sees a doctor. So we went to the doctor, doctor fills out a form saying she has a concussion without even examining her, of course "Play it safe, PC USA" weak ass BS. He said he just checks yes every time, to be safe. So she was out a mandatory two weeks for something that was not that bad at all. I'm just glad I lived in the '60s and '70s and experienced unPC life where risks where taken.
Oh, I agree; a mandatory sit period of two weeks seems unusual. Best practices for concussion treatment, at least to my knowledge, is basically to give every athlete a "healthy" cognitive test before the season starts, then when they suffer a suspected head injury, they're given the same test and, if the score is significantly lower than the player's baseline, they're kept out until the score gets back to the baseline. A mandatory two-week sit out seems like it does the opposite of the individualized treatment that most people seem to understand is the best method. That's basically how Pitt's concussion center on the south side functions, and they're among the best in the business.

I'm glad that the doctor has more regard for your daughter's health and well being than you do. It's a high school soccer season. Who cares if she misses a couple of games. It's not like whether she's getting a scholarship is dependent on those few games that she sat out for precautions.

Oh, I agree; a mandatory sit period of two weeks seems unusual. Best practices for concussion treatment, at least to my knowledge, is basically to give every athlete a "healthy" cognitive test before the season starts, then when they suffer a suspected head injury, they're given the same test and, if the score is significantly lower than the player's baseline, they're kept out until the score gets back to the baseline. A mandatory two-week sit out seems like it does the opposite of the individualized treatment that most people seem to understand is the best method. That's basically how Pitt's concussion center on the south side functions, and they're among the best in the business.
This was Maryland high school sports, so obviously they did overkill. that was her sophomore year, before her senior year they had every player do a concussion baseline test before the season, which is I guess what you are talking about. It never mattered for her, she was never had a head injury again after that first one.

The problem is not the protocol, it was your doctor. You need another doctor. Protocols are individualized to each patient. Sounds like your child did not have a concussion at all.

Reactions: gilligan 3
I'm glad that the doctor has more regard for your daughter's health and well being than you do. It's a high school soccer season. Who cares if she misses a couple of games. It's not like whether she's getting a scholarship is dependent on those few games that she sat out for precautions.
There's a difference between "regard for health" and overkill. Every minor bump doesn't need overkill treatment just to be safe.

The problem is not the protocol, it was your doctor. You need another doctor. Protocols are individualized to each patient. Sounds like your child did not have a concussion at all.
Could be, this doctor I think wanted to play it super safe, just assume a concussion in every case. But I wouldn't be surprised if in todays PC climate, that many doctors do the same.

I know a 13 year old girl who was hit hard in the head with a soccer ball during a game.

She got her bell rung and said she felt a little dizzy for a second but that was about it. She stayed in the game and continue to go to games and practices. About 10 days later, she started to experience headaches and her parents took her to a doctor until they finally recognised what was going on with her. Her symptoms lasted for about three months longer.

I believe your take is not only terribly insensitive, but it also flies directly in the face of the developing science on the matter.

These problems related to head injuries are real and can have serious consequences on people’s lives. There are many who believe that protocol may not even be cautious enough.

This is not a case of being politically correct by any means.

I know a 13 year old girl who was hit hard in the head with a soccer ball during a game.

She got her bell rung and said she felt a little dizzy for a second but that was about it. She stayed in the game and continue to go to games and practices. About 10 days later, she started to experience headaches and her parents took her to a doctor until they finally recognised what was going on with her. Her symptoms lasted for about three months longer.

I believe your take is not only terribly insensitive, but it also flies directly in the face of the developing science on the matter.

These problems related to head injuries are real and can have serious consequences on people’s lives. There are many who believe that protocol may not even be cautious enough.

This is not a case of being politically correct by any means.
Tell that girl to toughen up!!! I told my daughter that. She only sees out of one eye now, but she didn’t miss a game.

Reactions: Saboteur
Might be the PC climate. But also could be the litigation era we live in now too. "We'll get you the money you deserve." Everywhere you go you better cya.

Reactions: Pitt MD
Tell that girl to toughen up!!! I told my daughter that. She only sees out of one eye now, but she didn’t miss a game.
You did the right thing. After all, you don't need vision in both eyes to work in nursing, waitressing, or to be a homemaker, right?

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Could be, this doctor I think wanted to play it super safe, just assume a concussion in every case. But I wouldn't be surprised if in todays PC climate, that many doctors do the same.

While it may seem like a PC thing to do, it is likely more related to the doc's and/or the school's insurance. Why take a risk from the doc's perspective? Unfortunately we are in a climate where parents and athletes love to sue doctors and schools...so the safest financial calculus is to be extra cautious. Hail to Pitt!

While it may seem like a PC thing to do, it is likely more related to the doc's and/or the school's insurance. Why take a risk from the doc's perspective? Unfortunately we are in a climate where parents and athletes love to sue doctors and schools...so the safest financial calculus is to be extra cautious. Hail to Pitt!

REPLY:

Where have you been my friend?

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
I hope Pitt79 lives in Pittsburgh. His chief hobby appears to be yelling at clouds, and there aren't many places that provide the diversity and frequency of cloud-shouting opportunities as our fair city. (Or his post is satire, it's frankly hard to tell).

If my child is held out of high school sports for two (!) weeks to be safe, I'll live. High school athletes are playing a game; they aren't storming Normandy. It's not worth serious future brain damage to get back a week early.

Agreed.

If my child is held out of high school sports for two (!) weeks to be safe, I'll live. High school athletes are playing a game; they aren't storming Normandy. It's not worth serious future brain damage to get back a week early.

To be "safe", everyone's opinion of "safe" veries, SHE WAS FINE< and she wanted to play. THERE WAS NO DANGER.

I hope Pitt79 lives in Pittsburgh. His chief hobby appears to be yelling at clouds, and there aren't many places that provide the diversity and frequency of cloud-shouting opportunities as our fair city. (Or his post is satire, it's frankly hard to tell).

Sadly, it's not a parody. Ironically, I think it's brain damage.

And not surprisingly, he lives in Baltimore.

Sadly, it's not a parody. Ironically, I think it's brain damage.

And not surprisingly, he lives in Baltimore.
I know it's brain damage, Are you getting treatment?

I'm planning to retire soon, I'm planning to return to Pittsburgh. Because I like the weather.

As a coach and a parent, my only reaction to this is wow. I guess it takes all kinds in the world, glad your misguided opinions didn't result in permanently damaging your daughter's brain.

Reactions: gilligan 3
As a coach and a parent, my only reaction to this is wow. I guess it takes all kinds in the world, glad your misguided opinions didn't result in permanently damaging your daughter's brain.
You people are weak sheep. You all just buy whatever BS is fed to you.

REPLY:

Where have you been my friend?

I have been pretty busy with work most of the basketball season, and have only made a few games in person [most recent was the win over Miami], although I have watched most of them on television. I honestly have not been posting much on either Board, as I have grown a bit weary of the same discussions and banter, rinse and repeat. I am very much heartened by the current men's basketball coaching staff and the progress the team continues to make. If he can just attract a big man or two, this team/program can be once again a fixture in the NCAA tournament. I'm heading to my place in Mexico for a while starting on Friday, but will be back in time to attend the ACC Tournament [ugh, Greensboro] and hopefully a place in the Dance. Hope all is well. Hail to Pitt!

There's a difference between "regard for health" and overkill. Every minor bump doesn't need overkill trea nt just to be safe.
You understand that if you pass the milestone you get cleared , right ?
I’d you don’t you have to wait until you can pass them .

Severity , recurrence , etc affects the timelines which are very individual .

let the actual doctors worry about it -
And I’m glad they aren’t as cavalier with kids brains as you are with your daughter .

You understand that if you pass the milestone you get cleared , right ?
I’d you don’t you have to wait until you can pass them .

Severity , recurrence , etc affects the timelines which are very individual .

let the actual doctors worry about it -
And I’m glad they aren’t as cavalier with kids brains as you are with your daughter .
Typical BS, then trying to shame me into agreeing when I don't. If my daughter said she was ok, and wanted to play, I'd send her out there.

I have been pretty busy with work most of the basketball season, and have only made a few games in person [most recent was the win over Miami], although I have watched most of them on television. I honestly have not been posting much on either Board, as I have grown a bit weary of the same discussions and banter, rinse and repeat. I am very much heartened by the current men's basketball coaching staff and the progress the team continues to make. If he can just attract a big man or two, this team/program can be once again a fixture in the NCAA tournament. I'm heading to my place in Mexico for a while starting on Friday, but will be back in time to attend the ACC Tournament [ugh, Greensboro] and hopefully a place in the Dance. Hope all is well. Hail to Pitt!
Aha!! The Mexican Riviera. Very nice!!

I mentioned this a few days ago, but Pitt has a women's basketball player, Alayna Gribble, who got one concussion, a bad one, and eventually was advised by the doctors to stop playing basketball.

And fwiw, I didn't see the game that it happened (it was at Georgetown), but she told the coaches that she felt fine and they actually put her back into the game for a short time after it happened. Which just goes to show, the players are the last people that you should be asking if they want to play after something like this.

Also very much heartened.

Good to see you back.

I don't see him listed as a GTD, so that coupled with my comment about his twitter saying "mood" with a picture of him throwing his arms up, I have to believe he's playing.

Reminds me of a safety sign at the old Koppers plant in Follansbee, WV. "YOU CAN WALK WITH A WOODEN LEG AND YOU CAN CHEW WITH FALSE TEETH, BUT YOU CANT SEE WITH A GLASS EYE. WEAR YOUR SAFETY GOGGLES!"

I mentioned this a few days ago, but Pitt has a women's basketball player, Alayna Gribble, who got one concussion, a bad one, and eventually was advised by the doctors to stop playing basketball.

And fwiw, I didn't see the game that it happened (it was at Georgetown), but she told the coaches that she felt fine and they actually put her back into the game for a short time after it happened. Which just goes to show, the players are the last people that you should be asking if they want to play after something like this.

I know the family through basketball stuff. She's back to working out and doing skills stuff still no actual playing. Her head issues are unfortunate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT