ADVERTISEMENT

Is PSU the worst Rose Bowl team of all time?

I don’t want to comment on this thread because my opinion will get twisted but in the pre CFB era PSU is probably playing in the Citrus Bowl and Michigan is in the Rose Bowl. The number 1 big ten team is in the CFB playoff now a days, so how “great” is the annual big ten participant in the Rose Bowl? Probably not that great. With USC and UCLA going to big ten the traditional idea of the Rose Bowl is gone. I think the previously mentioned teams like Stanford and Wisconsin and ‘94 Oregon weren’t very great teams. The current PSU team most likely beats those type of teams, but they certainly aren’t great like pre CFB playoff Rose Bowl teams. With all that being said why do we, as Pitt fans, care? Penn st will always get good bowls due to the viewership and ticket sales to their gargantuan alumni base. I hope they piss down their leg tomorrow but psu is in the past. Let’s leave them there.

I don’t want to comment on this thread because my opinion will get twisted but in the pre CFB era PSU is probably playing in the Citrus Bowl and Michigan is in the Rose Bowl. The number 1 big ten team is in the CFB playoff now a days, so how “great” is the annual big ten participant in the Rose Bowl? Probably not that great. With USC and UCLA going to big ten the traditional idea of the Rose Bowl is gone. I think the previously mentioned teams like Stanford and Wisconsin and ‘94 Oregon weren’t very great teams. The current PSU team most likely beats those type of teams, but they certainly aren’t great like pre CFB playoff Rose Bowl teams. With all that being said why do we, as Pitt fans, care? Penn st will always get good bowls due to the viewership and ticket sales to their gargantuan alumni base. I hope they piss down their leg tomorrow but psu is in the past. Let’s leave them there.
The Citrus Bowl is exactly where PSU would have been playing pre-CFP era. I think your opinion is pretty much spot on.

Reactions: kma0043
At any rate, there's been a lot of great bowl games this year, in spite of the fact that most of them mean nothing. As they say in Gladiator, I've been entertained.

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
No wins over ranked teams
4 wins over teams with winning records (1 of those being Ohio U)

Those guys live a charmed life. Whether its getting just a wrist slap for institutional child rape or getting great bowl games for beating Rutgers and Indiana, not sure anyone has it better than a PSU player or fan. They can lie down twice a year and then get 10 wins for getting off the bus and find themselves in Pasadena. They are like the college football version of white privilege
Since Utah is a 1.5pt favorite in the Rose Bowl does that put them in the running for the silver medal as second worst?

Penn State has the most alumni living in California in the category of non PAC 12 schools. The Rise Bowl knows that getting Penn State guarantees ticket sales due to the ease of travel and travel costs.

To be fair, there was really no "choice." PSU was the best Big Ten team available to them by a million miles.

IMHO, you are letting your ingrained hatred of PSU effect your judgment.

Sagarin's computer (based on overall season performance) has them ranked as the #7 Team nationally. I will concede that they didn't perform well vs ranked teams (0-2 vs top ten/1-2 vs top 30). Losses to Ohio State (#3) and Michigan (#5), win vs #25 Minnesota.

For comparison Pitt is Sagarin #32 (#30 recent rating) and had a similar top 10/top 30 outcome as PSU (0-1 vs top ten/1-2 vs top 30). Losses to Tennesseee (#4) and Louisville (#24); win over UCLA (# 27)

OK, well, I was really basing it on resume. Their resume is utter trash.

ADVERTISEMENT