ADVERTISEMENT

Is this the toughest team we'll face this year?

Chairman Moe

All Conference
Nov 4, 2003
Just around the corner from Paradise
Not to get too far ahead of where Pitt VB is but based on the matches I have seen, certainly Louisville is the toughest team we faced. Not to take anything away from SMU, Penn State, and Stanford. But as we head toward the post-season, is there another team out there that Pitt would struggle with (if that's the right term) as much or more than they did last night?

The rematch @ Louisville at the end of the regular season has obvious implications on the NCAA Tournament seeding, notwithstanding that the NCAA FF will be held in Louisville

I realize (from watching the NCAAT the past several seasons) that even when a team gets to the FF, there is still a separation among those teams as to which one's the best

Reactions: jctrack
Nebraska is the only team I would say is definitely better than Louisville. I know PSU trounced them in Sad Valley earlier this year but if Louisville and Penn State were to play today on a neutral court give me Louisville 9 times out of 10. They are much better right now than they were early. Will be fun to watch them at SMU tomorrow

Penn State swept Louisville, so who knows? So did Nebraska, for that matter. I realize there is a long way between here and there, but anything short of a Pitt-Nebraska final will be a bit disappointing.
I agree that a Pitt vs Nebraska final would be a fitting end to this season. Of course, that will depend ultimately where each team is seeded. Just our "luck" that we'd meet Nebraska in the semi-'s

I agree that a Pitt vs Nebraska final would be a fitting end to this season. Of course, that will depend ultimately where each team is seeded. Just our "luck" that we'd meet Nebraska in the semi-'s

One or both of the two would have to lose several games for that to happen.

Which seems unlikely.

Nebraska is the only other team that I would see giving Pitt as tough a time. To be clear, I don't think you saw the best of Pitt against Louisville. But, good teams will do that to you.

Nebraska is the only other team that I would see giving Pitt as tough a time. To be clear, I don't think you saw the best of Pitt against Louisville. But, good teams will do that to you.
What struck me yesterday, about Pitt's play, was the bits of frustration with Louisville's blocking ability, as well as how they reacted to Louisville's dinks

I didn't see the SMU rematch game so I'm not sure what frustrated our Panthers in that game

Our girls are still a very young team - overall - regardless of their talent. I'm hoping we will see continued progression from VVG as a senior leader to help this talented group of women attain their goal as NC's

H2P!

Speaking of future opponents, has anyone seen UNC? 8-1 ACC and 16-2 overall. I suspect they had a weak NC schedule but not sure.

• Wow
Reactions: jctrack
Speaking of future opponents, has anyone seen UNC? 8-1 ACC and 16-2 overall. I suspect they had a weak NC schedule but not sure.

Their non-conference schedule was pretty easy (Michigan, who is in 6th place in the Big Ten, is pretty clearly the best team they played), and they have not yet played any of the top teams in the conference. Their conference loss is to NC State. They have a six game stretch coming up starting with us next month that includes all of us, SMU, Louisville and Stanford.

Reactions: RightSaidTed
Their non-conference schedule was pretty easy (Michigan, who is in 6th place in the Big Ten, is pretty clearly the best team they played), and they have not yet played any of the top teams in the conference. Their conference loss is to NC State. They have a six game stretch coming up starting with us next month that includes all of us, SMU, Louisville and Stanford.
Joe, that stretch for UNC good so "south", quickly! ;^)

What struck me yesterday, about Pitt's play, was the bits of frustration with Louisville's blocking ability, as well as how they reacted to Louisville's dinks

I didn't see the SMU rematch game so I'm not sure what frustrated our Panthers in that game

Our girls are still a very young team - overall - regardless of their talent. I'm hoping we will see continued progression from VVG as a senior leader to help this talented group of women attain their goal as NC's

H2P!
The way Pitt blocks and positions it's back row defense, the Panthers are susceptible against the dink.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT