ADVERTISEMENT

It is coaching malpractice that Pickett hasnt played every snap since Syracuse

UPitt '89

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 14, 2002
After two series' today, it was obvious he is light years better than DiNucci.

I don't know. Pickett really struggled at times at basic things like getting plays called and getting in and out of the huddle. People are blaming the last minute on the coaches which is legit but what about Pickett wasting 30 seconds after the Weah replay to get the next play snapped? I think maybe he just hasn't been able to grasp the position quick enough.

I think he struggles with certain things but after SU the chances of this team making a bowl were very slim. Basically they required beating VT or Miami and winning all the winnable games before hand. I would have gladly given up a win to get Picket another 3 games worth of snaps.
Dinucci just isn't a FBs starting QB. He can be a solid backup or a solid FCS starter but that is his ceiling unless he could completely remake his throwing motion, even then he is never more than Bill Stull (average QB) and thats the upside.
Picket has a legit FBS arm and legs. Doesn't mean he will be a great QB but he at least as the potential to be above average.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Yeah, another series here and there maybe saves the timeout before the first play of the 2nd half or maybe gives the staff and Pickett more comfort in that final minute today.

I don't know. Pickett really struggled at times at basic things like getting plays called and getting in and out of the huddle. People are blaming the last minute on the coaches which is legit but what about Pickett wasting 30 seconds after the Weah replay to get the next play snapped? I think maybe he just hasn't been able to grasp the position quick enough.

Maybe if he was named starter after the Syracuse game he would have gotten plenty of game experience and reps as the starter in practice and would be more comfortable at the basic things instead of being thrust into action against a quality opponent in a very tough environment for opposing teams.

Will Pickett start next week? There is a part of me that thinks they will send Ben out there to be devoured. After the Turnover Chain makes an appearance or two, the change will be made, and it will be permanent.

Will Pickett start next week? There is a part of me that thinks they will send Ben out there to be devoured. After the Turnover Chain makes an appearance or two, the change will be made, and it will be permanent.
I agree DiNucci probably will start but Pickett will end up with most of the snaps. I like the programs possibility of moving forward with what I consider a young D1 QB.l

You blame that on Pickett? They did not get him off the sideline until the call was overturned, Then they had him huddle. Coaches!!!!

My guess is Narduzzi was playing it safe because he thought, Nuce was his best bet to win the next game. He was wrong. Pickett is already at least a little better, ceiling/future aside.

Maybe if he was named starter after the Syracuse game he would have gotten plenty of game experience and reps as the starter in practice and would be more comfortable at the basic things instead of being thrust into action against a quality opponent in a very tough environment for opposing teams.

Thats my biggest problem with how they handled the QB's this year. They burn picket's redshirt for a play again(when game was over) then they play him against NC ST and VT but not against duke,VA and NC. He should have played against those 3 teams. Didn't need to start but he should have gotten a Quarter in every game. I think part of this is they want Dinucci to stay, we are razor thin if he would transfer.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I agree DiNucci probably will start but Pickett will end up with most of the snaps. I like the programs possibility of moving forward with what I consider a young D1 QB.l
I can't see it. Pickett is much better...and Ben doesn't have THAT much more experience.
Maybe give him a simple opening drive plan that uses play action, just to get him settled down a bit.

I was (and still am) a big Ben D fan. But it is clear that Pickett is a much better QB at this point. He looks downfield, has a stronger arm, can elude tacklers (nice to see on our side), and has some wheels.

I hope the hell he starts on Friday. He gives us the best chance. And yes, if Pitt plays well, they do have a chance to beat Miami. They seem a little bi-polar at times.

Am I remembering this wrong already? I thought they got the 1st down play off relatively quick (although baffling they even needed a huddle when they should've had two plays ready). I thought I remembered them then taking a really long time to call timeout after first down.

I'm so sickened by that fiasco all I can remember is screaming to run a play that might actually work, yet knowing Watson is such an incompetent moron there was no chance they would.

1st down... yes, you run the ball. But you gotta go with your bread and butter of the rushing game, between left tackle and left guard. This o-line is pathetic to watch, but you know this already. If you're gonna run you have to at least run behind your best linemen. Also would've been smart to not come out in a goal line formation and seriously just put anyone in at fullback.

Second down.... this play should've been in when the first down play was. As soon as you are stopped on first down, run to the line and snap it. Play action, Pickett on a bootleg, if there's no running room the tight end is dragging across the front of the end zone. This play can be run out of the goal line formation because now you want the defense lined up to stop the run. If you can't run it in on first down, quickly getting to the line and running this play should've worked easily.

If not for some reason... an incomplete pass stops the clock. You still have your timeout. It's third down now. You put whitehead in the backfield, eyes are on him. O'Neill is tackle eligible tight end. You run an end around to O'Neill who takes it and runs right between guard and center or tackle and guard. You're not running the ball well, at least give it to a big guy that is very hard to bring down and so big he'll probably fall forward into the end zone.

If all else fails (and I guarantee literally almost anything that wasn't running straight into the heart of the defense would've)... its 4th down. You take the timeout before this down and settle the kids down. Even if they didn't score on those three plays, there was no frantic running around. Also, you kept the timeout in case on third down the defense lays down on the ball carrier like they did in the game on second down and not get penalized somehow. On 4th down now, you leave whitehead in, O'Neill still tackle eligible tight end, both have eyes on them now. You can line up in goal line, 2 tight ends if not 3 including O'Neill. Play action to jordan, run the bottleg again with a tight end that is not O'Neill dragging across the front of the end zone again.

This whole series I'm thinking what can they do to catch them just a hair off guard? They can't seriously plan on running right at them every play? I'm thinking how many different options even this poor offense has. Yet all the guy getting paid to call plays can think is... run, on my god the clock is running timeout!, run, holy shit Kenny threw it we better run again before something terrible happens! It was honestly the most pathetic and embarrassing series in football history, no way someone taking the game seriously actually called those sickening plays.

Reactions: Pav9870
I can't see it. Pickett is much better...and Ben doesn't have THAT much more experience.
Maybe give him a simple opening drive plan that uses play action, just to get him settled down a bit.
Even if Ben had a ton more experience, Pickett should still have playerd. It's not the same, but it reminds me of Ashton Gibbs senior year. Ashton should not have been playing 30+ minutes per game. That team was headed nowhere. Play the young guys and prepare for the following season. It's like coaches are under so much pressure to win every single game today...and don't see the big picture. Ben is not an all league performer like Ashton was, but the point remains the same.

My guess is Narduzzi was playing it safe because he thought, Nuce was his best bet to win the next game. He was wrong. Pickett is already at least a little better, ceiling/future aside.

Sounds like HCPN has made a few to many bad decisions this season.

HC's are paid to make good decisions that help their team.

Somehow HCPN needs to develope a process that will help him make better choices ! Like a good plan A, and a plan B in case plan A fails. The staff seems to be unprepared when bad things happen?

HOW IS THE LAST MINUTE ON THE COACHES AT ALL???!!!??!?!?!?!?!

What the f? I mean, how can anyone say this?

First off, it is the refs. Every defense will try to lay and not get up. Vtech did that, our guys on the bottom couldnt get up. The refs needed to stop the clock. That is the #1 at fault, beyond any,

Secondly, if you have to go beyond that are the Pitt guys not fighting their arses off to get up. I did see Pitt guys trying to get up but were stuck. The ref had to blow and stop the whistle. I just saw this happen in another college game at night, the refs stopped the clock.

Third, Pickett, who is inexperienced, should have been vocal about hustling.

Coaches.... there is nothing they could have done, at all.

Even if Ben had a ton more experience, Pickett should still have playerd. It's not the same, but it reminds me of Ashton Gibbs senior year. Ashton should not have been playing 30+ minutes per game. That team was headed nowhere. Play the young guys and prepare for the following season. It's like coaches are under so much pressure to win every single game today...and don't see the big picture. Ben is not an all league performer like Ashton was, but the point remains the same.

I was perhaps the most vocal proponent of putting Pickett in this whole year, to a point I was actually pretty rude against Ben. But that being said, I still understand why they used DiNucci. He knew the system better, and was "managing" the game... a term I freaking hate, but, it is what it is. Basically means he isnt screwing up and turning the ball over all the time. He threw that wacky INT this past game and I think Narduzzi just said, well... there goes the game management aspect

HOW IS THE LAST MINUTE ON THE COACHES AT ALL???!!!??!?!?!?!?!

What the f? I mean, how can anyone say this?

First off, it is the refs. Every defense will try to lay and not get up. Vtech did that, our guys on the bottom couldnt get up. The refs needed to stop the clock. That is the #1 at fault, beyond any,

Secondly, if you have to go beyond that are the Pitt guys not fighting their arses off to get up. I did see Pitt guys trying to get up but were stuck. The ref had to blow and stop the whistle. I just saw this happen in another college game at night, the refs stopped the clock.

Third, Pickett, who is inexperienced, should have been vocal about hustling.

Coaches.... there is nothing they could have done, at all.
This probably belongs in another thread but the play calling was bad. They had plenty of time with a timeout to run 4 plays where they weren't rushed. The 3rd down play was really rushed because of the way the first two plays were run. Really they should have had 2 passes mixed in so they could be assured they would have plenty of time. I can't believe with a mobile QB and struggling to run all day that they wouldn't have called a roll out of some type. But they couldn't on 3rd down because they didn't have time. It was a cluster **** and thats on watson.

This probably belongs in another thread but the play calling was bad. They had plenty of time with a timeout to run 4 plays where they weren't rushed. The 3rd down play was really rushed because of the way the first two plays were run. Really they should have had 2 passes mixed in so they could be assured they would have plenty of time. I can't believe with a mobile QB and struggling to run all day that they wouldn't have called a roll out of some type. But they couldn't on 3rd down because they didn't have time. It was a cluster **** and thats on watson.

No, the third down play was super rushed because the referees didnt stop the clock after the second down play.

Now, I can see one saying the coaches could have ran better plays... but the time implications of that drive were on the refs. They botched it.

Maybe, but perhaps if he'd logged a little playing time earlier in the season...he'd be a far more accomplished and polished product. It is widely apparent he has tons more natural ability to play QB than anyone else we have seen under center this season. Hail to Pitt!

I was (and still am) a big Ben D fan. But it is clear that Pickett is a much better QB at this point. He looks downfield, has a stronger arm, can elude tacklers (nice to see on our side), and has some wheels.

I hope the hell he starts on Friday. He gives us the best chance. And yes, if Pitt plays well, they do have a chance to beat Miami. They seem a little bi-polar at times.

Bi-Polar = young and gaining experience

No, the third down play was super rushed because the referees didnt stop the clock after the second down play.

Now, I can see one saying the coaches could have ran better plays... but the time implications of that drive were on the refs. They botched it.

Exactly right! The VT players kept falling on top of the PITT players, and the refs allowed them to continue to do so without stopping the clock. They were well coached in the art of running out the clock and forcing the refs to step in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT