ADVERTISEMENT

It's amazing how many terrible games there are every week

Oct 25, 2021
Mostly referring to these first few weeks before conference play begins, but it'll be the case in weeks after that, too. 65+ games and maybe a small handful are both competitive and of any significance whatsoever (and I'm not even talking playoff significance).

Hate to say it, but I really do think these new business-minded conference commissioners have the right idea. There is so much filler. I made the analogy before to the WWF (the one without the panda). Go back and watch a weekly taping from the early 90's, if you can make it through 90% squash matches and one mediocre to half-decent main event. But they eventually figured out that every match can be at least somewhat entertaining and got rid of the mega jobbers. I mean, they still had guys who mostly lost, but they were at least somewhat respected... just as West Virginia (random example), while a bum program, playing Michigan would be a little more palatable than Hawaii playing Michigan.

Not saying we need an elitist super league, but a good start would be no more games against FCS teams and only one (or even two) game(s) allowed against the G5.

Mostly referring to these first few weeks before conference play begins, but it'll be the case in weeks after that, too. 65+ games and maybe a small handful are both competitive and of any significance whatsoever (and I'm not even talking playoff significance).

Hate to say it, but I really do think these new business-minded conference commissioners have the right idea. There is so much filler. I made the analogy before to the WWF (the one without the panda). Go back and watch a weekly taping from the early 90's, if you can make it through 90% squash matches and one mediocre to half-decent main event. But they eventually figured out that every match can be at least somewhat entertaining and got rid of the mega jobbers. I mean, they still had guys who mostly lost, but they were at least somewhat respected... just as West Virginia (random example), while a bum program, playing Michigan would be a little more palatable than Hawaii playing Michigan.

Not saying we need an elitist super league, but a good start would be no more games against FCS teams and only one (or even two) game(s) allowed against the G5.

Nothing good comes from playing a good OOC schedule. Only 5 Power 5 teams have played 2 games verses other P5 teams. The combined record of those teams is 3-7.

Nothing good comes from playing a good OOC schedule. Only 5 Power 5 teams have played 2 games verses other P5 teams. The combined record of those teams is 3-7.

I agree the system isn't set up to incentivize a difficult schedule. It's a flaw that a 2018 Syracuse team can be the 50th best team in the nation but somehow finish 15th because everyone is lazy.

What is killing "good games" viewing if effing Fox. I am not talking politics here, but they are no cherry picking games that would otherwise be primetime Sat night games and putting them on Noon on a Saturday. This is causing horrible Sat night games like USC/Stanford to be the primetime networks.

Reactions: kma0043
I don't really have a problem with it. It gives kids at smaller schools a chance to get some game film against higher competition -- and, if they can hang with the big boys, sometimes that is their ticket to the NFL. Plus the big schools get a win, the small schools get a big check to fund their teams.

Reactions: iMissTheOldDayss
I have to give BYU credit for its schedule. I mean... sort of. They're basically a P5 team anyway, so it's arguably who they should be playing.

But they play Baylor, Oregon, Notre Dame, Arkansas, and Stanford this year. Even some of their lesser games (Boise State, Utah State, East Carolina, Liberty) aren't against complete pushover programs, although some of them may suck this season.

Again... not at all the same as a P5 school scheduling an OOC gauntlet. But still a good schedule.

Reactions: iMissTheOldDayss
Having a tough schedule doesn’t matter now more than 1976

take a look at UGA last year… lots of nothing on that schedule. Other than a few teams. A bunch of junk

What is killing "good games" viewing if effing Fox. I am not talking politics here, but they are no cherry picking games that would otherwise be primetime Sat night games and putting them on Noon on a Saturday. This is causing horrible Sat night games like USC/Stanford to be the primetime networks.
ESPN/ABC could still do a better job of picking games. Everyone knew USC-Stanford was going to be a blowout. Washington-Michigan State this week? Meh. I mean there is some entertainment value between B1G vs. Pac-10. Miami-A&M would be good, to put Van Dyke under the national spotlight.

Without paying attention to any network deals/which networks broadcasted which games last week, Pitt-Tennessee would've been a good pick. Although a mismatch on paper, Texas A&M-App State was interesting because you have an underdog who has a chance of pulling an upset. BYU-Baylor was good game entering the season and was another option. You can't go wrong with Florida-Kentucky

I've compared Nov/Dec college basketball to the old WWF days of the whole show being a main dude fighting the Brooklyn Brawler or some random dude with a regular name like Mike Woods or something. Nobody wants to see P6 college teams play NEC and MEAC teams. Attendance at these games is god awful and not just at Pitt. Everywhere. I have said for years that P6 schools should only play each other. The result would be that 17-16 gets you into the NCAAT over 24-6 VCU who had no P6 wins.

ESPN/ABC could still do a better job of picking games. Everyone knew USC-Stanford was going to be a blowout. Washington-Michigan State this week? Meh. I mean there is some entertainment value between B1G vs. Pac-10. Miami-A&M would be good, to put Van Dyke under the national spotlight.

Without paying attention to any network deals/which networks broadcasted which games last week, Pitt-Tennessee would've been a good pick. Although a mismatch on paper, Texas A&M-App State was interesting because you have an underdog who has a chance of pulling an upset. BYU-Baylor was good game entering the season and was another option. You can't go wrong with Florida-Kentucky
I think Pitt/Tennessee could have been a prime time game last week but......the Pirates game would prevent that.

The 12 team playoff should help with this. Teams are petrified of scheduling more than one heavy OOC game because they know that two losses functionally puts you out of the playoff in the current landscape, even if you win your conference.

Now, with conference champions essentially having a guaranteed playoff spot, there’s less of a disincentive - in a 12 team playoff, Pitt could schedule four P5 teams in the OOC, lose all four, and still make the playoff by winning the conference.

Reactions: PITT 76
Having a tough schedule doesn’t matter now more than 1976

take a look at UGA last year… lots of nothing on that schedule. Other than a few teams. A bunch of junk
they played 5 ranked teams in the regular season, 3 of which where in the top 10 when they played and beat them, the 4th was #11 at the time. Then they went on and beat the #2 ranked team (Mich) and the #1 ranked team (Bama) in the playoffs.

So basically, they beat 7 teams who were ranked, 4 of those wins were against teams who were ranked in the top 3 at the time. That's junk? If that's junk, what would you call our schedule?

this could be the most ridiculous post of the month.

I mean, it's always been that way.
For some. The independents used to have some amazing schedules even before the 12th game was added.
Look at Pitt's 1980 schedule:
Boston College
Kansas
Temple
Maryland
Florida State
West Virginia
Tennessee
Syracuse
Louisville
Army
Penn State

That's a lot of regional and historic interest. Doubt we'll ever get anything like that again.

Penn State's schedule that same year:
Colgate
Texas A&M
Nebraska
Missouri
Maryland
Syracuse
WVU
Miami Fl
NC State
Temple
Pitt

Nebraska's non conference schedule that year was Utah, Iowa, Penn State, Florida State (then all seven Big 8 schools.)

Oklahoma's four non conference games were Kentucky, Stanford, Texas, and North Carolina.

Georgia won the national title. They had only six SEC games, giving them five non conference games. They played Texas A&M, Clemson, TCU, South Carolina (independent), and Georgia Tech.

How about that Michigan OOC schedule. Wow ! Talk about challenging your team.

pathetic
It's their first time in 78 years they won't have what is now considered a Power 5 opponent. Indiana and Maryland also have no P5 non conference games though Indiana has a good Cincinnati game.

Maryland has Buffalo, Charlotte, and SMU. Their senior day game is Rutgers. I am glad I don't have season tickets to their games!

Sticking with Pitt for a minute...

These next two weeks are the part of college football that sucks, in my opinion. So we just played two entertaining games against equalish competition. The minute the Tennessee game ended, it will be be three weeks before we play another team on our level (P5). And that's not even a good P5 team. Georgia Tech isn't my definition of entertaining. And neither will Virginia Tech be, probably. And then there's a bye week after that. That's quite a lull.

I mean, the lesser P5 competition just is what it is. Same with how some weeks you play the Lions and the Jets in the NFL: Not every week can be a great game. But I don't know, man; it's tough to get excited for at least these next two games - against teams in lesser classifications - after starting off with the first two we did.

And I get that Pitt fans should be the last ones snubbing their noses at G5/FCS competition. Trust me, I do. And I'm hoping this post doesn't end up on MBG after a loss this week.

I also get that the system isn't set up for teams to want to schedule with any difficulty. I just think that sucks. This is all about entertainment in the end. If I didn't think we desperately needed to get some offensive cohesion and confidence going, I'd almost be rooting for Kyler to play this week just to add some level of intrigue to the game.

Sticking with Pitt for a minute...

These next two weeks are the part of college football that sucks, in my opinion. So we just played two entertaining games against equalish competition. The minute the Tennessee game ended, it will be be three weeks before we play another team on our level (P5). And that's not even a good P5 team. Georgia Tech isn't my definition of entertaining. And neither will Virginia Tech be, probably. And then there's a bye week after that. That's quite a lull.

I mean, the lesser P5 competition just is what it is. Same with how some weeks you play the Lions and the Jets in the NFL: Not every week can be a great game. But I don't know, man; it's tough to get excited for at least these next two games - against teams in lesser classifications - after starting off with the first two we did.

And I get that Pitt fans should be the last ones snubbing their noses at G5/FCS competition. Trust me, I do. And I'm hoping this post doesn't end up on MBG after a loss this week.

I also get that the system isn't set up for teams to want to schedule with any difficulty. I just think that sucks. This is all about entertainment in the end. If I didn't think we desperately needed to get some offensive cohesion and confidence going, I'd almost be rooting for Kyler to play this week just to add some level of intrigue to the game.
normally i agree with you but with our injuries, i welcome the break before the acc games. but yeah, rhode island is an exhibition.

I think the western mich game should be somewhat entertaining, at least they are a D1 program. get some confidence going with our OL, get izzy some stat-building yardage and hopefully gets some reps for Yarnell

For some. The independents used to have some amazing schedules even before the 12th game was added.
Look at Pitt's 1980 schedule:
Boston College
Kansas
Temple
Maryland
Florida State
West Virginia
Tennessee
Syracuse
Louisville
Army
Penn State
That schedule was pretty unremarkable. Six of those schools had a losing record. Florida State and Penn State were the only ranked teams. MD was okay and BC and WVU were very average. Penn State's was better but you're using 2022 perspective to look at those schedules. Several of those OOC teams for those schools were just terrible. Clemson and A&M were garbage. TCU was a bottom feeder. Utah was still in the WAC. Tennessee wasn't very good and Kentucky was pretty irrelevant.

I think that teams may begin to schedule more difficult OOC opponents when a conference championship becomes more valuable than the total number of wins.

For example, any P5 team scheduling Alabama and Ohio State out of conference is foolish under prevailing standards for playoff participation. They're much better off scheduling Kent State and Duquesne.

When and if a conference championship becomes a direct path to the playoffs, teams may elect to schedule better competition because it should make their team better without costing them a shot at the playoffs. This would also increase the interest level nationally in college football.

I think that teams may begin to schedule more difficult OOC opponents when a conference championship becomes more valuable than the total number of wins.

For example, any P5 team scheduling Alabama and Ohio State out of conference is foolish under prevailing standards for playoff participation. They're much better off scheduling Kent State and Duquesne.

When and if a conference championship becomes a direct path to the playoffs, teams may elect to schedule better competition because it should make their team better without costing them a shot at the playoffs. This would also increase the interest level nationally in college football.
That is a possibility. Also could be that strength of schedule might weigh heavier for rankings and determine what bubble teams make it.

That schedule was pretty unremarkable. Six of those schools had a losing record. Florida State and Penn State were the only ranked teams. MD was okay and BC and WVU were very average. Penn State's was better but you're using 2022 perspective to look at those schedules. Several of those OOC teams for those schools were just terrible. Clemson and A&M were garbage. TCU was a bottom feeder. Utah was still in the WAC. Tennessee wasn't very good and Kentucky was pretty irrelevant.
The SoS may not have been much different but you had more diversity in scheduling because you had less (if any) conference games; you had more regional rivalries that were almost automatically played every year; and there were less games in general against what became I-AA during the 1978 resorting. You can pick through each one if you want but overall I think there were more compelling schedules generally at the aggregate before the current conference system.

The SoS may not have been much different but you had more diversity in scheduling because you had less (if any) conference games; you had more regional rivalries that were almost automatically played every year; and there were less games in general against what became I-AA during the 1978 resorting. You can pick through each one if you want but overall I think there were more compelling schedules generally at the aggregate before the current conference system.
I'll buy that it was more diverse so that did make it somewhat interesting. Just can remember VaTech coming into play Pitt and the only thing even remotely interesting about them was that they were named after a castrated rooster, which I still find to be a really odd choice. Otherwise, they were pretty bad.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
I think Pitt/Tennessee could have been a prime time game last week but......the Pirates game would prevent that.
I don't understand how or why. Pitt's game was over 4 hours and ran into the start of the Pirates game. It's not like the parking lots cleared out between the games. Zero reason both stadiums can't be used at the same time.

I don't understand how or why. Pitt's game was over 4 hours and ran into the start of the Pirates game. It's not like the parking lots cleared out between the games. Zero reason both stadiums can't be used at the same time.
Hey, for as much as the Pirates screw with Pitt’s schedule, the Steelers deal with it, too. No first week home opener in like eight years?

Well, our game this weekend can be added to that category. I’m firmly in the camp that no Pn teams should be playing those kinds of games, but when everyone else does, I guess we need to have some of those as well. And yeah I know it might be a godsend to be playing such turkeys the next two weeks given the injuries at key positions, but on the flip side, it makes a loss to this kind gibrone team a very realistic possibility, and if happens, nobody will give the slightest F that we had those injuries.

they played 5 ranked teams in the regular season, 3 of which where in the top 10 when they played and beat them, the 4th was #11 at the time. Then they went on and beat the #2 ranked team (Mich) and the #1 ranked team (Bama) in the playoffs.

So basically, they beat 7 teams who were ranked, 4 of those wins were against teams who were ranked in the top 3 at the time. That's junk? If that's junk, what would you call our schedule?

this could be the most ridiculous post of the month.
Yeah you also ignored 6 teams that literally were soup can level competition … I’m not saying UGA played an easy schedule at all. I’m saying there’s no such thing as the perfect schedule.

6 teams that stood no chance and got trounced entirely

Charleston So
Georgia Tech
South Carolina
UAB
Missouri
Vanderbilt

In Pitt’s case, with Nutting being a WVU supporter, he ain’t going to do Pitt any favors, especially if he doesn’t get a financial kickback for it.

It’s somewhat surprising the Steelers would tolerate any slight inconvenience to their wishes, if they even do. If it really is true that they agree to start the regular seasons on the road to acquiesce to the Pirates, I figure (for whatever reason) the Steelers themselves must prefer more home games in the late season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT