ADVERTISEMENT

It's official. Big 10 done for 2020.

Where the bubble is DOES matter because local employees who AREN'T in the bubble can infect the players. However, the NBA and MLS are proving that if you can play in a COVID-infested area as long as you take extreme precautions.

A bubble is taking extreme precautions

I can do without the Big Mac conference this fall...and the little MAC as well. Hope there is college football this fall if it can be done safely.

And if the SEC and ACC end up playing all you will hear in the media is that the big ten and pac twelve did the right thing and these southern red states aren't respecting how dangerous COVID is. also that this season is illegitimate and shouldn't count in the record books

And if the SEC and ACC end up playing all you will hear in the media is that the big ten and pac twelve did the right thing and these southern red states aren't respecting how dangerous COVID is. also that this season is illegitimate and shouldn't count in the record books

Agree - and God help us if one of the players get's sick and dies or infects other members of his team or family. It will set back that school/ conference for two years minimum. The legal battles will be epic.

Reactions: pierre93
It could happen right now during workouts. It could happen at their dorm or apartment. It could happen anywhere. How do you prove it happened playing football?

You can opt out. Nobody is forcing you to play. I think this legal / liability concern is being blown way out of proportion.

It could happen right now during workouts. It could happen at their dorm or apartment. It could happen anywhere. How do you prove it happened playing football?

You can opt out. Nobody is forcing you to play. I think this legal / liability concern is being blown way out of proportion.
If a player gets an enlarged heart are you willing to pay the settlement? Do you think the line of scrimmage is an example of social distancing??

EXACTLY...that's why you don't accept that liability! And you say it's being blown out of proportion but you're not on the hook to be sued.

EXACTLY...that's why you don't accept that liability! And you say it's being blown out of proportion but you're not on the hook to be sued.

I don't think it's being blown out of proportion but what exactly is the risk? And I'm not talking about the risk of getting sick. What's the risk of transmission if the kids are kept in some kind of bubble and everyone takes precautions? We're seeing hockey, soccer, and basketball working.

If a player gets an enlarged heart are you willing to pay the settlement? Do you think the line of scrimmage is an example of social distancing??

What if a student gets an enlarged heart after contracting covid, is the university on the hook for a large settlement? Social distancing and masks don't guarantee you won't get it.

Players will be tested regularly. I'd rather be around those folks than the general student population.

How do you prove that lineman across from me gave me covid?

I don't think it's being blown out of proportion but what exactly is the risk? And I'm not talking about the risk of getting sick. What's the risk of transmission if the kids are kept in some kind of bubble and everyone takes precautions? We're seeing hockey, soccer, and basketball working.
And baseball is an example of how it not working. Just in the ACC you probably have to put close to 2,500 people in this bubble. all the while trying to keep up the image that the kids are students. If it not just about money how do you keep the players in the bubble while still continuing their education?

Reactions: pierre93 and 303vND
What if a student gets an enlarged heart after contracting covid, is the university on the hook for a large settlement? Social distancing and masks don't guarantee you won't get it.

Players will be tested regularly. I'd rather be around those folks than the general student population.

How do you prove that lineman across from me gave me covid?
The problem is that god forbid it happens every ambulance chasing lawyer will be after the conference. They will point directly at the Big Ten and Pac 12 as look at how they protected their athletes. Then say the greed of the conference put them all at risk. They won't have to look far for sympathetic jurors.

Reactions: 303vND and pierre93
The problem is that god forbid it happens every ambulance chasing lawyer will be after the conference. They will point directly at the Big Ten and Pac 12 as look at how they protected their athletes. Then say the greed of the conference put them all at risk. They won't have to look far for sympathetic jurors.
How can you prove football was the reason? They could have gotten COVID anywhere.

Reactions: PittMan 72
Those teams have smaller rosters that they can monitor. Try monitoring a football team made up of 85+ players as well NFL 53 man rosters in a sport where there is the most major contact.
And baseball is an example of how it not working. Just in the ACC you probably have to put close to 2,500 people in this bubble. all the while trying to keep up the image that the kids are students. If it not just about money how do you keep the players in the bubble while still continuing their education?

Seriously?!! All you've heard over the last six months is "social distancing" and wearing face covering to limit the transmission of the virus and you think 300 pound young men(on a college campus) running into each other for three hours is not a risk? And what bubble are you talking about?

Last edited:
But the obvious is from major contact due to football. Common sense anyone?

IDK. Common sense without proof would be "circumstantial" one would think. But the law requires PROOF.

Impossible to predict how this is all going to play out. I'd have to believe there is a lot of expert advice being provided both ways. Then as far as college sports, it'll be up to the respective conferences/schools to decide based on the information and advice made available to them.

Seriously?!! All you've heard over the last six months is "social distancing" and wearing face covering to limit the transmission of the virus and you think 300 pound young men(on a college campus) running into each other four three hours is not a risk? And what bubble are you talking about?
303 you make too much sense for some. Some just don't get it and never will.

How can you prove football was the reason? They could have gotten COVID anywhere.
You can't bet if there is a large outbreak with won't be hard to persuade enough jurors that there is a greater than 50% chance that defendant caused the harm alleged in the lawsuit. Remember the bar is much lower in civil courts then it is for criminal courts.

IDK. Common sense without proof would be "circumstantial" one would think. But the law requires PROOF

I assume you are not a lawyer, or if you are, you've never practiced criminal law? Criminal defendants are convicted all the time by way of inference and circumstantial evidence where - in theory - the burden of "proof" is higher than in civil court. The law deems such "PROOF" adequate to sustain a verdict. Additionally, an absence of conclusive proof will not necessarily deter the filing of a suit, where the goal will be to settle out-of-court. Going further, the costs of defending such suits can be quite onerous.

I assume you are not a lawyer, or if you are, you've never practiced criminal law? Criminal defendants are convicted all the time by way of inference and circumstantial evidence where - in theory - the burden of "proof" is higher than in civil court. The law deems such "PROOF" adequate to sustain a verdict. Additionally, an absence of conclusive proof will not necessarily deter the filing of a suit, where the goal will be to settle out-of-court. Going further, the costs of defending such suits can be quite onerous.

Are you talking about suits dealing specifically with where someone caught a virus?

What areas in Canada with adequate football facilities (locker room, training room, technology for broadcasting) are equipped to handle that type of bubble?

The ACC goes to Saskatoon, the PAC12 goes to Kamloops, the Big 12 goes to Regina, the SEC goes to Chicoutimi and the Big Ten goes to Yellowknife.

Problem solved.

BTW, the PAC12 has also officially postponed their season.

No surprise, as they are basically joined at the hip with the Big Ten.

The ACC has better academics than both the Big Ten and PAC 12 so by Intelligence, we’re smarter and therefore we made the right decision.
Btw I’m joking.....kind of

I’m not about to argue that’s wrong. The same argument is used for concussions. One difference here; the players are being given a chance to opt-out and keep their scholarships. So the greed of the school or the conference won’t affect the outcome for a kid that feels it’s too dangerous. You routinely see kids opt-out for injuries now. The calculus is a little different. The other thing to remember, there are insurance people on the front end that will ultimately pay for any litigation. If a conference moves forward, it will be with actuarial blessings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT