ADVERTISEMENT

It's official: Pitt announces Dior Johnson signing

Chris Peak

Lair Hall of Famer
Staff
Jun 19, 2004
Press release:

PITTSBURGH – The University of Pittsburgh men’s basketball program announced the official signing of 2022 four-star guard Dior Johnson Thursday morning. Johnson, ranked No. 35 in the 2022 ESPN Player Rankings, is the highest-rated signee of the Jeff Capel-era and Pitt’s highest ranked signee since Steven Adams (No. 6) in 2012.

“Dior is an outstanding prospect and one of the top guards in the class of 2022,” said head coach Jeff Capel. “We were able to develop a quick connection when he reopened his recruitment. He is talented, competitive, and eager to be challenged to reach his full potential on and off the court. He is ready to get to campus and begin working with his new teammates and we are excited to add a player of his caliber to our backcourt at this point in the summer.”

Johnson is one of seven players ranked in the Top 35 of the ESPN Rankings who are signed to play in the ACC. Duke has four Top 35 signees, while Pitt, Notre Dame and Syracuse each have one.

"I was looking for a coach to challenge me and hold me in high account," Johnson told ESPN.com via text when initially announcing his decision June 13. "I still have some things to work on and another level to tap into, in all phases of the game. Coach [Jeff] Capel has a great track record and was a great player himself. I honestly feel like he's going to pour into me as a person and player. Having an elite leader like himself , after us talking I knew Pitt is where I needed to be."

The Saugerties, N.Y., native burst onto the national recruiting scene as a seventh grader and has spent time at national powerhouse program Findlay Prep, IMG Academy, Oak Hill Academy, and Prolific Prep. He led Centennial High School to a 21-2 record and a California state championship in 2021 before concluding his high school career at Southern California Academy.

An outstanding scorer from all three levels with the ball handling skills and vision to be a high-level play maker, Johnson earned Maxpreps Second Team Sophomore All-America honors in 2020 after averaging 23.3 points, 6.5 rebounds and 4.9 assists per game at Mayfair High School.

Johnson, a 6-3, 185-pound guard, competed for a spot on the Team USA U18 squad in June and played in the 2022 Jordan Brand Classic game. He had seven points, one rebound and one assist in 17 minutes to help Team Air to a 118-109 win in the game.

Pitt’s latest signee joins a veteran backcourt rotation that features 1,000-point scorers Jamarius Burton (1,003), Nelly Cummings (1,112) and Nike Sibande (1,570) along with graduate transfer Greg Elliott and JUCO guard Cashius McNeilly.

The Panthers’ also return 2022 Honorable Mention All-ACC selection John Hugley (14.7 ppg., 7.9 rpg., 9 double-doubles).

Johnson is the eighth roster additions for Pitt since the conclusion of 2021-22 season. He joins Cummings, Elliott, McNeilly, Blake Hinson, Fede Federiko and twins Guillermo Diaz Graham and Jorge Diaz Graham as newcomers to the program.

Season tickets start as low as $280 with early renewals and new season ticket holders having the opportunity to take advantage of the four-month payment plan. Fans can secure new season tickets HERE.

Pitt's full 2022-23 schedule will be announced in the fall. In addition to another installment of the Backyard Brawl in non-conference play, Pitt will also once again play a loaded ACC home schedule with North Carolina, Louisville, Syracuse, Miami, Virginia, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest and Boston College scheduled to make trips to the Petersen Events Center.

“The Saugerties, N.Y., native burst onto the national recruiting scene as a seventh grader and has spent time at national powerhouse program Findlay Prep, IMG Academy, Oak Hill Academy, and Prolific Prep. He led Centennial High School to a 21-2 record and a California state championship in 2021 before concluding his high school career at Southern California Academy.”

this is a hilarious paragraph to read if you know nothing about prep basketball

Reactions: cabe23
“The Saugerties, N.Y., native burst onto the national recruiting scene as a seventh grader and has spent time at national powerhouse program Findlay Prep, IMG Academy, Oak Hill Academy, and Prolific Prep. He led Centennial High School to a 21-2 record and a California state championship in 2021 before concluding his high school career at Southern California Academy.”

I don’t think he even “spent time” at Findlay Prep. Pretty sure it closed between the time that he announced that he was going there and before he actually moved in.

Have ball, will travel...

Reactions: LCFP79
I don’t think he even “spent time” at Findlay Prep. Pretty sure it closed between the time that he announced that he was going there and before he actually moved in.
Well, Findlay Prep isnt even a real actual school. Its just a basketball team. The team goes to school at a real HS. Not sure how Nevada allowed this.

He has an NBA handle and change of direction. I can't imagine anyone being able to speed him up. High basketball I.Q. play imo.
He does play almost effortless. I have not watched his defense but his offense is not far off NBA. He is a one and done and will be fun to watch!

He does play almost effortless. I have not watched his defense but his offense is not far off NBA. He is a one and done and will be fun to watch!

The other thing that jumps out is his ability to take and make contested shots. It looks like he can just freeze a defender then raise up over them for a clean look.

Imo, his defense shows he's not an elite athlete but puts effort into his on ball defense. Basically, this is the area he needs to improve the most.

The other thing that jumps out is his ability to take and make contested shots. It looks like he can just freeze a defender then raise up over them for a clean look.

Imo, his defense shows he's not an elite athlete but puts effort into his on ball defense. Basically, this is the area he needs to improve the most.
Yep he can force the contact, make the shot and cause a foul......ala the trifecta

Step 5 - abuse and attack a girlfriend
Step 6 - get arrested
Step 7 - get kicked off team and out of school
Step 8 - end up in prison
Fixed it for you....there was no play...
Step 1 - Verbally commit
Step 2 - Sign
Step 3 - Arrive on campus
Step 4 - abuse and attack a girlfriend
Step 5 - get arrested
Step 6 - get kicked off team and out of school
Step 7 - end up in prison

Step 1 - Verbally commit
Step 2 - Sign
Step 3 - Arrive on campus
Step 4 - abuse and attack a girlfriend
Step 5 - get arrested