ADVERTISEMENT

It's time to play Yarnell

HailtoPitt

Board of Trustee
Jun 18, 2001
Seriously, Slovis is not the answer. Get Yarnell the experience before next season. When you throw a 3 yard pass to a covered WR on 4th and 6, you don't deserve to start. Almost as bad as the Florida QB throwing it out of bounds on 4th down today.

Slovis had a decent first half. But all the talk about “our goals are in front of us” are gone. Just play the young guy and see what happens.

They put him in a better position to succeed on the first half. Started the game off with the 3 WR and 1 TE set, and Slovis drove the team down the field. Then they went away from it until late in the game when they had to throw. Stupid gameplan.

Reactions: boseman7
Slovis had a decent first half. But all the talk about “our goals are in front of us” are gone. Just play the young guy and see what happens.
He had a decent first half because UNC had zero respect for his ability to hit a deep pass. He could lock into Wayne and throw the ball

once they made the adjustment and took Wayne away slowVis was toast. He has.no ability to find anyone other than the primary receiver

bad news. He’s not going pro and will return. Duzz will stick with him

Narduzzi already hinted that Slovis will be the guy next year, also.

Of course he will be. Narduzzi would have to admit fault for him not to be. He didn't have an OC at the time, so he can't pin this on anyone else. He'll either make it work or spend another season watching it not work and then act like we didn't all see what we saw. Muleduzzi doesn't change course or abandon ship. 56 years of never being wrong isn't going to end over one qb who didn't work out.

Reactions: pittmaninwv

Of course he will be. Narduzzi would have to admit fault for him not to be. He didn't have an OC at the time, so he can't pin this on anyone else. He'll either make it work or spend another season watching it not work and then act like we didn't all see what we saw. Muleduzzi doesn't change course or abandon ship. 56 years of never being wrong isn't going to end over one qb who didn't work out.

If I'm Yarnell, I would transfer if I don't get a shot.

Yarnell STINKS!!!!!!!!!!!

He will NEVER be a full time starter at Pitt. Please stop. Slovis is by far our best QB.

He also won’t have to recruit someone else. Nice easy winter in his huge North Hills gated mansion. No new OC to bother with, no new QB to bother with. 5 mil in the coffers. Then again somebody tell me what bubblehead Lyke has done this past calendar year? She’s disappeared too. Must be nice when you have no school president for a year. This university raises some eyebrows in its “leadership”…

Reactions: pittmaninwv
He also won’t have to recruit someone else. Nice easy winter in his huge North Hills gated mansion. No new OC to bother with, no new QB to bother with. 5 mil in the coffers. Then again somebody tell me what bubblehead Lyke has done this past calendar year? She’s disappeared too. Must be nice when you have no school president for a year. This university raises some eyebrows in its “leadership”…

The only reason a very mediocre Heather looks like a superstar is because of the absolute litany of Jabroni AD's that preceded her for the past 40 years. And the chancellors haven't been much better. From Nordy thinking they earned the right to "coast" while the Big East was imploding, to J Dennis, and Gallagher, it really is surprising we managed to have the wherewithal to win an ACC championship

The only reason a very mediocre Heather looks like a superstar is because of the absolute litany of Jabroni AD's the preceded her for the past 40 years. And the chancellors haven't been much better. From Nordy thinking they earned the right to "coast" while the Big East was imploding, to J Dennis, and Gallagher, it really is surprising we managed to have the wherewithal to win an ACC championship
Heather needs a scenery change before things get bad.

Yarnell STINKS!!!!!!!!!!!

He will NEVER be a full time starter at Pitt. Please stop. Slovis is by far our best QB.

Well, he currently has the highest passer rating of our QBs this year. Not that doing so is a huge accomplishment.

The only reason a very mediocre Heather looks like a superstar is because of the absolute litany of Jabroni AD's that preceded her for the past 40 years. And the chancellors haven't been much better. From Nordy thinking they earned the right to "coast" while the Big East was imploding, to J Dennis, and Gallagher, it really is surprising we managed to have the wherewithal to win an ACC championship

I knew the bell curve was going to be favorable for her when she received profuse praise for ditching our Georgia Tech knockoff uniforms in favor of the ones fans were begging to have back for over 20 years. Fish in a barrel, but only because the last few guys were blowing holes in their own feet.

I feel particularly bad about this season given everyone with a pulse saw the foreboding moves in the off-season with the conferences, and where is heading; and it’s clear the only prayer Pitt football had for existence past the end of this decade (or thereabouts) was a desperate all out assault to capitalize on last season and continue a rise in our national profile. We needed to project ourselves to the fabled Next Level at long last; there is no more time for screwing around. It was a dubious chance for sure, even if we were successful, but they needed to throw in a thousand percent to push for a top 10 showing and then continue it. That meant immediately a superlative OC hire and manic squeezing of the boosters to buy the very best of qb, not the obvious Max Browne Duh that this guy is and a failed old hack like Cig. It was the same old half-ass disaster of 2017 (not coincidentally Duz worst season up to this one). The program is truly doomed if it couldn’t rise above its moribund mediocrity, does not everyone realize?

Reactions: singregardless
Seriously, Slovis is not the answer. Get Yarnell the experience before next season. When you throw a 3 yard pass to a covered WR on 4th and 6, you don't deserve to start. Almost as bad as the Florida QB throwing it out of bounds on 4th down today.
Neither is this greatly overrated defense.

And you know this how ?
Because he couldn't come close to beating out Nick Patti for #2. And was #4 behind Kyler going into the WMU game but managed to beat him out that week. I have a ton of respect for Nick Patti but if you are in your 2nd year of college football and you still cant beat him out, you stink.

Because he couldn't come close to beating out Nick Patti for #2. And was #4 behind Kyler going into the WMU game but managed to beat him out that week. I have a ton of respect for Nick Patti but if you are in your 2nd year of college football and you still cant beat him out, you stink.
Sometimes coaches don’t give players an opportunity to beat somebody out. Their mind is made up before training camp starts. This is happened a lot in this city this year. And it is a classic case of players being overlooked because a coaching staff wants certain guys to start instead of looking at who gives us the best chance to win

Sometimes coaches don’t give players an opportunity to beat somebody out. Their mind is made up before training camp starts. This is happened a lot in this city this year. And it is a classic case of players being overlooked because a coaching staff wants certain guys to start instead of looking at who gives us the best chance to win
Yes. 1% of the time. The other 99% of the time, 3 star QBs whose offers were from Missouri St, UAB, Tulsa, Nevada, Texas St, and Utah might actually suck. I watched Yarnell play. He did not look like an FBS QB. He looked like any random FCS level dude who we have seen in Spring Games over the year.

So you’re saying what we saw when he played against Western Michigan was terrible? So if that’s terrible can you defined average? And can you also define great? I’m just asking so I know your scale of excellence

So you’re saying what we saw when he played against Western Michigan was terrible? So if that’s terrible can you defined average? And can you also define great? I’m just asking so I know your scale of excellence
He looked slow and unnatural. He is no different from dozens of other backup QBs who have played (or not played here). His claim to fame is he completed a few passes vs a really bad team. He will never be the starter here. One of the reasons Minchey is coming is because he knows he will be handed the keys.

He looked slow and unnatural. He is no different from dozens of other backup QBs who have played (or not played here). His claim to fame is he completed a few passes vs a really bad team. He will never be the starter here. One of the reasons Minchey is coming is because he knows he will be handed the keys.

He sees the field better than Slovis. Start him.

Reactions: singregardless
This is ridiculous. He had no shot to beat anybody out this season because Narduzzi wouldn't allow it to happen. Yarnell is better than the other 2 bums we have that's for sure.

Weird that you trust the judgement of Duzz and company about Yarnell but about literally nothing else. Why is that?

I wish he’d get a chance, too. And the guy from Brown, or wherever. Or you. Or Me. I can avoid a rush better than Slovis. I’ve had creditors after me. 😀

I’ve always been in the camp that coaches give way too much regard for the delicate psyche of QB. When it becomes clear they aren’t going to win for you, which it is definitely clear with Slovis, bench him and try the second guy. Then the third, then the fourth, then the walk-on, then give ROC a shot (in his costume).

Try freaking anything, anyone, to get a spark. You owe that to the other guys busting their butts. When the starters are playing great, backups just have to swallow their bile and wait. But when they stink and it’s obvious they’ll continue to stink, sending out the same starters to fail over and over reeks of a coach who has checked out and just plays his pets.

Or you use this year to get Slovis ready for next year. He had the tools.

Yes. 1% of the time. The other 99% of the time, 3 star QBs whose offers were from Missouri St, UAB, Tulsa, Nevada, Texas St, and Utah might actually suck. I watched Yarnell play. He did not look like an FBS QB. He looked like any random FCS level dude who we have seen in Spring Games over the year.
Yeah your right , who’d ever think that a pair of 6th round draft choices would become the greatest Qb in the history of the NFL or the best WR in the league . Or how about the coaching geniuses at UNC that keep Willie Parker on the bench . While Palko was a good qb at Pitt was he really better than Flacco ?

What you played like in high school should totally dictate the rest of your career in college .

If Slovis is the answer at Qb then they need to fire the OC because the way he plays he’s not the answer . ( Nor is scheme the HC insists on playing on D . )

If the coaching staff sticks with Slovis I’d expect anyone currently on the team at qb to leave

Reactions: boseman7
I do agree with you on this 2 really bad contract extensions on her resume in Capel and narduzzi not good
So many fans were in favor of giving Narduzzi the contract extension after last season. He still had plenty of time on the contract and they easily could’ve waited to show last season wasn’t a fluke.

So many fans were in favor of giving Narduzzi the contract extension after last season. He still had plenty of time on the contract and they easily could’ve waited to show last season wasn’t a fluke.
That’s the game that is played everywhere and we’re in no position to be different. But Lyke should have tried to be more involved and insistent that a truly dynamic OC hire was tied to it. Leaving him to own devices with that hire has proved to be disaster. He made one great hire, a couple average ones (Whip was rescued by the Covid year), and two absolutely terrible ones.

Seriously, the extension is one thing, all schools need to do that with a coach for the recruiting, etc, But external engagement by the AD for the OC hire is where the program DOES have to be different; if Duz balked at that (and he likely would have at first) we indeed should have done exactly what you said, and let him stay on the previous deal.

Because it has been right there on paper and the TV screen for these last 9 years: with a good to superlative offense, the team has excellent success with Duz; without that, we are mediocre or worse. HE doesn’t seem to care, but LYKE needs to care. The glaring acres of yellow seats the rest of the way are why she has to care. The cratering of donations and ticket sales (a big price discount is going to be unavoidable) is why she needs to care. Especially with another terrible basketball season nearly inevitable now.

Dammit this is a billion dollar business Pitt is in, and they have to manage it professionally. This is not some club beer league softball team.

Non-revenue sport hero. Judge her by what matters:

-Capel
- Dooz extension and raise

Sometimes you need a Barry Alvarez around to make sure things get done right with the only two sports that really matter from a perception and budget standpoint. Do you think Narduzzi would have been allowed to have had 5 OCs in 7 years if BA was his boss?

Last edited:
Non-revenue sport hero. Judge her by what matters:

-Capel
- Dooz extension and raise

Sometimes you need a Barry Alvarez around to make sure things get done right with the only two sports that really matter from a perception and budget standpoint. Do you think Narduzzi would have been allowed to have had 5 OCs in 7 years if BA was his boss?

I would also add women's basketball to the list and not doing so well there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT