ADVERTISEMENT

Izzy for Heisman

Leads NCAA in rushing TDs with 12 and second in rushing at yards at 830. Leader is at 879 but with 22 more attempts.

Any chance he goes pro after this season?
Pitt would need to be 9-3 or 10-2 and he would need massive numbers.

Yes

Chances he wins the Heisman... 0%

Chances he goes pro... 100%

And Walker didn't get invited last year. Last RB to actually win it had 2,219 yards and 28 touchdowns.

Reactions: pittdan77
My bad he was 6th in voting.
All draft boards I see don’t have him in the top 30 for running backs.

Not sure how he'd do it in the NFL. His style is weird. Decent size, but plays like a 175-pound lightning bolt. Not shifty, but ridiculously fast. But I can't imagine his stock ever being higher. Makes sense to go. I think someone would take him in the mid to late rounds.

No chance he is even under consideration for the Heisman. If he gets a mid-round grade, I think it may be worthwhile for him to go pro. I don't see him as a first- or second-round guy and another year would just mean more wear and tear.

If he does not project as a high enough pick he may stay in school.

My concern would be, does he stay at Pitt?

With so many OL leaving It should not shock anyone.

Not sure how he'd do it in the NFL. His style is weird. Decent size, but plays like a 175-pound lightning bolt. Not shifty, but ridiculously fast. But I can't imagine his stock ever being higher. Makes sense to go. I think someone would take him in the mid to late rounds.

Jonathan Taylor had a similar style at UW. I think he's doing OK in the NFL.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Jonathan Taylor had a similar style at UW. I think he's doing OK in the NFL.
Jonathan Taylor had a similar style but he's also 230 pounds and runs a 4.4. He was also one of the most productive RBs in college football history. If Abinakanda can gain 15 pounds of muscle and maintain his speed, he'd be an early 2nd round pick, but that's far from a given.

If he does not project as a high enough pick he may stay in school.

My concern would be, does he stay at Pitt?

With so many OL leaving It should not shock anyone.
Interestingly enough, of the starters this past game only Minor is out of eligibility because Warren and Drexel didn't play and Hoiy left with injury. OL was Taylor, Minor, Kradel, Zubovic, Goncalves. I think Izzy goes pro though. Think you guys are low on him especially if he keeps this up. Love James Conner but, if he keeps this up, Izzy is a better prospect and JC went in the 3rd round.

It's possible that Pitt had the best QB, WR and RB on the team last year. And Narduzzi still lost to Western Michigan.

Jonathan Taylor had a similar style but he's also 230 pounds and runs a 4.4. He was also one of the most productive RBs in college football history. If Abinakanda can gain 15 pounds of muscle and maintain his speed, he'd be an early 2nd round pick, but that's far from a given.

Taylor was only 9 pounds heavier at the combine than what Izzy weights now. He played at the same 215 in college. Speedwise JT's 100m PR was 10.49. Izzy’s was 10.69. Izzy should run a 4.4 at the combine as well.

JT has better feet/balance imo.

If he has the most yards and TDs and no QB from the Big 10 or SEC lock it up then he has a shot especially with Picket doing well in the voting last year.

But ...

When you're a QB in the SEC you can have the worst game of your career in the season finally, being the main reason for your team almost losing, but throw a TD on the final drive and you're getting the Heisman.

I’m giving my geezerness away but he reminds me of Archie Griffin in stature and how he runs … of course AG ironically won the Heisman twice…a really different time in college football though.

I’m giving my geezerness away but he reminds me of Archie Griffin in stature and how he runs … of course AG ironically won the Heisman twice…a really different time in college football though.

Yes, it was a time when there was a chance the best college football player would actually win the Heisman. Now that doesn't happen.

Leads NCAA in rushing TDs with 12 and second in rushing at yards at 830. Leader is at 879 but with 22 more attempts.

Any chance he goes pro after this season?
He wont be at Pitt. Will make $2 million in the SEC, which is more than he can make as 3rd or 4th round draft pick. The days of these mid-round draft picks declaring early are over. They can make more in college.

Hate to be Debbie Downer and bring you all down to earth, but his stats will be balancing off pretty soon. Expect teams to be loading up the box to stop the run, especially when we have absolutely no passing game. Teams can totally sell out to defend the run.

Hate to be Debbie Downer and bring you all down to earth, but his stats will be balancing off pretty soon. Expect teams to be loading up the box to stop the run, especially when we have absolutely no passing game. Teams can totally sell out to defend the run.
That might be just what Pitt needs to be able to pass the ball.

Thankfully, Pitt has a running game to attempt to stop. I wouldn’t want to think about not having any part of the O that didn’t concern other teams.

He should be in consideration if he keeps it up and stays injury free. Really hard for a back his size to stay injury free.
Go pro is comical, he could probably make more here in NIl deals next year than managing to eek out a FA deal in the NFL and maybe make a roster.

RB's only have so many carries. So even if Izzy has a 4th rd grade, you go pro. That would be my advice. Especially a speed back.

I always look at it in two parts:

1) Does the guys have a realistic chance at playing in the pros?

2) Can he improve his stock much by returning?

For Izzy, it's yes and no.

It's the same reason I think Hallet will go pro. He's having a good season.

Now, a guy like Hill... I would answer yes and yes. He hasn't blown me away this season, so I think he could better his draft position by returning next year. Same for Baldonado, really. But both still have six more games to turn it on.

Reactions: pittdan77
Here's the better question, if Izzy runs for 200 next game, and then 300 the following game, will he be in the top 3 for voters? Or would they just insert the top QBs from the SEC, BigTen Pac12/Ohlahoma/Clemson?

Here's the better question, if Izzy runs for 200 next game, and then 300 the following game, will he be in the top 3 for voters? Or would they just insert the top QBs from the SEC, BigTen Pac12/Ohlahoma/Clemson?
Maybe Sean Clifford—he’s been at for a long time!

I actually saw him on somebody's list last week. Hilarious.
several weeks back, I was catching a Penn State game, the announcer was talking about Clifford relative to how many years he has been at Penn State. The announcer said maybe the reason he’s been at PS so long is that he has nowhere to go. Meaning, he ain‘t NFL material.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT