ADVERTISEMENT

Jackson Walti drafted at #56

If I recall he was initially a walk-on. Is that correct?

Yes but not really. He was "recruited" out of Montverde, a soccer powerhouse, but wasnt given a scholarship. But they only get 11 scholarships and many internationals are "walk-ons" as they get their schooling paid for by other means. With Walti and playing HS ball here, rules may have been different for him but its not like he decided he wanted to go to college at Pitt and saw a flyer in the Towers for walk-on tryouts. He was a recruit.

Yes but not really. He was "recruited" out of Montverde, a soccer powerhouse, but wasnt given a scholarship. But they only get 11 scholarships and many internationals are "walk-ons" as they get their schooling paid for by other means. With Walti and playing HS ball here, rules may have been different for him but its not like he decided he wanted to go to college at Pitt and saw a flyer in the Towers for walk-on tryouts. He was a recruit.
Walk-on recruit.

Frankly, I’ve never been overly impressed by him as a defensive MF. Of course, my problem is that I’ve been spoiled by watching guys like Phillip Lahm, Kante and Busquets play when they were in their prime.

ADVERTISEMENT