ADVERTISEMENT

Jacquesson going pro

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
One of 11 players with Generation Adidas. It was fun watching him all these years and this pretty much means he's going to make an MLS team. I beat Pgh Soccer Now with this scoop.

Pretty big deal and good coupe for the program. HCJV will reload next year

What I cant understand is what incentive it is for MLS/US Soccer to offer these Generation Adidas contracts to foreign college players who cannot play for the USMNT. I mean this is great for Jacquesson but I dont see what MLS or US Soccer get out of this.

What I cant understand is what incentive it is for MLS/US Soccer to offer these Generation Adidas contracts to foreign college players who cannot play for the USMNT. I mean this is great for Jacquesson but I dont see what MLS or US Soccer get out of this.

Well MLS teams get a chance to get a good young player that doesn't count against their salary cap. You don't think that's a good thing from the team's perspectives?

And US Soccer doesn't have anything to do with the program, so why should they get anything out of it?

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Well MLS teams get a chance to get a good young player that doesn't count against their salary cap. You don't think that's a good thing from the team's perspectives?

And US Soccer doesn't have anything to do with the program, so why should they get anything out of it?

Still doesn't make sense. They can get a good young player from much better leagues than the NCAA. Why limit this program to NCAA players especially if they aren't American. And I know US Soccer isnt directly involved but they are obviously an MLS stakeholder and should indirectly benefit from MLS programs.

Their name mentioned, over and over and over again.

You do understand what advertising is all about, right?

Dude, my point is why does Adidas want worse foreign NCAA players over better South American C teamers? Get some C teamers from Ecuador and Paraguay and call them Generation Adidas? If these guys arent American, why limit this program to NCAA players?

Dude, my point is why does Adidas want worse foreign NCAA players over better South American C teamers? Get some C teamers from Ecuador and Paraguay and call them Generation Adidas? If these guys arent American, why limit this program to NCAA players?

I know what your point is. I am politely trying to point out that your point is really stupid. But OK, I get it, sometimes that doesn't work.

SMF, your point is really freaking stupid. For Adidas it's an advertising gimmick, like any other advertising gimmick.

Why does Volkswagon put Christian Pulisic in their commercials instead of Leo Messi or Kylian M'Bop-Aye? Because they think that it gets them a better bang for their buck. Does the guy who bitches all the time about NIL deals that don't provide value to the company really not understand advertising that provides a value to the company?

I know what your point is. I am politely trying to point out that your point is really stupid. But OK, I get it, sometimes that doesn't work.

SMF, your point is really freaking stupid. For Adidas it's an advertising gimmick, like any other advertising gimmick.

Why does Volkswagon put Christian Pulisic in their commercials instead of Leo Messi or Kylian M'Bop-Aye? Because they think that it gets them a better bang for their buck. Does the guy who bitches all the time about NIL deals that don't provide value to the company really not understand advertising that provides a value to the company?

I figured it out for you.

MLS does this to promote NCAA soccer. They know they can go to any street corner in South America and find better players, but the Internationals who played NCAA soccer and sign GA contracts give NCAA coaches ammo to recruit internationally which helps the college game, which helps US Soccer. Adidas is just a name they slap on it and I doubt Adidas would care much if MLS told them they are changing the program to finding players on a street corner in Ecuador.

I figured it out for you.

MLS does this to promote NCAA soccer. They know they can go to any street corner in South America and find better players, but the Internationals who played NCAA soccer and sign GA contracts give NCAA coaches ammo to recruit internationally which helps the college game, which helps US Soccer. Adidas is just a name they slap on it and I doubt Adidas would care much if MLS told them they are changing the program to finding players on a street corner in Ecuador.

And I doubt that you have any idea what so ever what you are talking about.

Wait, I'm sorry, that's not fair.

I don't have any doubt that you don't know what you are talking about.

I already told you. Maybe the real problem here is that you have the memory of a goldfish?

No you haven't. You aren't paying attention. South American C teamers are better. Why not go to a street corner in Ecuador or Colombia and find 11 players to call them Generation Adidas? You act like Adidas cares about this. I doubt anyone at Adidas even knows what this program is. That name just got slapped on there when they took over league-wide sponsorship from Nike. In early MLS days, Nike sponsored this program and it was ONLY for USMNT-eligible players and that makes total sense. Having this program open to international players who played NCAA soccer doesn't make sense.

No you haven't. You aren't paying attention. South American C teamers are better. Why not go to a street corner in Ecuador or Colombia and find 11 players to call them Generation Adidas? You act like Adidas cares about this. I doubt anyone at Adidas even knows what this program is. That name just got slapped on there when they took over league-wide sponsorship from Nike. In early MLS days, Nike sponsored this program and it was ONLY for USMNT-eligible players and that makes total sense. Having this program open to international players who played NCAA soccer doesn't make sense.

I've said this to you before, but it fits perfectly here. Sometimes I think you just act dumb as part of your "internet persona". Other times I am pretty sure it's not an act.

This is one of those second times.

I've said this to you before, but it fits perfectly here. Sometimes I think you just act dumb as part of your "internet persona". Other times I am pretty sure it's not an act.

This is one of those second times.

Again, you have no idea what you're talking which is why you refuse to answer these direct questions. You know I'm right.

Again, you have no idea what you're talking which is why you refuse to answer these direct questions. You know I'm right.

I already answered your question. It's a sponsorship opportunity for Adidas, just as, for instance, the MLS goal of the week is a sponsorship opportunity for Audi. Adidas gets exposure to MLS fans (and people like you, for example) and the MLS teams get a way to add players to their roster that they don't have to account for on their salary cap. It's win-win.

The fact that you can't understand something so simple, even after it's been explained to you, doesn't mean that isn't what's going on. It simply means that you cannot understand something that is really a pretty basic concept.

I mean you realize how dumb you look when you ask a question, and then I give you the answer, and then you accuse me of not knowing what I am talking about because you can't fathom that such a simple answer is also the correct answer, don't you?

Apparently not.

I already answered your question. It's a sponsorship opportunity for Adidas, just as, for instance, the MLS goal of the week is a sponsorship opportunity for Audi. Adidas gets exposure to MLS fans (and people like you, for example) and the MLS teams get a way to add players to their roster that they don't have to account for on their salary cap. It's win-win.

The fact that you can't understand something so simple, even after it's been explained to you, doesn't mean that isn't what's going on. It simply means that you cannot understand something that is really a pretty basic concept.

I mean you realize how dumb you look when you ask a question, and then I give you the answer, and then you accuse me of not knowing what I am talking about because you can't fathom that such a simple answer is also the correct answer, don't you?

Apparently not.

I've asked you 10 times now and you still dont understand. I've said Adidas doesn't give a f*ck as its just some blanket sponsorship with MLS so they dont care if its NCAA players or Iraqi players. What I am asking you is why does MLS restrict this program to NCAA players? I have already answered this question but you disagreed with me.

Slap%2Bto%2Ba%2BKneeling%2BOpponent.gif

I've asked you 10 times now and you still dont understand. I've said Adidas doesn't give a f*ck as its just some blanket sponsorship with MLS so they dont care if its NCAA players or Iraqi players. What I am asking you is why does MLS restrict this program to NCAA players? I have already answered this question but you disagreed with me.

So let's recap. You have stated on numerous occasions that you think that MLS should have a lot more US and US college players in the league, that it would be a lot more interesting to you and that you would be a lot more likely to watch if there were more guys you recognized from college playing in the league rather than random, better players from elsewhere, and you also can't fathom any reason at all why MLS would set up a program that gets more college players into the league.

Like I said, this is one of those times.

So let's recap. You have stated on numerous occasions that you think that MLS should have a lot more US and US college players in the league, that it would be a lot more interesting to you and that you would be a lot more likely to watch if there were more guys you recognized from college playing in the league rather than random, better players from elsewhere, and you also can't fathom any reason at all why MLS would set up a program that gets more college players into the league.

Like I said, this is one of those times.

I literally said many threads up its to promote NCAA soccer and you disagreed or maybe didn't have the mental capacity to comprehend what you were reading.

I literally said many threads up its to promote NCAA soccer and you disagreed or maybe didn't have the mental capacity to comprehend what you were reading.

So again, you would watch more MLS soccer if they had more players like college guys from places like Pitt on the teams, but you still can't figure out what MLS possibly gets out of a program that gets more players like college guys from places like Pitt into the league.

Given your stance on MLS players this program should make perfect sense to you. In fact you should theoretically want to see more of it. And yet you still can't figure it out.

So again, you would watch more MLS soccer if they had more players like college guys from places like Pitt on the teams, but you still can't figure out what MLS possibly gets out of a program that gets more players like college guys from places like Pitt into the league.

Given your stance on MLS players this program should make perfect sense to you. In fact you should theoretically want to see more of it. And yet you still can't figure it out.

I was right the 2nd time around. A program to promote college soccer, not necessarily to help young American players. I didn't realize that underclassmen were ineligible unless part of this program (ie Jacquesson). This program almost is geared towards internationals in college recruiting I think. "Sign up for a 4 year scholarship but dont worry, if you are good enough, MLS will take you early." An effort to compete against turning pro to play in the 4th and 5th tiers in Europe.

It will be interesting to see if Noel comes back. He can be play next season as property of Austin as long as he doesn't sign a pro contract. If he doesn't make their MLS team, I'd wonder if Austin would rather have him play at Pitt for free than their USL side.

Jacquesson started and scored in their 1st preseason match at LAFC last night. Loeffelsend isnt with the team yet, dealing with immigration issues.

Reactions: singregardless
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT