ADVERTISEMENT

James Conner signs with Arizona

Actually for the most part it doesn't. If it did, you'd pick a quarterback, because if he turns out good he'd be worth $20+ million and you'd be paying him $3 million. It would give you, by far, the best cost over replacement.

But of course if you draft a guy who isn't any good or that your team doesn't need simply because of what value he may provide over replacement before too long you are going to be drafting guys whose rookie contract averages well over $3 million per year.

I mean sure, if you think that one of the running backs and one of the offensive linemen are both likely to provide you with the same value then you can/should take replacement cost into account. But if not, you have to pick the guy that you think is more likely to be better.

I never said to just draft anyone regardless of position based on VOR. Obviously they shouldn't take a guy rated at 50th overall because he's a QB.

What I said was the Steelers have a lot of needs and 3 of those - pass rush, CB, OT - are premium positions that represent massive savings compared to what you can get on the market. Consideration should therefore be given to the maximum potential return of taking an OT that might play for 10 years versus an RB that might play for 5 (and who is more replaceable on the market). I would just (almost) never burn a 1st on a RB unless I was a team, like KC last year, that had very few needs. And even then I'm not sure it's a great idea.

Reactions: Parkview57
I would just (almost) never burn a 1st on a RB unless I was a team, like KC last year, that had very few needs. And even then I'm not sure it's a great idea.

I agree with you 100% on that. Even in the Kipper draft scenario where all the highly rated linemen have already been picked I would still have a problem with picking a running back. I think if the guys were available that he has available for the Stillers to pick I'd probably take Zaven Collins, who he has going 28.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I agree with you 100% on that. Even in the Kipper draft scenario where all the highly rated linemen have already been picked I would still have a problem with picking a running back. I think if the guys were available that he has available for the Stillers to pick I'd probably take Zaven Collins, who he has going 28.
With Williams and Spillane back I don't see them going ILB in the first. They haven't hid their love for Harris.

Yeah, if it isn’t a lineman that can start available at 24, that probably means some other players have fallen. Maybe that helps leverage a trade down. If a safety, LB or corner falls I’d consider taking them since they could play right away. If they can get Collins that would be awesome since he could help in the middle and possibly back up on the edge.

I like Harris, just not at 24.
I'm with you. I don't like the idea of taking a one-contract player in the first round. I also know that the weakest two positions on the roster right now are C and RB (arguably tackle as well). The Steelers don't have a starting-caliber player at either position and Okorafor and Banner are borderline starters.

ADVERTISEMENT