ADVERTISEMENT

James Franklin is a dirtbag

Look, I understand running it up on pitt. Narduzzi basically asked for it with all the taunting.

Running it up on Kent state though? Why the hell, up 49-10 with 6 minutes left are you throwing go routes with your backup qb?

What a complete jack wad.

Yes he is but I think sportsmanship in terms of not running the score up is overrated. Yes, I know 99% of the world thinks running the score up is a bad thing but is it really? Why should the team ahead give up? Its one thing to leave your first stringers in there but why cant your 2nd string play "real football" when they are in there. And PSU is playing for a CFP bid. Like it or not, margin of victory counts in the subconsciousness of voters. 63-10 looks a lot more impressive than 42-10

Yes he is but I think sportsmanship in terms of not running the score up is overrated. Yes, I know 99% of the world thinks running the score up is a bad thing but is it really? Why should the team ahead give up? Its one thing to leave your first stringers in there but why cant your 2nd string play "real football" when they are in there. And PSU is playing for a CFP bid. Like it or not, margin of victory counts in the subconsciousness of voters. 63-10 looks a lot more impressive than 42-10
I'm from the school that says if you don't like it, get better.
Plus, I could give a rats behind about Franklin. Let's focus on us.

But ya know what? It shouldn’t look more impressive... these people are supposed to know more than the average barfly about football right? So they would also know that it’s just one school being a jackass running it up right?

Running it up is stupid on all accounts and someone is gonna get a chance to run it right up Franklin’s ass this year at some point ... karma is a bitch.

I didn’t like him challenging the fumble against pitt, stop dragging the game on. I thought icing the Georgia state kicker was one of the most ridiculous things a college coach has ever done. Again, stop dragging the game on, that timeout really did nothing.

Running up the score though? Who the frig ever decided that should be frowned upon. If you feel getting your backup qb game experience helps prepare your team for later down the line, screw someone else’s “feelings”, let him throw the ball a little.

Franklin might be the biggest doosh to ever step foot on the sidelines. Running up the score when he can has absolutely zero to do with it though. You don’t want embarrassed? Man up and stop them.

When did anyone decide it was a douche move to run up the score? Seriously?

Shit at least the 30 or so years that I’ve paid attention to college football...

In fact any suggestion it’s NOT a douche move is what would be “new”....it wasn’t cool when Cooper did it at Ohio State either....

I believe that the backs ups should be playing real football. I believe if you dont like it, stop it get better. With that said if you are playing an FCS school you should not run it up. They have a different set of rules so their is not get better there.

Look, I understand running it up on pitt. Narduzzi basically asked for it with all the taunting.

Running it up on Kent state though? Why the hell, up 49-10 with 6 minutes left are you throwing go routes with your backup qb?

What if McSorley gets a serious injury and they need that backup QB? Won't the real time game experience be helpful? Is he the projected starter next year? Handing the ball off in "garbage time" isn't going to help him much if he's needed to execute throws downfield in another game.

You could argue it also helps the losing team get better. They gain nothing by stoppping half-hearted runs into the middle of the line. They can get better if the winning team runs their full offense.

I didn’t like him challenging the fumble against pitt, stop dragging the game on. I thought icing the Georgia state kicker was one of the most ridiculous things a college coach has ever done. Again, stop dragging the game on, that timeout really did nothing.

Running up the score though? Who the frig ever decided that should be frowned upon. If you feel getting your backup qb game experience helps prepare your team for later down the line, screw someone else’s “feelings”, let him throw the ball a little.

Franklin might be the biggest doosh to ever step foot on the sidelines. Running up the score when he can has absolutely zero to do with it though. You don’t want embarrassed? Man up and stop them.

Icing the Georgia State kicker and challenging the fumble were legit poor sportsmanship douchebag moves. Running up the score with 2nd stringers isnt

As much as I disliked Paterno, he did not imtentionally run up the score. I well remember his agreement to keep the clock running in at least one game against a completely hapless Pitt team in the 60's (65-0).
it is a sport. It requires sportsmanship. A HC coach has an obligation to the young men he mentors to teach them sportsmanship and most, if not all, colleges and universities avow that in the mission statements of their athletic department.

It's college football, you should not be accused of running the score up unless your total first team is in there, let the players on offense try to the best of their ability to score, and the defense to stop them and get the ball back, that is the nature of competition. The players only have so much opportunity to play on Saturday so let'em have at it. If a coach does try to run the score up who cares?

As much as I disliked Paterno, he did not imtentionally run up the score. I well remember his agreement to keep the clock running in at least one game against a completely hapless Pitt team in the 60's (65-0).
it is a sport. It requires sportsmanship. A HC coach has an obligation to the young men he mentors to teach them sportsmanship and most, if not all, colleges and universities avow that in the mission statements of their athletic department.

That is the only thing positive I can say about JoePed

Reactions: PittPanthers90
Doesn’t matter. We have posters on this board who count how many times Franklin pisses a day so they can bitch about it. They care more about the failure of psu than the success of Pitt. It’s a mental illness.

We also have posters on this board who claim to be Pitt fans who say they want Pitt to lose to Penn State because it would piss off people on this board.

Talk about mentally ill!

Running it up with 6 minutes left is a total lack of class and respect for the opponents. Thats the PSU way. Whether its right or wrong is a matter of opinion. The PSU way is what happens when someone knows they will never ever have to face any consequences for their arrogance.

He's a jerk for threatening the assault victim at Vanderbilt (of assaults he engineered). He should be in prison for it.

Anyone voting for them in any poll, whether they win by 5 or 50, is not exactly satanic ... but closer to that than angelic.

But that's how the world should be, not how it is.

And scoring all you can is what the game allows and what any team should try to do, nothing to do with him specifically.

I can't stand PSU or Franklin...I hope they never win another game, but the reality is they play the "rules" of college football perfectly.

1. Terrible schedule = good bowl games every year (no matter what talent they have)
2. Run up their stats against bad comp...helps recruiting, awards, and perception of quality play.
3. Say their unrivaled so that each time they loose a big game they tell the sports world that its just 1 of 12 doesn't matter. Great for perception and horrible for "college football rivalries".
4. Have a million branch campus with root/pay for their football program.

I hope the school of touch and cover ...goes 0-100 for their next 99 games, but they have mastered playing the system. They get talented players because of it and Johnnys and Joes crush X&O's.

H2P

I'm from the school that says if you don't like it, get better.
Plus, I could give a rats behind about Franklin. Let's focus on us.
Well everyone knows that when a team is way down and the game is late players aren’t playing with the same intensity anymore. It’s good sportsmanship to call off the dogs and just keep it on the ground. Someday James from State College is going to be the guy that is down. If someone kicks him in the throat while he is down he better not whine about it.

What is funny is Saint Joseph Paterno used to disparage the Jackie Sherrill's of the world for being cocky, arrogant and running up scores and the cult boasted that they won with dignity and honor.

Now the shoe is on the other foot and they have amnesia.
Joe just turned over in his grave...again.

I think running it up is ok.

Or maybe they just take a vote from viewers to end the game when someone thinks the game is “really over.”

Reactions: JJTopp99
Why in the good **** are we still talking about PSU and their team? PITT PITT PITT, stop focusing on the team tat curb stomped us. Guess what, it was a loss, it doesn't matter if it was 51-6 or 13-10, its still 1 loss. We have the ACC Coastal staring us in the eyes and no matter how bad we've looked thus far, we still have a decent chance to be in Charlotte (Miami doesn't scare me one bit). AND STOP TALKING ABOUT PENN STATE FOR CHRIST SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!! All better :)

Reactions: odshowtime
How many people on this board were complaining last year when we beat Rice 42-10. Max Browne had a great day and threw a touchdown with 4 minutes left in the game after he passed his way down the field. He got pulled after that and DiNucci threw twice with under two minutes left in the game. I seem to remember the board being pretty happy after that game. Does that make HCPN a douche as well. Every team runs it up if they can. Isn't this also the same board that complained we didn't score on Albany in the second half of s blow out

Agreed. Backups get their shot in the game, they should be able to play as if the game still mattered. You don’t like it? Stop it, or schedule somebody else who you can compete with. Don’t be a money grubbing whore then complain about how you were treated.
I always thought that the idea of having your second string Qb hand off was dumb. The idea is to get your second stringers meaningful reps. If they run up the score so be it.
In college, this is the key. In the NFL you don't really worry about getting backups real reps, but it does matter in college football. It is really silly to waste that opportunity to get your younger players real reps because you are worried about the losers thinking you are running up the score.

Reactions: JJTopp99

Water is wet . The sky is blue . You are correct .

Next ?

I think every team should run up the score when they have the opportunity. It's bizarre that people get triggered by that when it isn't happening to their team.

James Franklin is a dirt bag for many, many other reasons. Personally contacting an alleged rape victim at Vanderbilt being chief among them.

Perception. Because when he loses to OSU and Wisconsin at the end of the year he can hang his hat on some blowout Ws.

Why in the good **** are we still talking about PSU and their team? PITT PITT PITT, stop focusing on the team tat curb stomped us. Guess what, it was a loss, it doesn't matter if it was 51-6 or 13-10, its still 1 loss. We have the ACC Coastal staring us in the eyes and no matter how bad we've looked thus far, we still have a decent chance to be in Charlotte (Miami doesn't scare me one bit). AND STOP TALKING ABOUT PENN STATE FOR CHRIST SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!! All better :)
LOL ... They get bragging rights for a year. That's all. Personally, I agree and have moved on. We are 2-1 and I see alot of positives from this team last week. We were prepared, had a good gameplan and executed well. Penalties were down, we caused turnovers. Some players stepped up on the OL this week. Herndon and Dintino played very well. Hamlin played well in the secondary. I have a few concerns. 1, our punter - he had a nice kick inside the 10, but his punts for the most part have been short w/ hit or miss hang time. Briggs at safety is hurting us as well. I see improvement from alot of players, so I dont see why they cant improve as well if they put the effort in. Avonte Maddox was not the most gifted player but elevated his game enough to be on an NFL roster.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT