ADVERTISEMENT

JDG

This is his second foot injury? Or did he reaggravate it? Didn't Greg Oden once an NBA #1 draft pick have his career end really fast over a foot injury?

This is his second foot injury? Or did he reaggravate it? Didn't Greg Oden once an NBA #1 draft pick have his career end really fast over a foot injury?
Core/midsection, not another foot injury.

Reactions: VincePITT
Saw him at the Jeff Capel basketball camp my kid goes to. He is thin as a rail. Was kinda disappointing. He has a long way to go to be any type of contributor on this team. Of the two JDG was the more coveted recruit. Turns out GDG is getting more productive minutes. He was supposed to be the project.

Saw him at the Jeff Capel basketball camp my kid goes to. He is thin as a rail. Was kinda disappointing. He has a long way to go to be any type of contributor on this team. Of the two JDG was the more coveted recruit. Turns out GDG is getting more productive minutes. He was supposed to be the project.

Really? I thought it was the opposite. GDG seemed better right away. Still hoping Jorge takes a redshirt.

Really? I thought it was the opposite. GDG seemed better right away. Still hoping Jorge takes a redshirt.
This is how I remember it. Guillermo was viewed for years as the better prospect, and really as the potential high major player between the two. Guillermo was the one who was more well known on the international circuit, Guillermo was the one who was part of the Spanish national teams, etc.

Then, super late in the recruiting cycle, Jorge became a really late riser, driven mostly by Jamie Shaw deciding to make Jorge a fringe top 50 recruit in the on3 rankings. Jamie Shaw even predicted that Jorge would be the ACC rookie of the year in 2022-23, so the whole Jorge late riser aspect was pretty much entirely driven by Shaw. I can understand why Jorge was a late riser - a 7 foot wing who can shoot from the perimeter is the type of frame that doesn’t come around too often - but Guillermo was consistently viewed as the safer, higher floor projection as a center.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
Wasn't it Jorge that was on the Spanish national team and Guillermo didn't make it? I just recall reading on here that he was the more talented more fluid player and Guillermo would be more of a project big man.

Wasn't it Jorge that was on the Spanish national team and Guillermo didn't make it? I just recall reading on here that he was the more talented more fluid player and Guillermo would be more of a project big man.
Guillermo was the one on the national team. Jorge tried out and didn’t make it.

To me, Jorge always felt like the bigger project, who maybe had higher upside. His frame of being a good shooting 7 footer who can play the 3 or the 4 was always going to create a huge ceiling, but also a risk that the frame just wouldn’t ever translate. Guillermo was a relatively straightforward seven foot euro 5 man - he needed to adapt to the American game, but the projection was pretty much exactly what we’ve gotten.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
It's probably good that he didn't reinjure the foot. but midsection? hopefully he doesn't lose weight, that's the last thing he needs.
The description of his injury sounds like a sports hernia. Should be ok after surgery.

Guillermo was the one on the national team. Jorge tried out and didn’t make it.

To me, Jorge always felt like the bigger project, who maybe had higher upside. His frame of being a good shooting 7 footer who can play the 3 or the 4 was always going to create a huge ceiling, but also a risk that the frame just wouldn’t ever translate. Guillermo was a relatively straightforward seven foot euro 5 man - he needed to adapt to the American game, but the projection was pretty much exactly what we’ve gotten.

Which is why I want to see a redshirt. Jorge has upside as a wing but needs time and I dont know how much he's going to play this year. Would like to see Year 5 Jorge.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT