ADVERTISEMENT

jerk, made a business decision

He did what was necessary with a weak QB room and brought in a plug and play starter that he has coached. It was a smart play on his part. How it works out is anyone’s guess, but it was the right move. I don’t think Caleb Williams was looking at transferring to Pitt.

Although whoever’s currently 3rd string at USC probably is. 😎
Maybe the QB room you speak of was "weak" because they had an OC who ran a high school like offense.

Maybe the QB room you speak of was "weak" because they had an OC who ran a high school like offense.
There are some legitimate doubts on how QBs were handled last year. But there’s also no denying that Pitt went in the opposite order than the norm, bringing in a transfer QB and then bringing in the OC. And given what we saw, the QB in question clearly was not a good fit, and would not have been for basically any team (and with any OC) that did not have five star talent on the OL and at WR, which we certainly didn’t, and only a very select few ever do.

If there’s any valid criticism of Narduzzi or Cig, it was not pulling Slovis in the GT and Louisville games when his awful play was basically the sole reason for losing very winnable games.

PJ chose ND over Pitt, He chose BC over KP! He is now a Panther.....deal with it! Honestly I have no idea what purpose this thread serves! I am pro Pitt as much as anyone! H2P

Oh and this is contract year for PJ so don't be surprised if he had a good year n'@

Reactions: Parkview57
I don’t think he’s anything more than depth
I don’t get the fascination with a busted down qb
Because he’s a suburban western pa kid
anything more than depth? He's our starting qb. whether or not he's busted down, well that's up for debate. i think the odds are with you though, i hope not..

that quote was just head scratching, eye rolling, almost trolling comment to pitt fans.. just beyond ironic, almost comical.
My first reaction was kind of the same but maybe in retrospect the dude has some regrets. I don't know. I try not to read too much into this stuff because at the end of the day the kid came here because he thinks it's his last and best chance to get a shot in the league. Ideally all parties involved are satisfied with the outcome a year from now.

Reactions: PANTHERAN
My first reaction was kind of the same but maybe in retrospect the dude has some regrets. I don't know. I try not to read too much into this stuff because at the end of the day the kid came here because he thinks it's his last and best chance to get a shot in the league. Ideally all parties involved are satisfied with the outcome a year from now.
All that matters is how he performs in my mind. If he performs well and helps us win the ACC, the perceived disrespect he showed Pitt in the past will be forgiven if not forgotten.

PJ chose ND over Pitt, He chose BC over KP! He is now a Panther.....deal with it! Honestly I have no idea what purpose this thread serves! I am pro Pitt as much as anyone! H2P

Oh and this is contract year for PJ so don't be surprised if he had a good year n'@
Exactly. Root for whoever's behind the C on offense. And yes, I see PJ having a good/great year to boost his draft-ability. Think of him as an underpaid baseball free agent who wants to get the big $$

anything more than depth? He's our starting qb. whether or not he's busted down, well that's up for debate. i think the odds are with you though, i hope not..
If he’s anointed a starter without competing and winning the job -that is not a good thing for the season

But i’m with the OP-
Him talking about staying home and playing for Pitt- it’s hollow crap .
Just say you want to succeed in your final season , and leave the local hero shit for those who actually chose pitt from the Jump!

If he’s anointed a starter without competing and winning the job -that is not a good thing for the season

But i’m with the OP-
Him talking about staying home and playing for Pitt- it’s hollow crap .
Just say you want to succeed in your final season , and leave the local hero shit for those who actually chose pitt from the Jump!
well i dont disagree with any of this. the first sentence though, there isnt a competion, right or wrong. same as last year. He's the starter for 2023 as was Slovis last fall with zero competition.

well i dont disagree with any of this. the first sentence though, there isnt a competion, right or wrong. same as last year. He's the starter for 2023 as was Slovis last fall with zero competition.
I was thinking the same; Slovis was "anointed" QB1 from the start. The so-called competition between he and Patti was humorous at best.

I guess the best take on this whole thing is that:

1) the times, they are a'changing. Portal transfers rule the NCAA; in football and basketball, too. Perfect example is our Pitt BB team

2) highly regarded recruits still want to chase their dreams at name-recognized programs. Pitt, at the time of Jurk's sr. year in HS, was not that, and probably still isn't (Minchey, e.g.)

3) Jurk knew (when choosing BC as his first transfer) that he would not supplant KP at Pitt

4) full circle, Jurk gets reunited with OC FC Jr, and enters Pitt with virtually everything to gain and nothing to lose

Whether his comments about telling the would-be WPIAL recruits to now choose Pitt are hollow, are subjective. We win some recruits we lose some recruits. It seems now, though, that many of these former 4-star WPIAL players are coming home, and benefiting from playing for the Panthers.

Honestly? I'm just fine with getting the right players at the right time. If college athletics is about winning with the right combination of players, then long live the portal. I think our coaches (including those from volleyball and soccer) have seemed to have figured this one out just fine ...

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
to say it's anything else is a betrayal of the truth. jerk had three go rounds with his relationship with pitt. he spurned the university twice. his talking now-is a load of mouthwash. his handlers told him if he still holds out any, even feint hope to play at the next level-then go where you can. the PR spin in this case makes me nauseous.. what does pitt lose in letting a new arrival go through real game actionfor the future.

And business is not marriage. Sometimes you get spurned by a customer. They pick a different product. But then 2 years later that competitor's product doesn't work very well and they want to buy from you.

Are you going to be upset about it and hang up on them? Heck no. You smile, ignore that you weren't their first choice, and you get the deal done. And in the the end, both of you are happy.

Can't take this personally. We've had a lot of players not choose Pitt only to come back later and win games for us. Petrishen? Devonshire? You moved on with them because they played well. My guess is that - come August - you'll do the same for the QB.

And business is not marriage. Sometimes you get spurned by a customer. They pick a different product. But then 2 years later that competitor's product doesn't work very well and they want to buy from you.

Are you going to be upset about it and hang up on them? Heck no. You smile, ignore that you weren't their first choice, and you get the deal done. And in the the end, both of you are happy.

That's a great analogy, and made me think. I've never thought about it that way with football and recruiting, but I always do in business.

I don’t think he’s anything more than depth
I don’t get the fascination with a busted down qb
Because he’s a suburban western pa kid
He became the presumptive starter the minute he announced his transfer. He has one year to play and wants to have a shot at the NFL. This did not happen in a vacuum, I’m sure Cigs reached out to him and told him he all but has the starting job at Pitt. Whether he gets the job done or not is TBD. No doubt there is reason for skepticism. Count me among the skeptics.

That said, I think he’ll be better than what we had at QB in 2022.

I don’t like fakes.
His stay local and play at pitt schtick in the media is 100% phony .
That may be, but what’s he supposed to say?

As for competition, he has none or he wouldn’t have elected to take his last shot at Pitt. And who would he be competing with? We got nuthin’. I doubt the PSU kid is ready, and he may never be. Yarnell? I don’t think the coaches would have brought Jurk and Vellueiux In if they thought Yarndog was ready for the starting job.

Outside of Peterman, we haven’t had great luck with transfer QBs who weren’t starters when they transferred to Pitt. Jurik has at least been there, done that and with the same coach and playbook no less.

Now, that coach and his playbook are a topic for a different discussion….

There are some legitimate doubts on how QBs were handled last year. But there’s also no denying that Pitt went in the opposite order than the norm, bringing in a transfer QB and then bringing in the OC. And given what we saw, the QB in question clearly was not a good fit, and would not have been for basically any team (and with any OC) that did not have five star talent on the OL and at WR, which we certainly didn’t, and only a very select few ever do.

If there’s any valid criticism of Narduzzi or Cig, it was not pulling Slovis in the GT and Louisville games when his awful play was basically the sole reason for losing very winnable games.
You are certainly entitled too your opinion as am I. I guess we will have to see how this year goes for Slovis at BYU and a different OC. My money is on Slovis having a statistical better year then he did at Pitt.

The ND decision was the only time he “spurned” IMO. He was not going to come to Pitt while KP was the established starter and incumbent QB.
For 90% of local guys, ND is the left hand turn on the yellow brick road. It leads to nowhere.
I grew up in an Irish Catholic home and am practicing….but my parents were smart enough to raise 4 children who never aspired to go there….not close…3 of us had the grades but none of us liked anything about the place.
Thanks be to God.
I’ll take prodigal sons back anyday. I’m not a fan of pretentious people. Hence I’m not interested in ND.

You are certainly entitled too your opinion as am I. I guess we will have to see how this year goes for Slovis at BYU and a different OC. My money is on Slovis having a statistical better year then he did at Pitt.

Who cares what Slovis does statistically at BYU? It has no relevance on Pitt.

Reactions: FireballZ
I’ll grant that Cig has to show a more dynamic, modern result this season now that he has “his guy”.

W-L is ultimately what matters, and Pitt salvaged the past season with its run in the second half. The season was a success overall, and the offense seemed to improve somewhat. But nobody can factually say that the offense was impressive, definitely not the passing game, and this expressly cost the team three losses in mid season, two of which should have been easy wins.
That cast a shadow on the overall season.

As for next season… Injuries, bad defense, turnovers, bad luck etc can negate a good offense, and statistics can skew reality. But most fans will be able to watch the games, remember last season, and easily determine if there has been improvement or not. There had better be, or Cig should be jettisoned.

1. Crappy weather
2. The locals talk funny
3. 1/2 to 2/3 full stadium
4. Pro town/always 2nd fiddle to pro teams
5. Have not had a Heisman winner in near 40 years :)
Their team sucks even with him
Pitt is better so even if he’s no better / he’ll win more and maybe be a late round nfl draft pick

ADVERTISEMENT