ADVERTISEMENT

Jerry Palm updates his bowl picks

Chairman Moe

All Conference
Nov 4, 2003
Just around the corner from Paradise
Must've done this right after the PAC-12 Championship game. He has us playing ECU in the Fenway Bowl. What's he smoking?

Reactions: bwh05
We need Purdue to ride in and save the day for us. Kick Penn State down to the Orange and open that ReliaQuest bid up for the ACC. Otherwise, I see us dropping into the ranks of Military/Fenway purgatory.

Fenway, no way. He has the Louisville-Cincy matchup correct but been seeing on Twitter that they’ll meet in the Fenway bowl.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Brett McMurphy is always almost the first to report the bowl games so I stick with his predictions.

Palm is great when it comes to March madness bracketology.

But us in the Fenway is just lazy as Louisville and Cincy are already committed for that game

Reactions: dave97
McMurphy tweeted today that USC's loss knocks Notre Dame out of the Reliaquest and into the ACC Bowl Lineup - they will get one of Gator, Holiday, Cheezit. That leaves the other two for FSU and UNC/Clemson loser. Perhaps then bumps NCST to Mayo bowl and leaves Pitt and Duke competing for Sun. If we don't get Sun will probably drop to Military as Pinstripe seems set on Cuse.

Brett McMurphy is always almost the first to report the bowl games so I stick with his predictions.

Unfortunately, he moved NC State out of the Belk and into the Gator which bumps us out of the upper tier of bowl games and into the Sun. I mean, sure, the Gator would prefer to take NC State over us but NC State was there for the 2018 and 2020 seasons. Would they want to go back?

I was hoping this PSU to the Rose, ND to Tampa deal might get us the Holiday or Gator......but not if NC State wants it.

Reactions: Gondel
McMurphy tweeted today that USC's loss knocks Notre Dame out of the Reliaquest and into the ACC Bowl Lineup - they will get one of Gator, Holiday, Cheezit. That leaves the other two for FSU and UNC/Clemson loser. Perhaps then bumps NCST to Mayo bowl and leaves Pitt and Duke competing for Sun. If we don't get Sun will probably drop to Military as Pinstripe seems set on Cuse.
Yep, what I thought for two weeks

Unfortunately, he moved NC State out of the Belk and into the Gator which bumps us out of the upper tier of bowl games and into the Sun. I mean, sure, the Gator would prefer to take NC State over us but NC State was there for the 2018 and 2020 seasons. Would they want to go back?

I was hoping this PSU to the Rose, ND to Tampa deal might get us the Holiday or Gator......but not if NC State wants it.

It is no surprise that the six or seven thing parlay that we needed to hit to end up in the Gator did not hit.

The Athletic updated their bowl guesses this afternoon and has us in the Sun against UCLA.

Must've done this right after the PAC-12 Championship game. He has us playing ECU in the Fenway Bowl. What's he smoking?

He got past the new years day nowl
It's looking like the Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl vs UCLA, which is an improvement over the Brute Sun Bowl, but still. May the best script win.
They'rrrrrrrre great!

• Haha
Reactions: Brian Brush Fan
It is no surprise that the six or seven thing parlay that we needed to hit to end up in the Gator did not hit.

The Athletic updated their bowl guesses this afternoon and has us in the Sun against UCLA.

We basically need NC State to opt to take the Belk. They will be highly sought after but I didn't think they'd want Holiday and Gator again and neither did McMurphy but now maybe they do so El Paso or Annapolis it is.

We basically need NC State to opt to take the Belk. They will be highly sought after but I didn't think they'd want Holiday and Gator again and neither did McMurphy but now maybe they do so El Paso or Annapolis it is.

That isn't all we needed at all. I laid it out for you the other day.

But then again I can see how someone who is thinking that a school is going to willingly move down to a lower tier game rather than play in one of the better, higher profile bowl games just because could think the way that you do.

So I agree, it would have been helpful, not sufficient, but helpful, if NC State did something completely moronic.

Reactions: Las Panteras
That isn't all we needed at all. I laid it out for you the other day.

But then again I can see how someone who is thinking that a school is going to willingly move down to a lower tier game rather than play in one of the better, higher profile bowl games just because could think the way that you do.

So I agree, it would have been helpful, not sufficient, but helpful, if NC State did something completely moronic.

Is it really that moronic? They were in San Diego last year, Jacksonville the year before that and 2 years before that. And technically the Belk is the same tier as the Gator. NC State opting to play in the Belk in front of 40K-50K Pack fans seems like a very realistic idea, a bowl they haven't been to since 2015.

Last edited:
And technically the Belk is the same tier as the Gator

No, it isn't. The Gator, Holiday and Cheez-It are on the first level (after the Orange, obviously). The Mayo is on the next level down, as is evidenced by the fact that when Notre Dame gets an ACC bowl, like they will this year, it is guaranteed to be one of those three.

If that isn't enough for you, look at the payouts to the conference. The Hoilday, Cheez-It and Gator (in that order) are the three games that pay the conference the most. Do you think that they are paying more than the Mayo or the Sun but the Mayo and the Sun will get to pick the better teams?

The NC State Holiday Bowl was cancelled last year, right? So why wouldn't they take it this year?

Pitt isn't likely to get selected above any team that can be selected before Pitt. That's how it is unless the conference enforces picks.

Reactions: Pittnerski
No, it isn't. The Gator, Holiday and Cheez-It are on the first level (after the Orange, obviously). The Mayo is on the next level down, as is evidenced by the fact that when Notre Dame gets an ACC bowl, like they will this year, it is guaranteed to be one of those three.

No tiers. All but the bottom 2-3 have equal selection order. Bowls give a wishlist and teams give a wishlist.

No tiers. All but the bottom 2-3 have equal selection order. Bowls give a wishlist and teams give a wishlist.
Cmf, go back and look at Giglio last year. There are ‘tiers’ for which bowls fill first. A tier can reach down to any as long as within 1 win of any available though.

They don’t
There is absolutely a selection order

Not within the 1st tier. Every article says there's no order in the top tier. I dont feel like linking 10 articles. You can google it.

Orlando, Jax, SD, NYC, Charlotte, and El Paso make a wish list and teams are placed with regard to where the ACC teams want to go. The old Outback Bowl, I would assume chooses before these if PSU goes to the Rose.

Tampa -.ND

Tier 1
Orlando - FSU
Gator- NC State (if NC State chooses this, that would eff us up)
San Diego - UNC
Charlotte - Duke or Wake (UNC went last year and NC State may not want it)
El Paso - Pitt or Duke

Tier 2
Annapolis - Pitt/Duke/Wake

Reactions: Gep Dawg
I think its funny he still has Pitt in the Fenway Bowl in his final picks even after it was announced Louisville was going there as ACC rep.

Like the announcement came before he put out his final picks, like come on man!

Reactions: FireballZ
So the within one win rule is only for ND. The ACC and its bowl partners decide the rest with the teams. Although there is a unwritten rule that the an 8-4 team like say Pitt, Duke, or Wake will not fall down to a secondary tier bowl so say a 6-6 or 5-7 Miami can go to a first tier bowl game.

"Selection process: Selection committee chooses teams for Playoff and Orange Bowl. Without a ReliaQuest spot, the Cheez-It gets the first selection unless it involves Notre Dame, then there’s a pool of teams and the league and Notre Dame make the decision in conjunction. The Cheez-It picks first otherwise, followed by the Holiday and Gator, which have no specific selection order. The schools, bowls and league office coordinate other selections based on sequential order."

In other words, this is another one of those things that SMF is absolutely sure about that he is also absolutely wrong about.

Reactions: FireballZ
"Selection process: Selection committee chooses teams for Playoff and Orange Bowl. Without a ReliaQuest spot, the Cheez-It gets the first selection unless it involves Notre Dame, then there’s a pool of teams and the league and Notre Dame make the decision in conjunction. The Cheez-It picks first otherwise, followed by the Holiday and Gator, which have no specific selection order. The schools, bowls and league office coordinate other selections based on sequential order."

In other words, this is another one of those things that SMF is absolutely sure about that he is also absolutely wrong about.
Where did you get that text from? Because I am also "almost" certain that is not the official process any more. They claim they have 8 bowls and the bowls & conference work together to make the best placements. Beyond closed doors, there is certainly still a pecking order in terms of which bowls get what they want.

Follow Brett mcmurphy....he and his website are constantly breaking the bowl match-ups

Where did you get that text from? Because I am also "almost" certain that is not the official process any more. They claim they have 8 bowls and the bowls & conference work together to make the best placements. Beyond closed doors, there is certainly still a pecking order in terms of which bowls get what they want.

Correct. Joe got that from a fake news college football site.

The Athletic ran an article this week where they went through every conference and explained how their bowl selections work.

The notion that there is no pecking order for bowl picks might be something that conference tell people in the hopes that someone is dumb enough to believe it, but rest assured that there absolutely is a pecking order and the conference and the bowls all know exactly what that is before hand. The notion that the Military Bowl, that pays the ACC $2 million has the exact same rights to pick teams that the Sun Bowl, that pays the ACC $6.5 million, is nuts. And you'd have to be nuts to think that something like that could even possibly be true.

The Athletic ran an article this week where they went through every conference and explained how their bowl selections work.

The notion that there is no pecking order for bowl picks might be something that conference tell people in the hopes that someone is dumb enough to believe it, but rest assured that there absolutely is a pecking order and the conference and the bowls all know exactly what that is before hand. The notion that the Military Bowl, that pays the ACC $2 million has the exact same rights to pick teams that the Sun Bowl, that pays the ACC $6.5 million, is nuts. And you'd have to be nuts to think that something like that could even possibly be true.

The Athletic ran an article??? LOL. There's 100 other articles that state otherwise. Its equal selection order for that top tier. If FSU wanted the Pinstripe or Sun Bowl, that's where they'd go.

The Athletic ran an article??? LOL. There's 100 other articles that state otherwise. Its equal selection order for that top tier. If FSU wanted the Pinstripe or Sun Bowl, that's where they'd go.

Right. Why on earth would you believe the people who actually talked to the bowls and the conferences when you can believe something that you are just making up? Are you really dumb enough to think that the bowls that are paying the ACC $6 million plus per year are not getting preference over the bowls that are paying the ACC $2 million per year? What do you think they are getting for that extra $4 million per year if it isn't access to the better teams?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT