ADVERTISEMENT

jessica pegula

pitt90seven

All P I T T !
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2013
i was today years old that i learned she's a pitt grad. round of 16 at the US open. pretty cool.

and yes, she's the daughter of the rich nitter dude.

Last edited:
Wait, wtf, I had no idea about this. She’s what, borderline top 3 in the world? And she’s a Pitt grad?

Wikipedia

"Pegula played college tennis at the University of Pittsburgh where she competed in both singles and doubles. She earned Big East Women' Tennis Player of the Year in 2011 and 2012, the first player to win that award twice. As a sophomore, Pegula led the Panthers' women's tennis team to its first-ever Big East Conference championship, clinching the title in the deciding singles match in three sets. Pegula earned Big East All-Academic honors at Pitt four times and graduated with a degree in communications."

• Haha
Reactions: singregardless
You'd have to think that at some point Pitt would put her in the Hall of Fame. I wonder if it's just a matter of her schedule matching up with when the ceremony is. Or maybe she's pissed off that Pitt dropped tennis and wants nothing to do with the school?

• Haha
You'd have to think that at some point Pitt would put her in the Hall of Fame. I wonder if it's just a matter of her schedule matching up with when the ceremony is. Or maybe she's pissed off that Pitt dropped tennis and wants nothing to do with the school?

or celebrate her in any way whatsoever. she's been a pro like 8-ish years and i never knew she went to pitt. and i'm a tennis fan (not huge but enough that we should have been talking about her).

or celebrate her in any way whatsoever. she's been a pro like 8-ish years and i never knew she went to pitt. and i'm a tennis fan (not huge but enough that we should have been talking about her).

I didn't realize she was a Pitt grad either.

I'd blame Pitt for not publicizing this more if they still had a tennis team. I'm thinking it'd be somewhat awkward trying to honor someone whose team is no longer there, a decision I'm guessing she didn't support.

I didn't realize she was a Pitt grad either.

I'd blame Pitt for not publicizing this more if they still had a tennis team. I'm thinking it'd be somewhat awkward trying to honor someone whose team is no longer there, a decision I'm guessing she didn't support.

yeah now that would be awkward. but we still had a team when she was a pro. not a peep about it. weird.

Reactions: brdst11
Thats fake news. Jesse Pegula did NOT play tennis for Pitt. Not sure where that came from but its not true..

Wait, wtf, I had no idea about this. She’s what, borderline top 3 in the world? And she’s a Pitt grad?

i know, right?

According to the WTA official website, her sister Laura played Division I college tennis at the University of Pittsburgh

dog...come on...

• Haha
Now all that being said, she may have still gotten a degree from pitt ( that I do not know) . If so then yes Pitt should honor her some way some how and she better be donating some $$$ to NIL either way. 😀

Thats fake news. Jesse Pegula did NOT play tennis for Pitt. Not sure where that came from but its not true..

As someone who attended several Pitt tennis matches in this exact era (back when they played in Harmarville) - you are 100% correct.

Chick never played for Pitt in her life. Rich people lying about things so obviously false will never not be entertaining.

Or it could be that that entire story is pure fabrication. Either/or.

Maybe they forgot to add the Big East Player of the Year to every single roster from that time.

2010-2011 Roster
2011-2012 Roster

That’s somehow even funnier. Looks like the only citation on her Wikipedia page is to one of those aggregated AI-written websites. Good stuff.a

Also, the Pegula daughter who DID actually play tennis at Pitt - Laura - received a percentage of the Bills earlier this year, and appears to have the inside track to take over her dad’s ownership stake in the Bills and Sabres down the road. Laura graduated from Pitt with a Geology degree, and basically runs the day to day of the oil and gas business in Wexford that her dad made all of his money from.

Last edited:
As someone who went to games then, interacted with the players, & lived the reality - this is particularly entertaining:

"During her sophomore year, Pegula led the Pittsburgh Panthers women’s tennis team to its first-ever Big East championship in 2012. She played an instrumental role in the team’s victory, clinching the deciding match against Notre Dame in a dramatic three-set singles match. Pegula’s success at the college level earned her recognition and respect within the tennis community, paving the way for her future as a professional player."

Could be AI - I'm more convinced this is rich people playing themselves up with half-truths & a blending of different realities. Tale as old as time.

As someone who attended several Pitt tennis matches in this exact era (back when they played in Harmarville) - you are 100% correct.

Chick never played for Pitt in her life. Rich people lying about things so obviously false will never not be entertaining.

she falsified her olympic website profile?

and why would anyone lie about playing tennis at pitt? playing football at bama? sure, that makes sense. pitt tennis? a team that doesn't even exist anymore?

she falsified her olympic website profile?

and why would anyone lie about playing tennis at pitt? playing football at bama? sure, that makes sense. pitt tennis? a team that doesn't even exist anymore?

All that website says is that she attended Pitt. It says not word one about a single result of hers at Pitt.

If you had even the slightest bit of reading comprehension, latz already linked you article that said the following:

"Pegula’s family lived in Pittsburgh for years. Her sister played tennis at the University of Pittsburgh, and Jessica was set to follow her but decided to go pro."

As for why someone would lie about something so silly - you're asking the wrong person. I'm the one pointing out the falsehood - not asserting it.

Last edited:
As someone who went to games then, interacted with the players, & lived the reality - this is particularly entertaining:

"During her sophomore year, Pegula led the Pittsburgh Panthers women’s tennis team to its first-ever Big East championship in 2012. She played an instrumental role in the team’s victory, clinching the deciding match against Notre Dame in a dramatic three-set singles match. Pegula’s success at the college level earned her recognition and respect within the tennis community, paving the way for her future as a professional player."

Could be AI - I'm more convinced this is rich people playing themselves up with half-truths & a blending of different realities. Tale as old as time.
Because only rich people tell tales? Come on, man.

As far as Pegula, it’s hard to find info on NCAA tennis, but it appears from what I can see that Pitt never won any Big East Chanpionships in that era. So yeah the whole thing is bogus.

As far as Pegula, it’s hard to find info on NCAA tennis, but it appears from what I can see that Pitt never won any Big East Chanpionships in that era. So yeah the whole thing is bogus.

that one had me questioning things. not that i was an avid follower of pitt tennis. but i didn't remember us ever winning anything in tennis.

All that website says is that she attended Pitt. It says not word one about a single result of hers at Pitt.

If you had even the slightest bit of reading comprehension, latz already linked you article that said the following:

"Pegula’s family lived in Pittsburgh for years. Her sister played tennis at the University of Pittsburgh, and Jessica was set to follow her but decided to go pro."

As for why someone would lie about something so silly - you're asking the wrong person. I'm the one pointing out the falsehood - not asserting it.

i didn't read it. and calm down with your tone -this isn't a congressional hearing for god's sakes.

what I DID read now is that she was set to go to pitt but went pro. ok. then why does she list that she went to pitt? did she ever go to pitt? doesn't sound like it from the wpxi site. but her bio says she went to pitt. if she went to pitt, why didn't she play tennis? if even for one season? which is it - she went pro or she went to pitt?

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

It's not difficult to find info on NCAA tennis, at all. Even a defunct program like Pitt has extensive archives.

Of course they're not the only ones - no one claimed otherwise. This particular brand of tale telling is straight out of the USC water polo admissions playbook, though.

It's not difficult to find info on NCAA tennis, at all. Even a defunct program like Pitt has extensive archives.

Of course they're not the only ones - no one claimed otherwise. This particular brand of tale telling is straight out of the USC water polo admissions playbook, though.
That Wikipedia reference links to some shady storefront/website that is trying to imply that every well known athlete on earth is somehow endorsing the site lol. It pretty clearly has nothing to do with any of those athletes, including Pegula. But go on.

I think the whole thing is hilarious actually. Gee, what else am I reading on the internet that isnt true. LOL. Maybe she got her degree online (doubtful) or more likely someone updated her Wiki page as a joke or AI is just doing AI type things and creating stories where there isnt one and wiki is copying them. Ive seen it happen before. Working in the tech industry I've seen AI create some really bizarre content. As an avid follower /player of tennis, Im kind of sad Pitt doesnt have a team anymore but I can understand why. They could never compete in the ACC (or anywhere for that matter) with no on campus facility of any kind. Its a shame because college tennis is really growing in popularity. I live in NC which is a tennis hotbed and I support NC State tennis. The ACC tennis tournament is always a great event to attend each year. More and more players are finding college tennis a good option to develop their game before turning pro.

I think the whole thing is hilarious actually. Gee, what else am I reading on the internet that isnt true. LOL. Maybe she got her degree online (doubtful) or more likely someone updated her Wiki page as a joke or AI is just doing AI type things and creating stories where there isnt one and wiki is copying them. Ive seen it happen before. Working in the tech industry I've seen AI create some really bizarre content. As an avid follower /player of tennis, Im kind of sad Pitt doesnt have a team anymore but I can understand why. They could never compete in the ACC (or anywhere for that matter) with no on campus facility of any kind. Its a shame because college tennis is really growing in popularity. I live in NC which is a tennis hotbed and I support NC State tennis. The ACC tennis tournament is always a great event to attend each year. More and more players are finding college tennis a good option to develop their game before turning pro.
That's the interesting thing. She may not have gone to Pitt at all. I was totally duped during the Olympics when I looked her up and found her Wikipedia page. I didn't even think to check the source. I was also confused why there were no local news articles or press releases at the time touting her playing at Pitt. Thanks to this thread I finally figured out why. Meanwhile, it looks like someone here has updated the Wikipedia entry to remove all mention of Pitt.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
That's the interesting thing. She may not have gone to Pitt at all. I was totally duped during the Olympics when I looked her up and found her Wikipedia page. I didn't even think to check the source. I was also confused why there were no local news articles or press releases at the time touting her playing at Pitt. Thanks to this thread I finally figured out why. Meanwhile, it looks like someone here has updated the Wikipedia entry to remove all mention of Pitt.

but it's not just her wiki page. her official olympic page says she went to pitt. perhaps they just took it off wikipedia but you'd think there would be some vetting. even by her. wouldn't she want accurate information? the whole thing is odd.

Last edited:
Reactions: mlvnsmly
but it's not just her wiki page. her official olympic page says she went to pitt. perhaps they just took it off wikipedia but you'd think there would be some vetting. even by her. wouldn't she want accurate information? the whole thing is odd.

On the football board SMF linked an article from Forbes that also says she went to Pitt.

She could have attended Pitt and not played tennis. Her sister is the one who played tennis for Pitt.

She could have attended Pitt and not played tennis. Her sister is the one who played tennis for Pitt.

The Forbes article says:

"Pegula was a decorated college player during her time at the University of Pittsburgh and played in her first major tournament as a member of a doubles team at the U.S. Open in 2011."

The Forbes article says:

"Pegula was a decorated college player during her time at the University of Pittsburgh and played in her first major tournament as a member of a doubles team at the U.S. Open in 2011."
I think what this indicates is mostly that a shocking number of publications do most of their background research on Wikipedia, without too much independent research beyond that, or seeking any confirmation that what is on the wiki page is actually accurate.

I think what this indicates is mostly that a shocking number of publications do most of their background research on Wikipedia, without too much independent research beyond that, or seeking any confirmation that what is on the wiki page is actually accurate.

yep. if she went pro out of HS, there's zero chance she want to any college. and if she did, pitt would be very low on the list of options.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT