ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Lunardi starting to take notice of Pitt...

Today: In

Lose at Syracuse?: Out

Cant believe what these kids have done so far.
If the season goes as most of us now think, which is always have a chance to win or lose, we will be flirting with the bubble all year. Let's see where we stand in a month or so. Early Bracket Projections drive me nuts because so much can happen to so many teams.

If we had only beat the Niagara Falls kids, the Hawkyeyes, and the sinking Hoopies? Wow.

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Reactions: Chaos
The key will be to win some road games. We're 0-3 right now. We'll quickly fall out of contention if we can't win a few on the road.

Hypothetically, if Pitt played those three teams this week do we go 3-0??

Since Pitt was projected to be so bad, maybe the committee ( if we get the chance to be a bubble team) will see the growth the team has made & look past the bad WVU & horrible Niagara losses.

Since Pitt was projected to be so bad, maybe the committee ( if we get the chance to be a bubble team) will see the growth the team has made & look past the bad WVU & horrible Niagara losses.

Niagara was a bad loss, WVU with Konate doesn't seem that bad to me.....I think they weigh early losses less particularly with such a young team.....the reality is as of today we can make the tournament, we control our own destiny.....we can't miss because of these 2 games, we can miss because we don't come up with wins from here on out

Niagara was a bad loss, WVU with Konate doesn't seem that bad to me.....I think they weigh early losses less particularly with such a young team.....the reality is as of today we can make the tournament, we control our own destiny.....we can't miss because of these 2 games, we can miss because we don't come up with wins from here on out

True. Gotta get to a minimum of 8 ACC wins for a NCAAT chance. Prob 7 minimum for NIT or possibly 6 with a couple of really good wins (Duke, UVA) & no terrible losses (BC, Wake) in conference.

If you dreamers seriously want to entertain NCAAT talk , Pitt has to win on the road. It's that simple. Run the tape, tomorrow is pretty much a must win barring an epic run in the ACCT. I'll be happy with continued progress and I'll giggle at an NIT bid.

If you dreamers seriously want to entertain NCAAT talk , Pitt has to win on the road. It's that simple. Run the tape, tomorrow is pretty much a must win barring an epic run in the ACCT. I'll be happy with continued progress and I'll giggle at an NIT bid.
Today is not a must win, very few are. The easiest part of our schedule starts with SU at home on 2/2. If we are 4-5 after that game, we are in great shape!

They came back today when last year's team would have ran away into the corner. They're going to win their share of games this year. Not many on the road, if any. But if we can get to 4 ACC total, and maybe steal a win in the ACCT, that's huge progress. And if you look at how competitive they are in most every game and their attitudes, that's all any reasonable Pitt fan can ask for this year.

NCAAT talk is foolish at this point. We'd have to get to at least 9 ACC wins and a couple of wins in the ACCT to get an NCAA bid. 7 more wins in the ACC isn't happening this year. Just enjoy how these kids play and watch them develop.

They came back today when last year's team would have ran away into the corner. They're going to win their share of games this year. Not many on the road, if any. But if we can get to 4 ACC total, and maybe steal a win in the ACCT, that's huge progress. And if you look at how competitive they are in most every game and their attitudes, that's all any reasonable Pitt fan can ask for this year.

NCAAT talk is foolish at this point. We'd have to get to at least 9 ACC wins and a couple of wins in the ACCT to get an NCAA bid. 7 more wins in the ACC isn't happening this year. Just enjoy how these kids play and watch them develop.
I still think this team can win 5 more ACC games looking at who is on their schedule and finish 7-11 in the conference. They play Syracuse at home, Clemson twice home and away , Louisville, Wake BC GT, and Miami on the road and Notre Dame at home. I think all of those games are toss ups and can go either way of a win or a loss. Plus, I could see us pulling an upset at home at the Pete against either NC State or Virginia Tech as well No reason to think we couldn’t win 5 more games out of all of those it’s not impossible.

Last edited:
I still think this team can win 5 more ACC games looking at who is on their schedule and finish 7-11 in the conference. They play Syracuse at home, Clemson twice home and away , Louisville, Wake BC GT, and Miami on the road and Notre Dame at home. No reason to think we couldn’t win 5 more games out of all of those it’s not impossible.

I think all of that is possible. But of all of those games, I think beating Clemson at home, Wake, and BC are good bets. Maybe even ND at home as the final home game. That 4 wins I predicted may get to 5 or 6. But getting to the necessary 9 ACC wins will be tough this year. It's very hard to win a road game in the ACC, especially for a young team.

Next year is a totally different story, however.

I think all of that is possible. But of all of those games, I think beating Clemson at home, Wake, and BC are good bets. Maybe even ND at home as the final home game. That 4 wins I predicted may get to 5 or 6. But getting to the necessary 9 ACC wins will be tough this year. It's very hard to win a road game in the ACC, especially for a young team.

I agree with all that so let’s see how it all plays out. If they somehow could get to 7 or even 8 wins and pull another upset along the way and get to 18-13 overall going into the ACC tournament with a decent NET Ranking that could be good enough to at least get them on the bubble. It probably won’t happen but I won’t torally rule it out.

Why is it after every win u got the ppl saying were a possible tourney team then when they lose we got the ppl like this who say oh just be happy with the progress these young men are making and if we get a couple more wins then we should be thrilled.. Shut the hell up man.. If your happy with 4 conference wins then go root for bc.. These freshman are awesome and I'm still expecting 6+ conference wins like I thought before conference play started. So tired of these way over the top ppl in each direction

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
Why is it after every win u got the ppl saying were a possible tourney team then when they lose we got the ppl like this who say oh just be happy with the progress these young men are making and if we get a couple more wins then we should be thrilled.. Shut the hell up man.. If your happy with 4 conference wins then go root for bc.. These freshman are awesome and I'm still expecting 6+ conference wins like I thought before conference play started. So tired of these way over the top ppl in each direction
Yea this team is going to win more then 2 or 3 more games in the ACC these last 13 games they have remaining, and definitely should surpass the 4 or 5 wins total in the conference a lot of people are predicting. These freshmen are too good and as I mentioned before this schedule Pitt has remaining while there are some very tough games left at the same time their are about 7 or 8 of the remaining 13 games left that are very very winnable. If they don’t win at least 6 games I will be very very surprised I think it’s a safe bet it can and will happen. Pitt’s chances I think of playing in the NIT at least will be pretty good.

I still think this team can win 5 more ACC games looking at who is on their schedule and finish 7-11 in the conference. They play Syracuse at home, Clemson twice home and away , Louisville, Wake BC GT, and Miami on the road and Notre Dame at home. No reason to think we couldn’t win 5 more games out of all of those it’s not impossible.

I don’t know- Pitt has the look of a middle of the pack ACC team - which puts them right in the mix to be firmly on the bubble.

In many ways their schedule sets up nicely for a bid. They have some pretty winnable home games against NCAA teams—- Cuse, NC st, Va Tech ; plus likely non NCAA teams in Clemson and ND. 6-3 at home doesn’t seem crazy to me. Then your talking about 2 or 3 road wins against the likes of Clemson, Wake, BC, Ga Tech, Miami to be right there.

Only Duke, UVA and maybe Louisville seem really unlikely wins right now.

Even at 8-10, the ACC tournament will have possibilities as to playing into the NCAAs.

I’m not calling this season remotely a failure if they miss the NCAAs by any stretch- but it’s not crazy to root for it and be mildly disappointed if they can’t win at least 8 league games before the ACC tournament.

I put some more thought into this, and I think the ACC can be broken down into 4 buckets this year.

Tier 1- Really Good Teams- Teams like UVA and Duke who will be obvious tournment shoe ins (probably number 1 seeds) in the tournament and only lose a few games all year
Tier 2- Upper Middle of the Pack- Teams that will make the tournament (UNC, probably Louisville and Syracuse).
Tier 3- Lower middle of the Pack- Teams with flaws that at best would be bubble teams in the tournament, but have the talent to pull an upset over a tier 2 team. Tier 1 teams will be really really tough for them.
Tier 4- Teams that arent that great and even the middle of the pack teams give them a difficult time. While there are not many in the ACC examples are BC and Wake Forest (yes they beat NC State, but they just dont look good to me).

IMO Pitt is in that Tier 3 right now, but potentially one of the better Tier 3 teams. If they want to make the tournament they will have to clean up business against the other T3 and T4 teams (Clemson, Miami, WF, ND). While this is acheivable, every team in this conference slips up some and it will be difficult for Pitt to win all those games. They also need to try to pull another upset like Louisville on the road, Syracuse at home. Win a game in the ACC tournament, you may be talking bubble (which would be a great accomplishment for this team!) Pitt has already beaten and will beat some more NCAA tournament teams, but things will really have to go in their favor to get to the dance this year (that is not even factoring potential fatigue of the freshman later in the year).

Hey jackass, I've never said Pitt is an NCAA tournament team, even after a win. You need better reading comprehension skills. That's being said by others, not me. I'm being realistic, unlike you. From the very beginning, I've said enjoy the ride and enjoy watching these kids get better and better all year long. And that's what they're doing. Whether we get 4 ACC wins or 6 or 8, doesn't matter at this point. They've improved a lot. But after the last 2 years, just showing up is an improvement. The wins will take care of themselves.

LOL!! Fans like you telling me what to do make me laugh. When you're a fan as long as I've been a Pitt fan, you've seen clowns like you come and go. Yet I'm still here. And someone like you has the balls to criticize a poster for being optimistic and realistic? LOL! Nothing you said has validity and you have no credibility.

Hey jackass, I've never said Pitt is an NCAA tournament team, even after a win. You need better reading comprehension skills. That's being said by others, not me. I'm being realistic, unlike you. From the very beginning, I've said enjoy the ride and enjoy watching these kids get better and better all year long. And that's what they're doing. Whether we get 4 ACC wins or 6 or 8, doesn't matter at this point. They've improved a lot. But after the last 2 years, just showing up is an improvement. The wins will take care of themselves.

LOL!! Fans like you telling me what to do make me laugh. When you're a fan as long as I've been a Pitt fan, you've seen clowns like you come and go. Yet I'm still here. And someone like you has the balls to criticize a poster for being optimistic and realistic? LOL! Nothing you said has validity and you have no credibility.
4 conference wins is really being optimistic lol.. Like I said go root for BC if thats your standard numnuts

4 conference wins is really being optimistic lol.. Like I said go root for BC if thats your standard numnuts

I see we have stupidity here. You really need to learn how to read and understand what you're reading. Or maybe I'm being presumptuous (I know, that's a big word for someone like you). Maybe you're only 6 or 7. Sorry if that's the case. You'll learn to read and write someday. You have none of those skills, obviously.

I think it's time for YOU to go root for another team. Pitt doesn't need fans like you. Time to add another moron to the Ignore list.

I see we have stupidity here. You really need to learn how to read and understand what you're reading. Or maybe I'm being presumptuous (I know, that's a big word for someone like you). Maybe you're only 6 or 7. Sorry if that's the case. You'll learn to read and write someday. You have none of those skills, obviously.

I think it's time for YOU to go root for another team. Pitt doesn't need fans like you. Time to add another moron to the Ignore list.
That's right. Dance my little puppet :)

Pitt's NET rank didnt move after that Syracuse loss and heck, may go up against Duke. We are still right there on the bubble. 8-10 could even get us in depending on who those wins are against.

Pitt's NET rank didnt move after that Syracuse loss and heck, may go up against Duke. We are still right there on the bubble. 8-10 could even get us in depending on who those wins are against.
They are currently at 55 now their NET. 8 wins in this league is still possible for this team I believe. Two games against Clemson, home games with Syracuse and Notre Dame, tough home games against ranked teams such as NC State and Virginia Tech where I think Pitt could definitely pull an upset at the Pete against one of these teams. And road games at Louisville Wake,Georgia Tech, BC and Miami. Not impossible to think Pitt couldn’t go 5-6 or even 6-5 in those 11 games I just mentioned which would get them to either 7 or 8 wins in the Conference and 17 or 18 overall. So they definitely still will have a shot I think of making their case to get in if they can win some of the games they should win that I listed above.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT