ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Starkey: This is a landmark moment for Pitt football

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
Last edited:
I recommend checking out this article by Starkey in the (gasp) Post-Gazette discussing what’s at stake in the Tennessee game this Saturday. Pretty good publicity for the team and should help build excitement around the team in the city.

As he puts it, “In real terms, the stakes are these: The Panthers will either disappear from the national scene for at least a month (and need to win every game to re-enter) or begin a march toward the top 10.”

Well, he is of course correct. This is a big game in that regards. I would think we move from 14 to close to the top 10 if we win, since we will have wins over 2 P5 teams.

I mean, but overall it means no more than the game the following week against Western Michigan. In a lot of ways, that was a far more insurmountable loss last year to overcome as far as the polls go.

I agree that it is big, but at the same time a loss doesn't destroy the season.
It doesn't but Starkey is correct. A win means a 6-0 start, maybe 11-0. CFP rankings, dreams of a NC, etc. The "dream" part is big. Even though we know we aren't making the CFP or winning a NC, to dream of that is almost as good. Its like playing the powerball. You know you aren't going to win but that $2 lets you dream. Pitt fans haven't been able to do that.

Reactions: H2P-2007
If we lose a tight game, we will still be in the Top 25 and if we win, we could be in the top 10 as early as Monday albeit unlikely.

But yeah, this is a rare big game and this one is bigger than most, although the ACC championship and Miami games were bigger last year.

This is a big game for sure. National implications with ranking and perception. Always important when facing an SEC team, darlings of college football. It is not a must win, and has no impact on the ACC, but if Pitt wants to take that next step, a win at home is what is expected from the program and its fans. A win builds ranking, a loss sets them back nationally. Pitt needs this, especially after beating them on the road last year.

Reactions: USN_Panther
Doesnt destroy but it tempers it considerably.
We havent had an opp like this in 35 years. Win and it lays the groundwork for a year we havent seen since the firts part of the 80's. It could make last year look incredibly small
We've had opponents like this very recently. I mean if we go this route, literally every game this season is a must win and a loss will kill us.

Major game for the team this year, we hear all the time about the ACC being weak and how our schedule is not very strong. Winning a game like this will show everyone that although our schedule is not that great, we still won both the nonconference games against P5 opponents, and it will help us greatly in the terms of top 25 rankings. A loss doesn't completely derail the season, but boy, does our resume look a lot better with a win

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
It doesn't but Starkey is correct. A win means a 6-0 start, maybe 11-0. CFP rankings, dreams of a NC, etc. The "dream" part is big. Even though we know we aren't making the CFP or winning a NC, to dream of that is almost as good. Its like playing the powerball. You know you aren't going to win but that $2 lets you dream. Pitt fans haven't been able to do that.
Pitt's chances for the CFP just went up. SMF just said "we aren't making the CFP..."

YAY! Thanks, bruh!

I recommend checking out this article by Starkey in the (gasp) Post-Gazette discussing what’s at stake in the Tennessee game this Saturday. Pretty good publicity for the team and should help build excitement around the team in the city.

As he puts it, “In real terms, the stakes are these: The Panthers will either disappear from the national scene for at least a month (and need to win every game to re-enter) or begin a march toward the top 10.”
The setup article that will dovetail nicely with the "Pitt Blew a Chance for National Relevancy" article that will come with a loss. PG drops one of these every time Pitt goes on a roll. Swear they have a template the just edit.

For those who experienced the 1976-1983 elite play, we know that at such a level EVERY game is a “must win.” It is simply the burden of elite success. UT is a BIG GAME. But so is every other game on Pitt’s schedule.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveTrout

Excellent article.

For those who experienced the 1976-1983 elite success, we know that EVERY game is a “must win.” Just the burdens of elite success. UT is a BIG GAME. And so is every other game on Pitt’s schedule.

That's exactly the way it was back then. EVERY game was a MUST WIN because we were on a mission beyond the individual games. We really haven't had this situation since the early 80's. I hope it won't be short-lived.

The setup article that will dovetail nicely with the "Pitt Blew a Chance for National Relevancy" article that will come with a loss. PG drops one of these every time Pitt goes on a roll. Swear they have a template the just edit.

I mean Starkey was on the FAN all week leading up to the WVU game saying the same thing. Unless Pitt goes undefeated, we are going to hear this every week. And the second we lose a game there will be the "SAME OLE PITT" people have been waiting to unleash.

I mean Starkey was on the FAN all week leading up to the WVU game saying the same thing. Unless Pitt goes undefeated, we are going to hear this every week. And the second we lose a game there will be the "SAME OLE PITT" people have been waiting to unleash.
Yeah that's why I won't be so crushed if we lose. Those people are predictable so it doesn't sting anymore. I know the national title will be a champ like Georgia or Alabama. Fine. What I'd like to see is Pitt continuing to win its division and play in conference championship games. Make an expanded playoff sometime. Totally reasonable goals for a stable program that I plan to live to see.

Spot on article. This game is huge. Win and Pitt will start to creep into the CFP conversation as a dark horse. Lose and we'll fall either completely out of the top 25 or near the bottom. The season doesn't end with a loss, but any talk of national relevance does. Carpe diem baby.

Cruzer

Reactions: HailToPitt725
It's college football. Every game is a "must win" but Tennessee isn't exactly a trash team. Yes, a bad loss deserves ridicule but if it's a close game, it's not exactly a tragedy.

It's college football. Every game is a "must win" but Tennessee isn't exactly a trash team. Yes, a bad loss deserves ridicule but if it's a close game, it's not exactly a tragedy.

Technically, no game is a "must win". The sun will still come up tomorrow (sometimes in Pittsburgh you have to wonder if it will) and everyone will still be alive, God willing, and the world will not end. But just in terms of the small world of college football, this Tenn. game is a must win for Pitt. It hasn't been this way since the early 80's.

I don't think Pitt has any claim on national relevance unless they could actually make a playoff and go toe to toe with an Alabama or Georgia.

Even if they were to finish the regular season undefeated, I don't think they belong in that conversation.

Pitt struggled to get a win against WVU & they are 7 pt home dogs to a decent Tennessee team. I think they need to pump the brakes on the "national relevance" talk.

Reactions: PleasantonPanther
I don't think Pitt has any claim on national relevance unless they could actually make a playoff and go toe to toe with an Alabama or Georgia.

Even if they were to finish the regular season undefeated, I don't think they belong in that conversation.

Pitt struggled to get a win against WVU & they are 7 pt home dogs to a decent Tennessee team. I think they need to pump the brakes on the "national relevance" talk.
That’s a fair point, although I think there are different types of national relevancy. I consider teams like Utah and Oklahoma State nationally relevant because they are typically ranked in the top half of the top 25 and find a way to get themselves in the CFP discussion. However, I don’t think any of them will win a national championship in the next three years. I think we can definitely get on that Utah/OK State platform, which in my opinion is the next step for the program. We won’t be true contenders until we can create a roster that’s in the same ballpark as the top contendeds when it comes to their “blue chip ratio”.

meh, who cares? Even if they win, they'll write something else next week. Everything's a 'landmark' for Pitt to these local ding dongs. They had enough 'landmark' moments (plus wvu) for me last year.

Part of the urgency is the enormous potential upheaval of college football that is at its cusp right now. Things are moving (or have the potential to) pretty quickly. Who’s to say that even the current situation won’t be drastically different in as soon as another year? With the new playoff agreement, it probably delays a sea change out at least past 2024 now, but even the rumors of pending conference raids could have harsh impacts on those schools fearing to be left behind, which currently includes us. Even if some major deal leaks that won’t take effect for multiple years, it could be enough to render have-not programs as lame ducks. So this is an opportunity to strike while we are still relevant enough to do so.

I agree that it is big, but at the same time a loss doesn't destroy the season.
True that a loss would not destroy the season, but Pitt should be focused on reaching the ACC Championship again but with a record that can get into the Playoffs. A loss to Tennessee would hamper that unless the Vols manage to win at least the SEC East.

This is a bigger OOC game than beating WVU because the SEC is the SEC.

Reactions: The Ole Six-Fiver
We've had opponents like this very recently. I mean if we go this route, literally every game this season is a must win and a loss will kill us.
Where did we have a chance to go into the top 10 in the SECOND game of the year. Show me which schedule and opponent is the same as thos scenario

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
Doesnt destroy but it tempers it considerably.
We havent had an opp like this in 35 years. Win and it lays the groundwork for a year we havent seen since the firts part of the 80's. It could make last year look incredibly small
Yes. This is definitely a big opportunity game for PItt. The two opening games this year against P5 opponents is something that not many (any?) other P5 teams in the country are risking. But the rewards for Pitt could be outstanding.

I believe that the PItt players and coaches know this very well. Now they’ve got to go out, execute, and get it done.

I don’t think it does either. If we win we move up only dependent on what others have done. People will spout the argument that UT isn’t that great of an SEC school so it wasn’t a big win. Maybe we hit around 14 or 13 with a win. Still outside of the conversation until something negative happens to Clemson.

If we lose we will still be in Top 25 and then will do the climb back up just like last year.

Ok, but there weren’t real expectations and possibility that we could run the table those years.

You get past this game and a road to 11-0 heading towards the Miami game is more than a pipedream

Reactions: ChadrickB
Where did we have a chance to go into the top 10 in the SECOND game of the year. Show me which schedule and opponent is the same as thos scenario
Yep, this isn’t the same. The last time we had this chance was 2003 which we blew miserably

Reactions: caleco's
Why? Lots of schools are pretty good but never come that close to the CFP or even a conference championship and we get told constantly that they're nationally relevant. Miami comes to mind.

Reactions: Ski11585
You didn't say the second game of the season. You said the past 35 years.

That’s a fair point, although I think there are different types of national relevancy. I consider teams like Utah and Oklahoma State nationally relevant because they are typically ranked in the top half of the top 25 and find a way to get themselves in the CFP discussion. However, I don’t think any of them will win a national championship in the next three years. I think we can definitely get on that Utah/OK State platform, which in my opinion is the next step for the program. We won’t be true contenders until we can create a roster that’s in the same ballpark as the top contendeds when it comes to their “blue chip ratio”.
I hear ya. I think even with a loss Saturday, they can still be in that conversation.

Exactly. Lots of things have come together at this precise moment, and they may not do so again very soon, if ever. The entire OL deciding to come back intact; the retention of most of our top DL; fairly decent experience in the secondary; getting Slovis to transfer (while maintaining Patti in the fold) to fill the Pickett void; the return of all of our key RB; good young TE; and managing to snag Mumpfield and Means to replace Addison; all while losing only Whipple and Marion of note among our coaches…along with a couple impressive opponents to start the season (IF we can win them) while getting a preseason ranking… the program needs to take advantage of all this because most years these things don’t coincide.

Reactions: CrazyPaco
Why? Lots of schools are pretty good but never come that close to the CFP or even a conference championship and we get told constantly that they're nationally relevant. Miami comes to mind.
I don't think Miami has been nationality relevant since around 2002. I think they get mentioned because their program has the potential to be up there among the elite.

I guess it just depends on what teams you consider nationally relevant. That's very subjective. Right now, I think Pitt is as relevant as programs like Utah, Baylor, OKST, & Oregon.

I don't know. I'm an in the moment person when it comes to these things. I would say teams like Clemson & Oklahoma are only borderline when it comes to national relevance, and LSU, champs from 2019, out of the conversation for now.

Reactions: ChadrickB
True that a loss would not destroy the season, but Pitt should be focused on reaching the ACC Championship again but with a record that can get into the Playoffs. A loss to Tennessee would hamper that unless the Vols manage to win at least the SEC East.

This is a bigger OOC game than beating WVU because the SEC is the SEC.
The SEC was the SEC last year when Pitt beat Tennessee.

Regardless, the one thing Pitt could not afford was to go 0-2 out of the gate. A win Saturday would still be huge though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT