ADVERTISEMENT

Joe starkey

We all know the PG is in the tank, but his article was also not wrong.
This article is more about Narduzzi first and the Pitt program second. You are also right, it's not wrong and we all want Pitt to win more than 7 games and escape mediocrity.
Another stupid article from him. Yet he never criticizes the Buccos, even after the disgrace yesterday. The Fan is all about root root root for the Pirates
Five of his 12 columns this month have criticized the Pirates.

Starkey though will be told Pitt lacks the NIL money and loses players and his rebuttal always is, "So what, find someone else then."

Yeah, it's that easy to.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Another stupid article from him. Yet he never criticizes the Buccos, even after the disgrace yesterday. The Fan is all about root root root for the Pirates
Oh man, Slick. We often agree but on this one I strongly disagree. I listen to his show everyday and he is extremely tough on the Pirates. Extremely tough! He’s like any fan, as there are extreme highs and there are extreme lows. His interviews with Shelty have been contentious and uncomfortable at times, especially lately. And right now he’s been spending the entire week talking about how Shelty’s job is in jeopardy.

His job is to call it like he sees it, and let’s be honest, in Pittsburgh sports there’s a lot to criticize right now. Pitt fans just don’t like hearing objective criticism. Yet, we shouldn’t feel slighted, as the Pirates, Steelers and Penguins get their fair share and plenty of it.

His job is to call it like he sees it, and let’s be honest, in Pittsburgh sports there’s a lot to criticize right now. Pitt fans just don’t like hearing objective criticism. Yet, we shouldn’t feel slighted, as the Pirates, Steelers and Penguins get their fair share and plenty of it.
True. This morning the Fan was all anti-Steelers. Specifically anti-Omar Khan for not pulling off a trade for Aiyuk. They acted as if Omar totally screwed that up without considering for a second that San Fran may have been asking for too much in return. They apparently have no idea that it takes too willing participants to make a trade.

I didn’t read the article but I have to guess it mirrors what he’s been saying on the show, which has been “I’ve often been complimentary and supportive of Narduzzi, but are we supposed to consider a 7 win season in year 10 a success?”

Now, that might be a bit of a straw man argument because I don’t know anyone who would be happy with 7-5. But he’s not wrong to be critical.

True. This morning the Fan was all anti-Steelers. Specifically anti-Omar Khan for not pulling off a trade for Aiyuk. They acted as if Omar totally screwed that up without considering for a second that San Fran may have been asking for too much in return. They apparently have no idea that it takes too willing participants to make a trade.
And I bet there are a few steeler fans with a soft spine who are mad that they said anything negative about their dear Steelers.

Reactions: BTisinDC
And I bet there are a few steeler fans with a soft spine who are mad that they said anything negative about their dear Steelers.
i dont know fk, i hear alot of negativity from steelers fans, die hard steelers fans. not only on ayiuk but the whole roster, the debacle that is the OL, injuries, etc..

there will always be the eternal optimists but this is the most negative i've seen steeler fans as a whole, before the season starts than i ever remember..

i dont know fk, i hear alot of negativity from steelers fans, die hard steelers fans. not only on ayiuk but the whole roster, the debacle that is the OL, injuries, etc..

there will always be the eternal optimists but this is the most negative i've seen steeler fans as a whole, before the season starts than i ever remember..
And this board is full of criticism of Pitt football too. It doesn’t stop some for attacking anyone who has the gall to call balls and strikes.

I didn’t read the article but I have to guess it mirrors what he’s been saying on the show, which has been “I’ve often been complimentary and supportive of Narduzzi, but are we supposed to consider a 7 win season in year 10 a success?”

Now, that might be a bit of a straw man argument because I don’t know anyone who would be happy with 7-5. But he’s not wrong to be critical.
with this roster, i'd be happy with a 7-5 record. new offense, new OC, freshman QB, fbs player starting at RB, lost our two best DEs and our best Linebacker to the portal..

7-5 would be fantastic.

Last edited:
most steelers fans share this opinion. national guys on espn are saying it, its going to be a long fall.

with this roster, i'd be happy with a 7-5 record. new offense, new OC, freshman QB, fbs starting RB, lost our two best DEs and our best Linebacker to the portal..

7-5 would be fantastic.
I think the point is, expectations are lowered to where some will consider 7 wins a success.

But it is absolutely fair to criticize Duzz when we have “this roster” in year 10. So I’m not offended.

Well, he did screw up the WR position by not finding someone more serviceable than a kick returner to run out there as a #2 next weekend. It's been pretty evident for a while now that Aiyuk was way too expensive (draft picks and salary) and if San Fran was really asking too much, they did Omar a favor.

I think the point is, expectations are lowered to where some will consider 7 wins a success.

But it is absolutely fair to criticize Duzz when we have “this roster” in year 10. So I’m not offended.
i take it year by year. i dont think it's a thing where you expect a team to be better every year just because the HC comes back, that logic makes no sense. Especially with how college football is with the constant roster turnover with the transfer portal.

my hopes is with the new offensive coaching staff and offensive system rehaul, this is a one step back, two steps forward process. yes, our skill players, way too many of them are fcs caliber football players but IF the system works, then you recruit D1 talent to play in it and it succeeds. obviously you cant have desmond reid caliber players starting at RB year to year and expect to win at this level..

Last edited:
i take it year by year. i dont think it's a thing where you expect a team to be better every year just because the HC comes back, that logic makes no sense. Especially with how college football is with the constant roster turnover with the transfer portal.

my hopes is with the new offensive coaching staff and offensive system rehaul, this is a one step back, two steps forward process. yes, our skill players, way too many of them are fbs caliber football players but IF the system works, then you recruit D1 talent to play in it and it succeeds. obviously you cant have desmond reid caliber players starting at RB year to year and expect to win at this level..
“i take it year by year. i dont think it's a thing where you expect a team to be better every year just because the HC comes back, that logic makes no sense. Especially with how college football is with the constant roster turnover with the transfer portal.”

I completely agree with this. You can’t just assume “Year 10, you HAVE to be better”. The whole world of college athletics is different now, and Pitt is not rolling in money. If we were pre-NIL transfer whenever you want, it’s a more legitimate argument.

Oh man, Slick. We often agree but on this one I strongly disagree. I listen to his show everyday and he is extremely tough on the Pirates. Extremely tough! He’s like any fan, as there are extreme highs and there are extreme lows. His interviews with Shelty have been contentious and uncomfortable at times, especially lately. And right now he’s been spending the entire week talking about how Shelty’s job is in jeopardy.

I don't listen so I guess I should have held back on my opinion. Starkey has been consistent in his view that Pitt should be better than 7-5 and the constant run of mediocrity is getting tiresome. He can just be unnecessarily snarky about presenting it.

Yeah, it’s fair for sure. We got here in large part due to a terrible OC hire that now he has hopefully corrected.

I was say this, I disliked starlet’s takes on Pitt after the article he wrote about Todd graham’s year calling it an F. This was before he left btw.

Yeah, it’s fair for sure. We got here in large part due to a terrible OC hire that now he has hopefully corrected.

I was say this, I disliked starlet’s takes on Pitt after the article he wrote about Todd graham’s year calling it an F. This was before he left btw.
That one hire could have set us back forever. We had the wind at our backs. It’s a shame.

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
Well that settles it for me, sure proof that he is a "shill" for the buccos.
I’d like to see actual proof that he is a shill. He’s critical more than he’s not. And thats because they lose more often than not. They’re mostly a laughing stock and he’s often one who’s laughing at them.

I’d like to see actual proof that he is a shill. He’s critical more than he’s not
Agreed, I was a little tongue-in -cheek.......trying to come up with 7 positive articles about the Pirates in the last month would have been near impossible for me.

I’d like to see actual proof that he is a shill. He’s critical more than he’s not. And thats because they lose more often than not. They’re mostly a laughing stock and he’s often one who’s laughing at them.
starkey bashes the pirates daily. im with you FK, i listen alot and he is basically past even bashing them and now it's just more mocking than anything..

starkey bashes the pirates daily. im with you FK, i listen alot and he is basically past even bashing them and now it's just more mocking than anything..
Paul Zeise right now on the show…

“Pat MacAfee is tweeting from Morgantown and it looks like he’s getting all the 13-9 crew together. He should be embarrassed!”

Reactions: Guyasuta Genac
Paul Zeise right now on the show…

“Pat MacAfee is tweeting from Morgantown and it looks like he’s getting all the 13-9 crew together. He should be embarrassed!”
is he so drunk that he is vomiting during his show? Pat Macafee, not paul zeise..

The 49ers consider themselves Super Bowl contenders. They weren't trading Aiyuk unless they got a player in return that they thought could help them win it all. And the Stillers apparently never offered anything more than draft picks. If you want to criticize Khan because he didn't want to give up a good player, meaning he'd help the team at a position they were bad in by making themselves worse at a different position, I guess sure, go ahead and do that. But for the same reason it didn't make sense for San Francisco to take anything less than a good player PLUS draft picks it didn't make sense for the Stillers to offer a good player as part of the package.

The 49ers consider themselves Super Bowl contenders. They weren't trading Aiyuk unless they got a player in return that they thought could help them win it all. And the Stillers apparently never offered anything more than draft picks. If you want to criticize Khan because he didn't want to give up a good player, meaning he'd help the team at a position they were bad in by making themselves worse at a different position, I guess sure, go ahead and do that. But for the same reason it didn't make sense for San Francisco to take anything less than a good player PLUS draft picks it didn't make sense for the Stillers to offer a good player as part of the package.
Omar can be criticized for not having the foresight to keep Dionte Johnson and not trade him to Carolina for a guy who was likely to get cut by the Panthers. Hindsight is 20/20 of course…but if Dionte were still here, maybe he was the guy to be packaged with draft picks in return for Aiyuk.

Omar can be criticized for not having the foresight to keep Dionte Johnson and not trade him to Carolina for a guy who was likely to get cut by the Panthers. Hindsight is 20/20 of course…but if Dionte were still here, maybe he was the guy to be packaged with draft picks in return for Aiyuk.

I've heard that before and I'm not sure it makes much sense. I mean Johnson would have been an Aiyuk replacement from the 49ers standpoint, but Johnson is a free agent this off season too. And while he certainly isn't going to get a contract like Aiyuk wanted (and got), he would absolutely want a big contract extension. Trading Aiyuk for Johnson might very well have just been trading one headache for a less talented, older headache.

I've heard that before and I'm not sure it makes much sense. I mean Johnson would have been an Aiyuk replacement from the 49ers standpoint, but Johnson is a free agent this off season too. And while he certainly isn't going to get a contract like Aiyuk wanted (and got), he would absolutely want a big contract extension. Trading Aiyuk for Johnson might very well have just been trading one headache for a less talented, older headache.
They just didn’t want the hole in the roster. Pretty sure with their cap situation that they want to go for it this year, this is their best chance at a championship and would have been fine for Dropson walking at the end of the year.

Agreed, I was a little tongue-in -cheek.......trying to come up with 7 positive articles about the Pirates in the last month would have been near impossible for me.
For reference, the other 7 articles weren't Pirates related.

For reference, the other 7 articles weren't Pirates related.
Speaking of tongue in cheek, even when the pirates were above .500 and winning some games, Starkey would sing that corny “Buccos go all the way” song during his show…but it was always for comic relief. No one is that much of a dummy.

Reactions: Burgh15
They just didn’t want the hole in the roster. Pretty sure with their cap situation that they want to go for it this year, this is their best chance at a championship and would have been fine for Dropson walking at the end of the year.

Yeah, they want to go for it this year. But they care so little about next year that instead of telling Aiyuk "tough shit, you have a contract, play" they signed him to one of the largest contracts ever for a wide receiver.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT