ADVERTISEMENT

Jurkovec to Pitt

Give alot of credit to our defense for the 8 wins this year. If u thought this offense was so spectacular in the losses to GT, Louisville, and UNC then more power to you. There is a reason why offense recruits bailed out on us.
I didn't think they were spectacular. I am just impressed by how negative people are that they view Jurkovec committing to Pitt as more bad news or whatever (some of the same people seem to want to fire Cignetti after one year, and possibly Narduzzi and Lyke as well.)

I didn't think they were spectacular. I am just impressed by how negative people are that they view Jurkovec committing to Pitt as more bad news or whatever (some of the same people seem to want to fire Cignetti after one year, and possibly Narduzzi and Lyke as well.)

People wanting to fire FCJ after one year is defensible. He doesn’t have some long track record of success with it. It’s just a history of mehhhhhhh. We would anybody want to stick with that when it’s not required?

Reactions: pierre93
People wanting to fire FCJ after one year is defensible. He doesn’t have some long track record of success with it. It’s just a history of mehhhhhhh. We would anybody want to stick with that when it’s not required?
I don't think it makes sense to fire an offensive coordinator after one season unless it was a total mess. After two or three without improvement, that's another story. We averaged 4.6 yards per carry even with sacks counting against (6.0 Izzy, 4.4 Hammond, 5.5 Davis, 5.5 Flemister), compared to 3.2 for our opponents. We averaged 5.9 yards per play compared to 5.0 for opponents. Pitt was 11th in the country in time of possession as well; I'm not a huge TOP guy, but Narduzzi clearly wants it, and he got it. Izzy led the nation in touchdowns. Even the passing game got more more than a full YPA than opponents: 7.63 vs 6.46.

Cignetti got a lot more out of Billy Stull than Cavanaugh. I didn't follow his career closely at like Fresno State or in the NFL. I think we should see what he can or can't do with Jurkovec and evaluate him over a few seasons. I'm not enthralled with the guy but our fans fall into a lot of the cliches (back up QB is always a stud, the coordinators always stink, the University is being cheap even when it was losing money on athletics, etc.)

Lots of posters are saying, “I want this QB” “I want that QB” “I want this guy over Jurkovec”

It’s a two way street. Most top QB’s aren’t coming to Pitt regardless of whether they like Cignetti’s offense. You have a guy that knows the offense and is willing to come to Pitt and play.

He’s not going to be a savior. But I think he will do a good job.

This is spot on. I'm excited and sets up a chance for another great year without having to wor through growing pains with a younger or new to the program QB!

Not bad news. Just meh news. The kind that won't move the needle in any appreciable way for the program.

Not bad news. Just meh news. The kind that won't move the needle in any appreciable way for the program.
It’s not a bad move but it’s more a “salvage the 7 win level” move. When the alternative might be to attract no other decent transfer (certainly a possibility even though it appears half the nation’s QBs are entering the portal), it looks better.

Of course, having a home grown guy with potential and several more seasons ahead of him would have been better than any one year guy, but you can never count on keeping anyone (decent) more than a season any longer anyway.

Strange days indeed. Most peculiar, mama.

Yarbell has played 3 or 4 games since soph in HS. He’s not starting anywhere especially with all of the QBs transferring. We see him on practice when he is not hurt. We know what we have with him. If that staff was thinking he could start then he would start

Is that true, though? Maybe the staff doesn't want to pull the portal transfer guy so that they can have an easier time bringing in another.

I don't think it makes sense to fire an offensive coordinator after one season unless it was a total mess. After two or three without improvement, that's another story. We averaged 4.6 yards per carry even with sacks counting against (6.0 Izzy, 4.4 Hammond, 5.5 Davis, 5.5 Flemister), compared to 3.2 for our opponents. We averaged 5.9 yards per play compared to 5.0 for opponents. Pitt was 11th in the country in time of possession as well; I'm not a huge TOP guy, but Narduzzi clearly wants it, and he got it. Izzy led the nation in touchdowns. Even the passing game got more more than a full YPA than opponents: 7.63 vs 6.46.

Cignetti got a lot more out of Billy Stull than Cavanaugh. I didn't follow his career closely at like Fresno State or in the NFL. I think we should see what he can or can't do with Jurkovec and evaluate him over a few seasons. I'm not enthralled with the guy but our fans fall into a lot of the cliches (back up QB is always a stud, the coordinators always stink, the University is being cheap even when it was losing money on athletics, etc.)

We’re pointing to one season that was about the time Obama first took office, and ignoring everything else, as evidence of why he should be kept? And just ignoring his lackluster career outside of that season?

The Pitt rushing EPA this year was 72nd. Basically the running game was below average to suck, depending on what analytic service you want to use. The rush defenses on the schedule were just sooooo bad, even bad rushing offenses were going to have really good days.

If you want to bring back FCJ, that’s fine. My only point is that it’s perfectly reasonable to want him gone after one season.

Reactions: YourPittDanceTeam
I'm not going to complain about a 6th year senior QB who knows the offense. We needed to do something for at least next year (sorry, I'm a skeptic that that 3rd stringer Yarnell is secretly the future.)
I think the staff feels Yarnell is the future. I just don't think they feel he is ready yet.

I think the staff feels Yarnell is the future. I just don't think they feel he is ready yet.
Agreed. Next year’s schedule is going to be tough.

Cincinnati
@WVU
@Notre Dame
@ Wake Forest
FSU

Do you want to start the season with an unproven QB? I don’t…

Jurkovec will be playing ND and BC next season…

I've said it before, it's kind of a good thing because expectations are now higher. It's ACC championship or bust which tells you that Pitt football has improved.

You know your not supposed to question but to answer I think Cignetti is even confused about his scheme. I'm just making light out of this BS. All this is so typical and found out that this was going to happen on Friday evening.
This is something a Hoopie would post. You are either for us, or against us.

Slovis had a couple games where he threw sub 50% completion percentage, many red zone turnover, and turtled in terror when breathed on by opponents. This will be a significant upgrade at QB.

Eh, Jurkovec is nothing special and wouldn’t have been talked about if not for the local connection. I hope he makes a substantial jump in his play and maybe that’ll happen reuniting with Cignetti. A bigger concern will be his health. Jurkovec has had four or five injuries over the past couple of seasons.

A quote from PSN:

Jurkovec isn’t the pure passer that even Slovis is, but he’s a gritty, strong-armed quarterback with the ability to extend plays using his legs

How peachy

Reactions: Clarion86
Lots of posters are saying, “I want this QB” “I want that QB” “I want this guy over Jurkovec”

It’s a two way street. Most top QB’s aren’t coming to Pitt regardless of whether they like Cignetti’s offense. You have a guy that knows the offense and is willing to come to Pitt and play.

He’s not going to be a savior. But I think he will do a good job.

I tend to agree. Here's
another thought, obvious
I know.

Pickett had Addison and
Pitt had a great year with
the OC. The OC leaves, and
although the QB and WR
also left, the offense was
nowhere as good. Well, looking
at BC, they also had a very
good year with Jurkovec
and his OC. After that, just
as it Pitt, it went downhill
when the new OC came in
and used a different QB.
Now that same OC and
Jurkovec are at Pitt. I'm
just connecting the dots.
IMO they can do at least
as well or better here. Of
course a few other portal
transfers will help...,.WR,
a RB (Izzy leaves?) another
TE, and OL.

Last edited:
Eh, Jurkovec is nothing special and wouldn’t have been talked about if not for the local connection. I hope he makes a substantial jump in his play and maybe that’ll happen reuniting with Cignetti. A bigger concern will be his health. Jurkovec has had four or five injuries over the past couple of seasons.
Yes and no.

1. The strong attraction to me is that he knows Cignetti’s system and was successful.

2. I love his ability to run. That is something we missed after having Kenny for 4 years. Unfortunately Slovis became skittish after the Tennessee game. I wonder how the GT and Louisville games could have turned out if Slovis could have run on a few plays.

3. We all knew if Slovis left, he was coming to Pitt. No question about it. The staff is now able to concentrate on other needs instead of competing with schools for QB’s for next year.

Yes and no.

1. The strong attraction to me is that he knows Cignetti’s system and was successful.

2. I love his ability to run. That is something we missed after having Kenny for 4 years. Unfortunately Slovis became skittish after the Tennessee game. I wonder how the GT and Louisville games could have turned out if Slovis could have run on a few plays.

3. We all knew if Slovis left, he was coming to Pitt. No question about it. The staff is now able to concentrate on other needs instead of competing with schools for QB’s for next year.
I think Slovis at his best was a better option than a guy like Jurkovec, however, we didn't get Slovis at his best. A healthy Jurkovec is an upgrade over Slovis and maybe enough of an upgrade that Pitt is a 10-2 team this year instead of 8-4.

Not all will agree with this, but as the QB room stands today, I don't even want to see a competition. Name Jurkovec the starter and let him run with the ones. He knows Cignetti's offense, so let him develop a rapport with the receivers over the entire offseason. It'll pay off more than some fake competition where he'll eventually be named the starter anyway.

I'm all for this transfer as long as the coaches play the best man. Competition almost always improves players. At the worst, he doesn't pan out. At the best, he is an important addition to a winning team.

But it doesn't hurt us a bit by getting this transfer. Bring it on.

I think Slovis at his best was a better option than a guy like Jurkovec, however, we didn't get Slovis at his best. A healthy Jurkovec is an upgrade over Slovis and maybe enough of an upgrade that Pitt is a 10-2 team this year instead of 8-4.

Not all will agree with this, but as the QB room stands today, I don't even want to see a competition. Name Jurkovec the starter and let him run with the ones. He knows Cignetti's offense, so let him develop a rapport with the receivers over the entire offseason. It'll pay off more than some fake competition where he'll eventually be named the starter anyway.
I actually agree with this. With even "B" QB play this year, we are 10-2

Reactions: Burgh15
Agreed. Next year’s schedule is going to be tough.

Cincinnati
@WVU
@Notre Dame
@ Wake Forest
FSU

Do you want to start the season with an unproven QB? I don’t…

Jurkovec will be playing ND and BC next season…
You would cry if you saw Penn State's, Ohio State's and Michigan's OOC next year.

I'm all for this transfer as long as the coaches play the best man. Competition almost always improves players. At the worst, he doesn't pan out. At the best, he is an important addition to a winning team.

But it doesn't hurt us a bit by getting this transfer. Bring it on.
Problem seems to be that coaches think that if they get an upper classman transfer (if that term even has meaning anymore), especially at the highest profile position, and then don't let him stay in that role all year - they aren't going to get another one the next time around...

Problem seems to be that coaches think that if they get an upper classman transfer (if that term even has meaning anymore), especially at the highest profile position, and then don't let him stay in that role all year - they aren't going to get another one the next time around...
I think you've captured the thinking of some coaches. And it is possible some players might be unwilling to go somewhere without a guarantee.

On the other hand, I would have no problem letting potential transfers know that they will have to earn their positions. It should be that way for every player on every team. The best man plays. A true impact player will probably have enough self-confidence to welcome competition.

Conversely, he might not come here if he wasn't from the area and have the connection with Cignetti.

Agree, staying healthy is a concern. I think he'll give us more than Slovis. Question is how much?

I wouldn't mind a younger guy out of the portal too. And then what happens with Yarnell?

I got to say that there seems to be a lot of blame on Slovis not knowing cignetti's offense. Who gets the blame for the experienced OL which was supposed to be a strength of the team sucking? Who gets the blame for turning Freshman sensation TE Gavin Bartholomew into the invisible man?
Who gets the blame for failing to throw the football down the middle of the field?
Slovis? I think not.

I’d rather see what we had in Nate Yarnell. This kid was given ample opportunity to come here and he said F you to Pitt twice. Way to show other top recruits that Pitt will take your leftovers after you suck. Signing this guy is like getting married to the hot chick in high school after she’s gone to college and made adult movies for 10 years. Do you wanna be that guy?

Reactions: YourPittDanceTeam
If Yarnell lights it up in the bowl game, is there a competition at QB next spring?

Colin Dunlap is saying on Twitter that Christian Vellieux, the PSU backup QB, will be transferring here to backup Phil for a year then hopefully be a multi year starter.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
ADVERTISEMENT