ADVERTISEMENT

Just FYI...rosters and stars for each team

LOL! You still don't get it. You're a little thick, aren't you. We're not brawling!! Are you going to be on the field and fighting with Pitt fans? (who knows, maybe you will be. You wvu fans aren't real smart). The players will be playing a game, that's it. Nothing more than that. And after it's over, we go on to the next one because the last one doesn't matter. It's not a big deal!

There's a reason why your team is ranked somewhere below 80. It's not good at all.
Well if your statement is true then we have no chance and we're about to get slaughtered.
giphy.gif

... and I'm sure you'll be doing 999 "other things" than watching that game. :rolleyes:
giphy.gif

Maybe, maybe not. I was supposed to be in Kiawah Island enjoying the beach this weekend, but had my plans changed. I have season's tickets. But you didn't comprehend what I said. If I'm at the game, I'll just enjoy the entertainment and friendship there and after the game, I'll go home. That's it. I don't live through the results on the field of a bunch of kids. Apparently you do. That's sad.

I know better than to take anything for granted in college football. It's an emotionally-based game.

My point was just that it seems like a lot of these guys you're touting are transfers who were highly thought of as recruits.

We've had plenty of those. Most haven't worked out.

5* QB Max Browne
4* QB Joey Yellen
4* QB Ricky Town

4* TE Will Gragg
4* DE Dwayne Hendrix (supposedly unblockable)

3/4* JUCO OG Chase Brown
3* OL from Texas Brandon Hodges
3* OL from Michigan Nola Ulizio

I mean, you can't just assume these guys are going to come in and play up to their high school billing.

I've heard in multiple places that people like WVU's team this year, so I'm not dismissing it. I wouldn't bet a dime on this game. But I think we're coached better and know how to win better... and we replaced our two biggest losses with a freshman AA and a QB who's done it before. Is there a chance things don't work out for us this season? Absolutely. But most of the experts and most of the metrics seem to be more favorable to us this year than they are to you guys.
All you've said can't be disputed. But there is a reason why we still line up and play? We'll settle all these arguments on the field. "Let's brawl" is a good natured way of saying...."let's line up and start smackin' folks around".

I promise you we'll be there.

Maybe, maybe not. I was supposed to be in Kiawah Island enjoying the beach this weekend, but had my plans changed. I have season's tickets. But you didn't comprehend what I said. If I'm at the game, I'll just enjoy the entertainment and friendship there and after the game, I'll go home. That's it. I don't live through the results on the field of a bunch of kids. Apparently you do. That's sad.
No I don't either. This is a very big game for our season and program (that's why it's on national T-V) and we very much expect to win it. If we don't, we'll go home and regroup. If we do, you'll have to stay home and re-evaluate your team since we're obviously not supposed to beat you right?

Polls...rankings...blah, blah, blah.....

Wow. Didn't realize how superior WVU was. I guess we shouldn't even show up on Thursday.
I never said that. I said our roster stacks up well in a side by side comparison based on "star" rankings which don't mean anything on the field, but can be an indicator of recruited talent.

OK kitty cats I'm out. I'll be back Thursday night after the game and see what everyone has to say? Win or lose, I promise to show up.

WVU was young in 2021. WVU is young in 2022. The difference is that WVU in 2022 has a p5 level QB. Last year they didn't. The Mountaineers had a very limited playbook because there were only a handful of plays Doege could hope to execute.

Records can be deceiving. WVU's 6-7 included 3 losses to TOP TEN programs. But with a different QB that 2021 is easily 3 wins better. Let me make that very clear... Doege was directly responsible for 2 of WVU's 6 regular season losses with absolutely terrible QB play. His play was a significant factor in the loss against Kansas State. His atrocious decision-making and poor throws almost cost WVU the win against VT.

Those sacks y'all point to as proof WVU's offensive line is inferior... 19 came against #7 Baylor and #9 Oklahoma State. Almost none of them were the fault of the OL.

Doege could barely complete a pass against man coverage. His indecision, lack of pocket presence, and immobility allowed opposing defenses to pack all 11 defenders near the LoS without risk. Doege couldn't beat a defense with his arm or legs. And when he was pressured he fell apart mentally.

Why did Doege continue to play? We just dunno. Backup Garrett Greene was a redshirt freshman who played more baseball than QB. Greene had a cannon for an arm and was a true dual-threat QB. The problem with Garrett was his lack of QB experience - combined with the COVID year - meant he rarely ran the play called.

Green took the snap, if his primary receiver was covered he just took off running. He didn't bother to read the defense, he just took off running. The only reason I can think of why Greene wasn't QB1 is that Brown, like nearly all head coaches, likes his QB to run the play that's actually called.

In retrospect, the 2021 season might have been different if VT scored on the terrible late interception by Doege. Blowing a big lead against VT might have forced Brown to anoint Greene as QB1. Greene's performance as QB1 could not have been worse than Doege.

So in 2021 WVU was very young, had a QB who is on the borderline of being FCS quality, and played what would have been a top ten schedule if not for LIU. As it is WVU was a top 25 strength of schedule last season.

6-7 was a freaking miracle.

Fast forward to 2022, Neal Brown has upgraded the roster at nearly every position of need. Narduzzi acknowledges how good JT Daniels is even if y'all refuse. The secondary was blown up and rebuilt with kids from the portal with the highest coverage grades available.

This is the most talented roster to play at WVU. And it finally has a QB who isn't a liability.
I think what I like about this post is that it tries to summarize all the reasons things aren't as bad for WVU as they might appear while leaving plenty of room to use those same reasons to explain an undesirable outcome.

The line that "6-7 was a freaking miracle" doesn't quite add up with all of the preseason hype from the fan base last fall. If you compare the outcome with what the WVU writers were saying, six wins was two or three wins below expectations.

I think what I like about this post is that it tries to summarize all the reasons things aren't as bad for WVU as they might appear while leaving plenty of room to use those same reasons to explain an undesirable outcome.

The line that "6-7 was a freaking miracle" doesn't quite add up with all of the preseason hype from the fan base last fall. If you compare the outcome with what the WVU writers were saying, six wins was two or three wins below expectations.

They like to find excuses for their poor performance one year and will use the same excuses another year when they suck again, even though they're hyping this year's team as better. If it is, it's not by much. And they still have the same inept head coach.

Reactions: pittdan77
No I don't either. This is a very big game for our season and program (that's why it's on national T-V) and we very much expect to win it. If we don't, we'll go home and regroup. If we do, you'll have to stay home and re-evaluate your team since we're obviously not supposed to beat you right?

Polls...rankings...blah, blah, blah.....
So polls and rankings don’t mean anything? If that’s the case, why did you create a post indicating WVU is better based on recruiting rankings?

So is the point of this thread to explain Pitt coaches get he most talent out of their roster while the WVU coaching staff underachieves?
I was struck by how young they are.

OL is three So and two Jr. Dont have a single senior on the offensive depth chart except at TE, RB and two if the WR are So.

DL & DB have good experience but LBs are Jr. So. and two Fr..

They do have Exree Loe as a backup at olb though :) ... They can brag up about all their "talent" but he wouldn't see the field, even as a senior w Pitts depth their

I was struck by how young they are.

OL is three So and two Jr. Dont have a single senior on the offensive depth chart except at TE, RB and two if the WR are So.

DL & DB have good experience but LBs are Jr. So. and two Fr..

They do have Exree Loe as a backup at olb though :) ... They can brag up about all their "talent" but he wouldn't see the field, even as a senior w Pitts depth their

Keep in mind, after a year or two in Morgantown with this coach; most of their players bounce for something better.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Does anyone else get douche chills every time the OP continues to use Brawl as a verb…… what a tool.

He won the starting job at USC as a true Frosh...then transferred to UGA and won that job over two other QBs, one was another 4 star and the other was a walk on who eventually led them to a National Championship!
Didn't only come to your camp only like a week ago? Was he in hiding? With a new OC? I don't see much meshing, sorry, you will be home by halftime and our stadium will still be full. Won't miss your sorry ass at all.

Didn't only come to your camp only like a week ago? Was he in hiding? With a new OC? I don't see much meshing, sorry, you will be home by halftime and our stadium will still be full. Won't miss your sorry ass at all.
mic-drop.gif

OK so JT Daniels is a washed up ex-starter off a Championship team who lost his job and can't play anywhere else but poor 'ol West Virginia. Got it. :rolleyes:

I neither said nor implied any such thing. But after reading your posts these last couple of days it's no surprise that you aren't smart enough to understand that.

I quoted that article as reasons JT chose us, not why he left Georgia. I guess reading comprehension is something they don't teach in the Cathedral of learning?

No, they do. Which is why I can understand that you quoting an article where Smart says that Daniels wasn't a better quarterback in the same thread that you are arguing that Daniels is obviously a better quarterback doesn't actually make your point for you, and you apparently can't.

So polls and rankings don’t mean anything? If that’s the case, why did you create a post indicating WVU is better based on recruiting rankings?

You know what does mean something? The over/under totals that the people who are putting their money where their mouth is are bet on. Do you know what the Hoopies number is?

And hey, as we well know, sometimes you outperform your expectations and sometimes you underperform them. We've seen both sides of that coin. But this Hoopie thinking that they are some sort of juggernaut in the making is clearly deluding himself.

On the other hand, he probably isn't. Because if he was actually so sure that they were going to be as good as he thinks they are going to be he'd have every single dollar that he can scrounge up bet on the over so he can rake in all that easy money.

Something tells me he doesn't.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
No "trolling" here...just a side-by-side comparison of our roster v your own and recruited star players since the two deeps for both outfits have all been announced and set.

Some of you probably weren't aware of just how much talent we've recruited at WVU, and will line up Thursday. You can't say you didn't know after reading our roster and comparing it to your own. See 'ya Thursday! ;)

WEST VIRGINIA OFFENSE:

QB:
18 JT Daniels, 6-2, 226, Jr. (five-star)
7 Will Crowder, 6-2, 220, r-Fr. (three-star) -or-
8 Nicco Marchiol, 6-1, 208, Fr. (four-star) -or-
6 Garrett Greene, 5-11, 200, r-So. (three-star)

RB: 24 Tony Mathis, 5-11, 207, r-So. (three-star)
26 Justin Johnson, 5-11, 198, So. (four-star)

WR (X): 0 Bryce Ford-Wheaton, 6-3, 224, r-Jr. (three-star)
11 Cortez Braham, 6-2, 198, Jr. (two-star)

WR (Y): 13 Sam James, 6-0, 182, r-Jr. (three-star)
29 Preston Fox, 5-10, 184, r-Fr. (unranked)

WR (H): 15 Reese Smith, 5-10, 187, So. (three-star)
89 Graeson Malashevich, 5-9, 186, r-So. (unranked)

WR (Z): 3 Kaden Prather, 6-4, 211, So. (four-star)
2 Jeremiah Aaron, 5-10, 186, So. (three-star)

TE (H): 88 Brian Polendey, 6-4, 256, r-Sr. (three-star) -or-
87 Mike O'Laughlin, 6-5, 255, r-Jr. (three-star)

LT: 64 Wyatt Milum, 6-6, 307, So. (four-star)
58 Nick Malone, 6-5, 300, r-So. (three-star)

LG: 74 James Gmiter, 6-3, 310, r-Jr. (three-star)
55 Tomas Rimac, 6-6, 312, r-Fr. (three-star)

C: 54 Zach Frazier, 6-3, 306, So. (three-star)
53 Jordan White, 6-2, 298, r-Fr. (three-star)

RG: 72 Doug Nester, 6-7, 320, Jr. (four-star)
53 Jordan White, 6-2, 298, r-Fr. (three-star)

RT: 50 Brandon Yates, 6-4, 308, r-So. (three-star) -or-
66 Ja'Quay Hubbard, 6-5, 318, r-So. (four-star)

PITTSBURGH DEFENSE:

DE:
87 Habakkuk Baldonado, 6-5, 260, Sr. (three-star)
50 Dayon Hayes, 6-3, 275, Jr. (four-star) -or-
16 Nate Temple, 6-4, 245, Jr. (two-star)

DT: 2 David Green, 6-1, 280, Sr. (three-star) -or-
95 Devin Danielson, 6-2, 300, Sr. (three-star)
90 Deandre Jules, 6-3, 310, Jr. (three-star)

DT: 8 Calijah Kancey, 6-0, 280, Jr. (three-star)
92 Tyler Bentley, 6-2, 300, Sr. (three-star)

DE: 5 Deslin Alexandre, 6-4, 275, Sr. (three-star)
6 John Morgan, 6-2, 265, Sr. (three-star)

STAR LB: 11 Bangally Kamara, 6-2, 225, Jr. (three-star)
23 Solomon DeShields, 6-2, 230, So. (three-star)

MIKE LB: 7 Sirvocea Dennis, 6-1, 230, Sr. (two-star)
30 Brandon George, 6-3, 245, Sr. (three-star)

MONEY LB: 32 Shayne Simon, 6-3, 235, Sr. (four-star)
10 Tylar Wiltz, 6-1, 210, Sr. (unranked)

SS: 9 Brandon Hill, 5-11, 195, Jr. (three-star)
0 Judson Tallandier, 6-2, 185, Sr. (three-star) -or-
20 Javon McIntyre, 6-0, 195, Fr. (three-star)

FS: 31 Erick Hallett, 5-11, 195, Sr. (three-star)
22 P.J. O'Brien, 6-0, 185, So. (three-star)

CB: 25 AJ Woods, 5-11, 195, Sr. (three-star)
15 Rashad Battle, 6-3, 200, Jr. (four-star)
18 Ryland Gandy, 6-0, 180, Fr. (three-star)

CB: Marquis Williams, 5-9, 180, Sr. (three-star)
12 M.J. Devonshire, 5-11, 190, Jr. (four-star)
28 Noah Biglow, 5-11, 180, Fr. (three-star)

Starters for West Virginia: 1 five-star, 3 four-stars, 7 three-stars

Starters for Pittsburgh: 1 four-star, 9 three-stars, 1 two-star

WEST VIRGINIA DEFENSE:

DT:
55 Dante Stills, 6-4, 290, Sr. (four-star)
96 Edward Vesterinen, 6-3, 281, So. (three-star)
52 Jalen Thornton, 6-2, 278, r-So. (three-star)
99 Zeiqui Lawton, 6-1, 274, r-Fr. (three-star)

NG: 95 Jordan Jefferson, 6-3, 310, Jr. (three-star)
93 Mike Lockhart, 6-3, 317, r-So. (three-star)

DE: 12 Taijh Alston, 6-4, 255, r-Sr. (three-star)
91 Sean Martin, 6-5, 288, So. (three-star)

BANDIT: 10 Jared Bartlett, 6-2, 235, r-So. (three-star) -or-
44 Lanell Carr, 6-1, 245, So. (three-star)

WLB: 5 Lance Dixon, 6-2, 220, r-So. (four-star)
6 Exree Loe, 6-0, 214, r-Sr. (three-star)

MLB: 8 Lee Kpogba, 6-1, 230, Jr. (four-star)
18 Tirek Austin-Cave, 6-1, 228, So. (three-star)
36 Caden Biser, 6-0, 226, r-Fr. (unranked)

SPEAR: 27 Davis Mallinger, 6-1, 194, r-Fr. (three-star) -or-
7 Jasir Cox, 6-1, 204, Sr. (unranked)

FS: 2 Aubrey Burks, 5-11, 182, So. (three-star)
13 Hershey McLaurin, 6-1, 210, So. (four-star)

CS: 24 Marcis Floyd, 6-0, 194, r-Jr. (unranked)
14 Malachi Ruffin, 5-10, 195, Jr. (unranked)

LCB: 4 Rashad Ajayi, 5-11, 182, Sr. (two-star)
11 Wesley McCormick, 5-11, 200, Sr. (unranked)

RCB: 9 Charles Woods, 5-11, 193, Sr. (unranked)
20 Andrew Wilson-Lamp, 6-2, 178, r-Fr. (three-star)

PITTSBURGH OFFENSE:

QB:
9 Kedon Slovis, 6-3, 215, Sr. (three-star)
12 Nick Patti, 6-3,225, Sr. (three-star)
19 Nate Yarnell, 6-6, 215, Fr. (three-star)

RB: 2 Isreael Abanikanda, 5-11, 215, Jr. (three-star)
6 Rodney Hammond, Jr., 5-9, 200, So. (three-star)
22 Vincent Davis, 5-8, 180, Sr. (three-star) -or-
24 C'Bo Flemister, 5-11, 200, Sr. (three-star)

WR: 14 Konata Mumpfield, 6-1, 180, So. (two-star)
10 Jaylon Barden, 5-11, 175, Jr. (three-star)

WR: 5 Jared Wayne, 6-3, 210, Sr. (three-star)
7 Jaden Bradley, 6-3, 195, So. (three-star)

WR: 15 Bub Means, 6-2, 215, So. (three-star)
20 Myles Alston, 6-1, 180. Fr. (three-star)

TE: 86 Gavin Bartholomew, 6-5, 255, So. (three-star)
3 Kyi Wright, 6-3, 265, Jr. (three-star) -or-
8 Karter Johnson, 6-2, 250, Jr. (three-star)

LT: 77 Carter Warren, 6-5, 325, Sr. (three-star)
78 Branson Taylor, 6-5, 320, So. (three-star)

LG: 55 Marcus Minor, 6-4, 325, Sr. (four-star)
61 Ryan Jacoby, 6-4, 305, Jr. (three-star)

C: 60 Owen Drexel, 6-3, 305, Sr. (two-star)
58 Terrence Moore, 6-5, 310, Fr. (three-star)

RG: 53 Jake Kradel, 6-3, 305, Sr. (three-star)
68 Blake Zubovic, 6-4, 320, Sr. (three-star)

RT: 57 Gabe Houy, 6-6, 325, Sr. (three-star)
76 Matt Gonclaves, 6-6, 315, Jr. (three-star)
50 Jason Collier, Jr., 6-6, 325, Jr. (three-star)

Starters for West Virginia: 3 four-stars, 5 three-stars, 1 two-star, 2 unranked

Starters for Pittsburgh: 1 four-star, 8 three-stars, 2 two-stars

Keenan Cummings

WVSports.com Managing Editor
Email: kc10585@yahoo.com
L.

Next.

Congratulations. Nice win. It wasn't as easy as you thought it was going to be, and it could have gone our way. It was a battle no doubt. Still you guys deserve to celebrate because you won it, and at the end of the day that's all that matters.

Congratulations. Nice win. It wasn't as easy as you thought it was going to be, and it could have gone our way. It was a battle no doubt. Still you guys deserve to celebrate because you won it, and at the end of the day that's all that matters.
Great game for both teams agree it could have gone either way --- kudos for showing up.

Reactions: atlkvb
Great game for both teams agree it could have gone either way --- kudos for showing up.
Honestly that game is why College football is special, and it's a shame we don't play every year. Still, it's a great rivalry...good for both brands...and at least we've agreed to play each other on and off again in future years.

Reactions: BVGPitt
Thanks for stopping by, as you promised. As I predicted, "seeing stars" was what WVU experienced at the end of the game, although quite a few hard hits came from both teams during the game. Probably good that this game was played on a Thursday as both squads will need that extra day or two to recover.

As others have said, this rivalry game NEEDS to be played every year. And maybe I will go out on a limb here and say that the game needs to be played at Heinz Field (sorry, too early to call the stadium by its new name) every year. I haven't lived in the Pgh area for years, and the last time I went to Morgantown to see a Pitt/WVU game was decades ago. But from all accounts, I think that your fans/season ticket holders are among the worst in their "hospitality" toward visiting teams. As great as it was to have the Pitt fans show up last night, I would doubt that more than a 1,000 or so will show up in Morgantown next year.

If this WERE an annual contest, and Heinz Field were the venue, the athletic programs from both schools could treat it as a "neutral" game, and both teams would be allotted the same number of tickets. WVU would easily send 35,000 fans as would Pitt.

Thanks for stopping by, as you promised. As I predicted, "seeing stars" was what WVU experienced at the end of the game, although quite a few hard hits came from both teams during the game. Probably good that this game was played on a Thursday as both squads will need that extra day or two to recover.

As others have said, this rivalry game NEEDS to be played every year. And maybe I will go out on a limb here and say that the game needs to be played at Heinz Field (sorry, too early to call the stadium by its new name) every year. I haven't lived in the Pgh area for years, and the last time I went to Morgantown to see a Pitt/WVU game was decades ago. But from all accounts, I think that your fans/season ticket holders are among the worst in their "hospitality" toward visiting teams. As great as it was to have the Pitt fans show up last night, I would doubt that more than a 1,000 or so will show up in Morgantown next year.

If this WERE an annual contest, and Heinz Field were the venue, the athletic programs from both schools could treat it as a "neutral" game, and both teams would be allotted the same number of tickets. WVU would easily send 35,000 fans as would Pitt.
We'll return your gracious hospitality when we square off next year in Morgantown. Bring your ear plugs.

Once again, congratulations on the tough win.

Amid all the "star" talk in this thread.... I'd like to point out that

Aaron Donald was a 3-star with one P5 offer.
Pat White was a 2-star with one P5 offer.
James Conner was a 3-star *DEFENSIVE LINEMAN* with one P5 offer.

All were exceptional players in college.

When looking at the rosters.... don't look at what they were rated when they were 17 years old. Look at what they are NOW in their careers.

Amid all the "star" talk in this thread.... I'd like to point out that

Aaron Donald was a 3-star with one P5 offer.
Pat White was a 2-star with one P5 offer.
James Conner was a 3-star *DEFENSIVE LINEMAN* with one P5 offer.

All were exceptional players in college.

When looking at the rosters.... don't look at what they were rated when they were 17 years old. Look at what they are NOW in their careers.
Oh I 100% agree with you. CJ Donaldson was an overlooked 3*. No one will overlook him again after his performance. On the other hand JT Daniels was a highly rated 5*. That wasn't a fluke...if our receivers hang onto to just three more balls he threw, we win that game.

Oh I 100% agree with you. CJ Donaldson was an overlooked 3*. No one will overlook him again after his performance. On the other hand JT Daniels was a highly rated 5*. That wasn't a fluke...if our receivers hang onto to just three more balls he threw, we win that game.
And if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a bicycle!

In all seriousness, my first Backyard Brawl was in 1972 - 50 years ago. This game was one of the best!

Kudos to both teams for bringing it for 60 minutes! They put on quite a show for a national audience.

Until next year, good luck...

And if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a bicycle!

In all seriousness, my first Backyard Brawl was in 1972 - 50 years ago. This game was one of the best!

Kudos to both teams for bringing it for 60 minutes! They put on quite a show for a national audience.

Until next year, good luck...
Again 100% agreement. I'm pissed the College football gurus have lost the significance of traditional "rivalry" games like this while they're chasing after the almighty dollar! I get it T-V ratings and such are a fact in College football today, but there is no excuse to not play this game every year. It was actually great T-V! #1 on cable in Prime time!

It was a great game somebody had to lose. We'll play again next year. Good luck to you the rest of the year.

Reactions: HOF Coach
ADVERTISEMENT