ADVERTISEMENT

KDKA deep sixes Jeff

bayardstreet

All Conference
Gold Member
Jul 29, 2016
what the hell. Verzyla 23 year veteran weatherman. I hope he can find work at a competing station.

Anyone know the real reason why he was fired?

His tweets made it sound like he was blindsided by his termination. Makes me wonder...

So I have an in law on the wife's side who lives in Florida but is really good friends with pomp. Bob claims Jeff had a really crappy attitude around the newsroom and that is really the only reason. Nothing scandalous. I guess someone online stated he has anti climate change views and has expressed that on his social media but that that is not the reason for his firing.

My brother-in-law has 2 stories about Jeff V. that do not reflect well on him. First story, he was playing in a “fun” softball game. Jeff V. went into 2nd base spikes up into the shortstop. He copped some attitude with them as if he were playing in a World Series game. The second one, he had some coupon for a garage door repair. It was for a discount, and Jeff V. tried to get the work done for free. He was a real jerk to the guy and said he was going to go to management. He said - don’t you know who I am? It is karma according to my brother-in-law.

We still have cropper on WPXI, and from a friend who knows him personally I’ve heard he is a really great guy.

Reactions: pitt-girl
My brother-in-law has 2 stories about Jeff V. that do not reflect well on him. First story, he was playing in a “fun” softball game. Jeff V. went into 2nd base spikes up into the shortstop. He copped some attitude with them as if he were playing in a World Series game. The second one, he had some coupon for a garage door repair. It was for a discount, and Jeff V. tried to get the work done for free. He was a real jerk to the guy and said he was going to go to management. He said - don’t you know who I am? It is karma according to my brother-in-law.
My wife, who has an uncanny ability to quickly size up a person's personality and character, came home from shopping one day and out-of-the blue said to me "Jeff V. Is a pompous a-hole. I can't stand him!"

I replied, "Whoa! What makes you say that?"

She observed him out shopping with his family and "he carried on like his sh*t don't stink."

My son-in-law works security for the Steelers' locker room on game day. As many of you know, Jeff worked as a sideline reporter for KDKA during the preseason home games. Yesterday, my son-in-law said out-of-the-blue at dinner that he was happy that Jeff was fired because "he is such a jerk!"

So I have an in law on the wife's side who lives in Florida but is really good friends with pomp. Bob claims Jeff had a really crappy attitude around the newsroom and that is really the only reason. Nothing scandalous. I guess someone online stated he has anti climate change views and has expressed that on his social media but that that is not the reason for his firing.

In that case they should have given how his own show with a 4 hr daily prime time timeslot!

Last edited:
KDKA can be ruthless just like the other stations. They pushed out Patti Burns year’s ago for Patrice King Brown. Burns was in her 50’s and you know how that goes. She was beloved in the city. A few years later she died of cancer and KDKA did a week of tributes to her. I don’t think she was treated fairly. At least WTAE had a good plan for Wiggin using her for different things as she went into her 60’s.

As for Verzyla maybe he had worn out his welcome. The local weather guys seem to move around quite a bit

KDKA can be ruthless just like the other stations. They pushed out Patti Burns year’s ago for Patrice King Brown. Burns was in her 50’s and you know how that goes. She was beloved in the city. A few years later she died of cancer and KDKA did a week of tributes to her. I don’t think she was treated fairly. At least WTAE had a good plan for Wiggin using her for different things as she went into her 60’s.

As for Verzyla maybe he had worn out his welcome. The local weather guys seem to move around quite a bit
Patti Burns was the best anchor on Pgh...ever

Reactions: bayardstreet
Like most I guess, kdka is the channel the wife (aka the boss) typically turns on in the evenings for news. All of em are pretty much the same so I typically don't change it. So just from casual regular observation, I have to say that for being the main weather guy, the dude missed a LOT of work. He seemed to not be on the air more than when he was. So maybe that has something to do with it.

We still have cropper on WPXI, and from a friend who knows him personally I’ve heard he is a really great guy.

I don't know him personally. But my wife and I were at a local Target a while back and he walked in while we were near the entrance. He said Hi to us and couldn't have been nicer. Seemed like a great guy and he was so nice with his family. I'd say right now, he's probably the best weather guy in Pittsburgh.

Anyone remember Ken Philips? This is going back into the 80's. I knew him well and played tennis with him when he was in town. I know he went to Baltimore and I met him down there for lunch a few times. But we've lost contact and I don't know if he's even still alive. He'd have to be in his late 70's early 80's by now.

Patti Burns was the best anchor on Pgh...ever
Paul-Long-Image.png

I'm guessing KDKA will go with the 'hot young weather woman showing lots of skin' model.

Paul Long, Joe Dinardo, and Billy Hillgrove having cocktails between the 6pm and 11pm news casts. I would have liked to have joined them on occasion

Reactions: pbrad and HOF Coach
All accounts is he was a jerk, a rich boy who got his job through his mom's connections, he was probably top man in his pay grade, not spectacular at what he does, and being an ass to boot, he was an easy target.

Paul Long, Joe Dinardo, and Billy Hillgrove having cocktails between the 6pm and 11pm news casts. I would have liked to have joined them on occasion

More than once, I've had the privilege of having a cocktail with Billy. Never between newscasts, but I've been to several Panther radio shows where Billy regularly enjoys a cocktail.

I can second this story. I played softball against him few times and he was a total prick in every instance.

He also never tested very well with audiences as his arrogance came across loud and clear to viewers. There has been a management change at KDKA and I would expect that his release has much to do with different leadership.

I can second this story. I played softball against him few times and he was a total prick in every instance.

He also never tested very well with audiences as his arrogance came across loud and clear to viewers. There has been a management change at KDKA and I would expect that his release has much to do with different leadership.
Yeah, I hate to say this.....but "successful" weather folks fall in 3 categories:
1) The grandfatherly, voice of expertise types...long time, long term spanning generations.
2) The characters who have big personality
3) Hot babes.

Verzyla's arrogance and aloofness seemed to come through the airwaves.

What you saw as arrogance I saw as smooth. I felt Jeff was Pittsburghs best forecaster. Channel 11 has the best futurecast radar. This is an example of how it is better to be liked than to be good. How else can one explain Jon Burnett still having a Job?

My wife, who has an uncanny ability to quickly size up a person's personality and character, came home from shopping one day and out-of-the blue said to me "Jeff V. Is a pompous a-hole. I can't stand him!"

I replied, "Whoa! What makes you say that?"

She observed him out shopping with his family and "he carried on like his sh*t don't stink."

My son-in-law works security for the Steelers' locker room on game day. As many of you know, Jeff worked as a sideline reporter for KDKA during the preseason home games. Yesterday, my son-in-law said out-of-the-blue at dinner that he was happy that Jeff was fired because "he is such a jerk!"

He has the Peddstate attitude...

Got my attention..
Demographics won't allow it. Still a very mature (old) viewing audience - the people who are viewing for the ratings thing. Now if you want skin you might want to look to the deep south in the spanish influenced demographics. Perhaps SoCal. Just google (for a friend) hot weather chicks.

Yeah, I hate to say this.....but "successful" weather folks fall in 3 categories:
1) The grandfatherly, voice of expertise types...long time, long term spanning generations.
2) The characters who have big personality
3) Hot babes.

Verzyla's arrogance and aloofness seemed to come through the airwaves.

Not necessarily in that order !

Demographics won't allow it. Still a very mature (old) viewing audience - the people who are viewing for the ratings thing. Now if you want skin you might want to look to the deep south in the spanish influenced demographics. Perhaps SoCal. Just google (for a friend) hot weather chicks.

Just did...

One thing for certain you won't see KDKA's (is it Kristen something)... John Cigna is better looking.,

The temperature should be 100 degrees... not 28 degrees...
Hopefully versala's replacement..
I watch the weather to get the weather. I value competence over looks or likability. Jeff was the most accurate forecaster. Valarie Skoal had the best organication and presentation. Ashley does a pretty good combination of both. Watch the new guy on channel 4. He will be good.

Took them a long time to figure it out if he was a Jerk. How bout the teenager 4 hired after they canned Petlin. Petlin on 2 now and pretty good n likable

Reactions: Farnox
I watch the weather to get the weather. I value competence over looks or likability. Jeff was the most accurate forecaster. Valarie Skoal had the best organication and presentation. Ashley does a pretty good combination of both. Watch the new guy on channel 4. He will be good.
Doing this on a Kindle. Please excuse all my typos.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT