ADVERTISEMENT

KDKA's Bob Pompeani attacks Pitt on the Cam issue!!!

PittPoker

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2008
From his twitter feed recently:

"Pitt looks petty in their handling of Cam Johnson.... plain and simple...Coaches come and go despite signed deals...Let him do what he wants"

Bob Pompi Pant Load has just spoken. He knows all !

Seriously, let the kid go and be eligible for next year and then have deputy dog Roy Williams have a hand shake deal with his coaching buddy Stallings that Cam won't get off the bench for the North Carolina Versus Pitt game. How is that for sportsmanship.

Pomp is totally correct to anyone with half a brain. Pitt looks like a pompous ass making an issue out of something like this. This shouldn't be about what's good for Pitt. It should be about what's good for the student/athletes. Once we lose sight of that, college sports dies. Of course to read some of the comments on message boards like this, I think college sports is already dead.

Good luck to Cam. He's better off where he is now and he knows it.

Pomp is totally correct to anyone with half a brain. Pitt looks like a pompous ass making an issue out of something like this. This shouldn't be about what's good for Pitt. It should be about what's good for the student/athletes. Once we lose sight of that, college sports dies. Of course to read some of the comments on message boards like this, I think college sports is already dead.

Yep

We are going to suck the next two years...let the kid go. If there is precedent that grad transfers have moved from one acc school to another than it really makes no sense to make him sit a year.

Reactions: Parkview57
NCAA needs to get rid of the grad transfer rule. It is being grossly abused. It was designed to allow bright students to get a grad degree in a field not offered at the school they were an undergrad--not to help/hinder basketball programs.

The sooner it is either eliminated or restricted based on whether past transfers actually complete their grad degrees in the field they transferred to study--all the better.

I am certain the grad school major he will be in at UNC can be had at quite a number of non-ACC schools!

NCAA needs to get rid of the grad transfer rule. It is being grossly abused. It was designed to allow bright students to get a grad degree in a field not offered at the school they were an undergrad--not to help/hinder basketball programs.

The sooner it is either eliminated or restricted based on whether past transfers actually complete their grad degrees in the field they transferred to study--all the better.

I am certain the grad school major he will be in at UNC can be had at quite a number of non-ACC schools!
Why?
You have a problem with players actually graduating with eligibility remaining???

Bob has lost something off his fastball the only team he never criticize is the steelers.

Pomp is very Pitt friendly.

Pitt was ok to do this at first you don't want kids picking up and leaving without any reservations. Typically a kid like Cam would say "ok I've got 300 other schools to choose from". Lots of schools put the same restrictions on. But Pitt alums stick it to their school like no others. Now it's time for Pitt to drop it they gain nothing from fighting this and won't win.

Pitt is not blocking his transfer or his scholarship funding. Just saying he can't play his first year. And Cam could have transferred anywhere else in the country and been eligible immediately. Frankly I don't give a good crap if he plays or not. Just don't give me this poor Cam stuff.

Pitt is not blocking his transfer or his scholarship funding. Just saying he can't play his first year. And Cam could have transferred anywhere else in the country and been eligible immediately. Frankly I don't give a good crap if he plays or not. Just don't give me this poor Cam stuff.
If the Johnson's have council, the NCAA bylaws, and acc precedent on their side...
Including winning an intraschool appeal to contact acc teams...

It's more about Pitt looking like dogshit, than about cam. Pitt isn't protecting its interests... it's being petty.

Pitt can't legally block his transfer or eligibility for financial aid...so that's a non starter

Pitt will be flat terrible next year .
Where cam plays, has nothing to do with it.

Reactions: levance2
Agree WBR, Roy Williams no longer doing it with one and done's. He has upper-classmen every year who are very good players. Cam wants to play in a final 4 and he knows Carolina represents his best chance to do so. If he demands on playing for Carolina, despite being cleared to play right away at other Universities, well, I have no problem with him having to wait a year to do it. Plus, for all of you who are stuck on the education angle, it gives Cam a year to get settled into the grad program that he chooses and a year to practice with the team. It is a Win-Win situation. Do not Weep for Cam, I am sure there are other schools offering the same grad program, he wants it all, but Pitt said no for now.

If the Johnson's have council, the NCAA bylaws, and acc precedent on their side...
Including winning an intraschool appeal to contact acc teams...

It's more about Pitt looking like dogshit, than about cam. Pitt isn't protecting its interests... it's being petty.

Pitt can't legally block his transfer or eligibility for financial aid...so that's a non starter

Pitt will be flat terrible next year .
Where cam plays, has nothing to do with it.
This team played in the last two title games. You don't think that factored into his decision at all? He could have chosen several other top schools and played immediately. Therefore, he is either a little slow for grad school in my opinion, or it mattered very much where Cam plays.

This team played in the last two title games. You don't think that factored into his decision at all? He could have chosen several other top schools and played immediately. Therefore, he is either a little slow for grad school in my opinion, or it mattered very much where Cam plays.
Of course it matters.

It's also completely not relevant to the principle

Absolutely. IMO opinion Cam and his family are wrong here. Cam could have gone anywhere in the country, but chose the same conference and is dragging pitt through the mud. He has been a great kid, but this is a low class move. I would think if cam gets to play at unc this will change the rules. This precedent would be ridiculous.

Absolutely. IMO opinion Cam and his family are wrong here. Cam could have gone anywhere in the country, but chose the same conference and is dragging pitt through the mud. He has been a great kid, but this is a low class move. I would think if cam gets to play at unc this will change the rules. This precedent would be ridiculous.
He graduated and eligible to play anywhere .
Why should they honor an arbitrary restriction only imposed by pitt?
Cam is the least of Pitt 's problems the next 2 years

He graduated and eligible to play anywhere .
Why should they honor an arbitrary restriction only imposed by pitt?
Cam is the least of Pitt 's problems the next 2 years
You have to do the right thing if you are cam and family. This is a low class move. Just go anywhere else.

Pomp is very Pitt friendly.

Pitt was ok to do this at first you don't want kids picking up and leaving without any reservations. Typically a kid like Cam would say "ok I've got 300 other schools to choose from". Lots of schools put the same restrictions on. But Pitt alums stick it to their school like no others. Now it's time for Pitt to drop it they gain nothing from fighting this and won't win.

I'm not quite sure where I fall on this, but it would seem to be close to where you are. Regardless, I agree that Pitt has nothing to gain from fighting this, and for that reason they should let it go -- as they are likely to lose anyway.

They are doing the right thing for Cam.
Only pitt is low class here
the right move for cam is showing respect to your former school and going to a non ACC school. Integrity and class are importnat. I mean the poor guy might have had to go to kentucky, Arizona, or ucla next year. Just would have been so terrible for him.

the right move for cam is showing respect to your former school and going to a non ACC school. Integrity and class are importnat. I mean the poor guy might have had to go to kentucky, Arizona, or ucla next year. Just would have been so terrible for him.
Where is Pitt's integrity and class by placing a self imposed limitations on a high honors graduate???

Rest assured, Pitt gains nothing from this fight.
Nothing.

So- let's think it through rationally, and then assign moral standing.

On one hand- High honor graduate after 3 years, with a new coach and staff and administration from when he started ...oh, and an entirely new roster. Who is able to transfer anywhere by rule and be immediately eligible.

On other hand- you have pitt... who is fighting, not cams ability to go to unc or even play for them....
But make him sit a year, not because the NCAA or acc require it- because both have an EXPLICIT rule exempting actual scholar athletes like cam....but, because they are mad he didn't listen to them and take the path of least resistance.

An individual exercising his freedom of choice versus an institution exerting its force with nothing to gain.

Man... that's a tough situation to figure who the bad guy is.

Someone here didn't take ethics classes at Pitt.

Let's flip it... if unc is the only school to offer cam a spot, and pitt fights him... are your feelings the same? Better be. His options are irrelevant to the issue

Reactions: Gep Dawg
Many if you miss the point. The grad transfer option is supposed to be primarily about academics and basketball is only supposed to support the academic decision not the other way around. That is why the NCAA should strictly enforce the rule about the school you are transferring to really having a unique grad program you do not have at your originating school and then require the transfer to get the grad degree with a loss of ships penalty for the school when that doesn't happen. Alternatively, they should simply get rid of the grad transfer rule entirely.

Many if you miss the point. The grad transfer option is supposed to be primarily about academics and basketball is only supposed to support the academic decision not the other way around. That is why the NCAA should strictly enforce the rule about the school you are transferring to really having a unique grad program you do not have at your originating school and then require the transfer to get the grad degree with a loss of ships penalty for the school when that doesn't happen. Alternatively, they should simply get rid of the grad transfer rule entirely.
No point missed.
That is the rule related to pursuing a degree not offered.

Last edited:

"Pitt looks petty in their handling of Cam Johnson.... plain and simple...Coaches come and go despite signed deals...Let him do what he wants"
Well then damnit it we do if he says it because he is so well informed and he knows what is best for all involved.

How did Bob get that job? He's the most boring sports "personality" on the entire planet!

Where is Pitt's integrity and class by placing a self imposed limitations on a high honors graduate???

Rest assured, Pitt gains nothing from this fight.
Nothing.

So- let's think it through rationally, and then assign moral standing.

On one hand- High honor graduate after 3 years, with a new coach and staff and administration from when he started ...oh, and an entirely new roster. Who is able to transfer anywhere by rule and be immediately eligible.

On other hand- you have pitt... who is fighting, not cams ability to go to unc or even play for them....
But make him sit a year, not because the NCAA or acc require it- because both have an EXPLICIT rule exempting actual scholar athletes like cam....but, because they are mad he didn't listen to them and take the path of least resistance.

An individual exercising his freedom of choice versus an institution exerting its force with nothing to gain.

Man... that's a tough situation to figure who the bad guy is.

Someone here didn't take ethics classes at Pitt.

Let's flip it... if unc is the only school to offer cam a spot, and pitt fights him... are your feelings the same? Better be. His options are irrelevant to the issue
I completely disagree and we can agree to disagree. You are so worried about Cam...How do you think Ryan Luther feels?

Let's take a step back. Alot of people on this thread (Souf) is frothing in the mouth, no doubt being driven insane by his hatred of Kevin Stallings, which is like raw meat to a pitbull.........hating of Kevin Stalling and Pitt BB aside as many of you now do.

Name me another transfer grad or not, who has transferred to a conference rival? What precedent does this set? Now the bluebloods, with already 27 different advantages to everyone else, this is the 28th. They can just sit back and wait for the next Wake Forest or Boston College or Pitt or whoever kids who develop, progress, graduate and then can move on to Duke or UNC or Louisville. Without recourse, further increasing the divide.

Poor, poor Cam Johnson. He could have transferred to Michigan, UK, Arizona, UCLA, etc....all without issue. The poor child. Here's another thing, poor, poor Cam Johnson should have been at Robert Morris instead of Pitt of HS. He was a reach. So pardon me if I am not crying for him. And this outrage by the basketball intelligentsia, most of whom raised nary a concern on UNC's academic fraud are showing their hypocrisy.

Again, I think alot of this by some of you is just another "eff you" to Stallings. Nice.

And then there is a message to Pitt. To Pat Gallegher (not the Chancellor but the big mouthed trucking tycoon) and Armand Dellavonde and the rest of your ilk, stop being patsies. Start doing what your predecessors did to get top talent to Pitt. Shut up and put your money where your mouths are. There are no more oversight committees anymore.

Let's take a step back. Alot of people on this thread (Souf) is frothing in the mouth, no doubt being driven insane by his hatred of Kevin Stallings, which is like raw meat to a pitbull.........hating of Kevin Stalling and Pitt BB aside as many of you now do.

Name me another transfer grad or not, who has transferred to a conference rival? What precedent does this set? Now the bluebloods, with already 27 different advantages to everyone else, this is the 28th. They can just sit back and wait for the next Wake Forest or Boston College or Pitt or whoever kids who develop, progress, graduate and then can move on to Duke or UNC or Louisville. Without recourse, further increasing the divide.

Poor, poor Cam Johnson. He could have transferred to Michigan, UK, Arizona, UCLA, etc....all without issue. The poor child. Here's another thing, poor, poor Cam Johnson should have been at Robert Morris instead of Pitt of HS. He was a reach. So pardon me if I am not crying for him. And this outrage by the basketball intelligentsia, most of whom raised nary a concern on UNC's academic fraud are showing their hypocrisy.

Again, I think alot of this by some of you is just another "eff you" to Stallings. Nice.

And then there is a message to Pitt. To Pat Gallegher (not the Chancellor but the big mouthed trucking tycoon) and Armand Dellavonde and the rest of your ilk, stop being patsies. Start doing what your predecessors did to get top talent to Pitt. Shut up and put your money where your mouths are. There are no more oversight committees anymore.

It has nothing to do with Cam or Stallings and everything to do with Pitt (and other colleges) being out of line trying to limit where a grad transfer can play.

soo reading this, you thought it accurate to use the word "attacks?"

im ok with this new precedent, it's BS for a school to be able to "block" certain schools to be honest, for a kid who has fulfilled all of the educational requirements. and the fact that once again, pitt is the leader in a ruling that will screw them over (see Fitz/McCoy ruling), well that is just our luck..

with all this said, IF he gets his eligibility to play next year, that should be it with these inter-conference blocks. No more of this nonsense. Grad transfers are eligible to transfer to all schools, same conference or not. If Cam gets this then that should be it going forward.. no loop hole BS..

Reactions: FireballZ
It has nothing to do with Cam or Stallings and everything to do with Pitt (and other colleges) being out of line trying to limit where a grad transfer can play.

I understand that. But for some people on these forums, I am thinking it goes more personal than this.

Personally? I don't care. I also don't care if Pitt goes after some 5 star kids and gives someone's dad a made up $100K a year job, gives the kid a Mercedes, etc...I am tired of this "well we do things the right way", crap that sounds alot like Penn State fans.

Reactions: Ski11585

I don't care if the NCAA gets rid of the grad transfer rule or not. But I think Coaches are flat out nuts if they redshirt kids any longer. There is absolutely no benefit to the school especially at the lower levels to redshirt a kid anymore unless there is a real injury.

This Grad Transfer rule is good for the students but on the flip side is a terrible deal for smaller schools in the non Power conferences that spend years developing kids into good players only to see them leave for bigger schools as a senior.

For that reason, I think Redshirts are a total waste on the schools side. I wouldn't redshirt anyone with this rule in place.

I don't care if the NCAA gets rid of the grad transfer rule or not. But I think Coaches are flat out nuts if they redshirt kids any longer. There is absolutely no benefit to the school especially at the lower levels to redshirt a kid anymore unless there is a real injury.

This Grad Transfer rule is good for the students but on the flip side is a terrible deal for smaller schools in the non Power conferences that spend years developing kids into good players only to see them leave for bigger schools as a senior.

For that reason, I think Redshirts are a total waste on the schools side. I wouldn't redshirt anyone with this rule in place.
I am trying to look at this rule as an advantage for lower P5 schools and especially non P5, mid major programs as the over rated kids who go to the big schools and don't get PT, they can leave for smaller schools and get immediate playing time. Instead of this new rule just being a "feeder" system for the big schools..

I mean, in theory, it benefits everyone. in reality, it seems to be pretty much an opportunity for the blue bloods to fill holes in their roster from late bloomers..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT