ADVERTISEMENT

Kellan Stout to Pitt

Good Start
Twitter says he is immediately eligible with 3 years of eligibility? How is that possible?
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Can confirm that KELLAN STOUT will be transferring from Penn State to Pitt and will be immediately eligible</p>&mdash; Stephen Patrick (@stevepatrickSPT) <a href=""
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">He will have 3 years of eligibility left</p>&mdash; Stephen Patrick (@stevepatrickSPT) <a href=""
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He redshirted at PSU & competed one year. You don't have to sit out in wrestling when you transfer. You get a one time exemption.

Reactions: Chaos
He redshirted at PSU & competed one year. You don't have to sit out in wrestling when you transfer. You get a one time exemption.
Thanks for the explanation. Are there a high amount of transfers in wrestling with this rule? I think one Pitt wrestler went to Ohio State, right?

Thanks for the explanation. Are there a high amount of transfers in wrestling with this rule? I think one Pitt wrestler went to Ohio State, right?

Football, baseball, and basketball (I may be forgetting some) are sports that you have to sit a year before you can compete if you transfer. Most of the others you get to transfer once without sitting. The transfer rate isn't as high as say men's basketball for whatever reason

Getting a release allows him to get a scholarship from us. It doesn't affect eligibility.
Unless the rules changed recently, eligibility does depend on the release. When Tom Brands went to Iowa from VAtech, VT refused to release wrestlers to go with Brands to Iowa. They all had to sit one year. That included Metcalf who would have won the NCAA championship that year.

Unless the rules changed recently, eligibility does depend on the release. When Tom Brands went to Iowa from VAtech, VT refused to release wrestlers to go with Brands to Iowa. They all had to sit one year. That included Metcalf who would have won the NCAA championship that year.

You're actually right about competing in wrestling. I was thinking of football because that's happened before, but that's different because they have to sit anyways.

Unless the rules changed recently, eligibility does depend on the release.

Correct. Athletes can be immediately eligible in all sports except football, men's and women's basketball, men's hockey and baseball (I forgot that one above) but you do still need to get a release from your prior school.

Stout got beaten out this year at PSU. I assume he didn't fit into their future plans. If Saenderson hadn't given him a release, anyone know if that would have reduced PSU's scholarship allotment even if he had transferred and paid his own way at Pitt?

The amazing thing is that although Brands took his entire first recruiting class with him, VT hasn't missed a beat.

Stout got beaten out this year at PSU. I assume he didn't fit into their future plans. If Saenderson hadn't given him a release, anyone know if that would have reduced PSU's scholarship allotment even if he had transferred and paid his own way at Pitt?
I am not sure what you mean stout got beat out this year and that he didn't fit in
Comical how you put crap out there that isn't true
You know nothing of why he transfered

I am not sure what you mean stout got beat out this year and that he didn't fit in
Comical how you put crap out there that isn't true
You know nothing of why he transfered

I know what he said. In the P-G, he said that he didn't want to sit for another year at PSU, which has starters returning at 184 and 197. He talked about all the talent they have at those two weight classes and said "I didnt want to sit another year."

Perhaps you could try reading it and not make a total ass of yourself. Do you think Saenderson would have given him a release if he fit into their plans? He has refused to give a release to their one of their lightweight wrestlers to transfer to Rutgers because the kid was expected to start for PSU.

I know what he said. In the P-G, he said that he didn't want to sit for another year at PSU, which has starters returning at 184 and 197. He talked about all the talent they have at those two weight classes and said "I didnt want to sit another year."

Perhaps you could try reading it and not make a total ass of yourself. Do you think Saenderson would have given him a release if he fit into their plans? He has refused to give a release to their one of their lightweight wrestlers to transfer to Rutgers because the kid was expected to start for PSU.
Suriano was #2 ranked last year when he got hurt. He would be expected to make the finals this year. Cael cannot release him to another big ten school. If Suriano wanted to go to a non big ten school he would have his release. Big 10 rules mandate sitting out the year if transfer is within the Big 10.

Actually, Cael initially implied he wouldn't grant him a release period. Even with all they have coming back, he had no replacement on the roster for him and no recruit who can wrestle at that weight class. He has Teasdale coming in next year, but that doesn't help. He was concerned that without him, Ohio State could seriously challenge them for the NCAA title.

But, on August 8, after Suriano made it clear he wasn't returning, Saenderson ended up granting him a release to go to Rutgers. However, as you note, he won't be able to wrestle there this year unless the conference grants him a waiver, and PSU said it won't support the waiver request.

It will be interesting to see what PSU does at 125. You always can move a smaller wrestler up a weight, but it is going to be harder to get a bigger wrestler down to 125. All they have on the roster at 125 are 4 walk-ons, none of whom has wrestled a varsity match and all of whom had losing records last year wrestling in open competition. They also have to replace their 133 and 141 pounders, although they redshirted two scholarship athletes last year who likely can wrestle there. But, once they get to 149, they are absolutely loaded.

Ive heard form a good source that Suriano is actually going to sit out this year and not wrestle anywhere because they couldn't work out the waiver issue for the Big10 rule that would cause him to lose a year.

Ive heard form a good source that Suriano is actually going to sit out this year and not wrestle anywhere because they couldn't work out the waiver issue for the Big10 rule that would cause him to lose a year.
The last thing I have heard is that he is going to stay at PSU. According to PSU sources.

There are also rumors that he may end up at Rider or Hofstra. It will play out soon enough. Ohio State is going to be an excellent team. This will be an interesting year, no doubt.

He's not staying at PSU. The press release they sent out on August 8 specifically says his scholarship was terminated and he was granted a release to go to Rutgers, but won't be eligible to wrestle there this year. I have heard Rutgers would not be opposed to him going to Rider and wrestling this year, then transferring to Rutgers next year. But, it would be shocking if he were to go back to PSU. Saenderson practically camped out in front of his home for a week trying to get him to change his mind and couldn't.

Why not Pitt? He was homesick, and he didn't like the PSU campus. We are further from his home than PSU is. He could have transferred anywhere other than the Big Ten and wrestled this year. But, he wants to be in NJ.

ADVERTISEMENT