ADVERTISEMENT

Kene Chukwuka to return

Now the young man had better get to work.

I'm glad he is staying. We need bodies. And if Coach Capel is fine with him staying, I am fine with him staying.

Hopefully he was misused last year. I never want to see him set foot outside foul line extended. Rather go body up, grab boards, set screens, and pick and roll.

Yeah, I got sick of announcers saying he can shoot the three only to watch him shoot and miss all but about 5 all season.

I want him to hit the weights, get stronger, and rebound next season. Throw in being the pain in the butt agitator and would be best used.

Reactions: Chescat
Welcome back!
E1020989_2.jpg

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

We now have 11 schollies being used (if I'm counting right). There are two openings for 2018. As long as we use the two for grad transfers, we still will have four for 2019. That's the least we will have, because there could easily be some defections after that. George and Iggy could be asked to leave after next year..
It'll be interesting to see if Kene shows improvement this year. As other posters have said, he needs to get stronger, stay away from chucking up threes, and become a defensive and rebounding force. Right now our inside presence is Browne, Stevenson, and Kene. If we have
to resort to Iggy and George as backups to these three, we'll really struggle inside. I realize
that Frame could possibly help but I'd rather have him outside.

Well, it is up to HCJC to recruit at least one serviceable big at this point. If he is able to pull it off, 3 ACC wins could be in sight. You have to start somewhere.

Well, it is up to HCJC to recruit at least one serviceable big at this point. If he is able to pull it off, 3 ACC wins could be in sight. You have to start somewhere.
3 is already in sight. Do you know how hard it is to win 0? Basically need 0 talent AND a 0 coach. We already have more talent and a better coach. Maybe we only win 2, but very good chance we win 3 or 4, even if there is nothing else added.

Reactions: below0w
3 is already in sight. Do you know how hard it is to win 0? Basically need 0 talent AND a 0 coach. We already have more talent and a better coach. Maybe we only win 2, but very good chance we win 3 or 4, even if there is nothing else added.

Ellison helps a good deal too.

Much rather lose Stewart & pick up him.

Same with losing Carr for the new PG’s/combo guards Capel is getting.

3 is already in sight.

I hope you are correct, but from the "starting 5" thread I see that Pitt is counting on a lot from last year's roster, and I am of the opinion that Pitt was no where close to competitive with that group. I felt opponents were using the Pitt game as JV scrimmage which made it seem a little more competitive than what it appeared. It will be very interesting to see the effects of this staff's coaching ability/style.

Homework for Kene:

1. Weight room
2. Watch old videos of Dennis Rodman and do what he did (before all the piercings and wedding dress).
It would be useful for alot of today's inside players to watch film of the "old school" guys especially those inside guys who were't real big but were really effective.
But on second thought if they did what those guys did to stay alive inside they'd probably be charged with assault?

fyi- Rodman played some exhibition basketball with the dress and was still good. Kinda looked like a taller, black, version of Klinger from Mash?

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Myself, I think he worked hard and was unselfish. Not that skilled, but can give you a few good minutes of effort.

Last edited:
Toree Morris, Gary McGhee, Yuri Demetris, John DeGroat and Dante Taylor were all players who played a role a lot like Kene Chukwuka. The funny thing is Kene is put down worst than the others I name!?!?!?

Toree Morris, Gary McGhee, Yuri Demetris, John DeGroat and Dante Taylor were all players who played a role a lot like Kene Chukwuka. The funny thing is Kene is put down worst than the others I name!?!?!?

I actually think Gary McGhee was a good starter at center. He's still playing in Greece. Didn't score much but could defend and rebound. I'd love to have another guy that good as a big.

Homework for Kene:

1. Weight room
2. Watch old videos of Dennis Rodman and do what he did (before all the piercings and wedding dress).

He did it all just as well when he was the ultimate weirdo. He had the piercings and the dress and the green hair and was averaging 17rpg in the NBA...

...and he paved the way for Trump to meet with Rocket Man, a true foreign policy player !

Last edited:
I actually think Gary McGhee was a good starter at center. He's still playing in Greece. Didn't score much but could defend and rebound. I'd love to have another guy that good as a big.

I agree about Gary McGhee, he was one tough hombre. Not the most skilled offensively,
but a very good rebounder and strong defensive player. A player like that would be great for
this team, but I'm not sure one is available. Browne would undoubtedly do much better if
he could go against a McGhee type on a daily basis at practice.

Reactions: Pitt79
McGhee career avg was 4.5 pts and 4.7 rebs. His last 2 years he avg 6.9 pts and 7.2 he also played 24 mins a game. Who's to say Kene can't improve like that too? With Capel at HC he may turn out to be a 7 pt and 5 reb player.

Reactions: Parkview57
McGhee career avg was 4.5 pts and 4.7 rebs. His last 2 years he avg 6.9 pts and 7.2 he also played 24 mins a game. Who's to say Kene can't improve like that too? With Capel at HC he may turn out to be a 7 pt and 5 reb player.
McGhee added an inside presence his last two yrs and was strong as an ox , Chewie will never be that strong even if he lives in the weight room .

McGhee and Taylor do not belong on that list. Both were orders of magnitude better than the others you listed and both are virtually guaranteed to be better than Kene unless he shows massive improvement.

He did it all just as well when he was the ultimate weirdo. He had the piercings and the dress and the green hair and was averaging 17rpg in the NBA...

...and he paved the way for Trump to meet with Rocket Man, a true foreign policy player !

Interesting guy to say the least...lol

No. And it isn't even up for debate.

Reactions: BFo8
I have no issue having a long guy with energy in our bench .

If he ever leaves the painter area on offense and drifts to the 3 point line he should be immediately benched

He will and he won't.

His biggest contribution to this team will be to provide another 3 point threat. 3-5 rebounds are probably all you are going to get out of him. Hopefully, a Pittsnoggle type of player.

He has to transfer what he did in practice last year to games. If he can't, don't worry about the bench part cause he won't be playing. That said I don't see it happening and can't say I am thrilled he is returning.

He will and he won't.

His biggest contribution to this team will be to provide another 3 point threat. 3-5 rebounds are probably all you are going to get out of him. Hopefully, a Pittsnoggle type of player.

He has to transfer what he did in practice last year to games. If he can't, don't worry about the bench part cause he won't be playing. That said I don't see it happening and can't say I am thrilled he is returning.
He’s not a 3 point threat.

0.191 last year.

I doubt every report about practice from that awful coaching staff.

McGhee added an inside presence his last two yrs and was strong as an ox , Chewie will never be that strong even if he lives in the weight room .
Yeah, it wasn't just measured in his numbers, he was just tough and outmuscled people, and 7rpg in the BE is not that bad.

He’s not a 3 point threat.

0.191 last year.

I doubt every report about practice from that awful coaching staff.

He wasn't recruited to Pitt because of his stellar defense and rebounding. You do understand don't you.

I have no reason not to believe he shot well in practice. The beat writers even mentioned it and I'm guessing Capel is thinking along the same lines and will give him a chance to redeem himself.

I'd rather show him the door than try to make him into something he's not.

He wasn't recruited to Pitt because of his stellar defense and rebounding. You do understand don't you.

I have no reason not to believe he shot well in practice. The beat writers even mentioned it and I'm guessing Capel is thinking along the same lines and will give him a chance to redeem himself.

I'd rather show him the door than try to make him into something he's not.
He was recruited to Pitt because no one else wanted him and Stallings and staff were awful recruiters. You do understand that, don't you?

Reactions: Haydman and Chescat
Care to elaborate oh wise one why Capel decided to keep him on? Did he double down on ineptitude?

IMO he kept them because he was showing a positive front and thinking of the players welfare. My impression of him is he's a good man and wasn't going to throw these guys out on their collective asses. He seems to be a "player first" type of coach.
With that said, I also believe he was realistic in his individual talks with each of them. He
undoubtedly told them of his goals in recruiting and what their chances would be if they
stayed. Here's an example that will meet with some disagreement on here LOL..... "Parker, I would like you to stay here at Pitt with the program. I coached against you when I was at Duke, and have watched you on film, and also working out here since I arrived. You have decent shooting skills, and displayed those skills this past season. My expectations are that you will have to develop a complete floor game offensively. You also will have to learn how to defend if you expect to see playing time in the future.
So, I'd like you to stay, but you needed to hear my expectations?....Any questions?"

I can just imagine what he said to Iggy, George, and Chuka....LOL. Whatever it was they decided to stay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Atlanta Panther
I can just imagine what he said to Iggy, George, and Chuka

" I have great respect for your effort from last year. It is really tough to see your coach leave and have to start all over. I am telling each player the same thing, with this change, I want you to explore your options and do what is best for yourself. You are more than welcome to stay here with us and work on your game. Our staff is committed to using all of our knowledge and resources to make you the best player you can be. As a staff we will be recruiting hard to get players of All-ACC caliber to come in and compete for playing time. Once the official start date of the season begins our focus will turn from individual needs to 100% team success and will dictate playing time. If you decide to stay with Pitt this year, I know that with the staff working with you that you will be a better player come April 15, 2019. At that point, with the season done we can sit down and evaluate your situation again. If you feel the need to move on I will do everything in my power to aid you on making the transition to your next school. Loyalty to men that have played for me is important to me, and I feel confident that even if you decide to exit next year, with out staff's contacts, you will be in a real good spot to do so."

There is no reason to run them out now.

Right. I mean it's not like Capel gets some bonus on his contract if he leaves scholarships unfilled. The choice isn't between Chukwuka or George or Ilegomah and some recruit. It's between Chukwuka or George or Ilegomah and one or two or three empty scholarships.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Right. I mean it's not like Capel gets some bonus on his contract if he leaves scholarships unfilled. The choice isn't between Chukwuka or George or Ilegomah and some recruit. It's between Chukwuka or George or Ilegomah and one or two or three empty scholarships.
As it was with KS last yr !

As it was with KS last yr !

The difference being that KS intentionally moved on (or caused to move on) players that were as good or better better in several cases than what he was able to recruit to fill their spots. Capel isn't doing this. He hasn't landed a player yet who isn't clearly potentially a lot better than any player who left.

It also appears certain he won't be filling the two remaining open 2018 slots with "flotsam and jetsam" like KS did. IMHO, he will either fill them with 1 year grad transfers for immediate help and who won't impact available 2019 class ships or leave them open entirely--except, of course, if he can land one or two of the very few remaining top 150-ish 2018 recruits still available.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT