ADVERTISEMENT

Kenny in the media

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
I get a pretty large sampling every week of Pittsburgh media’s feelings toward Pickett.

Most of the guys on The Fan are either supportive or objective about Kenny. Tenured and respected guys like Savran and Pompiani usually speak pretty favorably.

I don’t count Madden because he’s only looking to stir the pot. Then there’s the idiot hockey writer, Josh Yohe, who is over the top in his criticism of Kenny.

And then there’s this guy…what a jerk.

Kaboly really thinks he's clever and the smartest guy in the room. He's been that way for years and likes to poke at fans. I haven't followed or read him for years because of this.

Reactions: 303vND and Fk_Pitt
Mayfield can play. Not going to win games by himself but if you build a strong offense around him he can get you to the playoffs and win a game or two. Jury is still out on Pickett, maybe in the end he won’t be the guy but his ceiling is a little higher than Mayfield’s.

Pickett has shown he belongs in the league and worth building around, we will find out in the next couple seasons if he’s a franchise QB or not. It seems like it never happened now, but there were strong rumors the Steelers wanted to draft Malik Willis. I’ve seen plenty of young QB’s struggle, but Willis is so bad I doubt he will ever even be a dependable backup guy, let alone a starter. Thank God the Steelers made the right move and drafted Pickett.

I don’t know if KP is the answer or not. But he’s certainly not untouchable or even close. If the Steelers could sign “the guy”, whoever that may be, they should. But Mayfield? Puh lease.
This is what’s most bothersome to me. I don’t know what the main rationale is for it…

I had to block Kaboly on Twitter. It wasn’t even about Pickett. He’s just really annoying.
I almost blocked Yohe the other night during the game. I was like why is this hockey dude digging in so deeply with his anti Kenny takes.

The biggest chode is Adamski from the trib. Steelers beat writer that constantly rips on pitt for absolutely no reason. If madden didn't make playing the heel normalized in Pittsburgh, Adamski should be told by his employer to stay in the Steelers lane. Instead its acceptable in Pittsburgh for the local media to constantly out douche each other daily.

The biggest chode is Adamski from the trib. Steelers beat writer that constantly rips on pitt for absolutely no reason. If madden didn't make playing the heel normalized in Pittsburgh, Adamski should be told by his employer to stay in the Steelers lane. Instead its acceptable in Pittsburgh for the local media to constantly out douche each other daily.
I saw his tweet the other night from the steeler game. It showed a pic of a 2/3 full stadium and him asking if it was a Pitt vs WF game instead of a Steeler game. Honestly that joke is so old and overplayed it doesn’t even phase me. But yet he either wanted to be cool guy with the PSU crowd for tweeting it, or wanted to troll Pitt. Either way it was dumb and fell flat. I’m sure a few took the bait though.

Weird…I had no problem rooting for McSorley last night. And I bet JC has no problem being his teammate, other than he’s terrible.

Reactions: Millerton24
Mayfield can play. Not going to win games by himself but if you build a strong offense around him he can get you to the playoffs and win a game or two. Jury is still out on Pickett, maybe in the end he won’t be the guy but his ceiling is a little higher than Mayfield’s.

Pickett has shown he belongs in the league and worth building around, we will find out in the next couple seasons if he’s a franchise QB or not. It seems like it never happened now, but there were strong rumors the Steelers wanted to draft Malik Willis. I’ve seen plenty of young QB’s struggle, but Willis is so bad I doubt he will ever even be a dependable backup guy, let alone a starter. Thank God the Steelers made the right move and drafted Pickett.
The right move would have been oline or corner

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
I saw his tweet the other night from the steeler game. It showed a pic of a 2/3 full stadium and him asking if it was a Pitt vs WF game instead of a Steeler game. Honestly that joke is so old and overplayed it doesn’t even phase me. But yet he either wanted to be cool guy with the PSU crowd for tweeting it, or wanted to troll Pitt. Either way it was dumb and fell flat. I’m sure a few took the bait though.
Exactly. And what makes it so stupid is true pitt fans...we are harsher on our team than opposing fans could ever be. I always find it funny when other fans try to mix it up verbally with my crew at pitt games. We usually ride pitt harder than they do. I just find these types of comments from the greater Pittsburgh media as kind of pathetic and sad. But when you are a nitter, it's easy to go after the low hanging fruit of attendance. The other thing is I knew adamaski a bit in high school and he never struck me as a douche cult member, but I guess his time at state college indoctrinated him.

Weird…I had no problem rooting for McSorley last night. And I bet JC has no problem being his teammate, other than he’s terrible.

As a local now it struck me off that Trace was going to Play and how successful he would be. But watching the game the kid grew on me and only once in a while when I saw him talking to James did I ever think of the rivalry. Pittsburgh sports writing stinks because the people let it stink and buy products from sponsors.

Exactly. And what makes it so stupid is true pitt fans...we are harsher on our team than opposing fans could ever be. I always find it funny when other fans try to mix it up verbally with my crew at pitt games. We usually ride pitt harder than they do. I just find these types of comments from the greater Pittsburgh media as kind of pathetic and sad. But when you are a nitter, it's easy to go after the low hanging fruit of attendance. The other thing is I knew adamaski a bit in high school and he never struck me as a douche cult member, but I guess his time at state college indoctrinated him.
The nitters need to take a look at their boy Friermuth and the # of drops that he has.

Reactions: FireballZ
This is what’s most bothersome to me. I don’t know what the main rationale is for it…

It is bothersome. I can understand the rationale for it Saturday night given the weather conditions, but this has become a common theme. This isn't just isolated to Saturday night. FWIW, It seemed like it was taboo for the Steelers to attack the second level middle of the field last year too. This isn't something that is rare only since Kenny became the starting QB.

During the steeler game there were weird back and forths between people defending Kenny and people defending Freiermuth. Whether it’s sports or politics, the tribalism and cultism in society is out of control.

My side is 100% good. Your side is 100% bad. Therefore I’m better than you and you’re an ahole! That’s the mentality. And it sucks.

The game last night was completely meaningless. Pitt fans did not tune in to root against McSorley. If anything, they tuned in to watch Conner.
That’s the point of the tweet. I would like to think most people could care less where McSorley went to school. I rooted for him because I wanted the Cards to win. But people are genuinely rooting against Kenny because he went to Pitt.

It is bothersome. I can understand the rationale for it Saturday night given the weather conditions, but this has become a common theme. This isn't just isolated to Saturday night. FWIW, It seemed like it was taboo for the Steelers to attack the second level middle of the field last year too. This isn't something that is rare only since Kenny became the starting QB.
Exactly. We had all of these same complaints last year when Ben was the QB. Canada is universally mocked at this point, and it will be a travesty if he returns.

Yeah for sure. I get it in the games vs the Ravens and Raiders. Games like those often come down to turnovers. Kenny wasn’t good for most of that game and people were bashing him. But the pedigreed guy on the other team was worse. So maybe it was weather. But it becomes really challenging when the defense doesn’t have to defend certain parts of the field. Hopefully the playbook gets expanded in the off-season and more than anything I hope we have an NFL coordinator.

Kenny’s target throw chart likely factors in the limited time provided by the Oline. Its more than Ben had his last two years but less than most teams by what feels like a second or so. Also, im sure Kennys health and the cold temps played a role as well. Interception his first three games has led to a slower rollout of plays and a more conservative approach overall. Just look at MT’s game following his three pics the previous week. VEry conservative.

What i dont understand is why the O coaching staff havent mixed in a few pump fakes to get the safeties and LBs to bite and free up some longer throws.

I just wonder why certain media members have this man crush for trubisky?
Look, Kenny is 5-4 as a starter. He is playing behind a weak o-line, has one of the worst coordinators running a college offense and only has 2 legit NFL receivers.

As far as Madden goes, I tuned him and his wrestling shtick out years ago. Kaboly? I stopped following him, the other guy that will go out of his way to criticize Kenny is Dulac. He tells anybody listening that the Steelers should have traded up to get Jordan Davis.

Oh well, I guess they are all smarter than us L O L

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Look, Kenny is 5-4 as a starter. He is playing behind a weak o-line, has one of the worst coordinators running a college offense and only has 2 legit NFL receivers.

As far as Madden goes, I tuned him and his wrestling shtick out years ago. Kaboly? I stopped following him, the other guy that will go out of his way to criticize Kenny is Dulac. He tells anybody listening that the Steelers should have traded up to get Jordan Davis.

Yeah I think you’re right about Dulac. He has been weirdly critical of Pickett too. And he might turn out to be right. But I have no problem going out and getting your franchise QB if that’s what they thought Kenny would be. As a matter of fact, that’s what you should do. Without saying it, Dulac is probably well aware of the steeler talent evaluation being subpar.

Kenny’s QPR as a rookie is right in line with most of the star QB’s in the league their rookie seasons. Time will tell if he will be the franchise guy. But right now he’s fine. I just wish he’d take some shots down the field and let Pickens make some plays.

Reactions: Chaos
Pickett is and will be exactly what I thought. A good starting QB in the NFL. He isnt going to be Roethlisberger but few teams can find that type of QB. I think he will be an above average QB. The guy is just a rookie and showing good signs. It took Trevor Lawrence 3 seasons and Joe Burrow 2.

Yeah for sure. I get it in the games vs the Ravens and Raiders. Games like those often come down to turnovers. Kenny wasn’t good for most of that game and people were bashing him. But the pedigreed guy on the other team was worse. So maybe it was weather. But it becomes really challenging when the defense doesn’t have to defend certain parts of the field. Hopefully the playbook gets expanded in the off-season and more than anything I hope we have an NFL coordinator.
Yeah, the playbook definitely has to be expanded at some point. I'm just not sure Canada is solely responsible for the overly conservative approach. Perhaps it's a philosophical/staff decision based on personnel and doing what they they feel will give them the best chance to win. I'll give Tomlin credit. It's not pretty, but he got last year's team in the playoffs and this team already has 2 more wins that I thought they would get for 2022.

Reactions: PantherDDS
Pickett is and will be exactly what I thought. A good starting QB in the NFL. He isnt going to be Roethlisberger but few teams can find that type of QB. I think he will be an above average QB. The guy is just a rookie and showing good signs. It took Trevor Lawrence 3 seasons and Joe Burrow 2.
That's about the same way I feel about Pickett.

Trevor is only in year 2, btw.

Especially since Pickens can win 50/50’s. Claypool was a nice target but soured the the play calling with his play. KP’s passes looked crisp given the cold - more than earlier in the year when the passes floated a bit.

That chart is pretty bad. Kenny doesn't push the ball downfield, at all. You can't run an offense without ever throwing it past 20 yards. You can blame Canada, or the O line, but Trubisky was taking chances downfield, so Kenny definitely is part of that issue.

i always thought "Steeler nation" was above letting their college allegiances trump their love for the black and gold. Man, was i wrong.. soo many steeler fans openly root against pickett and actually want him to fail and are upset when he does well and this is from proclaimed Die hard steeler fans..

doesnt take a genius to realize they are mostly psu fans and maybe to a much smaller extent, wvu fans. But it's shocking to me to see these life long steeler fans rooting against their own starting qb. you see it in media too of course with madden, kaboly but to see it from actual steeler fans is crazy to me..

you think that happens anywhere else? You think browns fans would root against their own QB if he was drafted from michigan or michigan state (Assuming the browns fans are tOSU fans)? I dont think so.. Or Cowboys fans rooting against their own QB if he was drafted from Oklahoma? Again, i cant imagine this happening..

i always thought "Steeler nation" was above letting their college allegiances trump their love for the black and gold. Man, was i wrong.. soo many steeler fans openly root against pickett and actually want him to fail and are upset when he does well and this is from proclaimed Die hard steeler fans..

doesnt take a genius to realize they are mostly psu fans and maybe to a much smaller extent, wvu fans. But it's shocking to me to see these life long steeler fans rooting against their own starting qb. you see it in media too of course with madden, kaboly but to see it from actual steeler fans is crazy to me..

you think that happens anywhere else? You think browns fans would root against their own QB if he was drafted from michigan or michigan state (Assuming the browns fans are tOSU fans)? I dont think so.. Or Cowboys fans rooting against their own QB if he was drafted from Oklahoma? Again, i cant imagine this happening..
I saw one media member chastise others saying the last few years they slobbered all over Ben for sucking all game, then with the game on the line, he would pull out the win. Unfortunately this is not good enough for Pickett.

A lot are also arm chair GMs who think they can do a better job in the draft. Some thought Pickett would fall a round or two so they overdrafted him or thought his talent level was the same as Ridder and Willis. Purdy having success with a real offensive coaching staff hasn’t helped either.

The Pickett bickering also has people real quiet on Najee having another so-so season.

Reactions: Chaos and Fk_Pitt
A lot are also arm chair GMs who think they can do a better job in the draft. Some thought Pickett would fall a round or two so they overdrafted him or thought his talent level was the same as Ridder and Willis. Purdy having success with a real offensive coaching staff hasn’t helped either.
yeah but we've made a lot of questionable first rd decisions and they've never faced this much criticism. 99% of steeler fans love Naj and he was a reach and well so far, doesnt even stand up to producing as a first rd pick should. yet he's still beloved despite averaging about 55 yards rushing per game..

guys like Edmunds, burns, jarvis jones, Bud Dupree werent criticized nearly as much and again, they all fell short.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I don’t live in Pittsburgh so I don’t see or hear it, but could it be some of these local sports goofs aren’t attacking Pickett because he went to Pitt but because he’s the man who dared replace their beloved Roethlisberger?

• Wow
Reactions: Chaos

Dulac is a Nitter.

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
I don’t live in Pittsburgh so I don’t see or hear it, but could it be some of these local sports goofs aren’t attacking Pickett because he went to Pitt but because he’s the man who dared replace their beloved Roethlisberger?
not sure, good question though. seems like Trebisky got some leeway though.

Maybe it's because we all kind of knew Mitch T was ok and wouldnt be a game changer but Kenny has that "first rd" scarlet letter so he is held too a much higher standard..

Reactions: Chaos and BFo8
I don’t think I gathered that from a single person, fan or media.

not sure, good question though. seems like Trebisky got some leeway though.

Maybe it's because we all kind of knew Mitch T was ok and wouldnt be a game changer but Kenny has that "first rd" scarlet letter so he is held too a much higher standard..
I don’t see much of the trubisky love. I think most see him as nothing more than minimally better than Pickett at this point, if at all.

I just laugh at Madden though. I might tune the guy on once per month. If that. And I k ow enough about him to know that he finds the Tomlin non losing record streak as the stupidest thing in sports. Then recently he started asking his callers if Mitch should start. What would be the point of starting Trubisky in his eyes when the only thing to gain would have been a 9-8 record?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT