ADVERTISEMENT

Kenny Pickett Appreciation Thread

Gunga_Galunga

Heisman Candidate
Jan 12, 2017
Always liked Pickett. When I've been critical it was about his decision making. Well, it's been outstanding so far this year. OL has given him time and he's performing surgery. His deep balls have been beauties.

Shout out to Whipple too. He's done a fine job with Kenny. Keep it going.

I'm as proud of Kenny as Palko was of his football team at South Bend.

He was magical in his first start against #2 Miami; continued to work hard and learn from several OCs; didn't let ego get in the way of his decision to come back this season; believed in Whipple and what he was teaching him.

I'm glad Kenny chose Pitt.

Hopefully a really good HS QB notices the success he's having this year and chooses Pitt too.

He’s amazing. What a great qb.

He’s also all we have because we don’t have a running game and haven’t for years

Reactions: chirurgo
Biggest difference to me is how comfortable and confidently he's throwing the deep ball. Just laying it in there with the WR in full stride.

His TD to Addison yesterday was one of his best deep throws ever. Kenny has usually thrown a mediocre deep ball in my opinion, often forcing wrs to slow up to make a catch. The bomb to Addison yesterday was a thing of beauty as he perfectly lead Jordan and allowed Addison to run to the ball while increasing his separation from the DB

#2 in passer rating and TDs. Shame that Pitt FINALLY has the QB and they crapped it all away against WMU.

#2 in passer rating and TDs. Shame that Pitt FINALLY has the QB and they crapped it all away against WMU.
What did they crap away other than an undefeated season?

Perception, maybe. But I'd counter that the perception of Pitt wasn't that great considering they weren't ranked.

So, what did they crap away?

What did they crap away other than an undefeated season?

Perception, maybe. But I'd counter that the perception of Pitt wasn't that great considering they weren't ranked.

So, what did they crap away?

Having a great 10+ win regular season.

In the past years, I always thought his TD pass % was really low compared to his pass attempts, this year he's killing it, more TD passes (15) than any previous season, and only 1 INT in only 4 games.

Reactions: Clarion86

Two weeks ago Kentucky was just behind us in the others receiving votes in the coaches poll and was tied with us in the AP poll. Since then Kentucky has beaten UT-Chattanooga by five points in a game that they were losing in the 4th quarter and they beat South Carolina by six points yesterday. In the just released Coaches Poll Kentucky is ranked 23rd.

In other words, had Pitt not blown that game last week the perception of Pitt right now would be that we were a top 25 team. Because we would actually be in the top 25, at least in the Coaches Poll.

As it is, 47 teams got at least one vote in that poll this week, and we weren't one of them. So if you can't see how that game has changed the perception of Pitt, well, I don't know what to say to that because it is so obviously wrong.

Reactions: Parkview57
Two weeks ago Kentucky was just behind us in the others receiving votes in the coaches poll and was tied with us in the AP poll. Since then Kentucky has beaten UT-Chattanooga by five points in a game that they were losing in the 4th quarter and they beat South Carolina by six points yesterday. In the just released Coaches Poll Kentucky is ranked 23rd.

In other words, had Pitt not blown that game last week the perception of Pitt right now would be that we were a top 25 team. Because we would actually be in the top 25, at least in the Coaches Poll.

As it is, 47 teams got at least one vote in that poll this week, and we weren't one of them. So if you can't see how that game has changed the perception of Pitt, well, I don't know what to say to that because it is so obviously wrong.
I see your point, but I was referring to the "crapping away" comment. Crapping away implies that it is gone, and not coming back. I offer that the season is too early to have "crapped away" anything that Pitt might achieve, because if they continue to win, they still have the opportunity to be ranked, and have a great season.

So, if you're arguing that they "crapped away" a chance to be in the Top 25 this week, I'll give you that, and agree. I, however, was looking at it from a full season perspective based on what most thought Pitt would achieve.

"Crapped away" to me means it isn't coming back, and I don't think Pitt's season is crapped away.

The WMU loss sucked, no question about it. However, I'm willing to let the season play out before before claiming the coach should be fired and the season is over. We'll find out soon enough if the defensive performance was an aberration or reality.

We have a QB playing great. I'll take my chances that the defense improves.

The WMU loss sucked, no question about it. However, I'm willing to let the season play out before before claiming the coach should be fired and the season is over. We'll find out soon enough if the defensive performance was an aberration or reality.

This.

I don't think the defense is nearly as bad as their performance against WMU, but at the same time, I don't think it's very good. The Tennessee game was also alarming. I also think it will improve.

This is a rather weak QB draft. There aren’t any guys that have really solidified themselves as Top 10 picks. The door is open. It would be a wonderful story if Pickett led us to 9 or more wins and became a 1st round pick.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Lol at the previous poster. KP has been throwing bombs for 4.5 years bro cheese.

Kenny has not thrown the deep ball in previous years nearly as well as he is now throwing it. He threw behind the receivers quite a bit over the years. Not seeing that at all this year.

I posted a comment a few games ago about how much it looked like Kenny has improved on and off the field. How he was looking much more like a perfectionist, similar to the way Peterman changed in his final year.

Kenny used to come across more defensive in previous years, especially with the media. This year, he apparently realized it isn’t about “trying to act the part,” it’s about getting a little better every day at those things that he had struggled to do at a high level - the things keeping him from getting to the NFL.

This is not the same Kenny we saw in previous years. Sure, he had poise and confidence the last two + years, This year he is quicker and better with progression reads. Quicker at getting the ball out of his hand. Better at deciding when to tuck and run… and better with timing and hitting WRs in stride.

It helps that he has more talented receivers (including two big TEs with soft hands) running better routes, getting better separation and catching more balls. Still, this is the first year Kenny doesn’t just look like a QB with potential - he looks like “the complete package” who could go in the top two rounds of the draft if he keeps it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: ratking17

Yeah. PN does deserves criticism for the loss to WMU. It would even be fair to question if he deserves another year, should he falll short of 9 wins this season.

Still, one loss does not a season make and I think it is unfair to be calling for him to be fired at this early stage of the season: With how well Kenny and the receivers have been playing, we still seem to have a shot at 9 (or even 10 wins). It could. It could become a more realistic shot, if the defense can keep getting a little better and Izzy can become a bigger factor in the running game.

Always liked Pickett. When I've been critical it was about his decision making. Well, it's been outstanding so far this year. OL has given him time and he's performing surgery. His deep balls have been beauties.

Shout out to Whipple too. He's done a fine job with Kenny. Keep it going.
I was critical of some of his poor decision making, his telegraphing passes and throwing behind receivers in previous years- not seeing many of those things at all this year. He did have two bad decisions in the WMU game (which he owned up to doing) but he really has looked quite special out there. He is finally living up to the lofty hype he has been given for years by the coaches. There is a difference between having confidence (which he had last year) and having confidence with maturity (which he has this year. When you have both along with the tools to be very good, look out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT