ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Warren discusses expansion for BIG

ThePanthers

Head Coach
May 4, 2009
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...something-we’re-doing/yhkdudzkguta6y6e4j5nqbsb

Kevin Warren sat down with Mike DeCourcy and they discussed possible BIG expansion. Warren pretty much said they are focusing on integrating UCLA/USC, and it's not a priority right now, but does feel when the time is right, whether it's a year, 5 year, 7 years, he can definitely see some conferences being 18 to 20 schools.

IMO, and I saw this also mentioned by Bob Thompson (former FOX Sports prez) and Jon Wilner (guy who broke USC/UCLA) that there are some BIG presidents/leaders that dont want to grow past what they have now and see it as devaluing the conference. That Warren doesn't have the votes within or the support/financial clout from the TV partners to go bigger right now or in the near future. That unless it's ND, there isn't schools out there that will add the financial resources to make the existing schools more money.

Personally, I still think there are some ACC schools on the list that Warren wants to pluck, and he just needs time for the GOR to age, and honestly, if it was up to him, he'd go to 24 or so schools, but we'll see what his presidents/ADs want or if the networks have the appetite to go bigger.

One other thing that was mentioned was that if new partners like Amazon jump aboard and go all in, they are going to be left with games like Rutgers vs Minny, or Illinois vs Indiana to show on a 100% streaming platform.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/big-ten-commissioner-kevin-warren-expansion-not-something-we’re-doing/yhkdudzkguta6y6e4j5nqbsb

Kevin Warren sat down with Mike DeCourcy and they discussed possible BIG expansion. Warren pretty much said they are focusing on integrating UCLA/USC, and it's not a priority right now, but does feel when the time is right, whether it's a year, 5 year, 7 years, he can definitely see some conferences being 18 to 20 schools.

IMO, and I saw this also mentioned by Bob Thompson (former FOX Sports prez) and Jon Wilner (guy who broke USC/UCLA) that there are some BIG presidents/leaders that dont want to grow past what they have now and see it as devaluing the conference. That Warren doesn't have the votes within or the support/financial clout from the TV partners to go bigger right now or in the near future. That unless it's ND, there isn't schools out there that will add the financial resources to make the existing schools more money.

Personally, I still think there are some ACC schools on the list that Warren wants to pluck, and he just needs time for the GOR to age, and honestly, if it was up to him, he'd go to 24 or so schools, but we'll see what his presidents/ADs want or if the networks have the appetite to go bigger.

One other thing that was mentioned was that if new partners like Amazon jump aboard and go all in, they are going to be left with games like Rutgers vs Minny, or Illinois vs Indiana to show on a 100% streaming platform.
Nothing earth-shattering. The next big shakeup is when the GOR for the ACC expire. The Big Ten and SEC will fight over UNC, FSU, Clemson, etc.

BTW, I thought it was funny that Jim Phillips thanked Raycom at the bball presser for allowing the women's basketball and baseball tournaments to be on ACCN. I forgot that they weren't. How is 2022 and Raycom is still an ACC partner? I mean, I know, but I am asking rhetorically.

Nothing earth-shattering. The next big shakeup is when the GOR for the ACC expire. The Big Ten and SEC will fight over UNC, FSU, Clemson, etc.

BTW, I thought it was funny that Jim Phillips thanked Raycom at the bball presser for allowing the women's basketball and baseball tournaments to be on ACCN. I forgot that they weren't. How is 2022 and Raycom is still an ACC partner? I mean, I know, but I am asking rhetorically.
The ACC is still a network of Good Ole Boys, that's why Raycom is around.

Will anyone even want Clemson when the GOR expires? They're going to fall hard once Dabo leaves for A&M, Texas, or Oklahoma.

Will anyone even want Clemson when the GOR expires? They're going to fall hard once Dabo leaves for A&M, Texas, or Oklahoma.
The Big Ten will. The state of South Carolina + a piece of the Charlotte market is worth something. The SEC wouldn't but would take them to keep the Big Ten out

The NE will not be left out of the picture. Too many dense cities and viewers
But there really ain't many schools that play big time football. Alot of this original expansion designed to capture large populations (aka "eyeballs") for selling their cable network is now not just outdated a bit, but it also has been proven mostly a bust. I don't care if there are 5 million people in Massachusetts and New Hampshire, BC would not bring more viewers and interest than West Virginia or Mississippi.

Nah, Dabo is gonna wait until the Bama job opens up. That’s why Clemson included a special buyout penalty if he leaves early to take the job.

ADVERTISEMENT