ADVERTISEMENT

Knockout rounds thread

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
I know playing Argentina would be sexy, but so would a semifinal appearance vs various opponents should we get there. So as I get ready to watch the 2nd half of these games, I’m rooting for Poland.

Oh boi! KSA crushes the Mexican hopes with a late goal.

The ancestral motherland #1 makes it through

It's better that they scored. Because if they hadn't Mexico was going out of the tournament because their players got seven yellow cards and Poland's players only got five.

Yes, they would have been out on the fair play tiebreaker.

BTW, Tata Martino is out already with Mexico. He said his contract expired at the end of the tournament, but even if it didn't he probably wouldn't have lasted past tomorrow.

Japan have been my dark horse, I'm so fired up. I back them against croatia

Japan have been my dark horse, I'm so fired up. I back them against croatia
Hot dawg, they're the giant killers of the tourney and it ain't even close. That 2-0 friendly loss doesn't seem like an outrageous result now.

Reactions: 121rum
Hot dawg, they're the giant killers of the tourney and it ain't even close. That 2-0 friendly loss doesn't seem like an outrageous result now.
They are loaded with talent and Croatia hasn't been impressive and looked slow. I was conflicted because outside the US obviously I was rooting for them and Germany

BTW, Tata Martino is out already with Mexico. He said his contract expired at the end of the tournament, but even if it didn't he probably wouldn't have lasted past tomorrow.
I'm shocked he made it to the WC. I figured he would have been given his walking papers after getting only 1 point in the previous 4 competitive matches against the U.S. in 2021-22.

They are loaded with talent and Croatia hasn't been impressive and looked slow. I was conflicted because outside the US obviously I was rooting for them and Germany
Croatia is old but very experienced. After the U.S. it's Poland and was Germany for me.

I'm shocked he made it to the WC. I figured he would have been given his walking papers after getting only 1 point in the previous 4 competitive matches against the U.S. in 2021-22.
He said he was done the second the final whistle blew. Wow.

The ancestral motherland #1 makes it through
Is it true that Mexico never got a chance to wear that beautiful home uniform of theirs? Talk about a waste. In a lackluster World Cup for kits, Mexico’s white was sharp

Man I made a comment about Spain last week being just the kind of team that could win this thing because no one is talking about them. And then there’s this…

Man I made a comment about Spain last week being just the kind of team that could win this thing because no one is talking about them. And then there’s this…

While that is true, that is also just plain old dumb luck. They most certainly did not do that on purpose. If they did, they are idiots. There was a time this afternoon well into the second half, admittedly brief, where if the games ended the way they were at that point they would have been out.

You play with fire like that and you are going to get burned.

While that is true, that is also just plain old dumb luck. They most certainly did not do that on purpose. If they did, they are idiots. There was a time this afternoon well into the second half, admittedly brief, where if the games ended the way they were at that point they would have been out.

You play with fire like that and you are going to get burned.
You’re right, but it does take a lot of luck to win something like the World Cup.

Weren’t there like 0 cases of the flu last year?

Weren’t there like 0 cases of the flu last year?

De Jong being out would be crazy, outside of their CB's, him and gakpo our talent levels are very comparable. In fact we might even have the advantage. Also the key for us this tournament so far has been our midfield dominating physically, saturday could be very interesting.

De Jong being out would be crazy, outside of their CB's, him and gakpo our talent levels are very comparable. In fact we might even have the advantage. Also the key for us this tournament so far has been our midfield dominating physically, saturday could be very interesting.
Yeah I think you nailed it. But I think De Jong can be neutralized by our midfield who took Rice and Bellingham out of the England match. Gakpo is my biggest concern. The way he moves from front line position to position makes him tough to track and our back line CB tandem doesn’t have great experience together. Hopefully we can shut him down.

Reactions: 121rum
Serbia is down 3-2 needing a win at the 67th minute and they are absolutely melting down. They were appealing for a penalty (which it absolutely was not) and didn't get it. Half of their team is walking out on the field bitching at the ref. The ref gave at least one of them a yellow card. The players on the pitch are trying to get their pissed off teammates to get off the field so they can get on with the game. And probably because they were closer to the play they knew that it wasn't actually a penalty, so there was no reason to get so upset.

Mbappe is unreal.
This is what a world class finisher looks like. If the US had someone with even half of Mbappe they would have been dangerous. If Belgium had a fit Lukaku they would have been more dangerous. You have to have for healthy players and a top notch goal scorer. You cannot survive the World Cup without the complete package.

It was mentioned on Twitter that she is a Pitt grad. Can anyone confirm?

Or Vini jr. Drew the keeper out and above Ans between 2 defenders

What a cowardly effort by Spain in the shootout. Lazy effort led to them losing. Good, they deserve to be ousted.

That was great keeping by Morocco; keep reading their eyes. What a fold by Spain. Manager is likely toast

That was great keeping by Morocco; keep reading their eyes. What a fold by Spain. Manager is likely toast
Spain manager? He’s world class and is over qualified for international soccer. If he’s toast, USA need to be on the phone with him asap!!!

Portugal is quietly one of the most complete teams.
Yeah I slept on them coming into the tourney. Then I saw their starting 11 and it looked like a dream team. They had freaking R. Leao and Ronaldo off the bench today in a knockout match. That’s crazy.

• Love
Reactions: Allan McMurray
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT