ADVERTISEMENT

Knowing Pitts history, would you rather replace Watson or keep him?

ratking17

Head Coach
Mar 15, 2009
Most on here, possibly even me, are completely underwhelmed by Watson as OC. But I am not sure having a 4th offensive coordinator in 4 years is healthy as well. Plus with Pitts history of not paying too assistants we would need to have a matt Canada situation.

So do you keep or replace Watson if the decision was your and why?

Reactions: pittmeister
I cant imagine wanting him back but if we cant do better, and we probably cant, just keep him. what difference does it make. If we can him, we'll bring in another retread cast off...

Last edited:
I personally don't want him back, but I think that he will be back.

I am trying to stay positive. Maybe with Pickett at the helm next year he will be able to be more creative with that plays and play calling. I think Dinucci (can't throw, happy feet) and Browne (can't move) really limited his options this year.

Consistency is the only reason to keep him. Unless you can get a young up and comer who can recruit.

I think it all comes down to what they are willing to spend. If it's 500 keep him so you aren't changing OC again because chances are you won't do significantly better. If they are willing to step up you fire him because frankly he is average at best. Not all of its on Watson he is running the Canada playbook with small changes. Its not his offense which makes a tough job tougher

Reactions: Farnox
Of course I keep him and here is why:
  1. Our QB's stunk from day one. Now you can argue Pickett should have been in from day one, but that was neither realistic nor practical. He should have played more, but you cant spin gold out of straw.
  2. For whatever reason, our O line never became a strength and was more often a weakness. Call whatever play you want, but if you don't block, it don't matter.
  3. Our WR corps was weak to begin with but we lose a starter to injury in camp, Weah has been hot or cold and our tight ends are nowhere near the quality we had last year or were asked to stay in and block.
  4. Replace JC. Tough task.
  5. Lose Aston....good ness, what a loss that turned out to be.
  6. The slump of Henderson. When a guy takes it to the house as often as Henderson did in 2016, the O wins by default. Henderson scored two fewer TD's this year, lost 5 yards per kickoff and 3.5 yards per punt return and has fewer receptions than in 2016.
Great players can make coordinators look smart. Bad players just the opposite.

I suppose I am in the minority here. Our players last year were much better.

It depends on if Patti will stay committed to us if we fire Watson. If Patti decides to leave the class, then no, I don't fire Watson. Not that Patti is the next Aaron Rodgers or anything but we need to add more QB depth badly and if we had to scramble and find another Dinucci type that would suck.

Replace, and replace with a young fresh mind.

Big fan of Kasper from PR, but would be ok with somebody else.

For those claiming consistency is the only reason... we’ll perhaps but Pitt has been in such dire need of that single aspect you gotta think it weighs far more heavily in the decision making... I remember people being underwhelmed by Chaney who seems to be just fine at UGA now... same with Chyrst.... I’m a little damn tired of constant upheaval which hurts recruiting and constantly rebuilding the wheel... turnover at Pitt Right now is going to be more negative than positive and you can just about Bank on it....it’s like watching people bitch about the Stillers OC after he scores 40!last Thursday

Reactions: Saboteur
His career isn't that impressive but he deserves a shot here with a better quarterback than DiNucci. I think it was the youngest offense in the ACC fwiw (or second and became the youngest once Browne went down.)

The running game had a slow start but at least improved. The numbers now actually are pretty good for some of our runners:
- Hall 5.1 YPC
- Ollison 4.4
- Henderson 7.1
- Whitehead 6.5

Team numbers lower due to sacks etc.

On the defensive side, we went from giving up 37.6 points a game last year to 28.4 this year. If we can get that down to around 24 we should be back in a bowl and pointlessly getting our hopes up for a big 2019 to have them destroyed in the last minute on a muffed punt return or something.

Reactions: PittMan2003
I am as unimpressed with Watson as everyone, but unless they somehow have a can't-miss stud magically in their pocket that will undoubtedly take the job, you have to stick with Watson for another year.

But on the other hand.....there will be an extraordinary number of coaching staffs available from programs far better than ours

Someone with upside who has been recruiting players that wouldnt even sniff pitt?

I can’t believe there is 1 person who wants him back. If Narduzzi keeps him, Pitt is looking at 2 straight poor seasons, and then Narduzzi’s seat is blazing hot.

I can’t believe there is 1 person who wants him back. If Narduzzi keeps him, Pitt is looking at 2 straight poor seasons, and then Narduzzi’s seat is blazing hot.

I can't believe fans want him gone. You guys blow my mind when you want to drop/add players and staff like Pitt is your fantasy team.

The guy was asked to run someone else's offense the year after Pitt has four players go in the draft on the offense. Team goes back to fourth youngest in P5 and now we're going to inject a coaching shuffle.

Great call.

1. Wake up! None of us WANT him back, but you have to be realistic as well. Who are you going to replace him with? "Gee, I don't know, but there's got to be someone better." Really? Famous last words....

2. Players win games. We need more players to step up and make plays, especially at WR.

3. Four OC's in four years is not a recipe for success. Continuity has it's place.

4. I'm just as upset about the play calling on the one yard line Saturday as anyone else. However, unless we can hire someone better than what we have, you have to bring him back for another year.

Reactions: PITTLAW
I can't believe fans want him gone. You guys blow my mind when you want to drop/add players and staff like Pitt is your fantasy team.

The guy was asked to run someone else's offense the year after Pitt has four players go in the draft on the offense. Team goes back to fourth youngest in P5 and now we're going to inject a coaching shuffle.

Great call.

Then how about crushing Narduzzi for being stupid enough to ask someone to run someone else’s offense?

Great call.
Idiocy right?

Now combine this wonderful plan with the “ I ain’t goan donate nuthin “ crowd....

Magical thinking all around

1. Wake up! None of us WANT him back, but you have to be realistic as well. Who are you going to replace him with? "Gee, I don't know, but there's got to be someone better." Really? Famous last words....

2. Players win games. We need more players to step up and make plays, especially at WR.

3. Four OC's in four years is not a recipe for success. Continuity has it's place.

4. I'm just as upset about the play calling on the one yard line Saturday as anyone else. However, unless we can hire someone better than what we have, you have to bring him back for another year.

1. This is a stupid arguement. There are TONS of coaches grinding away and would KILL for a shot as OC at a P5 school.

2. Getting players requires that you recruit them, have you seen who we’ve recruited on offense in the 18 class?

3. So we are still going to make Watson run Canada’s offense? If not, he’d have to install his system, and if they’re learning a new system, it may as well be with a better OC.

4. You’ll never know if you hired better until you try.

I would take a volunteer middle school coach as our o-coordinator over that baffoon. Nobody expected anything like Canada's offense last year, we knew the offense wouldn't be a strength. But his play calling this season has been laughable. There is no way any other human being could possibly be as bad as this schmuck. He gets an F grade for the season and that's really being generous.

Reactions: SteelCityChamps
Most on here, possibly even me, are completely underwhelmed by Watson as OC. But I am not sure having a 4th offensive coordinator in 4 years is healthy as well. Plus with Pitts history of not paying too assistants we would need to have a matt Canada situation.

Why are you underwhelmed.

I think we should give the guy a chance. At least another year. He screwed up some this year but he deserves another chance

1. This is a stupid arguement. There are TONS of coaches grinding away and would KILL for a shot as OC at a P5 school.

2. Getting players requires that you recruit them, have you seen who we’ve recruited on offense in the 18 class?

3. So we are still going to make Watson run Canada’s offense? If not, he’d have to install his system, and if they’re learning a new system, it may as well be with a better OC.

4. You’ll never know if you hired better until you try.

LOL! Your whole thought process is stupid I don't know where to begin.

1. Yeah there are a ton of coaches just beating down the door to be a OC at Pitt.. So much so it took Narduzzi forever to hire Watson (if you recall).

2. We already have players sitting in the bench that have talent, but no experience. Therefore some need to step up and make plays. Sibley, Davis, Flowers, Reeves are all 4 Star players. They need to kick some ass.

3. Who says that Watson is running the exact offense Canada runs? Narduzzi allows his OC the freedom to add any wrinkles or change anything he wants.

4. So we should get rid of Watson and try someone else to see if he's better than what we already have? LOL! That's equivalent to Nancy Pelosi saying we have to pass the bill so we know what's in it!!!!

Wake up!

Reactions: Saboteur
LOL! Your whole thought process is stupid I don't know where to begin.

1. Yeah there are a ton of coaches just beating down the door to be a OC at Pitt.. So much so it took Narduzzi forever to hire Watson (if you recall).

2. We already have players sitting in the bench that have talent, but no experience. Therefore some need to step up and make plays. Sibley, Davis, Flowers, Reeves are all 4 Star players. They need to kick some ass.

3. Who says that Watson is running the exact offense Canada runs? Narduzzi allows his OC the freedom to add any wrinkles or change anything he wants.

4. So we should get rid of Watson and try someone else to see if he's better than what we already have? LOL! That's equivalent to Nancy Pelosi saying we have to pass the bill so we know what's in it!!!!

Wake up!

Chris Peak confirmed months ago that Watson wasn’t a top consideration for OC. A number of guys turned Duzz down and Pats insistence that Canada’s offense be implemented was widely speculated to be the cause of so many no’s. Watson was a QA at Indiana....not even calling plays!!! I don’t want to hear about all the talent sitting the bench. Narduzzi has so badly mangled the RS situation, who knows who’s better than who. And no, you use someone’s body of work to determine if they would be a good fit with you. So if a young OC has consistently had productive offenses, and you think he fits, you give him a shot. When was the last time Watson led a productive offense?

Reactions: SteelCityChamps
Chris Peak confirmed months ago that Watson wasn’t a top consideration for OC. A number of guys turned Duzz down and Pats insistence that Canada’s offense be implemented was widely speculated to be the cause of so many no’s. Watson was a QA at Indiana....not even calling plays!!! I don’t want to hear about all the talent sitting the bench. Narduzzi has so badly mangled the RS situation, who knows who’s better than who. And no, you use someone’s body of work to determine if they would be a good fit with you. So if a young OC has consistently had productive offenses, and you think he fits, you give him a shot. When was the last time Watson led a productive offense?

Ask Chris if point #3 concerning Watson and flexibility, is accurate... If you can find someone we know will be better than Watson and is willing to come to Pitt then by all means share this info...

I am not thrilled with Watson either. I am surprised the WR coach does not get more heat. He does not appear to be lighting up the recruiting trail, and our WR’s have been blah for awhile. On the offensive side of the ball - Powell, Peterson, and Salem seem to be decent recruiters, so they bring that to the table.

What is the fascination w/ Watson?!? Holy crap... your boy Conklin has the worst pass defense in the ACC for the THIRD YEAR IN A ROW and he gets some kind of free pass? WTF?!?

Wow. Talk about a dilemma...what to do? Should I stick with my current wife who is ugly, spends money like a drunken sailor, drinks excessively, and is cheating on me with my ex-best friend because I'm afraid if I dump her I'll do even worse?

Let me think about this for a while.

Cruzer

Wow. Talk about a dilemma...what to do? Should I stick with my current wife who is ugly, spends money like a drunken sailor, drinks excessively, and is cheating on me with my ex-best friend because I'm afraid if I dump her I'll do even worse?

Let me think about this for a while.

Cruzer

Well, if your posts are a reflection of your true character, then you should count your blessings and stay with your wife...

Watson is only the second worst coordinator on the staff.

Too much focus , when we have no legit qb-
Until we actually have Pickett some run.
I am with you. Conklin needs to go. The defense has some potential in the years moving forward but it seems clear to me that a change is needed on that side to get them where they need to be.

Replace, and replace with a young fresh mind.

Big fan of Kasper from PR, but would be ok with somebody else.
You are a big fan of hiring a HS coach as a P5 OC?

I mean, as a 10th assistant, I could maybe see him coming on as a position coach, but even then, I'd probably need to get Jurkovic with him.

It would be best for the program to just replace him now... The results with him won't ever be good.

What good came out of keeping Matt Cav as OC for 3years??

Last edited:
I've been married 36 years to a fantastic woman so I think I'll be ok despite your snarky, witless comment.

Well congratulations! However the post was not a direct reflection on your wife. I'm sure she's as wonderful as you say.

My post was directed at posters like you who are constantly negative and can't find anything good about Pitt.

I think it all comes down to what they are willing to spend. If it's 500 keep him so you aren't changing OC again because chances are you won't do significantly better. If they are willing to step up you fire him because frankly he is average at best. Not all of its on Watson he is running the Canada playbook with small changes. Its not his offense which makes a tough job tougher

The bottom line is who are you going to replace him with it you do fire him. With what Pitt will pay for a coordinator, you won't get anyone better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT