ADVERTISEMENT

Lack of talent don't blame PN yet

Oct 6, 2012
Lots of posters getting on PN because there is so little talent on the roster but PN has only had two full classes unless you want to judge him based on the one 6 week class.

Here are the classes Pitt should be getting most of their starters from
Jester Weah WR Madison, WI 6'3" 197 5.5 1/25/13
Zach Poker TE Oconomowoc, WI 6'4" 220 5.4 1/24/13
Jaryd Jones-Smith OL Philadelphia, PA 6'7" 300 5.5 1/16/13
Jeremiah Taleni DT Kailua, HI 6'2" 315 5.4 1/16/13
Terrish Webb WR Clairton, PA 5'11" 170 5.3 1/14/13
Justin Moody DE Philadelphia, PA 6'3" 264 5.6 1/9/13
Tyler Boyd WR Clairton, PA 6'1" 168 5.9 1/6/13
Alexander Officer OL Rochester, NY 6'4" 300 5.5 12/17/12
Dorian Johnson OL Belle Vernon, PA 6'6" 280 6.1 11/19/12
Devon Edwards TE Columbus, OH 6'5" 240 5.4 10/22/12
Rachid Ibrahim RB Gaithersburg, MD 6'2" 170 5.5 10/19/12
Reginald Green ATH Cranford, NJ 6'3" 205 5.4 10/3/12
Matt Galambos LB Havertown, PA 6'2" 223 5.6 8/16/12
James Conner DE Erie, PA 6'2" 232 5.7 8/14/12
Luke MacLean DE Grand Blanc, MI 6'3" 233 5.7 8/13/12
Chris Blewitt K Alexandria, VA 5'10" 175 5.4 7/4/12
Carson Baker OL Fairborn, OH 6'5" 315 5.4 6/29/12
Tra'von Chapman QB Kent, OH 6'2" 200 5.8 6/28/12
Tyrique Jarrett DT New Berlin, NY 6'4" 310 5.5 6/27/12
Ryan Winslow K Wyndmoor, PA 6'5" 215 5.4 6/26/12
Titus Howard DB Clairton, PA 6'2" 165 5.4 6/25/12
Zach Challingsworth WR McDonald, PA 6'2" 184 5.5 6/16/12
Tony Harper TE Toledo, OH 6'4" 195 5.5 6/12/12
Jaymar Parrish TE Monroeville, PA 6'1" 234 5.5 5/7/12
Shakir Soto DE Wilkes Barre, PA 6'4" 248 5.5 4/22/12
Aaron Reese OL Chambersburg, PA 6'5" 290 5.5 4/15/12
Scott Orndoff TE Pittsburgh, PA 6'6" 245 5.7 3/
As you can see this was a good class problem is they all had to play right away and are no longer on the team. If Pitt hadn't gone through the DW to haywood to TG fiasco guys like Soto and Orndorff are still on the team. AS it is only jones-smith, Officer and weah are starters on the team.
I suppose you can call Weah a difference maker type of player but its stretching it.
Briggs, maddox,Oniel, Zeise, Bookser and Ollison are the only ones left that start or play. Briggs and zeise aren't very good. Bookser and Oneill are good OL and Ollison is a solid RB. So 9 guys that would be RSR and SR and Rjr. And many complain that most aren't very good. Only Bookser and O'Neill are what could be considered difference makers.
2015 very small class 15 commits. this is the PN 6 week class. PC didn't have much and what he had left. Redshirt SO and JR.
For size of the class its actually better than the 2014 class. Q henderson, Dane jackson, whitehead and Brightwell are starters and have shown signs of being good players. Lopes,hall,edwards and dinucci have all got playing time.
ranked 29th to early to really judge these kids
2017 ranked 38th 24 kids way to early to judge these kids.

Yet, I remember Chryst was crucified by year 2 for not having more talent, and he inherited a much worse situation than narduzzi did.

I just saw a poster blame Chryst for starting voytek, but at the same time blame the lack of talent currently on Chryst as well.

Yet, I remember Chryst was crucified by year 2 for not having more talent, and he inherited a much worse situation than narduzzi did.

I just saw a poster blame Chryst for starting voytek, but at the same time blame the lack of talent currently on Chryst as well.
Agree PC was blamed for a lot that wasn't really his fault. He could have left a QB after 3 years but didn't. My main problem with him is he lost to teams with clearly inferior talent(YSU). PN hasn't at least not yet. Thats why I am taking a wait and see approach with him. Give him 2 more years and if the team is still struggling to get to a bowl game then it might be time to move on.

Reactions: H2P-2007
He shouldn't perhaps be blamed for the lack of polished talent. But he's been here long enough to where a legit recruiter would have signed players and had them on the field. Perhaps making mistakes, but you'd see the raw talent on the field.
Look at Durkin at MD. He's been at MD a year less than PN. Both defensive minded guys hired at Atlantic area programs that have been largely irrelevant for 30+ years. Can anybody honestly say the talent level ceiling of the two teams are the same?

Last edited:
Reactions: sherepower
PC is proving himself a good coach, and I believe he would have had success at Pitt the past 2 years. PN has proved himself to be a solid coach, a good motivator that his players play hard for. He's not a miracle worker though. I think you can scheme your way to a great offense but for a great defense you NEED top athletes which we don't have. PN is still our best bet going forward and it would only set the program back further to replace him.

PC is proving himself a good coach, and I believe he would have had success at Pitt the past 2 years. PN has proved himself to be a solid coach, a good motivator that his players play hard for. He's not a miracle worker though. I think you can scheme your way to a great offense but for a great defense you NEED top athletes which we don't have. PN is still our best bet going forward and it would only set the program back further to replace him.

There are a limited number of miracle workers whose knowledge of college football is probably limited and they're all really busy doing the miracle stuff which isn't easy.

Lets stick with Narduzzi I think he's a better option!

My ex boss the previous CFO or our co who is now the CEO once told me he was a miracle worker so I asked him to let me see him walk on water.

He stepped on to a iced over puddle outside our co headquarters? That shouldn't count right?

Last edited:
Lots of posters getting on PN because there is so little talent on the roster but PN has only had two full classes unless you want to judge him based on the one 6 week class.

As you can see this was a good class problem is they all had to play right away and are no longer on the team. If Pitt hadn't gone through the DW to haywood to TG fiasco guys like Soto and Orndorff are still on the team. AS it is only jones-smith, Officer and weah are starters on the team.
I suppose you can call Weah a difference maker type of player but its stretching it.
Briggs, maddox,Oniel, Zeise, Bookser and Ollison are the only ones left that start or play. Briggs and zeise aren't very good. Bookser and Oneill are good OL and Ollison is a solid RB. So 9 guys that would be RSR and SR and Rjr. And many complain that most aren't very good. Only Bookser and O'Neill are what could be considered difference makers.
2015 very small class 15 commits. this is the PN 6 week class. PC didn't have much and what he had left. Redshirt SO and JR.
For size of the class its actually better than the 2014 class. Q henderson, Dane jackson, whitehead and Brightwell are starters and have shown signs of being good players. Lopes,hall,edwards and dinucci have all got playing time.

3 contributors as 5th year seniors from that class? That's pretty bad but also because he couldn't RS some of those players.

Just FYI... Here are the starters Saturday that were recruited by Chyrst:

Ollison RB - Chryst
Weah WR - Chryst
Henderson WR - Chryst
O'Neill OL - Chryst
Officer OL - Chryst
Bookser OL - Chryst
Jones-Smith OL Chryst
Roy DL - Chryst
Zeise LB - Chryst
Idowu LB - Chryst
Maddox CB - Chryst
Jackson CB - Chryst
Briggs CB - Chryst

Not to mention other key contributors and second string players such as Dintino, Folston, Williams, Stocker, Pilato and Herndon... Are a lot of these players good? Yes. But they also have the most experience.

If you're serious I would say in rebuttal that it's not a matter of blame, as it is to wait and give Narduzzi 5 years to have s complete picture of what he is or isn't capable of...

If you're not serious.... LOL!

I agree, give him time. I am alarmed though that we haven't seen an improvement in DB play by year 3. Maybe ford and Hamlin will help?

Ollison RB - Chryst
Weah WR - Chryst
Henderson WR - Chryst
O'Neill OL - Chryst
Officer OL - Chryst
Bookser OL - Chryst
Jones-Smith OL Chryst
Roy DL - Chryst
Zeise LB - Chryst
Idowu LB - Chryst
Maddox CB - Chryst
Jackson CB - Chryst
Briggs CB - Chryst

Not to mention other key contributors and second string players such as Dintino, Folston, Williams, Stocker, Pilato and Herndon... Are a lot of these players good? Yes. But they also have the most experience.

as i look at your list, it is clear as a bell that Chryst could identify offensive talent

Every one of Chrysts offensive recruits you list will get a look by the NFL

Conversely....every one of PC s defensive recruits you list will be coaching high school football

Reactions: EaseJesus
But I'm coming to the conclusion that this defensive scheme simply doesn't work. Playing defense should not require absolute precision with every single step. It seems that if one player misses one key or takes one wrong step, we get beat for a touchdown. And then another and then another. It's been three years and this defensive system is the absolute worst. I thought the defense under Hackett was horrendous, but this is even worse.

Some of you will say I'm being overly pessimistic but I see no reason for thinking this is going to improve any time soon. It should not be this bad in year 3. Yes - OSU is an outstanding team with a great offensive scheme, but it was like they were playing against a high school team. If their first unit plays the whole game, 100 points would not have been out of the question. And that's not an outrageous statement.

Reactions: cruzer
as i look at your list, it is clear as a bell that Chryst could identify offensive talent

Every one of Chrysts offensive recruits you list will get a look by the NFL

Conversely....every one of PC s defensive recruits you list will be coaching high school football

Not to quibble but Officer, JJS, Weah and Ollison will not get legit NFL looks and possible no looks at all.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Chryst would have topped off averaging about 8 wins if had he stayed. Just like Harris, just like Gottfried, and just like Wanny. Pitt is an 8-5 type program. There is nothing wrong with that, but if something is too change then the coach needs a better product to sell or else go back to the recruiting game that was played in the 70's and 80's.

Ollison RB - Chryst
Weah WR - Chryst
Henderson WR - Chryst
O'Neill OL - Chryst
Officer OL - Chryst
Bookser OL - Chryst
Jones-Smith OL Chryst
Roy DL - Chryst
Zeise LB - Chryst
Idowu LB - Chryst
Maddox CB - Chryst
Jackson CB - Chryst
Briggs CB - Chryst

Henderson is a PN recruit or at least he signed when PN was the coach. Jackson samething. is Roy starting?

But I'm coming to the conclusion that this defensive scheme simply doesn't work. Playing defense should not require absolute precision with every single step. It seems that if one player misses one key or takes one wrong step, we get beat for a touchdown. And then another and then another. It's been three years and this defensive system is the absolute worst. I thought the defense under Hackett was horrendous, but this is even worse.

It's not a difficult defense, in fact it's supposed to be easy. However it takes athletes, and they are devoid of athletic players in the upper classes. I don't need to name names...

Some of the younger guys are more athletic, but they are more prone to make mistakes.

The only encouraging thing was they started playing more of the younger guys. You're going to take some lumps, but might as well get them experience.

It's not a difficult defense, in fact it's supposed to be easy. However it takes athletes, and they are devoid of athletic players in the upper classes. I don't need to name names...

Some of the younger guys are more athletic, but they are more prone to make mistakes.

The only encouraging thing was they started playing more of the younger guys. You're going to take some lumps, but might as well get them experience.

That's always the trade off. The less complicated a defense is, the more it physically demands of the players on the field. PN runs perhaps the least complicated defense in all of college football, which means it almost has the greatest physical demands of its players in all of college football.
Saying, "Well he just needs to recruits those players and it will work" begs the question: can he recruit that level? If your defense requires Alabama players to run it, you better be recruiting like Alabama. I'm not convinced he's ever going to be able to bring in the caliber of players in the secondary his simplistic system requires. A no fingered man could count on one hand the number of safeties in college football I would want in charge of covering the other team's slot receiver.

Last edited:
That's always the trade off. The less complicated a defense is, the more it physically demands of the players on the field. NP runs perhaps the least complicated defense in all of college football, which means it almost has the greatest physical demands of its players in all of college football.
Saying, "Well he just needs to recruits those players and it will work" begs the question: can he recruit that level? If your defense requires Alabama players to run it, you better be recruiting like Alabama. I'm not convinced he's ever going to be able to bring in the caliber of players in the secondary his simplistic system requires. A no fingered man could count on one hand the number of safeties in college football I would want in charge of covering the other team's slot receiver.
They did it at mi st and didn't recruit any better ratings wise than they have here. Also did pretty well at cincy

Good compilation

If one can legitimately deride Narduzzi, it would be for forcing a square peg into a round hole. I crucified Fraud for the same thing, he didnt have the personal to do it either.

Also, I would lean toward playing the younger guys more in the D backfield to learn quicker, but there have been so many injuries, suspensions and grade issues with every top prospect that it has been a struggle.

Henderson is a PN recruit or at least he signed when PN was the coach. Jackson samething. is Roy starting?

Henderson and Jackson commited to Pitt before Chryst left for Wisconsin, therefore he gets the credit... Check out their commitment dates...Roy did start on Saturday.

I don't totally buy into what Urban Meyer said, that when you get hired somewhere, the player you inherit are your player, even though you didn't recruit them. They are your players but not nessessary the players you would have recruited for your system and there shouldn't be any excuses for losing with them, certain coaches want a certain type of player to fit his system, they go after some players and not others.

They did it at mi st and didn't recruit any better ratings wise than they have here. Also did pretty well at cincy

They had a small stretch where they hit with some under the radar guys. That isn't a repeatable skill.
He was also facing the Big Ten. The difference between playing Big Ten teams on a weekly basis and southern teams on a weekly basis is night and day.
Look at Duke's game against Northwestern. Northwestern was picked to finish second in the Big Ten West. Duke was picked to finish second to last in the Coastal. NW made Duke look like the 1996 Florida Gators. And it's not that Duke just actually has that level of speed and athleticism. Because if you watched their game against Baylor the next week, Baylor was actually the more speedy and athletic team. Northwestern is just a midwestern football team. You can ask a lot of your secondary when the offensive teams your playing stack the box and are hurting for playmakers on the outside.

It isn't a difficult defense schematically, but if you play in a league where teams spread you out and push the ball downfield with speed, it probably isn't going to be very successful, unless you have top 100 picks all over the field. If you play in a league where the teams line up in pro sets and have few elite speed playmakers, you can be a lot more successful.

Chryst actually built Pitt up a bit --- and watch, Narduzzi is stocking the shelves and Pitt is getting stronger now. Both Chryst and Narduzzi have / are performing valiant efforts and Pitt Football will be much stronger the next couple years:

Blame the Real Culprit, THIS MONSTER for Pitt's recent mediocrity:

1w5uvy.jpg

Reactions: Jeffburgh
It isn't a difficult defense schematically, but if you play in a league where teams spread you out and push the ball downfield with speed, it probably isn't going to be very successful, unless you have top 100 picks all over the field. If you play in a league where the teams line up in pro sets and have few elite speed playmakers, you can be a lot more successful.

I'm not one to really follow this too closely, but who are the elite NFL receivers out of the big?

I just looked up a lot of the schools...the best receiver I found may have been Stefon sighs from Maryland?

The list is not impressive at all.

Last edited:
I'm not one to really follow this too closely, but who are the elite NFL receivers out of the big?

Stefon Diggs? lol --- He's a Beast for the Vikings. There are a lot of good NFL receivers from the Big 10? Allen Robinson and Chris Godwin just came from ps-who -- Godwin had some big catches against Pitt and dominated the Rose Bowl.

Mike Thomas out of Ohio State is one of the best in the NFL. I mean tons of decent guys too --- and quite a few NFL starting Tight Ends .

How many ELITE receivers are even in the NFL? lol

Stefon Diggs? lol --- He's a Beast for the Vikings. There are a lot of good NFL receivers from the Big 10? Allen Robinson and Chris Godwin just came from ps-who -- Godwin had some big catches against Pitt and dominated the Rose Bowl.

Mike Thomas out of Ohio State is one of the best in the NFL. I mean tons of decent guys too --- and quite a few NFL starting Tight Ends .

How many ELITE receivers are even in the NFL? lol

I see a couple really good receivers, maybe 3? If you're having to pimp Chris Godwin you aren't going too deep receiver wise.

Reactions: RHS14

I just looked up a lot of the schools...the best receiver I found may have been Stefon sighs from Maryland?

The list is not impressive at all.
Which is exactly my point and even most of their quality NFL WRs are guys who are not burners.

Godwin is actually a fantastic example for this. He is not very quick and has trouble gaining separation. His game is almost entirely about gaining position and winning ball battles. He is going to thrive with more pro sets, play action, and zone coverages.

An incoming coach needs to re-recruit every verbal commitment for signing day. Until signing day no-one is really committed- current QB for the Badgers.

Henderson and Jackson commited to Pitt before Chryst left for Wisconsin, therefore he gets the credit... Check out their commitment dates...Roy did start on Saturday.

Moronic Defensive Scheme. Blame Narduzzi Now.

3 Dlinemen 2 LB's + 6 DB's. Zone 90% of time. No big plays. Play DiNucci control the clock. Lose the game 35 - 21.
Their RB had 11 carries for 91 yards, and 2 TD's against a 7 man front. In other words you'd prefer getting gashed via the run game. Guess what - there was absolutely zero chance we would have held them to 35 points. What other teams run a 3-2-6 defense?

Reactions: RHS14
Their RB had 11 carries for 91 yards, and 2 TD's against a 7 man front. In other words you'd prefer getting gashed via the run game. Guess what - there was absolutely zero chance we would have held them to 35 points. What other teams run a 3-2-6 defense?

To be fair here, and play Devil's Advocate --- the Pass totally opened up the Run.

With Mason Rudolph Man-Handling our defense --- plus embarrassing our D-Lineman when they had a shot at him (He's a Grown-A$$ man at 22 and 6'5'', 230 so I comprehend) --- the defense was so on their heels and helpless that THEN Hill just started getting so much room to run.

Our Shell-Shocked D felt helpless and didn't want to keep getting burned and dominated by the Great Receivers, and a QB playing All-World Super-Saiyan (i.e. unstoppable) Ball.

The fact is, the defense wasn't very good against the run last year, either, despite the skewed stats that showed that as a positive. When we are blitzing to create pressure we don't have the talent or tackling ability to get home and it opens up huge lanes. The sacks we get make the rushing defense rankings/numbers look much better because NCAA still has the ridiculous philosophy that a sack is part of your rush defense. Take those out last year and opponents ran on us whenever they wanted, just like they threw on us whenever they wanted.

Not even counting OSU, last year:

VT had Ford, Hodges, Phillps.
Miami had Coley, Richards, Njoku
Clemson had Legget, Williams, Renfrow, Cain
UNC had Switzer, Logan, Howard and others I'm sure I'm forgetting

All being run by respectable offensive coaches that spread you out. When PN was in the Big Ten, he maybe played one team that fit that description. It's a completely different world, with completely different athletes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT