ADVERTISEMENT

Larry Coyer believed the first priority

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
was to stop the run. Basically it worked for him. Somehow there were not as many mismatches on our linebackers and safeties. We did sometimes get torched one on one with our corners.

was to stop the run. Basically it worked for him. Somehow there were not as many mismatches on our linebackers and safeties. We did sometimes get torched one on one with our corners.
I think the idea today as always was to hope the front 7 could get pressure. Unfortunately as is typical, they either got none or inexplicably, couldn't bring the guy down when directly in their grasp, the few times they did. That left the weak and slow DBs exposed on far superior receivers. Game literally over then.

Plus the vaunted "stop the run" priority also failed. Number 21 had his way running through our D line and terrible "linebackers". Made them look silly. Converting the 3rd and 11 at the one with a RUN play in the second possession essentially ended the game. The team quit after that.

I have to use quotes for that term because it's an insult to real linebackers.

The DLine is disappointing but at least had some pedigree coming in. The damnation really belongs on the LB. They're the worst I've ever seen. Major fail by Narduzzi and the school (because recruiting is an all-school responsibility)

Do we use that #25 kid because his dad is a sportswriter? It's not worth it from the coverage we get! From either him or the media! I know he originally was a receiver (and still should be, though not in D1, obviously). So it's not fair to call him out. It's the coaches baffling choice of using him there that's to blame. He's no doubt working his tail off. But there is no evidence he can actually play LB at all. None. Zero. Worst ever possibly we've ever deployed at the position. The little boy #23 trying to play LB is equally bad. The MLB i give some slack to because he's out of position. But 25 and 23 ... ugh. Boys trying to play a man's position. In the city of LB! Ghosts of our LB (Rico McDonald in my era) are weeping tonight.

I think the idea today as always was to hope the front 7 could get pressure. Unfortunately as is typical, they either got none or inexplicably, couldn't bring the guy down when directly in their grasp, the few times they did. That left the weak and slow DBs exposed on far superior receivers. Game literally over then.

Plus the vaunted "stop the run" priority also failed. Number 21 had his way running through our D line and terrible "linebackers". Made them look silly. Converting the 3rd and 11 at the one with a RUN play in the second possession essentially ended the game. The team quit after that.

I have to use quotes for that term because it's an insult to real linebackers.

The DLine is disappointing but at least had some pedigree coming in. The damnation really belongs on the LB. They're the worst I've ever seen. Major fail by Narduzzi and the school (because recruiting is an all-school responsibility)

Do we use that #25 kid because his dad is a sportswriter? It's not worth it from the coverage we get! From either him or the media! I know he originally was a receiver (and still should be, though not in D1, obviously). So it's not fair to call him out. It's the coaches baffling choice of using him there that's to blame. He's no doubt working his tail off. But there is no evidence he can actually play LB at all. None. Zero. Worst ever possibly we've ever deployed at the position. The little boy #23 trying to play LB is equally bad. The MLB i give some slack to because he's out pig position. But 25 and 23 ... ugh. Boys trying to play a man's position. In the city of LB! Ghosts of our LB (Rico McDonald in my era) are weeping tonight.
I cannot believe we do not have anyone else to play LB.

Even Cam Bright - People raved about him as a recruit - I know he is a freshman and small but Arnie Weatherington played as a freshman and small. He has to be better than a converted wr and a former walk on.

Pine starred in a HS all star game and has been in the program a year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT