ADVERTISEMENT

Larry Fedorda's take on football and CTE, and the future of our country.

With the comments he made, he not only has CTE himself, but he may be suffering from some serious psychological issues. The guy is plain dumb and ignorant....period. And he takes himself and the game of football wayyyyyyy too seriously. The sooner he is out of coaching, the better.

This was stupid. It would be more laughable if I was not on a college football message board typing this. Or maybe that does make it more laughable.

At any rate, Fedora officially moved into another class of human.

Reactions: JokePa
He's right on track and way ahead of most other people !
Go Larry Go!

I've said similar things on this board especially the comments about football.
He understands there's a segment of the population that never liked football, it's an American game, never will like football, want it dead and buried and replaced by an International sport like soccer.

They'll invent, lie, cheat, steal or fake almost anything to see that it goes away!

Larry is saying things that lots of people in this country are thinking so maybe more will speak up!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
Reactions: Swervin27
I get what he was trying to say about football and CTE, but he missed the mark.

Go Larry Go!

He understands there's a segment of the population that never liked football, it's an American game, never will like football, want it dead and buried and replaced by an International sport like soccer.

They'll invent, lie, cheat, steal or fake almost anything to see that it goes away!

Larry is saying things that lots of people in this country are thinking so maybe more will speak up!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!
I agree there are a lot of idiots out there

Go Larry Go!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

This is long but your post blew my mind:
  • So, the university that we all cheer for kind of disagrees with Larry (and you, apparently). Has a whole department within the sports medicine group devoted to concussion treatment and protocol. It's kind of a big deal. They also believe CTE is real and are trying to help identify clear cause and effect. Pitt and the Steelers and the Pens all think they're pretty good. If you're ever unfortunate enough to have a TBI, I strongly suggest you check them out.
  • The "football is safer than ever" argument is just stupid. This is all based on the notion that they are teaching "better technique" and that we have "better equipment" which is all cool except the game doesn't happen at nice clean angles and the targets tend to behave very unpredictably and while some of the equipment is more comfortable, it's only slightly better than the stuff that existed twenty years ago.
  • The other reason why "football is safer than ever" is stupid is because single events don't cause CTE. It's actually many, many, "sub-concussive events" from simple jarring of the head (no contact needed) that are thought to be the culprit. No amount of technique or any equipment known to man can prevent this. Oh...concussions still suck and can cause life altering problems. Amazing how one single event can screw up your life.
  • The loudest and most ardent supporters of changing the rules to reduce blows to the head are people who played the game or have loved someone who has. None of them are saying get rid of football. Even Larry backpedaled to the position that contact is probably bad before age 15 and that is correct.
  • The suggestion that this is politically or culturally motivated is insane. These make believe narratives "hurt the country" by creating false storylines just to question a truth we don't like because there is nothing factual to back it up. It is a real testimony to just how dumb we've become. No idea how the country managed a good 100+ years without football before the game was even invented and now suddenly, the game that existed before it will be used to overthrow our way of life. Crazy.
  • The amount of criticism levied at FIFA during the World Cup because of how every single head injury was ignored was pretty remarkable. So remarkable that FIFA pulled every highlight from their website that included a player being injured from a blow to the head. At least most of US football community recognizes head injuries as a risk and pulls players off of the field. I know this inconvenient to a coach but it's really in the players best interest.
  • Fedora will most likely won't get the opportunity to spew garbage the next time the ACC kicks off a season because he probably won't be there. No way I'd let my kid play for a guy that spewed this nonsense.

Why would anyone even listen to a football coach on matters related to the health of young men? Coaches are the last people who should be giving an opinion on this matter. Hell, my 4 year old granddaughter knows more about this subject than Fedora.

People can spin it any way they want to. There is a direct positive cause and effect between head and especially bodily collisions and CTE. Ask the players and coaches who aren't or won't let their sons play football. They know better.

As long as football players are getting bigger, faster, and stronger, the amount of head injuries will continue to increase.

And, players are getting bigger, faster, and stronger.

This is long but your post blew my mind:
  • So, the university that we all cheer for kind of disagrees with Larry (and you, apparently). Has a whole department within the sports medicine group devoted to concussion treatment and protocol. It's kind of a big deal. They also believe CTE is real and are trying to help identify clear cause and effect. Pitt and the Steelers and the Pens all think they're pretty good. If you're ever unfortunate enough to have a TBI, I strongly suggest you check them out.
  • The "football is safer than ever" argument is just stupid. This is all based on the notion that they are teaching "better technique" and that we have "better equipment" which is all cool except the game doesn't happen at nice clean angles and the targets tend to behave very unpredictably and while some of the equipment is more comfortable, it's only slightly better than the stuff that existed twenty years ago.
  • The other reason why "football is safer than ever" is stupid is because single events don't cause CTE. It's actually many, many, "sub-concussive events" from simple jarring of the head (no contact needed) that are thought to be the culprit. No amount of technique or any equipment known to man can prevent this. Oh...concussions still suck and can cause life altering problems. Amazing how one single event can screw up your life.
  • The loudest and most ardent supporters of changing the rules to reduce blows to the head are people who played the game or have loved someone who has. None of them are saying get rid of football. Even Larry backpedaled to the position that contact is probably bad before age 15 and that is correct.
  • The suggestion that this is politically or culturally motivated is insane. These make believe narratives "hurt the country" by creating false storylines just to question a truth we don't like because there is nothing factual to back it up. It is a real testimony to just how dumb we've become. No idea how the country managed a good 100+ years without football before the game was even invented and now suddenly, the game that existed before it will be used to overthrow our way of life. Crazy.
  • The amount of criticism levied at FIFA during the World Cup because of how every single head injury was ignored was pretty remarkable. So remarkable that FIFA pulled every highlight from their website that included a player being injured from a blow to the head. At least most of US football community recognizes head injuries as a risk and pulls players off of the field. I know this inconvenient to a coach but it's really in the players best interest.
  • Fedora will most likely won't get the opportunity to spew garbage the next time the ACC kicks off a season because he probably won't be there. No way I'd let my kid play for a guy that spewed this nonsense.
Take your time picking up the pieces of your mind.
By the way it shouldn't take very long since there shouldn't be alot of pieces.

Larry is on target!
Of course there's head injuries in football there's head injuries in lots of sports and in other activities.
The problem is that the " haters" are out over their skiis on this one!
There's aren't any reliable tests that confirm CTE when athletes are alive and the other testing is suspect.
We'll see!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!
You're right, there are lots of idiots in this country, some coach college football, some post in red text on message boards. The only common link between them all is that none of them are professionals in the fields they criticize. Who needs years of advanced education, research, or studies when all they need to make a decision is a exaggerated sense of their own intelligence and an inferiority complex?

You're right, there are lots of idiots in this country, some coach college football, some post in red text on message boards. The only common link between them all is that none of them are professionals in the fields they criticize. Who needs years of advanced education, research, or studies when all they need to make a decision is a exaggerated sense of their own intelligence and an inferiority complex?
Talk about going fishing for a story that the football haters want to be true but at this time it's all speculation.
There's no way to prove CTE now in real time in people who are alive.
Ok test a 80 or 90 year old person who knows what took place or how age, or death impacts the brain and test results.

Accurate or valid testing technology will be available 10 years from now????????????????

What if the 10 year out testing indicates CTE isn't what we thought. In the meantime we destroyed a unique American sport football due to speculation!

Accurate CTE test for living patients could be coming within a decade

150128-stern-editorial-e1459777039521.jpg

Getty Images

One of the major problems with Chronic Traumatic Encephelopathy research comes from the current inability to diagnose it in a patient who is still alive. That could be coming.

Dr. Robert Stern, who has been instrumental to CTE research in recent years, tells Peter King of TheMMQB.com, “We will be able to accurately diagnose CTE during a person’s life, perhaps in the next five to 10 years.”

Last edited:
This sounds to me like something a coach in the state of Texas would say, not one stuck in Chapel Hill, NC.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcspor...n-football-could-lead-to-downfall-of-country/

This is the mistake you liberals make everyday!
Remember the Clinton Deplorable comment.

This is why the great President Trump will be reelected by another electoral college landslide!

Why are the people of TX less intelligent than those of NC?????????

You baised dope!

Posted by Mike Florio on April 4, 2016, 9:49 AM EDT

Getty Images

One of the major problems with Chronic Traumatic Encephelopathy research comes from the current inability to diagnose it in a patient who is still alive. That could be coming.

Dr. Robert Stern, who has been instrumental to CTE research in recent years, tells Peter King of TheMMQB.com, “We will be able to accurately diagnose CTE during a person’s life, perhaps in the next five to 10 years.”

And it's going to result in the reelection of The Great President Trump!

You baised dope!

This is why the great President Trump will be reelected by another electoral college landslide!

You baised dope!

Getty Images

You baised dope!

You have just proven yourself to be an idiot.

You are so far off on your assumptions about me that you look silly. I'm beginning to think that's a comfortable position for you to be in, though.

You obviously know nothing about Chapel Hill.

The "football is safer than ever" argument is just stupid. This is all based on the notion that they are teaching "better technique"

I can't believe that anyone who watched the game the way that it is currently played could ever possibly think that they are teaching better tackling technique today than they did for instance 40 years ago. A large percentage of current players lead with their heads when tackling and are more interested in just slamming into the guy with the ball as hard as they can rather than trying to wrap a guy up to make a tackle. Either those guys are being taught poor technique or they are being taught correct technique but they are completely ignoring it, which means they aren't really teaching it better.

Reactions: pittdan77
There are idiot coaches represented in every generation.

Bear Bryant would (almost literally) work his players to death and deny them access to water. Yet he was considered little more than a “tough” coach for the times.

Society as a whole has evolved and thankfully people are much more inclined to accept facts when it comes the health of the player.

Reactions: Jpripper88

You baised dope!

Getty Images

You baised dope!

It’s like you are satirizing yourself.

Once you realize it's a parody account- you will laugh out loud at his political comments. He's pretty funny.

Thanks so much - now I get it!

It’s so funny with the “liberals want to destroy football” and the “I boycotted the NFL last year”. It works on so many levels!

Reactions: H2P-2007
The problem is that the " haters" are out over their skiis on this one!
There's aren't any reliable tests that confirm CTE when athletes are alive and the other testing is suspect.

My mind might be broken but at least I have a pretty good command of the language.

Why the heck is everything political with some of you? Look, "only" 20% of coal miners in Appalachia get Black Lung. So "most" people that work in a coal mine never get black lung. Want to walk into a union hall in central WV and tell them that Black Lung is a liberal boogie man? Well, it's okay because the companies are still doing it. But here you are making the same, relative argument about CTE. There's a link for you on Black Lung, by the way. Note how the NFL's playbook of deflection and denial is eerily similar to the coal industry.

https://www.publicintegrity.org/2013/11/01/13662/century-denial-black-lung

You have a functioning brain. Use it.

I can't believe that anyone who watched the game the way that it is currently played could ever possibly think that they are teaching better tackling technique today than they did for instance 40 years ago. A large percentage of current players lead with their heads when tackling and are more interested in just slamming into the guy with the ball as hard as they can rather than trying to wrap a guy up to make a tackle. Either those guys are being taught poor technique or they are being taught correct technique but they are completely ignoring it, which means they aren't really teaching it better.

The game is faster than ever and the players are physical freaks. Not only that but players who don't lay it all out are considered "uncommitted" and quickly moved off of rosters. It's a "Catch 22". To be the best, you have to do whatever possible to win but at the same time, you have to put yourself at risk to do it. Imagine working in a factory where you have to do something really dangerous all day, everyday, or they'll bring someone in to replace you. No, wait, just open your history book to the section on the industrial revolution.

how about this for a statement regarding head injuries/cte. you are better off from a health perspective playing youth football thru and including high school than you are starting at high school and playing thru college and into the NFL.

I watch a ton of youth football (my daughter cheerleads) and boys, im telling you, 90% of these kids aren't making enough contact to crack an egg. I've played football all thru high school and I recall a few hits in high school, crack back blocks usually, Mother F'er wr's doing this crap, but never once recall ever taking or giving a hit in elementary school that could be considered painful in any way,shape, or form..

these dudes drinking drano (haselrig or terry long, i forget which one) and shooting at helicopters (holmes), or driving 100mph into oncoming traffic (Strelczyk) and shooting themselves in the chest (multiple players), it's not because they played football in 4th grade, it's because they were getting killed (no pun intended) on the field at the highest level..

these dudes drinking drano (haselrig or terry long, i forget which one) and shooting at helicopters (holmes), or driving 100mph into oncoming traffic (Strelczyk) and shooting themselves in the chest (multiple players), it's not because they played football in 4th grade, it's because they were getting killed (no pun intended) on the field at the highest level..

The science is still out on that. They've found CTE in HS kids.

I think the caution they're stressing with young kids is because their brains aren't fully developed until 15 or something. My issue with kids is that the equipment really doesn't fit them right and mostly, the coaching is garbage. My daughter is a cheerleader so I go to these games, too. It's actually pretty embarrassing sometimes. And, with a few exceptions, I don't see much better in HS anymore (I'll qualify that by mentioning I live in Central PA where HS football is crap). The star player never comes out and eventually gets jacked up when he's too tired to defend himself. Honestly, you can tell these kids never play football in their backyard.

I get the safety concerns for kids, but for college and NFL? These guys are making the conscious decision to subject their bodies and minds to obvious bone crunching and head jarring contact. In turn they get opportunities and money they would otherwise have 0 chance to receive. This opportunity exists BECAUSE the game is so violent and it takes unique ability and toughness to play it. It wouldn't be interesting or lucrative as 2 hand touch.

I get the safety concerns for kids, but for college and NFL? These guys are making the conscious decision to subject their bodies and minds to obvious bone crunching and head jarring contact. In turn they get opportunities and money they would otherwise have 0 chance to receive. This opportunity exists BECAUSE the game is so violent and it takes unique ability and toughness to play it. It wouldn't be interesting or lucrative as 2 hand touch.

I understand and agree with that. NFL more than college. But just dismissing CTE or equating it to some political conspiracy is over the top.

Reactions: H2P-2007
how about this for a statement regarding head injuries/cte. you are better off from a health perspective playing youth football thru and including high school than you are starting at high school and playing thru college and into the NFL.

I watch a ton of youth football (my daughter cheerleads) and boys, im telling you, 90% of these kids aren't making enough contact to crack an egg. I've played football all thru high school and I recall a few hits in high school, crack back blocks usually, Mother F'er wr's doing this crap, but never once recall ever taking or giving a hit in elementary school that could be considered painful in any way,shape, or form..

It’s about cumulative effects of collisions.

So- that’s a bad take

Yep, because other incredibly popular global sports like basketball, soccer, golf, and tennis are all known for their violence. Sports couldn't possibly be exciting or draw a crowd without brain damaging collisions.

The CTE link is of course not definitive at this point because it doesn't have decades of study behind it, but the results so far are astonishing. If you can live with yourself by saying, "who cares if these people permanently damage their lives and families, I need something to amuse myself for a few hours per week. They shouldn't try making the game more safe because I might have to adapt my taste in sports." then I guess we have two different definitions of humanity.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2645104
91% of the donated college players (48/53), 56% severe CTE
99% of the donated NFL players (110/111), 86% severe CTE
The test is only about 10% of former NFL players that have died since they began the study, so even if the other 90% that didn't have their brains donated were clear of CTE, then it still means roughly 10% of NFL players develop the condition.

The study is biased because the brains had to be donated, but so far there has not been any tests that suggest the opposite.

Yep, because other incredibly popular global sports like basketball, soccer, golf, and tennis are all known for their violence. Sports couldn't possibly be exciting or draw a crowd without brain damaging collisions.

The CTE link is of course not definitive at this point because it doesn't have decades of study behind it, but the results so far are astonishing. If you can live with yourself by saying, "who cares if these people permanently damage their lives and families, I need something to amuse myself for a few hours per week. They shouldn't try making the game more safe because I might have to adapt my taste in sports." then I guess we have two different definitions of humanity.

The test is only about 10% of former NFL players that have died since they began the study, so even if the other 90% that didn't have their brains donated were clear of CTE, then it still means roughly 10% of NFL players develop the condition.

The study is biased because the brains had to be donated, but so far there has not been any tests that suggest the opposite.
well this settles it, my son will not be participating in the NFL. thank you for posting this and another thank you for your comment on tennis being "incredibly popular". that one made me LOL.

Reactions: Jpripper88

Those are different games of skill and athleticism. 2 hand touch football won't pay the bills. I can absolutely live with myself saying that because those people are making the choice to play that game and they get rewarded handsomely for it. It is a choice. No one forces anyone to jeopardize their bodies and minds by playing football. I would (without a doubt) be happy to switch athletic abilities with a number of talented football players and risk a shortened life and CTE for the opportunity to make millions of dollars playing football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT