ADVERTISEMENT

Learning to deal with a bad loss

USN_Panther

Assistant Coach
Gold Member
Jul 7, 2001
For far too long I have let a bad loss ruin my week. I think I have discovered the solution.

Look, we're all smart people. There is a website called "Message Board Geniuses" . What further proof do you require?

We are basing our happiness on the performance of people who are, let me be kind here, not intellectually high-performing. I'm talking about coaches here. Look, these guys make big money. But what else could they do? If I had the week at work that Narduzzi and Cignetti had, there would be bodies piling up in the streets. Could you imagine them being pilots? Planes crashing. Engineers? Buildings collapsing. You see my point. These guys can suck at their jobs, then Scott Frost gets $15 million or something like that. Would you get on an airplane knowing the pilot had a buyout like that?

Look, these guys are not high-performing in intellect. Look at some of the highest paid coaches--Jimbo Fisher and Nick Saban are from WV. These guys are great coaches, but for sure they couldn't do algebra until college. I'm not sure Jimbo has ever done any algebra.

We look at these games and expect an analytic and intelligent response to what is occurring in real time. These guys are the ones you never wanted in your group for a group assignment. Maybe the exception is Mike Leach. He finished a law degree prior to coaching. But Nards, Graham, Chryst, Cignetti...these guys aren't helping their junior high school kids with their math homework.

So I have come to the realization that we need to accept that these guys don't think like we do. GT put 11 guys in the box, and Cigs and Nards thought they could get 8 yards on 3rd down running Vincent Davis into that. But in their defense, they only have 10 fingers. (Although Nards is from Youngstown, he might have 11).

Look at the top guys? Dabo? His name is Dabo. Think he is capable of long division? Ryan Day? Can't wait for the first reporter to ask him to calculate the volume of a sphere at the post-game presser. Jim Harbaugh? His biography is "Rain Man".

So this year I have decided to treat such incompetence like I do with managers at work. I allow it to entertain me, but not upset me. Now Chris won't like this because it will decrease traffic here after a loss. But seriously, try it.

And one final thought....how dumb must Geoff Collins be? He must have velcro on his shoes.

Here's to Nards and Cigs being able to outsmart Brent Pry. He's no Jonas Salk. He's not even a Jonas brother.

For far too long I have let a bad loss ruin my week. I think I have discovered the solution.

Look, we're all smart people. There is a website called "Message Board Geniuses" . What further proof do you require?

We are basing our happiness on the performance of people who are, let me be kind here, not intellectually high-performing. I'm talking about coaches here. Look, these guys make big money. But what else could they do? If I had the week at work that Narduzzi and Cignetti had, there would be bodies piling up in the streets. Could you imagine them being pilots? Planes crashing. Engineers? Buildings collapsing. You see my point. These guys can suck at their jobs, then Scott Frost gets $15 million or something like that. Would you get on an airplane knowing the pilot had a buyout like that?

Look, these guys are not high-performing in intellect. Look at some of the highest paid coaches--Jimbo Fisher and Nick Saban are from WV. These guys are great coaches, but for sure they couldn't do algebra until college. I'm not sure Jimbo has ever done any algebra.

We look at these games and expect an analytic and intelligent response to what is occurring in real time. These guys are the ones you never wanted in your group for a group assignment. Maybe the exception is Mike Leach. He finished a law degree prior to coaching. But Nards, Graham, Chryst, Cignetti...these guys aren't helping their junior high school kids with their math homework.

So I have come to the realization that we need to accept that these guys don't think like we do. GT put 11 guys in the box, and Cigs and Nards thought they could get 8 yards on 3rd down running Vincent Davis into that. But in their defense, they only have 10 fingers. (Although Nards is from Youngstown, he might have 11).

Look at the top guys? Dabo? His name is Dabo. Think he is capable of long division? Ryan Day? Can't wait for the first reporter to ask him to calculate the volume of a sphere at the post-game presser. Jim Harbaugh? His biography is "Rain Man".

So this year I have decided to treat such incompetence like I do with managers at work. I allow it to entertain me, but not upset me. Now Chris won't like this because it will decrease traffic here after a loss. But seriously, try it.

And one final thought....how dumb must Geoff Collins be? He must have velcro on his shoes.

Here's to Nards and Cigs being able to outsmart Brent Pry. He's no Jonas Salk. He's not even a Jonas brother.
Jimbo was a straight A student in high school and performed very well, academically, at Clemson in his freshman year (played baseball). Furthermore, he excelled at Salem College under Terry Bowden. His playbook is easily one of the more comprehensive playbooks in the game and it requires intelligent players to execute it. Jameis was immature but he’s quite intelligent. Same with Ponder, Manuel, etc.

Jimbo’s mom was a high school Physics/Chemistry teacher. His Dad was a coal miner and farmer and would literally not sleep/sleep 1-2 hours on days his boys had ballgames.

Jimbo and Brother (Saban) would’ve made excellent accountants, engineers, etc. Intelligent and elite work ethic.

Your assertion that all coaches are dumb is as short-sighted as your post.

Jimbo was a straight A student in high school and performed very well, academically, at Clemson in his freshman year (played baseball). Furthermore, he excelled at Salem College under Terry Bowden. His playbook is easily one of the more comprehensive playbooks in the game and it requires intelligent players to execute it. Jameis was immature but he’s quite intelligent. Same with Ponder, Manuel, etc.

Jimbo’s mom was a high school Physics/Chemistry teacher. His Dad was a coal miner and farmer and would literally not sleep/sleep 1-2 hours on days his boys had ballgames.

Jimbo and Brother (Saban) would’ve made excellent accountants, engineers, etc. Intelligent and elite work ethic.

Straight A’s in WV high schools equal about a C+ in other states. I’m speaking from experience. My high school senior year was in WV.

With his repeated errors in replacing productive, modern OCs with known failures (Watson, now Cignetti) it’s a definition of insanity of sorts. He has success with a dynamic offense, but it “sickens” him (his word), so when those OCs move on he can’t resist bringing in a tired old retread OC from the Lombardi school of offense. I give him benefit of the doubt that inwardly he knows the Neanderthal style of offense simply cannot work in this day and age (especially for a program with middle of the road recruiting). I think he knows. He just can’t accept it, which is … insane.

Reactions: wolf0717
Straight A’s in WV high schools equal about a C+ in other states. I’m speaking from experience. My high school senior year was in WV.
Just like anywhere, it depends on the school/district. Just curious, which HS did you attend? I’d bet it wasn’t in Clarksburg, Fairmont, Morgantown, Wheeling or Brooke County. All had very fine schools and would be no different from public schools in western PA….maybe not East Fairmont (not as familiar with that school).

I can’t speak for the schools downstate.

Honestly, I’d expect Pitt fans to be used to hard losses by now. It comes with the territory! It reminds of this scene…
tenor.gif

Honestly, I’d expect Pitt fans to be used to hard losses by now. It comes with the territory! It reminds of this scene…
tenor.gif
Not to hijack the thread but Pitt fans have weird expectations that aren't consistent with what they see happening. This isn't a blue blood with a gigantic budget that is willing to bend the rules. It's a middling program that is actually quite successful when you hold it up against the resources that get devoted to it. Guess we're just an exceptionally angry little fan base.

I always said, I want "smart" guys as coaches. Bill Belichick went to Wesleyan and Philips Andover Academy. Smart guys figure out things, don't get married to a single way of doing things. Nick Saban obviously seems like a smart guy. Chuck Noll was a smart guy. You saw him change philosophies faster than the NFL changed styles.

The aforementioned Jimbo Fisher might be smart, but as his cousin told me, "he needs to delegate more and hire good assistants and trust his assistants". Mike Tomlin is a smart guy, but again, he seems to have an ego that has to have him as the smartest guy in the room.

I am a smart guy. But when we were hiring people, including my replacement when I was taking on another role, I said "I don't want to hire someone like me, I want to hire someone better." That's where Saban is strong, he is strong enough in his own skin and ego that he hires the best and let's them do their things.

Narduzzi, as much as I admire what he has done, especially cultural wise, just seems like that average jock like a Wanny. Oh sure, they relate to everyman, but as we see in politics, I am not sure relating to "everyman" is a good thing.

Reactions: WVUinColumbus
I always said, I want "smart" guys as coaches. Bill Belichick went to Wesleyan and Philips Andover Academy. Smart guys figure out things, don't get married to a single way of doing things. Nick Saban obviously seems like a smart guy. Chuck Noll was a smart guy. You saw him change philosophies faster than the NFL changed styles.

The aforementioned Jimbo Fisher might be smart, but as his cousin told me, "he needs to delegate more and hire good assistants and trust his assistants". Mike Tomlin is a smart guy, but again, he seems to have an ego that has to have him as the smartest guy in the room.

I am a smart guy. But when we were hiring people, including my replacement when I was taking on another role, I said "I don't want to hire someone like me, I want to hire someone better." That's where Saban is strong, he is strong enough in his own skin and ego that he hires the best and let's them do their things.

Narduzzi, as much as I admire what he has done, especially cultural wise, just seems like that average jock like a Wanny. Oh sure, they relate to everyman, but as we see in politics, I am not sure relating to "everyman" is a good thing.
IMO it’s actually more important in this era that your smartest coach is your Offensive Coordinator. The game is geared to reward the best, most high-powered offenses. IMO its ok for Narduzzi to be the glad hander HC acting as the dad figure to the players, but it’s imperative that he have a really innovative and clever OC (and gives him relatively free reign).

We certainly do not have that, at this time. Whether Cig simply can’t be that, or Narduzzi won’t allow him to be, or both, it’s already proven to be an equalizer for inferior teams that play us, and a mountain too high to scale when we play a better team.

I don't think Narduzzi is "dumb" neccesarily. I remember when he did those national championship game coaches table on ESPNU in 2015 and 2016, he was the most knowledgeable guy in the room. He could diagnose plays consistently. He's not particularly well spoken, and he is stubborn, so his knowledge doesn't always translate to his players. He's a high school coach who is also a history teacher, versus a guy like Ed Orgeron who would be the football coach and they'd have him be the study hall monitor on the side.

Just now learning to deal with a bad loss? You must be new to Pitt football. We wrote the book on dealing with bad losses.

Reactions: Large Panther

Jimbo absolutely needs to give up play calling. He is certainly very good at it but not as good as he is at recruiting (he’s a top 3 recruiter along with Brother).

And you’re correct. It’s an ego thing for sure. I’m certain Jimbo is well aware of his salary and wants to justify it by doing as much as he can. He’d be better served having Dameyune or some other assistant call plays.

So you read an intelligent post and call it short-sighted. I got news for you, junior. What he said was 100% accurate. These coaches, with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions, wouldn't be able to help a 5th grader (in schools outside of WV of course) do a math problem. That includes guys named Jimbo, who in any other normal school in the country would have flunked out. We're talking 2 different levels of intelligence here. Coaches are not anything close to being even academically challenged. They're below that. And they don't care.

The OP has it right. I watch the games and am entertained by the game and the antics of the dolts posing as coaches. No matter the outcome of the game, I have forgotten about it after about 5 minutes after the game because,...well, it's meaningless in my life. It's just entertainment, nothing more. It passes the time, nothing more. I'd rather be hiking in the Grand Tetons. My self-worth comes from doing something productive, helping others, and being with my lovely wife of 47 years. It doesn't come from any sports teams I root for or from my alma mater.

Put that in your corn cob pipe and smoke it!

Not coach related but a die hard Tennessee fan from my church once said something that changed my life. After they lost to USC I asked him on Sunday if he was ok. In a thick southern draw he said "I will not allow my happiness to be determined by 18 to 22 year olds."

Very, very true and something to remember every week.

So you read an intelligent post and call it short-sighted. I got news for you, junior. What he said was 100% accurate. These coaches, with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions, wouldn't be able to help a 5th grader (in schools outside of WV of course) do a math problem. That includes guys named Jimbo, who in any other normal school in the country would have flunked out. We're talking 2 different levels of intelligence here. Coaches are not anything close to being even academically challenged. They're below that. And they don't care.

The OP has it right. I watch the games and am entertained by the game and the antics of the dolts posing as coaches. No matter the outcome of the game, I have forgotten about it after about 5 minutes after the game because,...well, it's meaningless in my life. It's just entertainment, nothing more. It passes the time, nothing more. I'd rather be hiking in the Grand Tetons. My self-worth comes from doing something productive, helping others, and being with my lovely wife of 47 years. It doesn't come from any sports teams I root for or from my alma mater.

Put that in your corn cob pipe and smoke it!
It’s meaningless and yet you’re a regular poster on a team message board….

• Haha
Reactions: LordoftheTides
It’s meaningless and yet you’re a regular poster on a team message board….

It's more meaningful to converse with the good Pitt fans on this board than to watch the games, to be honest. It's just a game. But relationships, even on a message board, carry more weight.

That's why I would love to post about more than sports on this board. I'd prefer it. But when anyone tries to do it, the thread is deleted. Sometimes, we even talk about life, retirement, finances, music, vacations. That's more interesting.

I don't think Narduzzi is "dumb" neccesarily. I remember when he did those national championship game coaches table on ESPNU in 2015 and 2016, he was the most knowledgeable guy in the room. He could diagnose plays consistently. He's not particularly well spoken, and he is stubborn, so his knowledge doesn't always translate to his players. He's a high school coach who is also a history teacher, versus a guy like Ed Orgeron who would be the football coach and they'd have him be the study hall monitor on the side.
Ha. I remember my HS history teacher - he was also one of the football coaches too. About the worst teacher I ever had. He had no business teaching history. He was just an okay coach.

i've finally gotten to the point where i dont let mediocre football teams get me upset. last week would have killed me before with both steelers and pitt losing but i look at it as both teams are very average (putting it nicely) so why would you get upset when an avg team plays average?

IMO it’s actually more important in this era that your smartest coach is your Offensive Coordinator. The game is geared to reward the best, most high-powered offenses. IMO its ok for Narduzzi to be the glad hander HC acting as the dad figure to the players, but it’s imperative that he have a really innovative and clever OC (and gives him relatively free reign).

We certainly do not have that, at this time. Whether Cig simply can’t be that, or Narduzzi won’t allow him to be, or both, it’s already proven to be an equalizer for inferior teams that play us, and a mountain too high to scale when we play a better team.
What is funny, is the NFL has a problem right now. And again, the defenses seem to have passed up offenses, despite rules stacked against them. On defense, you can have 11 great athletes and scheme for them. On offense, not saying OL aren't great athletes, but they are more of a unit and aren't as athletic as the others so the offense inherently is at a disadvantage athlete wise.

Just now learning to deal with a bad loss? You must be new to Pitt football. We wrote the book on dealing with bad losses.
Funny you say that. My first thought was how the hoops board always talked about linkage. Plenty of linkage for this on the football side.

Leave it to this troll to take an excellent post and try to discredit it by taking one small element he disagrees with.

The overall point is that many coaches aren't intellectuals. Look at Paul Chryst. He just got fired because he was totally incompetent in the executive role. Didn't even have a recruiting department for almost a year, yet he got paid millions and got a huge buyout. It's unbelievable.

Our current OC and HC forced a idiotic gameplan for 90% of the game. When they went away for one series in the second quarter and a couple of series' in the fourth quarter, it led to their only TDs. Everyone and their grandmas knew that was a bad gameplan by the middle of the first quarter. Yet those dolts kept it up.

Now with that all being said, plenty of morons in the business world as well who get promoted to the top position. Think about it, someone is smart in school, and they get put on a track to be a doctor. They make a nice living but typically aren't going to be a CEO earning millions per year.

On the other hand, a complete moron who is good at politics and trading favors has a better shot at becoming the CEO and earning mega bucks then does the highly intelligent smart guy who goes to medical school or gets a Ph.D and becomes a professor. That's probably an accurate reflection of coaching, too.

Any person can get smarter, but the individual has to recognizing what they don’t know or what they got wrong and then choose to consistently work to improve. You must have a bit of perfectionist mentality.

Narduzzi doesn’t have a perfectionist mentality.
Coaches like Saban and Dabo may not have been Physics majors but they get the importance of being perfectionists.
Perfectionists about recruiting.
Perfectionist about strategy.
Perfectionists about game preparation.
Perfectionist about in game adjustments
They even hire perfectionists as coordinators and assistants too.

Saban and Dabo would never be content with using the same lazy excuses when they lose like, “ It’s just little details here and there.” They are also much less likely to have to rely on the ” We’ll have to look at the tape” response because they actually recognized the problems and figured out how to fix it before the game was over.

Having a coach as a dad and working under some other good coaches has helped PN reach a certain level of competency and talent over the years. I believe Narduzzi even gotten a little wiser than when he first took the job, but he still makes many dumb decisions, lame excuses and uninspiring remarks that show he is not completely on top of things currently. Those actions plus his inability to have his team prepared to beat a really, really weak GT team further shows he is not particularly driven and obsessed with constantly getting better - like a perfectionist does.

Last edited:
The best way to get over a mere bad football loss is to remember what a total train wreck basketball has become. All is forgiven, Duz/Cig. Run the line plunge to your heart’s content tomorrow

ADVERTISEMENT