ADVERTISEMENT

Leaving before bowl game

pbrad

Sophomore
Sep 27, 2009
Why would players, especially starters, announce they are leaving before a team's bowl game. Only another 3 weeks and if another school is really interested, they will still be after the bowl game.

Don't declare BEFORE the bowl game announcement. That only hurts the team.

Don't declare BEFORE the bowl game announcement. That only hurts the team.
meh, i'd rather them go now than play in a meaningless bowl game and take reps away from a younger player who will be with us next year, then play and leave a day later..

to the OP's question, i agree if it's a really good bowl or a playoff. Stay and get the perks of that experience but 95% of these bowls, i doubt they care about a free trip to el paso..

after the bowl games means less than a week for a player to enter the portal and find a new school so they can enroll for spring semester..

come on guys, this doesnt even freakin make sense.. im getting very frustrated with you guys today for some reason. i've seen some really terrible posts today.. what's gotten into you people today? We need to quit the drugs, quit the booze, get a good night sleep and be better tomorrow..

Smith-Njigba sitting out there CFP for OSU. I’m glad players are starting to opt out of the playoffs as it’s the only way the NCAA will make any changes when it comes to kids leaving/transferring before bowl season.

What is funny is how can whoever NIL originator come out after lost payment to the NIL deals, because it is not "pay for play".

I mean there are so many holes in this NIL thing, it just is a matter of time before people start going after this.

Smith-Njigba sitting out there CFP for OSU. I’m glad players are starting to opt out of the playoffs as it’s the only way the NCAA will make any changes when it comes to kids leaving/transferring before bowl season.
what does opting out have to do with the transfer portal? The NCAA cant make players not opt out of a bowl or playoff game..

NCAA: "Hey kid, your team has a huge bowl game, you have to play or else."

Player: "Or else what?"

NCAA: "we will get back to you on this."

after the bowl games means less than a week for a player to enter the portal and find a new school so they can enroll for spring semester..

come on guys, this doesnt even freakin make sense.. im getting very frustrated with you guys today for some reason. i've seen some really terrible posts today.. what's gotten into you people today? We need to quit the drugs, quit the booze, get a good night sleep and be better tomorrow..

Ok, then here's a thought. Dont transfer. If you need to take 3 weeks to tour the nation to decide which college campus you are going to spend 4-5 months on, that's on you. We dont have NFL guys sitting out the playoffs. College football is a pro sport. Lets start acting like it.

He's pulling the tried and true method of exaggerating an injury to sit out your last year. Leonard Fournette did it. One of the Bosa brothers did too, though I can't recall which one. I'm surprised more don't do it to be honest.

Ok, then here's a thought. Dont transfer. If you need to take 3 weeks to tour the nation to decide which college campus you are going to spend 4-5 months on, that's on you. We dont have NFL guys sitting out the playoffs. College football is a pro sport. Lets start acting like it.
you cant have it both ways. if you dont want coaches "meddling" with players not in the portal, then you have to give a player more than 3 days to find a school they want to go to, reach out to the coach, confirm they want you, set up a visit, visit and receive and accept offer, move all of your belongings out of your place, find a dorm or house/apt at new site and move in..

this takes time.. unless you dont care and this is all done before hand, prior to the player officially entering the portal. which lets face it, is happening already. i can guarantee you that we talked to Jurk a 100 xs before today.

But again, dont complain about meddling if that's the case..

He hasn't played in over a month and only played in three games this season so this isn't much of an announcement. Btw, depending on who is on the draft board, I'd strongly consider him if I'm drafting for the Steelers. They need another quality receiver and I'm not sure there'll be an OL of value where they're currently slotted in the draft.

Reactions: sonofabit
I love this....."college does it for the love of the game". No. They don't. Not anymore. You know who does? NHL players. They don't get paid a dime for the playoffs and these guys who cut off a leg if it meant they could play hurt.

Hockey players are not just 100 times more honorable than football players, they 100 times tougher.

If someone is leaving, they are basically quitting the team. Why would they play for a team they are quitting?

Out of a sense of allegiance to one's teammates, I would hope a player would play in a bowl game. However, if they don't feel that commitment, "sayonara." Don't let the door hit you in the butt.

There is no excuse for skipping a playoff game. When the initial goal is in sight, you can't just run away. It's called commitment, and there are far too many people who have lost sight of that quality.

you cant have it both ways. if you dont want coaches "meddling" with players not in the portal, then you have to give a player more than 3 days to find a school they want to go to, reach out to the coach, confirm they want you, set up a visit, visit and receive and accept offer, move all of your belongings out of your place, find a dorm or house/apt at new site and move in..

this takes time.. unless you dont care and this is all done before hand, prior to the player officially entering the portal. which lets face it, is happening already. i can guarantee you that we talked to Jurk a 100 xs before today.

But again, dont complain about meddling if that's the case..

The majority of schools will start January 9 or later. A lot will start January 16 or later. Lets not pretend like education matters. You know darn well it doesn't. As for coaches tampering with players not in the portal, I'd enforce the hell out of it. DONT TRANSFER. And if you do, you should realize you may miss a week of school and who cares.

I love this....."college does it for the love of the game". No. They don't. Not anymore. You know who does? NHL players. They don't get paid a dime for the playoffs and these guys who cut off a leg if it meant they could play hurt.

Hockey players are not just 100 times more honorable than football players, they 100 times tougher.
They are also well compensated
Football players in college aren’t paid a dime by their schools

You know who does? NHL players. They don't get paid a dime for the playoffs

That actually isn't true. The NHL pays bonuses to all the players on playoff teams based on how many rounds of playoffs they play in.

That amount, like for all the other professional sports, is no where near what players, especially good ones, make during the regular season. But NHL players most certainly do get paid for the playoffs.

Their fans are 100 times more insufferable, too.

Given the type of injuries NFL guys play through and rushing back way before they're healthy, I cannot say NHL players are 100 times tougher than football players. Also, NHL players do get paid for the playoffs.

Why invest three more weeks into a program you have no interest in staying at? Declare now and get your name out there.
Because when you accepted that scholarship, you are agreeing to play for that team for that year.
If a team made a bowl game, that player should follow through on his commitment until the season is fully complete.
I hate when a player leaves early and yes that is exactly how I felt about Kenny Pickett when he did it to Pitt last year.

For the players too

I understand that but it is a reasonable rule to not open up a transfer portal until the season is complete. Should they open up the Basketball transfer portal on March 1? That makes no sense. If you want to transfer, that's great. But you cannot be contacted until the season is over.

Reactions: pbrad
I understand that but it is a reasonable rule to not open up a transfer portal until the season is complete. Should they open up the Basketball transfer portal on March 1? That makes no sense. If you want to transfer, that's great. But you cannot be contacted until the season is over.
It's not reasonable. The semester starts in early January. The timetable doesn't really make it feasible.

Besides, schools are firing coaches mid-season, other coaches are job-hopping. Movement before bowl games is the norm.

When the divorce is finalized and you know you're marrying someone else, it's just weird to keep sleeping together under the same roof.

Given the type of injuries NFL guys play through and rushing back way before they're healthy, I cannot say NHL players are 100 times tougher than football players. Also, NHL players do get paid for the playoffs.
I will say this, I have been around hockey players for a couple of decades now and they are a unique group of athletes. To be quite honest, to me, they are the best athletes in the world. Playing a game where most are moving at 20+ mph on a blade that is roughly an 1/8" wide is impressive. Add to that the hand/eye coordination that is needed to play the game, along with the physical contact involved...to me, they are much tougher then football players.

My guess is they declare for the portal not to get injured or further injured via more practice and playing. More attractive to a transfer school if you are healthy going into spring practice.

If you are transferring it’s possible open season in practice on you from other players. They don’t care if you leave hurt.

It amazing how pissy some of you are getting about college kids skipping a glorified exhibition game.

Reactions: TD_6082
Well in the grande scheme aren’t they all exhibition games in preparation of life after college?

I get why they are and they probably should be able to but it’s more overall disintegrating of what was unique about college sports for me. Oh well.

They are also well compensated
Football players in college aren’t paid a dime by their schools
I’m still in the school of a free education including books tutors. Free room and board, including training table food. Free athletic training assistance including strength and condition coaches. Some of the best healthcare money could buy. Plus many unknown other perks.
Do I think they should be paid a small salary? Probably. Would have killed to have those benefits when I was at Pitt.
But the millions in free agency? Just let them be one and done and go pro earlier.

Why would players, especially starters, announce they are leaving before a team's bowl game. Only another 3 weeks and if another school is really interested, they will still be after the bowl game.
Because the transfer portal is becoming a huge dating app for colleges. And the players want to get out front before it gets saturated. The faster you get there the faster you get a landing spot and faster to not be in competition with other transfers. The transfer portal is growing every year for a simple reason. Players now are getting the control of the wheel. They can guide their future with less restrictions. It also means when your feelings get hurt, you don’t get as much NIL, you don’t like the team meals, you don’t like your teammates, don’t like plays being called, you just leave. It’s become too easy, which comes back to my original point, you better be the first to the portal before there are 100 players just like you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT