ADVERTISEMENT

Length of games

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
There's a proposal out there to keep the clock running on incompletions. I hate that idea. I dont want to see anything that alters the historical integrity of the game. Personally, I am fine with how long they take. I'd be fine if they took even longer. We only get 13 games every 365 days. Do we really need them to end 30 minutes sooner? This isnt baseball, which plays 162 games, most on weeknights where games ending at 11PM is a problem.

Lot more passing in games. So what used to be run on first, run on second and pass on 3rd is pass on first, incompletion on 2nd, pass on 3rd. So in terms of integrity, perhaps that has already disappeared. Essentially each incomplete pass is a mini time out in a way. Play calling with no loss of clock.

I think this may pass simply because there are so many games on in a weekend you have no real ability to space out games like they have in the NFL with post 4 pm starts. Do you want to miss the start of Bama vs Georgia to watch Boston College vs Wake Forest in a 4 hour plus game due to 65 passes for each QB?

Reactions: bwh05
I think games are too long & I love football. I’m not sure what the best way to shorten things some is tho.

There's a proposal out there to keep the clock running on incompletions. I hate that idea. I dont want to see anything that alters the historical integrity of the game. Personally, I am fine with how long they take. I'd be fine if they took even longer. We only get 13 games every 365 days. Do we really need them to end 30 minutes sooner? This isnt baseball, which plays 162 games, most on weeknights where games ending at 11PM is a problem.
Wars are to long, leave the football game time unchanged.

Reactions: Celtsfan
Shortening it’s ok if you don’t take away actual live play. Less commercials, less timeouts, less replays.

Not every first dien or complete pass needs to go to replay. Replay every scoring play? Why?

Shortening it’s ok if you don’t take away actual live play. Less commercials, less timeouts, less replays.

Not every first dien or complete pass needs to go to replay. Replay every scoring play? Why?
Is this so crazy? How about no TV timeouts except for the quarter break? Just go to commercial for reviews and injuries. Why can't that work?

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Is this so crazy? How about no TV timeouts except for the quarter break? Just go to commercial for reviews and injuries. Why can't that work?
I’m with you. There is little actual live football as us, don’t lower it anymore. I often dvr games and watch them on delay. FF commercials, timeouts, replays. It’s amazing how fast u can buzz thru a game if you only watch live play.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
One obvious change would be absolutely not stopping the clock to move the chains after first downs. That's always been ridiculous and needs to go. If the player is tackled in bounds the clock runs. Also players should not be down unless contacted when down.

Keeping the clock running on incompletions I do not like... Seems too extreme.

Just have fewer commercials. Who cares if there is less revenue. That means less revenue for all teams.

No, no, no. Want to shorten the games, eliminate the TV timeout after every score. There are touchdowns left and right in today's game. Line up, PAT, kickoff. 30 second tv timeouts in between. That's it. If the umpire review sucks for fans.... perfect time for a tv commercial.

The TV timeouts completely changed the ebb and flow of the game when they were first introduced. How many times have we been in big game situations where the TV timeout came in during a big play situation? Now there are so many game interruptions just make the commercials more often when nothing is happening but shorter. I would hate to see less actual plays during the game.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
It’s the tv breaks and now endless referee huddles after every flag. And they don’t always get it right. Blah

You could have a split screen with commercials playing on one side while the play occurs on the other
How about a 1:00 clock after each extra point and FG. No TV timeout. Go to TV timeouts during injuries and booth reviews. This shaves off like 15 minutes.

Keep the clock running on incompletions ??
That would change the game as we know it, that would be insane.
The stupid reviews every other play is why they take long, but like you said so what they are once a week on a weekend.

TV will never give up their opportunities for commercials. Time savings, if actually necessary, would need to come from activity (or lack thereof) that is occurring during the midst of the play in progress, to keep the clock running. Some of those ideas have been mentioned here.

But as a program that doesn’t win a majority of games by blowouts, I don’t know why our fans would want to see that. In at least 40% of our games (on average), we’re apt to be losing at any given time, especially games vs. legit opponents. In those, we should want play to extend to give us time to come back, rather than the opposite.

If we ever get to the Ohio State/Alabama echelon when we’re up by 60 most weeks, ok, I might be able to see it… get the dam thing over with. But honestly even then, I don’t get it…it is supposed to be enjoyable for your team to be winning; why the big rush to end it?

TV will never give up their opportunities for commercials. Time savings, if actually necessary, would need to come from activity (or lack thereof) that is occurring during the midst of the play in progress, to keep the clock running. Some of those ideas have been mentioned here.

But as a program that doesn’t win a majority of games by blowouts, I don’t know why our fans would want to see that. In at least 40% of our games (on average), we’re apt to be losing at any given time, especially games vs. legit opponents. In those, we should want play to extend to give us time to come back, rather than the opposite.

If we ever get to the Ohio State/Alabama echelon when we’re up by 60 most weeks, ok, I might be able to see it… get the dam thing over with. But honestly even then, I don’t get it…it is supposed to be enjoyable for your team to be winning; why the big rush to end it?
You'd be giving TV the same amount of guaranteed commercials, just at different times (ie booth reviews and injuries)

How about just recognize that the games are going to be longer than three hours, and have TV networks schedule games three and a half hours apart? They could fill the time between games with a highlight show.

You'd be giving TV the same amount of guaranteed commercials, just at different times (ie booth reviews and injuries)

If you think that the average number of booth review and injuries that require the game to stop in a game is equal to the number of commercial breaks that they currently take in a game one can only surmise that you've either never actually watched a game before or if you have you have never actually paid attention to what you are seeing.

Since TV won't reduce commercials, they need to adjust in other areas.

Eliminate stopping the clock on first downs.
Shorten halftime from 20 minutes to 12-15 minutes.
Quit taking so many unnecessary replay reviews and streamline the process to a replay official in the booth who can make a decision in one minute or less.

Reactions: Pitt1975 and Pitt79
Since TV won't reduce commercials, they need to adjust in other areas.

Eliminate stopping the clock on first downs.
Shorten halftime from 20 minutes to 12-15 minutes.
Quit taking so many unnecessary replay reviews and streamline the process to a replay official in the booth who can make a decision in one minute or less.
Eliminating the stopping the clock on first downs will save you about 5 minutes max. Drop in the bucket. I agree that's a stupid rule at all levels, but it will only save so much time. It's the replays and the commercial time, mainly the commercial time.

If you think that the average number of booth review and injuries that require the game to stop in a game is equal to the number of commercial breaks that they currently take in a game one can only surmise that you've either never actually watched a game before or if you have you have never actually paid attention to what you are seeing.
The networks get 10 TV timeouts per half. These typically do not include injury or booth reviews, which there are on, average, what 5-6 per game. You could easily just make the injuries and booth reviews part of the 10 TV timeouts. Right now, its 10 per half PLUS stoppages for injuries and booth reviews.

Here's how to do it. Point of emphasis to NOT throw flags unless something is so obvious everyone can see it at game speed, Canadian motion rules, and other than 5 guys on the O line no formation penalties. No coaches challenges, Have a review official in the booth, only he can call for a review, and he gets a 60 second clock and only can see it at real speed, and only can overturn painfully obvious errors, 60 seconds, buzzer, can't decide PLAY ON. Forget about judging the knee down, if you can obviously reach it across it counts, NOTHING is an automatic review. Don't stop the clock for a 1st down in college. Take the radios out of the helmets, reduce the play clock to 25 second, if you're making $50 million per year, you should be able to call plays. Thank You Very Much!

Eliminating the stopping the clock on first downs will save you about 5 minutes max. Drop in the bucket. I agree that's a stupid rule at all levels, but it will only save so much time. It's the replays and the commercial time, mainly the commercial time.
So you save five minutes there, another eight minutes with halftime and now you're down 13 minutes. Factor in 2-3 replay reviews and that is another 6-10 minutes.

Targeting is one the big culprits that waste tons of time. Officials take freaking forever to review it. As a public service to help in this very vital cause, Pitt should volunteer to make itself exempt from any targeting calls by our opponents against us, since the refs always end up picking up the flag anyway 😒

These typically do not include injury or booth reviews, which there are on, average, what 5-6 per game.

That's the thing, there are NOT 5-6 stoppages per game for injuries and booth reviews. The last number I saw (and I'm not going to look it up again) was that there were less than two replay reviews in an average game. And I don't know how many injury stoppages there are, but the fact is that most of them are short stoppages and if there are any commercial breaks left to take they already do take commercial breaks during injury timeouts.

Sometimes I wonder if you ever actually pay any attention at all at all of these games you go to.

That's the thing, there are NOT 5-6 stoppages per game for injuries and booth reviews. The last number I saw (and I'm not going to look it up again) was that there were less than two replay reviews in an average game. And I don't know how many injury stoppages there are, but the fact is that most of them are short stoppages and if there are any commercial breaks left to take they already do take commercial breaks during injury timeouts.

Sometimes I wonder if you ever actually pay any attention at all at all of these games you go to.
Is it possible to pay attention to the game, and count 46,891 fans at the same time?

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Eliminating the stopping the clock on first downs will save you about 5 minutes max.

What most people don't understand is that a couple years ago the refs were instructed to wind the clock as quickly as they can. Most of the time they don't even wait for the ball to be set, and they basically never wait for the chain guys to get into position.

If people watch tomorrow they will see that frequently after a first down (not always, but frequently) the ref is restarting the clock literally after only two or three seconds. There is a little bit of time there to save, but stopping the clock on all out of bounds plays uses up way more time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT