ADVERTISEMENT

Let's get back to Bb

They are diligently practicing their "matador" style defense so that the "blue blood" teams will beat us by 30-50 points.

Sarcasm intended.

Reactions: rockypanther
What I've heard:

-Luther and Milligan are the most consistent players right now (not shocking)
-Stewart has an amazing shot but not much else currently
-Carr shows flashes and will be good in time
-Kham Davis has been surprising so far and has been stellar on defense
-Shamiel is very athletic and built like a tank, jumps through the gym and shows flashes
-JWF is the best scorer and turning into a leader
-Peace can barely catch a ball and put one foot in front of the other right now, he's "easily the worst." Definite project
-George can battle on the boards but is very very limited otherwise

Good to hear that Davis has been so good on defense. Sounded like a guy with a massive wingspan who was thought to be a potential force on that end as a result. If that translates into the regular season that’s a solid steal for Pitt.

Luther and Milligan are the most consistent players right now (not shocking)
-Shamiel is very athletic and built like a tank, jumps through the gym and shows flashes
-Peace can barely catch a ball and put one foot in front of the other right now, he's "easily the worst." Definite project

Thanks for the assessment. The sarcastic posters are arses.

What I've heard:

This needs to be a yr of surprises . Thanks for info

What I've heard:

Funny thing is this is almost exactly what I would have thought. There's like no surprises if this is true. Maybe Davis's D but its very tough to accurately judge D from preseason practice.

kV8O5-p9_bigger.jpg
Craig Meyer‏Verified account@CraigMeyerPG 4h4 hours ago

My best, most educated guess at Pitt's staring five, as of now: Marcus Carr Parker Stewart Jared Wilson-Frame Shamiel Stevenson Ryan Luther

6 replies 2 retweets 12 likes

I think he might be right, but if he is, I don't think Stevenson will like it.

How’s Brown look?

And why wouldn’t Stevenson like starting?

How’s Brown look?

And why wouldn’t Stevenson like starting?

I believe Stevenson sees himself as a SF or 2G

In replies to who else might play, Meyer lists everyone other than (Ellison) Samson and Peace. He does say one of the 2 may play. He has Milligan playing a good bit and says Davis has shown better than expected.

kV8O5-p9_bigger.jpg
Craig Meyer‏Verified account@CraigMeyerPG 4h4 hours ago

My best, most educated guess at Pitt's staring five, as of now: Marcus Carr Parker Stewart Jared Wilson-Frame Shamiel Stevenson Ryan Luther

6 replies 2 retweets 12 likes

I think he might be right, but if he is, I don't think Stevenson will like it.

Problem is that our 2 true 5's are extreme projects, I mean EXTREME so if neither can play, you'd have to have Luther and Brown man that spot. I amso confused as to why Stallings just wouldn't let Niz stay. He only takes up a scholarship for a year and he has to be light years better than Peace and Chukwuka at this point. Then you can use his ship next year instead of Chukwuka taking it up for 2 more.

Problem is that our 2 true 5's are extreme projects, I mean EXTREME so if neither can play, you'd have to have Luther and Brown man that spot. I amso confused as to why Stallings just wouldn't let Niz stay. He only takes up a scholarship for a year and he has to be light years better than Peace and Chukwuka at this point. Then you can use his ship next year instead of Chukwuka taking it up for 2 more.
Agreed - At least they could have gotten 15 minutes or so out of Nix at the Center position.

What I've heard:

Your report is very consistent with what I have heard. Thank you.

I've also heard (composite of a couple different people):

1. Shamiel is VERY inconsistent at this point (or streaky).
2. Milligan is a steady influence and probably will play "a lot."
3. If Stewart can get his shot off, he might have some big nights. He's just a really, really good shooter.
4. Peace can't score at all when guarded but he might be decent in a few years.
5. Not much is expected from Boykins. Not a starter, and maybe a small role at best.
6. Samson is probably 6-4 or 6-5.
7. Terrell needs to get much stronger before he can make an impact, but he has a nice looking jumper.

Knowing all of this, I can see why Craig Meyer is predicting Stevenson at the four. The bummer there is that he's not a four by any stretch, but it's hard to see who else can play the spot at the moment.

If he can't cut it, I suspect Wilson Frame could see some time at the four as well (that's just my opinion).

The problem Stallings will have to deal with this year, it would seem, is that he's going to have to work pretty hard to find a lineup that is even a moderate threat to score. The lineup that is more likely able to score is also a pretty small lineup, who will, of course, have a difficult time defending and rebounding.

Agreed - At least they could have gotten 15 minutes or so out of Nix at the Center position.

FWIW, one of the guys I talked to, knowing where Peace and Chukwuka are in their development, really didn't not at all understand why Nix wasn't encouraged to stay. He believed Nix would be much better than either.

Reactions: whirlybird optio
Hey, losing the top 5 scorers from a team that went 4-14 in conference isn't much of a loss.
Three of those guys could play . We can't be sure that we'll be able to say this about this group . Four conference wins might make KS a COY candidate .

Or Manigault?

The reviews of the guards and wings are encouraging, but why we filled up this roster with MAAC level bigs at the end is a mystery. Especially because now we are out of ships.

I think a while back a posted a depth chart for potential minutes, and I guessed Milligan would play 15mpg, and people laughed. I think I might have been conservative.

Ego? He wanted to run off every Dixon guy?

Maybe he is just clueless?

Three of those guys could play . We can't be sure that we'll be able to say this about this group . Four conference wins might make KS a COY candidate .

You don't win coach of the year for blowing up a program, replacing the departed players with marginal players, then winning 4 games.

He decided to go this route, and any bad record is on him. He also used up any leeway he had last year when he took a veteran team that should have made the tourney and won 4 ACC games.

If he wins 0-4 conference games this year he needs to be canned.

Why are you setting the bar so low for him?

Where did you read he was our best player? I read where he was the most consistent. Crawl back to Yinzer Castle.

Let me rephrase then - The fact that Luther is a starter in the ACC is a scary thought.

If you read between the lines, it basically indicates that Luther, Manigault, and Jwf are our best players.

Also, didn't grow up in western PA. Only attended college at pitt. Not sure how my opinion of Luther not being a very good player makes me a yinzer. But that is normally what every uneducated poster reverts to saying. ( I do believe he has a role on this team. Good attribute player, hustler, great bench player. But not a starter asked to carry the load)

If if you're referring to when they played New Castle in Wpial finals a few years back.... I watched a bunch of 6 foot nothing kids from NC dominate Luther. Malik Hooker was the best player on the floor that day by a wide margin.

You don't win coach of the year for blowing up a program, replacing the departed players with marginal players, then winning 4 games.

He decided to go this route, and any bad record is on him. He also used up any leeway he had last year when he took a veteran team that should have made the tourney and won 4 ACC games.

If he wins 0-4 conference games this year he needs to be canned.

Why are you setting the bar so low for him?
If you call blowing up the program by jettisoning the following players Kithcart , Manguilt , Wilson , Nix & Clark (and unfortunately Johnson ) you weren't watching Pitt play . Other than Cam these guys weren't ACC level guys . You may be able to say the same thing after seeing these players he recruited play , but I'm at least willing to give them a chance .
The bar is set low for both bb and Fb because until Pitt gets serious about winning no quality coach is coming in here to rescue the program . Hate him as you may KS success here is your best chance at seeing winning bb at Pitt for awhile .

Craig Meyer‏Verified account@CraigMeyerPG 1h1 hour ago

Out at the Petersen Events Center for a Pitt practice. Media day festivities start in about an hour, with updates to come.

0 replies 0 retweets 8 likes

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT