ADVERTISEMENT

Lingard to MLS?

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Imagine a front 3 of Vela, Bale, and Lingard at LAFC. Wow. That would be a formidable front 3 in the EPL, let alone MLS.

Maybe LAFC, Miami, or DC U.
Dude is in his prime. He’s priced himself out of playing in the EPL. He can get it done. He was good at West Ham 2 years ago and they want him back. If he wants to stay in EPL he has to drop his demands. But he can play.

Well now…things are getting interesting

They need to get guys like this. I'll even take those 35 year olds past their prime. I watched Pirlo and Lampard look like they were 100. It was depressing but I'd rather watch that than Ecuador's 26 year old 3rd team striker who is better than them. I would tune in to see Old Man Schweinsteiger with Chicago, gray hair and all.

I hope Messi and Ronaldo come over. Put them in MLS and I'm watching every one of their games.

They need to get guys like this. I'll even take those 35 year olds past their prime. I watched Pirlo and Lampard look like they were 100. It was depressing but I'd rather watch that than Ecuador's 26 year old 3rd team striker who is better than them. I would tune in to see Old Man Schweinsteiger with Chicago, gray hair and all.

I hope Messi and Ronaldo come over. Put them in MLS and I'm watching every one of their games.
I’m with you. I now have a bit of interest. I’ll watch. If I’m not sleeping, I’ll be watching LAFC this weekend. I haven’t checked their game time. But the summer is starved for sports viewing. If MLS steps their game up it would help.

I’m with you. I now have a bit of interest. I’ll watch. If I’m not sleeping, I’ll be watching LAFC this weekend. I haven’t checked their game time. But the summer is starved for sports viewing. If MLS steps their game up it would help.
So, I know I talk a lot about the overabundance of South American scrubs (from a National Team perspective) in MLS but MLS has obviously made the decision after being a "retirement league" that they want to attract the best cheap talent that they can. Almost like a Pirates strategy....but the whole league applies this Pirates strategy. The best cheap talent is in South America. Those guys are better than the 2nd tier Americans. They arent good enough for the top Euro leagues and you can pay them as much or more as the South American leagues while selling living in the US which is a big deal for some guys. This strategy has done well locally for the teams. Games are sold out and the level of play is higher but their TV contract sucks because no one outside their home markets are watching an MLS game. I'm a pretty big soccer fan but I'm not watching RBNY vs Philly unless I know the players. I would gladly watch 35 year old world stars past their prime. I have always said the best mix is the old stars + young Americans. Now they have neither. The U20 team won that tournament and most of those guys can't see the field at their MLS club. That is so wrong. Get me a game with 18 year old future US stars playing with an old Messi, Ronaldo, Bale, Kane, etc and I'm watching

I'm a pretty big soccer fan but I'm not watching RBNY vs Philly unless I know the players.
It's kind of a catch 22, or chicken or egg situation, you could know the players if you watch the games. I don't really get why you are racist against talented young Latino players :) but if you watch them play then you know them, this week I've seen Columbus play twice, they have a new South American kid, goes by Cucho, came from Boca Juniors, that's Argentina right? He's a pretty good player, I don't get your bigotry against watching a guy like that? :)

It's kind of a catch 22, or chicken or egg situation, you could know the players if you watch the games. I don't really get why you are racist against talented young Latino players :) but if you watch them play then you know them, this week I've seen Columbus play twice, they have a new South American kid, goes by Cucho, came from Boca Juniors, that's Argentina right? He's a pretty good player, I don't get your bigotry against watching a guy like that? :)
I told you I am a Soccer Nationalist. I have nothing against South American players. They are better than the Americans but I have no home MLS team. I want to see brand name players INCLUDING brand name South American players. Columbus's "big signing" has only played for Colombia twice and they arent even a great team. He has scored a total of 7 "top flight" goals in Europe. He was a below average player in La Liga, which yes, makes him a top MLS player but guys like this don't get me to turn on the TV. I watched LAFC last night to see Gareth Bale. There's talk of James Rodriguez coming to MLS, another Colombian. I'll watch him, Luis Suarez, etc. Or I'll watch young Americans. No-name South Americans do nothing for me. They are better than young Americans but I'm not watching MLS for quality soccer. I have many other options for that. This strategy seems to be working in the local markets but nobody outside those markets is watching which is why their TV deals suck

I told you I am a Soccer Nationalist. I have nothing against South American players. They are better than the Americans but I have no home MLS team. I want to see brand name players INCLUDING brand name South American players. Columbus's "big signing" has only played for Colombia twice and they arent even a great team. He has scored a total of 7 "top flight" goals in Europe. He was a below average player in La Liga, which yes, makes him a top MLS player but guys like this don't get me to turn on the TV. I watched LAFC last night to see Gareth Bale. There's talk of James Rodriguez coming to MLS, another Colombian. I'll watch him, Luis Suarez, etc. Or I'll watch young Americans. No-name South Americans do nothing for me. They are better than young Americans but I'm not watching MLS for quality soccer. I have many other options for that. This strategy seems to be working in the local markets but nobody outside those markets is watching which is why their TV deals suck
I don't care about any of that. Don't know the history of players or where they played or how good they are, or even care, don't even care about the quality of the soccer, I can tell EPL is "better" but don't care. Until I had these discussions with you, it never crossed my mind to think about where the players where from. I just like a professional league in my own country and time zones, seeing the best big names DOES NOTHING for me. Actually it's funny you say you don't watch MLS for quality, yet complain that they get better quality players and replace lesser quality players.

He’s a selective racist. Haha.

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79
He’s a selective racist. Haha.
I'm just messing with him, but I also find it ironic, that he says he doesn't watch MLS for quality then criticizes MLS for trying to get the best quality players available to them. So basically, from his words, he wants teenage Americans playing in a retirement league for old Euros, and eliminate young quality South Americans who at this point are really better quality than the teenagers and old guys.

Also, What do you think about DC hiring Wayne Rooney as head coach? He was a great player AS AN OLD GUY :) for DC, but I can't judge whether he's a good coach or not.

I'm just messing with him, but I also find it ironic, that he says he doesn't watch MLS for quality then criticizes MLS for trying to get the best quality players available to them. So basically, from his words, he wants teenage Americans playing in a retirement league for old Euros, and eliminate young quality South Americans who at this point are really better quality than the teenagers and old guys.

Also, What do you think about DC hiring Wayne Rooney as head coach? He was a great player AS AN OLD GUY :) for DC, but I can't judge whether he's a good coach or not.
No idea how Rooney will do but he can’t do worse than the last guy. And he sells tickets.

how many Americans are required to be on a MLS roster?

No idea how Rooney will do but he can’t do worse than the last guy. And he sells tickets.

how many Americans are required to be on a MLS roster?
When I say I don't pay attention as to where the players come from, I mean it, I don't even know if there is a requirement, I watch a lot of DC United games and they always seem to have Americans on the roster, recently two 19 year olds lost to Europe, unlike many fans, I wish they'd stay because now I won't watch them anymore :)

Actually I liked Hernan Losada, their previous couch that was fired a couple months ago, he played an entertaining high press system and missed the playoffs by a game last year, he was fired mostly for criticizing upper management about something, about player procurement I think.

Did you guys happen to see LAFC vs. LA Galaxy last week, that was a decent game, LAFC won 3-2, had the kind of star power you want and a full stadium, Bale's man bun was prominent at halftime :)

Did you guys happen to see LAFC vs. LA Galaxy last week, that was a decent game, LAFC won 3-2, had the kind of star power you want and a full stadium, Bale's man bun was prominent at halftime :)
I saw it. It was good. I also saw Bale vs Zimmerman last night. It was man bun vs man bun.

When I say I don't pay attention as to where the players come from, I mean it, I don't even know if there is a requirement, I watch a lot of DC United games and they always seem to have Americans on the roster, recently two 19 year olds lost to Europe, unlike many fans, I wish they'd stay because now I won't watch them anymore :)

Actually I liked Hernan Losada, their previous couch that was fired a couple months ago, he played an entertaining high press system and missed the playoffs by a game last year, he was fired mostly for criticizing upper management about something, about player procurement I think.
I don't know what you don't understand. You are a DC United fan, not an MLS fan or a soccer fan. You watch and root for DC United. You want to see them have the best team they can have so it makes sense you like them signing South Americans over ACC players. But I and most Americans dont have an MLS team to root for and the ones that do dont watch other teams' MLS games. To get me to watch, you need to give me brand name stars, even past their prime or Americans so I can see up and coming stars or squad players who the announcers say "Player X is in his 3rd season from Duke." I want to see Americans like that "make it."

Currently, I would say your average starting 11 is:

7 lower tier South Americans
2 lower tier Europeans
2 Americans

That doesn't interest me. Sign me up for

6 Americans
2 brand name past their prime stars
3 lower-tier South Americans or Europeans

FK, you are like me in regards to MLS a bit? Do I not have a point here?

I don't know what you don't understand. You are a DC United fan, not an MLS fan or a soccer fan. You watch and root for DC United. You want to see them have the best team they can have so it makes sense you like them signing South Americans over ACC players. But I and most Americans dont have an MLS team to root for and the ones that do dont watch other teams' MLS games. To get me to watch, you need to give me brand name stars, even past their prime or Americans so I can see up and coming stars or squad players who the announcers say "Player X is in his 3rd season from Duke." I want to see Americans like that "make it."

2 lower tier Europeans
2 Americans

6 Americans

I’m with you. And it also stunts growth in US Soccer, doesn’t it? More Americans should be playing and required to play on each team so that we develop our own players. That’s my assumption.

I’m with you. And it also stunts growth in US Soccer, doesn’t it? More Americans should be playing and required to play on each team so that we develop our own players. That’s my assumption.
It used to be that way. There were limited international spots but to improve the quality, I guess, they count green card holders as domestic/American and every international can get a green card so there is essentially not that requirement to have Americans on the field anymore. It just irks me to no end that a crappy soccer league IN AMERICA won't sign Americans. I mean, I love Jasper Loeffelsend and all. Totally love that dude, but should he be taking a spot from some American from Wake Forest, who he is marginally better than?

The US qualified for the Olympics for the 1st time in forever thanks to 3-4 Philly players. But those kids dont see the field much for Philly. It makes no sense. Now, put those kids on a team with say a Gareth Bale and some other past their prime star, and that's must-see TV for me.

2 lower tier Europeans
2 Americans

6 Americans

Well no, I AM AN MLS FAN... I watched 3 games yesterday that didn't include DC United, and yeah, it's TOTALLY NORMAL to have a favorite team in a league and want them to sign THE BEST PLAYERS to win in that league, I'm not sure what planet you come from?

I AM A SOCCER FAN, I also watch USAMNT, international tournaments, Gold Cup, World Cup, Nations League, Euro League, UEFA CL, Olympiacos, USAWNT, even Baltimore Blast indoor soccer, I was also personally involved in high school, college and club soccer from fan, coach and team dad for a dozen years ... SO CLEARLY I AM A SOCCER FAN by any reasonable definition.

As for your math and numbers, I have to say, I have no idea at all, I'm not even sure the breakdown within DC United, I know they have foreigners, Euros, South Americans and Americans, I know they have developed a lot of local kids from their academy that get playing time, But it never crossed my mind to COUNT, I'm watching NY vs DC, or LA vs Seattle, I'm not doing an accounting of passports and work visas.

You want it both ways? First you say the quality is poor, then you'd rather play lesser quality Americans to prepare players for the National Team, What's the purpose of the league, to be the best they can be? or as a farm team for USAMNT?

And if SMF you got your way and USA joined UEFA and you wanted the MLS to become a top 5 league, then likely the league would have almost zero Americans on any rosters.

You want it both ways? First you say the quality is poor, then you'd rather play lesser quality Americans to prepare players for the National Team, What's the purpose of the league, to be the best they can be? or as a farm team for USAMNT?
Every country in Europe requires a certain amount of domestic players on the teams in their league. That helps the English players develop in the EPL and Spanish players develop in la liga. It should be the same here.

And if SMF you got your way and USA joined UEFA and you wanted the MLS to become a top 5 league, then likely the league would have almost zero Americans on any rosters.
And that would be fine with me. I want to see the best. But if you must give me crap, at least give me young Americans who may have a big future.

Every country in Europe requires a certain amount of domestic players on the teams in their league. That helps the English players develop in the EPL and Spanish players develop in la liga. It should be the same here.

Yeah, but it's a little different over there (well, not for England anymore) because all those countries are a part of the EU and in EU countries it is against the law to discriminate in employment against people from other EU countries.

So they don't have domestic player limits per se, they have limits on non-EU foreigners. Which for most clubs in most leagues basically never come into play. For instance a team in Germany could have a starting lineup of all French players if they wanted. Of course none of them would ever want that, but they could.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
And that would be fine with me. I want to see the best. But if you must give me crap, at least give me young Americans who may have a big future.
You guys just fascinate me in the way that you see being a fan, I'm a fan in the sense of a Yinzer Hunky workin' dahn at da mill in 1950, I just have a favorite team in the leagues I watch and just root for dem Stillers or Buccos with not much thought beyond that or the big picture n'at. I'm more a fan of THE LAUNDRY and don't think as much about who the players are or where they came from more than if they help MY LAUNDRY win. I have favorite team in every sport and my TV DVR is set to record every game of theirs that's televised and that's 90% of the sport that I watch. To me that's sports fandom, having a favorite team and following that team. Pretty normal based on what I experienced growing up before the internet and the fantasy sports era.

You guys just fascinate me in the way that you see being a fan, I'm a fan in the sense of a Yinzer Hunky workin' dahn at da mill in 1950, I just have a favorite team in the leagues I watch and just root for dem Stillers or Buccos with not much thought beyond that or the big picture n'at. I'm more a fan of THE LAUNDRY and don't think as much about who the players are or where they came from more than if they help MY LAUNDRY win. I have favorite team in every sport and my TV DVR is set to record every game of theirs that's televised and that's 90% of the sport that I watch. To me that's sports fandom, having a favorite team and following that team. Pretty normal based on what I experienced growing up before the internet and the fantasy sports era.
We fascinate you? You’re in a very small minority.

We fascinate you? You’re in a very small minority.
Actually I think you're in the small minority, I think most fans pay way less attention to all the details surrounding sports than even I do. I'd be shocked if most MLS fans are taking an accounting of number of Americans or South Americans playing most just want a team to watch nearby and don't care beyond that. I think lots of people become Riverhounds ticketholders because they want to drink beers wear a scarf and jersey and be there in person and don't care about quality of play. And most people I know, watch sports less than I do, they only have time for their own favorite teams, like dem Stillers or Pens. Or their Pitt fandom revolves around preparing food for the tailgate more than the games themselves.

Last edited:
Actually I think you're in the small minority, I think most fans pay way less attention to all the details surrounding sports than even I do. I'd be shocked if most MLS fans are taking an accounting of number of Americans or South Americans playing most just want a team to watch nearby and don't care beyond that. I think lots of people become Riverhounds ticketholders because they want to drink beers wear a scarf and jersey and be there in person and don't care about quality of play. And most people I know, watch sports less than I do, they only have time for their own favorite teams, like dem Stillers or Pens. Or their Pitt fandom revolves around preparing food for the tailgate more than the games themselves.
The nfl draft and it’s popularity says hello.

Because my focus is team centric, I'll tell you this, DC United is playing Bayern Munich tomorrow, It's on TV locally. But I get it, it's just like NFL preseason. Who plays for Bayern that I may have heard of? Any super star names?

The nfl draft and it’s popularity says hello.
Sure, I know plenty of people who watch the Super Bowl and then the next NFL thing they watch is the NFL Draft, and turn it off the second after Dem Stillers pick. Watching the draft doesn't correlate to counting South Americans on MLS rosters. The NFL Draft is mainstream stuff anymore. Let me ask you this, do you watch the NFL combine or Senior Bowl "practice"? I'd be embarrassed to watch that crap. Like they really pulled one over on me :)

To be honest I don't even religiously watch the NFL Draft, when it's on, I usually watch something else, whether a sport or a movie, then periodically flip over to it to try to catch the Steelers pick live. The rest of the picks they scroll across the screen continuously so you can keep up with that pretty easy.

People who spend months doing mock drafts are out of their minds, you have a better chance at a perfect NCAA bracket than guessing even the 1st 5 picks of the NFL Draft correctly.

Again, you have a favorite MLS team. Most Americans do not and need a reason to watch. Joe Soccer Fan isnt turning on ESPN to watch Miami vs Atlanta to see 2 teams of 2nd tier South Americans. They want to see brand name players.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Again, you have a favorite MLS team.
So then CLEARLY I am an MLS FAN and a SOCCER FAN, the ability to adopt an MLS team in itself makes me actually a better American soccer fan, I watch the inferior American based league. I admit, I actually adopted DC in 1996 when the local broadcasts popped up on my TV in the first year of MLS and they where also MLS Champs that year, so it was easier for me to choose a team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT