ADVERTISEMENT

Loaded Capel Tweet

If nothing else, I'm glad Capel is optimistic to the point of arrogance concerning his ability to build something here. It was obvious that Stallings knew he painted himself into a corner and showed his contempt for players, fans, and the administration. It was a toxic situation that was doomed to fail.

Fake it until you make it.

"You guys thought I wrecked your quaint little uninsured suburban house and fled the scene? Well, check this out: I summoned a tornado to rip through it because I knew that was the only way another house would eventually be erected... and then subsequently destroyed... and then replaced with a mansion. You're welcome, ingrates."

- Scott "Savior" Barnes

If nothing else, I'm glad Capel is optimistic to the point of arrogance concerning his ability to build something here. It was obvious that Stallings knew he painted himself into a corner and showed his contempt for players, fans, and the administration. It was a toxic situation that was doomed to fail.

I know he can handle the first part, not sure about the second.

I appreciate the optimism, but kind of a self serving tweet. One could argue if he recruited better he could have shown them the door earlier.
For a program that was the worst in major college basketball, I’d argue his recruiting wasn’t the problem.

For a program that was the worst in major college basketball, I’d argue his recruiting wasn’t the problem.
His 2021 class consisted of Nate Santos and transfers. His 2019 class was Champagnie and 3 guys who transferred to lower levels. 2018 consisted of the guys who weren't interested in grabbing a hammer. 2020 has some promise.

The point is he should have been prepared for the exodus while he was tearing the house down. He wasn't. He tore the house down then realized he forgot to order the building materials.

This coming from a guy that's been pro Capel.

Capel has no room to be arrogant. He's done zilch since he's been here. When he can show some results with a 20+ win season, some top level recruits (top 50), and an NCAAT or 2, then he can begin to gloat a little. But even then, no room for him to be arrogant....ever. The culture of his teams is terribly toxic.

He talks a big game regarding character and culture. He failed miserably at establishing that with his first class, then trash talked the kids in a tweet.

He better do a little soul searching regarding character and culture and look in the mirror. He's not exactly a builder of those things in a program. Far from it. He's the opposite. He tears it down.

I really believe coming in here he thought it would be a lot easier to recruit quality players to Pitt especially after his first class . What looked great early with those guys just collapsed in yr two . Between not improving , jealousy and selfish play the three building blocks started to crumble .

He went after bigger fish in his second yr and found out it’s a lot harder to recruit to Pitt than he anticipated.

Last yrs class still has a lot of potential .

The hope is that the groundwork he’s done the last three yrs starts to pay dividends starting w Mintz .

I don’t understand anyone complaining about the guys transferring out , they were losing with them and nothing was going to change staying with them .

Tired of this line about how bad things were when he started.

I think he should be given more time and I really want him to succeed. But he has been pretty much a bust so far.
Can’t argue the point , his record says it all . I think what most people miss is the obvious difficulty in recruiting top athletes to both major programs at Pitt . JD was struggling as was KS and look at the Fb program, Pitt just hasn’t been in play for the great recruits needed to compete in the ACC . Like I said hopefully the groundwork he’s done with underclassmen starts paying off , the next two yrs will tell . Either he starts winning the recruiting battles or Pitt starts over with another guy who thinks he can recruit better athletes !

Tired of this line about how bad things were when he started.

I think he should be given more time and I really want him to succeed. But he has been pretty much a bust so far.
Ignoring history has a way of catching up to people.

Sounds like a guy who's confident about what's to come...but taking digs at those who left.

Sounds like a guy who's confident about what's to come...but taking digs at those who left.

. What BS. So let me get this straight. Capel was losing on purpose (I was tearing it down) to determine who would build his mansion. However the kids he recruited abandoned him. Was it because of all the losing or because he didn’t know how to build a cohesive team. Also it seems by the time he realizes who will pick up his hammer they will have graduated and no longer be eligible to play. LOL

A chip on the shoulder is good, but that’s a really dumb thing to put out in public. If you want to say stuff like that internally to motivate the guys, that’s one thing but putting that out publicly just creates more problems. He’s in year 4, looking at a 2nd rebuild, and has zero postseason appearances. Again, a chip on the shoulder is good, but it helps when you have the resume to back it up and he doesn’t have that yet from his time here.

I really believe coming in here he thought it would be a lot easier to recruit quality players to Pitt especially after his first class . What looked great early with those guys just collapsed in yr two . Between not improving , jealousy and selfish play the three building blocks started to crumble .

He went after bigger fish in his second yr and found out it’s a lot harder to recruit to Pitt than he anticipated.

Last yrs class still has a lot of potential .

The hope is that the groundwork he’s done the last three yrs starts to pay dividends starting w Mintz .

I don’t understand anyone complaining about the guys transferring out , they were losing with them and nothing was going to change staying with them .
I think the complaining is done out of frustration. I don't see a lot of groundwork laid the last 3 years, tbh. The players that left are his recruits. While I don't think any logical fan expected miracles from Capel's first couple of classes, throw in a Champagnie and it's reasonable to think the payoff should have been considerably higher.

Tbh, I think some of us hold the belief that the players weren't coached, developed, or led properly. That's partly on the guy still at Pitt drawing a big paycheck. He is getting a mulligan and I don't know if this tweet reflects the attitude of someone that shoulders some of the responsibility for last year's implosion.

I think the complaining is done out of frustration. I don't see a lot of groundwork laid the last 3 years, tbh. The players that left are his recruits. While I don't think any logical fan expected miracles from Capel's first couple of classes, throw in a Champagnie and it's reasonable to think the payoff should have been considerably higher.

Tbh, I think some of us hold the belief that the players weren't coached, developed, or led properly. That's partly on the guy still at Pitt drawing a big paycheck. He is getting a mulligan and I don't know if this tweet reflects the attitude of someone that shoulders some of the responsibility for last year's implosion.
Yep

Attacking the fans?

I guess it beats the Covid and bag man excuses..

Might try talking a bit less and accomplishing a bit more.

That's one of the problems with Capel. He talks a lot. That's about it. He hasn't accomplished one thing since he's been at Pitt and has, in fact, created excuses for everything negative that has happened. And he expects fans to be OK with that. I'm not OK with it and any real Pitt fan shouldn't be either. He's had his chance. I know he's still here for at least 2 more years, unfortunately. Unless he suddenly creates some top 50 recruits, can completely change his attitude and turn this culture around and be less toxic, and can win 20+ games next year and the year after, his time is up.

A chip on the shoulder is good, but that’s a really dumb thing to put out in public. If you want to say stuff like that internally to motivate the guys, that’s one thing but putting that out publicly just creates more problems. He’s in year 4, looking at a 2nd rebuild, and has zero postseason appearances. Again, a chip on the shoulder is good, but it helps when you have the resume to back it up and he doesn’t have that yet from his time here.

Exactly. It was a very stupid thing to put out there, that's for sure. But expected from him, considering his attitude and lack of results. But it reveals his character, or lack of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT