ADVERTISEMENT

Loaded Capel Tweet

C'mon man. You're using the one-man 2021 class? Why not use the top-25 ranked 2022 class?

Even broader, you know as well as I do that if Narduzzi signed a kid with Santos' profile - a top 250 kid who was at one point ranked in the top 75, there would be people (including probably yourself) falling all over themselves praising Narduzzi for it. We've got people over on the football board crowing about Narduzzi's recruiting classes filled with kids who are much, much, much less highly-regarded than Santos.

Narduzzi will win 7, 6, 7, 6, he will recruit avg classes and steal 4 million a year

Narduzzi takes 10 wildcard 2 stars and one turns into Patrick Jones and everyone excuses being 18-17 against FBS competition in years 4/5/6 as not mediocre. It’s insane how punch drunk Pitt fans are from a debacle of a decade ago.

Were people at the 51-6 embarrassment or did they watch the 8 yard passing game or the 45-3 drubbing in Heinz just last year? He’s got more clunkers than miracle wins.

MIC DROP

Hurley - Has a .586 winning % and made the NCAA tournament 3 times in 11 seasons. 1 conference coach of the year honor.

Oats - Has a .680 winning % and made the NCAA tournament 4 times in 6 seasons. 3 times conference coach of the year.
I know. Like I said, just a feeling I have. He's a hell of a recruiter but I'm not seeing much substance to him as a coach, whereas Hurley is probably a better coach than he is recruiter. I feel like Hurley will be around a long time after Oats has faded into irrelevance. Just my perception. Not saying I'm right, the next 10 years will tell the tale.

I will say Bama and the SEC are an ideal fit for Oats, a big school that will give him relatively free reign and plenty of money, and a P6 league with only one truly dominant program to worry about. I also would not be surprised if there's a scandal with that program at some point in the next few years.

I know. Like I said, just a feeling I have. He's a hell of a recruiter but I'm not seeing much substance to him as a coach, whereas Hurley is probably a better coach than he is recruiter. I feel like Hurley will be around a long time after Oats has faded into irrelevance. Just my perception. Not saying I'm right, the next 10 years will tell the tale.

I will say Bama and the SEC are an ideal fit for Oats, a big school that will give him relatively free reign and plenty of money, and a P6 league with only one truly dominant program to worry about. I also would not be surprised if there's a scandal with that program at some point in the next few years.
I think there's a lot more to the SEC than just UK. Oats has Bruce Pearl & AU in his back yard. LSU, Arkansas, Tennessee and Florida aren't bad programs either. There are other good coaches in the league in Kermit Davis, Ben Howland, and Buzz Williams.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
He's being totally disingenuous though. He says Wanny should have never been fired, which I agree with, yet Wanny had far more embarrassing losses on his resume than Narduzzi. It's not even close. I get we're dealing with 17 to 22 year olds, and you don't get a polished performance every week. But overall, I think Narduzzi's teams absolutely play with more effort & intensity on a weekly basis than Wanny's did. I don't think there is any question about that.

- A 20 point loss to UCONN when favored by a TD. (don't think you would ever see that in a Narduzzi coached team) This game was a week before PItt lost at UVA 44-14. The UVA disaster was followed by a home loss to Navy

- A 54-34 home loss to a 2-5 Rutgers team.

- Home loss to Bowling Green

- Sun Bowl. 3-0. No need to say more

- 31-3 home loss to a bad Miami team that had a coaching change at the end of the year

- A loss to the Ohio Bobcats

Wanny's teams didn't go bowling for 3 out of his 6 seasons at Pitt. There were a lot more positives than negatives overall, and it was obviously a mistake to fire him. That said, anyone can dig through the negatives and ignore the big picture. No coach is going to come in and do substantially better. To think they are is living in a fantasy land. The ONLY way it happens is if the admin/booster culture changes at Pitt and they go rogue like Hugh Freeze & Ole Miss or Art Briles and Baylor. Pitt's recruiting has been nothing but mediocre since they ran Gottfried. That isn't going to change.

And for the Wisky/Chryst lovers, I don't know if 3 years makes a trend, but the mighty Badgers are averaging 4 losses a year for the past 3 years.

He's being totally disingenuous though. He says Wanny should have never been fired, which I agree with, yet Wanny had far more embarrassing losses on his resume than Narduzzi. It's not even close. I get we're dealing with 17 to 22 year olds, and you don't get a polished performance every week. But overall, I think Narduzzi's teams absolutely play with more effort & intensity on a weekly basis than Wanny's did. I don't think there is any question about that.

- A 20 point loss to UCONN when favored by a TD. (don't think you would ever see that in a Narduzzi coached team) This game was a week before PItt lost at UVA 44-14. The UVA disaster was followed by a home loss to Navy

- A 54-34 home loss to a 2-5 Rutgers team.

- Home loss to Bowling Green

- Sun Bowl. 3-0. No need to say more

- 31-3 home loss to a bad Miami team that had a coaching change at the end of the year

- A loss to the Ohio Bobcats

Wanny's teams didn't go bowling for 3 out of his 6 seasons at Pitt. There were a lot more positives than negatives overall, and it was obviously a mistake to fire him. That said, anyone can dig through the negatives and ignore the big picture. No coach is going to come in and do substantially better. To think they are is living in a fantasy land. The ONLY way it happens is if the admin/booster culture changes at Pitt and they go rogue like Hugh Freeze & Ole Miss or Art Briles and Baylor. Pitt's recruiting has been nothing but mediocre since they ran Gottfried. That isn't going to change.

And for the Wisky/Chryst lovers, I don't know if 3 years makes a trend, but the mighty Badgers are averaging 4 losses a year for the past 3 years.
Wanny stunk his first 3 years. When he figured some of it out, he probably had Pitt at their absolute peak. 10 wins and really they should’ve had 12 that year if they don’t blow Cincy and NC State. That big East was around the same as the ACC coastal. He shouldn’t have been pushed out, fired, asked to make staff changes whatever you want to say at that time without a plan. Similar to pushing Jamie Dixon to leave without a plan. Wouldn’t have had a problem moving on from either if they had a plan. The Miami loss at home his last year when the players were dancing down 31-3 made his forcing out ok for me. Obviously that’s assuming we don’t hire Haywood and Graham after.

I think there's a lot more to the SEC than just UK. Oats has Bruce Pearl & AU in his back yard. LSU, Arkansas, Tennessee and Florida aren't bad programs either. There are other good coaches in the league in Kermit Davis, Ben Howland, and Buzz Williams.
Something we can agree on… the SEC is an absolute monster in hoops right now because they’ve hired so well.

Reactions: TD_6082
He shouldn’t have been pushed out, fired, asked to make staff changes whatever you want to say at that time without a plan.

I highlighted the key part of the sentence. The problem wasn't firing him, the problem was firing him with no plan what so ever as to what should come next. For a P5 AD to be so completely and utterly unprepared for a coaching change at one of his two big sports would be inconceivable at most schools.

But not at Pitt.

Wanny stunk his first 3 years. When he figured some of it out, he probably had Pitt at their absolute peak. 10 wins and really they should’ve had 12 that year if they don’t blow Cincy and NC State. That big East was around the same as the ACC coastal. He shouldn’t have been pushed out, fired, asked to make staff changes whatever you want to say at that time without a plan. Similar to pushing Jamie Dixon to leave without a plan. Wouldn’t have had a problem moving on from either if they had a plan. The Miami loss at home his last year when the players were dancing down 31-3 made his forcing out ok for me. Obviously that’s assuming we don’t hire Haywood and Graham after.

The plan thing sounds good in theory. I'm not sure how all that really plays out in reality. In this day and age, with agents and the money that is tossed around, it's hard to set up succession plans. Wasn't Muschamp coach in waiting at Texas? Wasn't there some plan announced to the public to replace Boeheim, and going further back, Lute Olson at AZ?

90% of the time, these AD's and people signing off on the hire are winging once they cut someone loose. Because often times, when there is a plan, another school has the same plan. All the while, agents and coaches are spreading disinformation and bluffing to sweeten their pot. It's often a game of dominoes and pure luck.

When Pitt makes a coaching change in football, their routes are fairly limited as who they can realistically get. 1) a perceived up & comer at a non-P5 conference who isn't yet very established or well compensated 2) A P5 coordinator 3) retread (either college or NFL) That's what they are going to get EVERY time. And the next guy up is going to face the same recruiting challenges and have the same ceiling. Add in new staff, new system, severed recruiting relationships, players that leave... It's a pretty good bet the program would take a step back before it moved forward. Not to mention that all this comes with an added financial cost.

The current product isn't that bad. At least you can go to games knowing Pitt is going to bring a fight and be in the game late with a chance to win against almost any team they play. Obviously there are a few exceptions, but if a team is going to blow Pitt out, they have to be pretty damn good.

Eventually, Pitt will put together a season where they will win a few more of those 50/50 games and they will get their 9 or 10 win season. They still aren't going to be talented enough to do anything really special though.

At least that's my 2 cents of Pitt football.

Last edited:
I agree. If mediocrity is all you want, Wanny is your guy. If you don't prefer him, you can do the same with his twin brother from a different mother, Pat Narduzzi.

I'm curious as to how the hell do you expect a coach to be anything other than mediocre at Pitt when Pitt is a mediocre job where it is impossible to recruit anything other than mediocre overall talent? Coaches don't take mediocre talent and produce great teams. Hell, Nick Saban was mediocre at Michigan State. No coach can win a championship at MSU.

This isn't about coaching. It's about Pitt. 40 years ago, it was a totally different story. Johnny Majors wasn't even .500 at Iowa State. Pitt gave him free reign to get TALENT, whether that meant extra benefits, or giving out tons of scholarships.

TBH, Wanny had the best chance at being a great coach at Pitt. He was the one guy that I thought could change the culture and get the Pitt admin to look the other way so Pitt could once again compete for high level recruits. It didn't work out that way. We still got mediocre recruiting, hence, mediocre results.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I'm curious as to how the hell do you expect a coach to be anything other than mediocre at Pitt when Pitt is a mediocre job where it is impossible to recruit anything other than mediocre overall talent?

Well obviously the way is to hire a good, young, up and coming coach who will someday be at a better place in his career to even consider taking a job like Pitt's, but who isn't there yet.

But that's really hard to do. It's especially hard to do when you decide to hire a career mediocrity like Dave Wannstedt, simply because he went to your school. But that's what many Pitt fans and certainly many Pitt administrators have wanted. Someone who would be content to be at Pitt for the rest of their lives. As long as that remains one of the main hiring criteria, the chances that Pitt actually accomplishes that difficult feat of hiring a good coach is that much worse.

I'm curious as to why you are so content with rampant mediocrity, and am curious as to whether or not you accept that in all aspects of your life, or if it's just Pitt football that you have consigned to perpetual mediocrity.

The plan thing sounds good in theory. I'm not sure how all that really plays out in reality. In this day and age, with agents and the money that is tossed around, it's hard to set up succession plans. Wasn't Muschamp coach in waiting at Texas? Wasn't there some plan announced to the public to replace Boeheim, and going further back, Lute Olson at AZ?

90% of the time, these AD's and people signing off on the hire are winging once they cut someone loose. Because often times, when there is a plan, another school has the same plan. All the while, agents and coaches are spreading disinformation and bluffing to sweeten their pot. It's often a game of dominoes and pure luck.

When Pitt makes a coaching change in football, their routes are fairly limited as who they can realistically get. 1) a perceived up & comer at a non-P5 conference who isn't yet very established or well compensated 2) A P5 coordinator 3) retread (either college or NFL) That's what they are going to get EVERY time. And the next guy up is going to face the same recruiting challenges and have the same ceiling. Add in new staff, new system, severed recruiting relationships, players that leave... It's a pretty good bet the program would take a step back before it moved forward. Not to mention that all this comes with an added financial cost.

The current product isn't that bad. At least you can go to games knowing Pitt is going to bring a fight and be in the game late with a chance to win against almost any team they play. Obviously there are a few exceptions, but if a team is going to blow Pitt out, they have to be pretty damn good.

Eventually, Pitt will put together a season where they will win a few more of those 50/50 games and they will get their 9 or 10 win season. They still aren't going to be talented enough to do anything really special though.

At least that's my 2 cents of Pitt football.
I didn’t mean a coach in waiting. I meant more of an idea of who you’re gonna hire. Not some guy who takes naps pre-game and compares his teams to Freddie Kruger

Well obviously the way is to hire a good, young, up and coming coach who will someday be at a better place in his career to even consider taking a job like Pitt's, but who isn't there yet.

But that's really hard to do. It's especially hard to do when you decide to hire a career mediocrity like Dave Wannstedt, simply because he went to your school. But that's what many Pitt fans and certainly many Pitt administrators have wanted. Someone who would be content to be at Pitt for the rest of their lives. As long as that remains one of the main hiring criteria, the chances that Pitt actually accomplishes that difficult feat of hiring a good coach is that much worse.

I'm curious as to why you are so content with rampant mediocrity, and am curious as to whether or not you accept that in all aspects of your life, or if it's just Pitt football that you have consigned to perpetual mediocrity.
You're smarter than this because your argument is absurd. If Pitt were to hire someone that you consider to be a good, young, up and coming coach 1) that person is NOT going to produce significantly better than results than we have now. Therefore you're still going to get mediocrity and 2) they aren't going to stay long and their departure will be a bit of a setback.

FWIW, I think Jeff Hafley is a good, young up and comer. He's not going to produce anything other than mediocre results at BC. If he's lucky, he will land a job where he can actually recruit elite talent. (and please don't humor me with the current recruiting rankings. I'm aware of BC's class & it has 19 commits with 3 4-star guys and the rest 3 stars. can't win like that.) If not, he'll stay at BC and draw a nice paycheck until their fanbase gets tired of 6 to 9 win mediocrity and decide to move on.

And didn't Pitt hire up and comers in Todd Graham and Paul Chryst? They parlayed their "success" at Pitt into a bigger and better job (at least in their eyes) Pitt also hired up and coming AD's in Steve Pederson, Jeff Long, and Scott Barnes. They all used Pitt to find that better place in their career.

I'm curious as to why you are a Pitt fan. Do you accept mediocrity in all aspects of your life or just out of the college athletic teams you choose to root for?

I can't believe you still don't get it. Go take a nice long drive in a Porsche and then take one in a Chevy Cruze. I'm pretty sure the Porsche is going to perform better every time, regardless of the driver. The driver is the coach and the program is the car. Our admin is going to keep handing whoever they hire keys to the Chevy. That isn't changing. I've accepted that.

Your last paragraph says everything about you . Someone’s pointing out the obvious, that Pitt isn’t in it to win on a national level and you question the posters outlook on life . None of us have any input into the way Pitt conducts its athletic programs and that has nothing to do with how any of us choose to conduct our own personal lives . Not seeing this makes me question what exactly you’ve been observing with regards to the Fb and bb programs at Pitt ? Pitt is totally satisfied with mediocrity in its Fb and bb programs especially if they run clean programs .

The only way Pitt hires a great young up and coming coach will be by accident . Why would anyone risk their bright future coaching at Pitt when the administration handcuffs it’s head coaches .

I agree. If mediocrity is all you want, Wanny is your guy. If you don't prefer him, you can do the same with his twin brother from a different mother, Pat Narduzzi.

Wanny was much better than gym coach, good lord! Wanny was getting the recruiting rolling when the bucked tooth fool allowed the biggest fool, Pederson to fire Wanny, Nordy sucked as well

Pitt is totally satisfied with mediocrity in its Fb and bb programs

The question is, are you?

That's what you and TD can't seem to grasp. If you really think that all Pitt aspires to is mediocrity, why are you content with that? In fact if all you guys think that Pitt can ever be is mediocre, why are you even a Pitt fan at all? Do you like mediocre? Are you fine with seven win football seasons and (hopefully, someday) being a mid to lower level (but not at the bottom) basketball program in perpetuity? And if so, why?

If you are, I mean that's certainly your right. But it absolutely raises the question that if you are so willing to accept mediocrity in this part of your life if you are equally willing to accept it in the rest of your life, or if you expect more out of your family and friends and career and other entertainment options and all the rest?

Your last paragraph says everything about you . Someone’s pointing out the obvious, that Pitt isn’t in it to win on a national level and you question the posters outlook on life . None of us have any input into the way Pitt conducts its athletic programs and that has nothing to do with how any of us choose to conduct our own personal lives . Not seeing this makes me question what exactly you’ve been observing with regards to the Fb and bb programs at Pitt ? Pitt is totally satisfied with mediocrity in its Fb and bb programs especially if they run clean programs .

The only way Pitt hires a great young up and coming coach will be by accident . Why would anyone risk their bright future coaching at Pitt when the administration handcuffs it’s head coaches .

Bingo

That's what you and TD can't seem to grasp. If you really think that all Pitt aspires to is mediocrity, why are you content with that? In fact if all you guys think that Pitt can ever be is mediocre, why are you even a Pitt fan at all? Do you like mediocre? Are you fine with seven win football seasons and (hopefully, someday) being a mid to lower level (but not at the bottom) basketball program in perpetuity? And if so, why?

If you are, I mean that's certainly your right. But it absolutely raises the question that if you are so willing to accept mediocrity in this part of your life if you are equally willing to accept it in the rest of your life, or if you expect more out of your family and friends and career and other entertainment options and all the rest?
I became a Pitt football fan when I was a kid when Pitt was a dominant program and in the midst of the glory years.

In football, Pitt CAN be more than mediocre. They have to make it a priority and the administration and monied boosters have to be willing to put as much money (including dark money for recruiting) and resources towards that goal as the college football elite do. Until that happens, no, Pitt cannot be anything more than mediocre.

Basketball is a different story. They can, and should strive to be a lot better than what they have been post-2011. The talent gap has been so diluted by the one & dones and the way the NBA drafts on potential, its hard for the blue bloods to dominate the sport.

Neither is acceptable. Narduzzi has greatly underachieved thru 6 years, is 18-17 against FBs competition with his players and has a 5th year starter at QB. If he gets another year after he underachieves AGAIN this year it’s simply because Lyke has tied herself to much to both coaches.

lol you got me there man. Winning the worst division in football and going 6-7 against FBS competition including 8 yards passing in the ACc title game was quite the monumental season in Pittsburgh football history. I know I’ll always hold dear that coastal title losing the last 3 games of the season.
we all get your disdain for duzz. this is a hoops thread. bringing in the fb coach is as relevant as bringing in any other pitt sports coach. why not the track or baseball coach. the duzz hate is strong with you

Wanny's ceiling when he had 5 stars all over the roster was a 3-way tie for the Big East and national tv losses to UConn and WVU (by 25). Wanny sent Randy Edsall to the Fiesta Bowl lmao.

A person doesn't have to accept mediocrity in their personal lives and seldom does, just because they do accept it in some sports teams. The two are totally separate issues. Besides football, basketball and sports in general just aren't that important and don't qualify as something that should be cared about all that much. At least not nearly as much as your personal life, your family, or your relationships. Sports is a nice, sometimes annoying distraction, nothing more.

If you equate sports with life in general or with important things in life, you need to take an account of your priorities and get a life.

What your missing is that I have no control over whether Pitt is a national power or a mediocre middle of the pack ACC team in Fb and bb . I enjoy watching college hoops and my team is Pitt so I have a rooting interest in them whether they win or lose.
I don’t lose sleep or abuse my family if they lose , it’s just a game .

My interest in Pitt Fb is minimal , but I still follow their progress or lack of it .

Besides football, basketball and sports in general just aren't that important and don't qualify as something that should be cared about all that much. At least not nearly as much as your personal life, your family, or your relationships. Sports is a nice, sometimes annoying distraction, nothing more.

Which is exactly why you shouldn't accept mediocrity.

I mean seriously, do you find out that some movie that just came out is getting mediocre reviews so you rush out to see it? Or if some band that you don't really like but they aren't the worst out there is coming to town do you buy a ticket? Or do you sit there in the evenings and watch television shows that you don't really think are any good, but hey, why not, it's not the worst either?

I'm not saying that you never end up seeing a movie or a concert or a television show or whatever that isn't mediocre (or worse), but who sets out to do that on purpose? What's the difference between that and thinking that Pitt football (or basketball, or whatever) is only ever going to be mediocre (or worse) and there is no real chance for it to be much better than that, but what the heck, I'm going to keep watching anyway?

Which is exactly why you shouldn't accept mediocrity.

I mean seriously, do you find out that some movie that just came out is getting mediocre reviews so you rush out to see it? Or if some band that you don't really like but they aren't the worst out there is coming to town do you buy a ticket? Or do you sit there in the evenings and watch television shows that you don't really think are any good, but hey, why not, it's not the worst either?

I'm not saying that you never end up seeing a movie or a concert or a television show or whatever that isn't mediocre (or worse), but who sets out to do that on purpose? What's the difference between that and thinking that Pitt football (or basketball, or whatever) is only ever going to be mediocre (or worse) and there is no real chance for it to be much better than that, but what the heck, I'm going to keep watching anyway?
Well funny that you should say why would you continue to watch medicore Fb and bb , well have you looked at the attendance at Pitt Fb and bb games ? A lot of fans have already checked out . I don’t know what the local tv and radio ratings are , but I’m sure they’re down substantially too .

Had there been a Big East network back in JDs heydays I’d have subscribed to it in a heartbeat, but now I catch the games I can on ESPN . I have no desire to add the ACC network to my already inflated cable bill . Now if they’d be a contender that’s a different story .

Accepting what the reality of a situation is that you have no control over is your only choice if you want to continue following the Panthers . That doesn’t mean you don’t want them to succeed and hope something changes in how the university approaches winning , but your choice is to accept the product they put out there or stop watching . It doesn’t get any simpler than that .

ps … bitching and complaining on a message board doesn’t change a thing

Reactions: WannyandWalt
Well funny that you should say why would you continue to watch medicore Fb and bb , well have you looked at the attendance at Pitt Fb and bb games ? A lot of fans have already checked out . I don’t know what the local tv and radio ratings are , but I’m sure they’re down substantially too .

Had there been a Big East network back in JDs heydays I’d have subscribed to it in a heartbeat, but now I catch the games I can on ESPN . I have no desire to add the ACC network to my already inflated cable bill . Now if they’d be a contender that’s a different story .

Accepting what the reality of a situation is that you have no control over is your only choice if you want to continue following the Panthers . That doesn’t mean you don’t want them to succeed and hope something changes in how the university approaches winning , but your choice is to accept the product they put out there or stop watching . It doesn’t get any simpler than that .

ps … bitching and complaining on a message board doesn’t change a thing

I use to drive 5 hours each way for years, stopped that shit 4 years ago, I did the same as you as far as cable , still root for Pitt but going, nope, lost that passion over the mediocrity for 35 years , it gets you eventually, we were once die hards big time

Reactions: Fsgolfdr
ADVERTISEMENT