ADVERTISEMENT

Local media outraged!!!

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
All over twitter last night, local writers are "outraged" over Narduzzi's decision to keep his players away from the media in the run up to the PSU game.

Who cares? I certainly don't. Is anyone's life affected because there won't be any Max Browne quotes this week? No Ffrench sound bites? Say it ain't so!!!

I get it. It's the world that the reporters live in. So they are pissed. But they need to understand that we don't care. Their job is to report to us...but if Narduzzi wants to repeat what worked for him last year, so be it. Furthermore, maybe these reporters should care more about Pitt football the other 360 days per year.

When do any of the local media heap unconditional praise upon pitt (like what occurs in almost every other college town?) Hell I live 2 hrs away from State college and the local tv and print media slurp every Penn State story up. Take the time to look online on a Saturday and Sunday at the patriot news and the york daily record (2 locals near me). Nothing but wall to wall Penn State slurp pieces. So cry me a river to any Pittsburgh media type that doesn't have access to players this week. I would never ask for pitt fluff pieces....all that I would ask is that when the Pittsburgh media is writing about the Steelers pre season game or the 110th pirate game of the year, that they don't take the time to throw a garbage sentence or two about pitt attendance or pitt struggling against ysu. I actually have pretty low standards. Until then though, they can all go pound sand.

The local media kills me. The group bashes pitt every chance they get, they give back handed insults when they have articles that seem to be positive then boom... the insult comes. F them.

All over twitter last night, local writers are "outraged" over Narduzzi's decision to keep his players away from the media in the run up to the PSU game.

Who cares? I certainly don't. Is anyone's life affected because there won't be any Max Browne quotes this week? No Ffrench sound bites? Say it ain't so!!!

I get it. It's the world that the reporters live in. So they are pissed. But they need to understand that we don't care. Their job is to report to us...but if Narduzzi wants to repeat what worked for him last year, so be it. Furthermore, maybe these reporters should care more about Pitt football the other 360 days per year.
F the local media, and start with cook..

I will go one more. Everyone recognizes pitt has attendance issues. So why doesn't anyone in the local media analyze how pitt compares to other programs in pro cities. Have they done an analysis on ways to assist in adding attendance as a means to help the local economy? I am not blaming the media here as that is the responsibility of Pitts athletic dept and us as fans for showing up. But I would speculate that if a program situated in a small town was struggling, the media would look for answers rather than ripping it day and night.

Also if I were pitt, I would start granting exclusives to certain reporters that are fair. We all know peak is fair. Jerry D. from the trib has always treated pitt objectively and fair. Zeise, when he rips pitt, does it in a sarcastic way (often mentioning the mighty temple owls.) and I always thought he was fair. Aside from them, I would ignore the rest. Again, i dont need puff pieces. I dont think jerry has ever done a puff piece. But he had never gone out of his way to rip pitt when it was unwarranted

Also if I were pitt, I would start granting exclusives to certain reporters that are fair. We all know peak is fair. Jerry D. from the trib has always treated pitt objectively and fair. Zeise, when he rips pitt, does it in a sarcastic way (often mentioning the mighty temple owls.) and I always thought he was fair. Aside from them, I would ignore the rest. Again, i dont need puff pieces. I dont think jerry has ever done a puff piece. But he had never gone out of his way to rip pitt when it was unwarranted

Pomp is good too.

Zeise won't be able until his kid graduates.

Fake News! Me thinks coach should take to twitter and call them out...

They can't control this President either , it's a different animal but the same in many ways. TO HELL WITH THE MEDIA

I will go one more. Everyone recognizes pitt has attendance issues. So why doesn't anyone in the local media analyze how pitt compares to other programs in pro cities. Have they done an analysis on ways to assist in adding attendance as a means to help the local economy? I am not blaming the media here as that is the responsibility of Pitts athletic dept and us as fans for showing up. But I would speculate that if a program situated in a small town was struggling, the media would look for answers rather than ripping it day and night.

What you are requesting would take work from the media. Most "journalist" are lazy and narrow minded.

Reactions: vietvet1
I want us to win this game so bad, slim looking this year for that to happen, but I want Pitt to kick the living shiiiit out of the Pedo's

Reactions: 88Pitt88
I want us to win this game so bad, slim looking this year for that to happen, but I want Pitt to kick the living shiiiit out of the Pedo's
I could be wrong but it seems to me the last time Pitt was more than a two td underdog to a cocky arrogant heated rival on the road something interesting occurred.

It's fair for reporters to be upset considering getting quotes is part of their jobs. Also, aren't you the slightest bit curious how the players feel about this game or that speaking to the media before a rivalry game is a part of the learning experience as a college football player?

I want Pitt coverage and there is a less of it with this sorta of ridiculous play by Narduzzi. Already in this thread the entire idea of the "media outrage" is being deflected to "they hate Pitt" and "they never say anything bad about Penn State." Who cares? They're offering Pitt coverage now and we don't get to hear what the players think about this game.

I could be wrong but it seems to me the last time Pitt was more than a two td underdog to a cocky arrogant heated rival on the road something interesting occurred.

I was there for that game you are speaking about :)

It's fair for reporters to be upset considering getting quotes is part of their jobs. Also, aren't you the slightest bit curious how the players feel about this game or that speaking to the media before a rivalry game is a part of the learning experience as a college football player?

I want Pitt coverage and there is a less of it with this sorta of ridiculous play by Narduzzi. Already in this thread the entire idea of the "media outrage" is being deflected to "they hate Pitt" and "they never say anything bad about Penn State." Who cares? They're offering Pitt coverage now and we don't get to hear what the players think about this game.

Disagree, they are only looking for ways to rip Pitt, or act condescending ways towards Pitt, as you see by their examples every day in other coverage outside of sports, an agenda always. They are NOT PITTs friends

Disagree, they are only looking for ways to rip Pitt, or act condescending ways towards Pitt, as you see by their examples every day in other coverage outside of sports, an agenda always. They are NOT PITTs friends

There are unnecessary shots some take at Pitt, but the whole "poor me" attitude from Pitt fans gets old.

Pitt fans don't show up to games, not the media.
Pitt fans don't donate to the athletic funds, not the media.
Pitt administration doesn't support the football program as much as they could, not the media.
Pitt was an embarrassment of hires and fires over the past decade, not the media.
Pitt is not allowing its players to talk to the media during the biggest game of the year. The media could easily say we're not covering it but they're showing up in the building.

I have no interest in players thoughts before any game. I am only interested in what they think after the game.

I suspect the media wants Pitt to 100% copy the Steelers-NFL approach to its care and feeding. It is what they are comfortable with. College is a different beast. Teams can try radically different approaches from game to game whereas NFL is same old same old with a few tweaks based on opponents personnel.

There are unnecessary shots some take at Pitt, but the whole "poor me" attitude from Pitt fans gets old.

Pitt administration doesn't support the football program as much as they could, not the media.
Pitt was an embarrassment of hires and fires over the past decade, not the media.
Pitt is not allowing its players to talk to the media during the biggest game of the year. The media could easily say we're not covering it but they're showing up in the building.
I agree with a lot of what you said, but you know these PS fanboys in the media would do something to stir the pot.

Good points and thank you.

Reactions: Burgh15

That is a fair point. The negativity and bias is just too egregious to make seeing "quotes" worth it though.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
I agree with a lot of what you said, but you know these PS fanboys in the media would do something to stir the pot.

Maybe they would, or maybe they'd do their job and cover the team fairly. By not allowing the players to speak, you are playing right into their hands and give them a reason to stir the pot.

Reactions: 1hugegeek
The local media loves to mess with Pitt. You got all the PSU alums, including that old wannabe tough guy who covers the Pirates for the corpse of the Trib openly bashing Pitt and arguing with Pitt fans during the Rose Bowl, as well as the guy in charge of the PG sports dept. Others too.

Then you got some WVU hacks, namely a guy who just tries to troll to get attention, and a younger guy that somehow got his own radio show who openly roots for WVU/bashes Pitt in his role as a "Steelers guy" when he gets the chance (was a guest on Mark Madden's show and literally prefaced a question on Conner by saying "I'm a WVU guy, so I'm not real big on him" (something like that - like no one cares bro)).

Then the Syracuse clowns, one of which has some radio show with some old guy that no one (should) listens to, and another who has worked about a million different jobs and mostly likes to troll, especially with Pitt attendance.

With all that said, yeah, there are guys in the local media that are fair to Pitt. But boy, you really don't see any negative stuff on PSU at all from the media aside from Mark Madden riling up Paterno people on his show.

I have no interest in players thoughts before any game. I am only interested in what they think after the game.

I suspect the media wants Pitt to 100% copy the Steelers-NFL approach to its care and feeding. It is what they are comfortable with. College is a different beast. Teams can try radically different approaches from game to game whereas NFL is same old same old with a few tweaks based on opponents personnel.
If the media kissed our ass like they get ... or geez, even like the Pirates get ... heck yeah, give them all the access in the world. We know it's the opposite of that.

The local media loves to mess with Pitt. You got all the PSU alums, including that old wannabe tough guy who covers the Pirates for the corpse of the Trib openly bashing Pitt and arguing with Pitt fans during the Rose Bowl, as well as the guy in charge of the PG sports dept. Others too.

Then you got some WVU hacks, namely a guy who just tries to troll to get attention, and a younger guy that somehow got his own radio show who openly roots for WVU/bashes Pitt in his role as a "Steelers guy" when he gets the chance (was a guest on Mark Madden's show and literally prefaced a question on Conner by saying "I'm a WVU guy, so I'm not real big on him" (something like that - like no one cares bro)).

Then the Syracuse clowns, one of which has some radio show with some old guy that no one (should) listens to, and another who has worked about a million different jobs and mostly likes to troll, especially with Pitt attendance.

With all that said, yeah, there are guys in the local media that are fair to Pitt. But boy, you really don't see any negative stuff on PSU at all from the media aside from Mark Madden riling up Paterno people on his show.

I heard that clown from WVU say that as well, I was like , NOWHERE ELSE WOULD THAT BE ALLOWED TO FLY BUT IN PITTSBURGH AGAINST PITT

I heard that clown from WVU say that as well, I was like , NOWHERE ELSE WOULD THAT BE ALLOWED TO FLY BUT IN PITTSBURGH AGAINST PITT
Honestly, that is not even so bad. It's just old fashioned ball breaking among rivals. Like when we say stuff about their drunkenness, horrible academics, etc.

But WVU to my knowledge never raped dozens of children. That is the big difference. PSU FOOTBALL SHOULD NOT EXIST.

Which is bad enough in regular circumstances ... columns are one thing, but bias has no place in straight news ... but it's particularly disgusting BECAUSE OF THEIR DESPICABLE CHILD RAPE SCANDAL. THEIR PROGRAM SHOULD NOT EXIST.

Could you imagine the local sports guys, had Pitt had the rapist and defended said rapist and others. Those same clowns who said nothing about PSU, would be screaming for our program to be shut down

Honestly, that is not even so bad. It's just old fashioned ball breaking among rivals. Like when we say stuff about their drunkenness, horrible academics, etc.

But WVU to my knowledge never raped dozens of children. That is the big difference. PSU FOOTBALL SHOULD NOT EXIST.

You won't ever hear any local WVU sports guys rip WVU for Pitt, and there are some working in WV. The ripping back and forth agree, but not ripping local team by the enemy on the teams own turf, no way in hell

AND THEY SHOULD. We SHOULD have it shut down if that happened!

Agree, but my point is the AGENDA, not a peep out of most of the local sports guys about it much at all, except to defend it, COOK etc. Those same guys that kept quiet or defended PSU, would be calling for Pitts head. AND WE ARE TALKING ABOUT PITT WRITERS.

The media has some skin in this. If they had always covered Pitt as a hometown team, as they should have been covered, maybe just maybe more people would be interested and more fans would attend the games. Instead, the media takes pot shots at Pitt at every turn while propping up a school where the coaches either participated in or condoned the rape of young boys for decades and the administration was part of the murder of a young man in a fraternity. If that's what they like, I don't want them.

My whole stand on anything the media says is to not believe any of it. It doesn't matter what is covered....sports, local news, international news. None of it is believable and all of it is just more propaganda. And when the local news covers anything, it's all for sensationalism and ratings, not as news reporters. News reporters aren't smart enough to make commentary on anything, yet they can't resist the urge to politicize everything and throw their little comments in. They're not getting paid to comment on anything. They're getting paid to report the news. They can't even do that in a factual manner.

You won't ever hear any local WVU sports guys rip WVU for Pitt, and there are some working in WV. The ripping back and forth agree, but not ripping local team by the enemy on the teams own turf, no way in hell
In those situations, I just say it's (1) the few local reps we have in the media responsibility to give it back, and (2) it's our program's responsibility to improve it's program and win, which is the ultimate sock down the throat response. If your program sucks, you kind of deserve the mockery. I don't even mind the "fair" criticism in other channels (though the attendance thing is absolute bullshit, just invented as a fake item to criticize about).

We stunk on Saturday, deserved to lose, really DID lose for most intents and purposes (national pride, if nothing else) and totally deserved criticism for it. If the program doesn't like it, GET BETTER. Criticism CAN have a healthy purpose. Nothing wrong with that (though it's mildly annoying that the media won't abuse the Pirates in the least when they lose by design).

Again, the PSU thing is a trillion times worse. This is the most despicable pack of heathens in existence. It's outright satanic to support them.

He annoys me with some of the stuff he says, but I'm still admittedly kind of a sucker for Madden's schtick, enough to sometimes give his show a listen when I'm bored at work in the afternoon.

Anyway, I know he said he'll talk some about Pitt/PSU this week, so here's pretty much the gist of what he'll have to say: "PSU will kill Pitt this week" and "No one cares about Pitt which is why I don't talk about them much".

No one really calls into his show to talk Pitt, and to that I say who cares. We got our own outlets to discuss Pitt, and he thinks Wannstedt should've never been fired, Pitt is perennially destined to be mediocre and Narduzzi will leave for MSU. Could be true, but yea I'll pass on talking Pitt with that kind of positivity... just stick to the Pens and bashing the Pirates/Steelers' locker room personalities.

Reactions: pittdan77
He annoys me with some of the stuff he says, but I'm still admittedly kind of a sucker for Madden's schtick, enough to sometimes give his show a listen when I'm bored at work in the afternoon.

Anyway, I know he said he'll talk some about Pitt/PSU this week, so here's pretty much the gist of what he'll have to say: "PSU will kill Pitt this week" and "No one cares about Pitt which is why I don't talk about them much".

No one really calls into his show to talk Pitt, and to that I say who cares. We got our own outlets to discuss Pitt, and he thinks Wannstedt should've never been fired, Pitt is perennially destined to be mediocre and Narduzzi will leave for MSU. Could be true, but yea I'll pass on talking Pitt with that kind of positivity... just stick to the Pens and bashing the Pirates/Steelers' locker room personalities.
Sadly it's pretty hard to refute most of that ...

But, and Peak should just ban me because I'm not going to let it go, especially this week ... PSU SHOULD NOT HAVE A PROGRAM DUE TO THE CHILD RAPES.

They're showing up because they expect PSU to annihilate us.

They ignored our basketball games with PSU almost completely (back when we were kiling them...we can miraculously expect heavy coverage THIS year now that they'll have a chance to win).

It's their right I suppose ... but Pitt is doing the right thing to tell them to stick it up their ass. Something that Penn State should know very well.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Pitt is the kid that is easy to bully. Pitt's own alumni and administration do not care enough about itself to stand up and do something about it. Sad but true.
Pitt itself should be the bully. Nothing is more important to this miserable region that the University and it's (somewhat detached now) medical arm. Time to throw the freakin' weight around for once. I'm glad to see it.

I think it is dumb and hurts Pitt, but it is HCPN call and I don't care at all about the "local media" being bent out of shape about it, beyond it likely causing more friction. The bigger issue is winning games and that needs to happen.

Reactions: vietvet1
That is true. If PS basketball were to actually win they would start covering them. Since they have sucked for so long they do not cover it unless they win. The local media is a f'in joke and a propoganda arm of PS.
But girl's volleyball suddenly becomes front page news when...guess what ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT